• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Not talking about covid and ivermectin, but the assertion that it is not rock solid FDA approved for it is not a sensible reason for it not to be used at all. Maybe the evidence actually is crap and it is a bad idea or maybe it meets a threshhold of risk/reward. But again lack of full rock solid FDA approval does not rule out off label usage. This is from the CDC website about ivermectin for use with scabies.

I bolded the part saying it is a last resort

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html

Ivermectin Brand name product: Stromectol* Ivermectin is an oral antiparasitic agent approved for the treatment of worm infestations. Evidence suggests that oral ivermectin may be a safe and effective treatment for scabies; however, ivermectin is not FDA-approved for this use. Oral ivermectin should be considered for patients who have failed treatment with or who cannot tolerate FDA-approved topical medications for the treatment of scabies. If used for classic scabies, two doses of oral ivermectin (200µg/kg/dose) should be taken with food, each approximately one week apart. The safety of ivermectin in children weighing less than 15 kg and in pregnant women has not been established.
Note that although ivermectin guidelines recommend taking on an empty stomach, scabies experts recommend taking with a meal to increase bioavailability (CITE NEJM Currie article).

Are you lunatic radicals going to the CDC headquarters with pitchforks over this scabies usage allowance?

Can you explain how ivermectin is effective against the covid virus?

Not talking about covid and ivermectin, but the assertion that it is not rock solid FDA approved for it is not a sensible reason for it not to be used at all. Maybe the evidence actually is crap and it is a bad idea or maybe it meets a threshhold of risk/reward. But again lack of full rock solid FDA approval does not rule out off label usage. This is from the CDC website about ivermectin for use with scabies.

Ivermectin Brand name product: Stromectol* Ivermectin is an oral antiparasitic agent approved for the treatment of worm infestations. Evidence suggests that oral ivermectin may be a safe and effective treatment for scabies; however, ivermectin is not FDA-approved for this use. Oral ivermectin should be considered for patients who have failed treatment with or who cannot tolerate FDA-approved topical medications for the treatment of scabies. If used for classic scabies, two doses of oral ivermectin (200µg/kg/dose) should be taken with food, each approximately one week apart. The safety of ivermectin in children weighing less than 15 kg and in pregnant women has not been established.
Note that although ivermectin guidelines recommend taking on an empty stomach, scabies experts recommend taking with a meal to increase bioavailability (CITE NEJM Currie article).

Are you lunatic radicals going to the CDC headquarters with pitchforks over this scabies usage allowance?

Using an antiparasitic medication against a parasitic condition for which it is not specifically approved is a far cry from using it against a viral infection.

If you don't understand just how wildly different viruses are from multicellular parasites, then you really need to STFU.

Indeed, all of your posts on this thread, and many on other threads, indicate a lack of understanding of the topic that would suggest S-ingTFU to be the wisest course.

Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt...

What do you mean? When I had Shingles my doctor rushed me to the local Livestock Feed store to get dewormer! ;)

Can you explain how ivermectin is effective against the covid virus?

You lunatic radical! It's effective against covid bc the Q virus says it is!

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/US_FDA/status/1429050070243192839[/TWEET]

I can't point out the significance of this tweet enough: the government has decided that our population is so dumb that it has to speak redneck to us.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/US_FDA/status/1429050070243192839[/TWEET]

I can't point out the significance of this tweet enough: the government has decided that our population is so dumb that it has to speak redneck to us.
And people complained that the tweet was immature.

Meanwhile we have people running out to take dewormer to protect themselves from a Covid-19 pandemic they say is a lie

They trust other deluded clowns on the internet more than doctors.

Until they get sick.

Then they run to the doctors.

In general I would agree, but in this case I can't see how the doctor could have legally written the prescription.
That may lead to complications further down the road, sure. But right now, there are doctors willing to feed the desires of the criminally suggestible. I hope such doctors get the same treatment as the lawyers that pushed Trump's election lies...

My understanding is that doctors are only allowed to write for patients they have seen (telehealth counts) in the last year.

Victoria has now joined NSW in capitulating to Delta, putting more pressure on the remaining state governments to do the same.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-02/victoria-and-nsw-abandon-covid-zero-analysis/100426124

My big fear at this point is that the "70% of over 16s" vaccination target has become entrenched. It was agreed last year, when the extant strain was Alpha, and when it was believed that children didn't get Covid; But our incompetent commonweath government are now insisting that states relax border restrictions when that target is met.

70% of over 16s isn't a useful target, as it falls woefully short of the level needed for effective herd immunity, which, for Covid Delta, is at about 87.5% of the whole population.

100% vaccination of people older than 16 years wouldn't achieve herd immunity, as 0-16 year olds are about 18.3% of Australia's population.

These targets would, perhaps, have been appropriate for the original strain, or for Alpha, both of which were less contagious. But Delta cannot be contained by vaccination alone until that 87.5% of the whole population (including children) mark is reached.

Opening up at the 57% vaccination rate implied by the '70% of over 16 year olds' figure, would be disastrous.

We need a plan that can save lives and continue our successes to date (at least outside NSW), not just one that sounds attractive to embattled politicians and their weary constituents.

And now an Ohio judge has ordered a hospital to treat a covid patient with Ivermectin.

Seems the patient's wife found a doctor crazy enough to write a prescription for it, but the hospital was refusing to administer it.
Clearly, judges do not take any oath to 'do no harm.'

Am I correct that such a judicial order — perhaps commanding a physician to violate his Hippocratic Oath — is quite unusual? If so, it is further demonstration of how far into madness the U.S. has sunk.

Note that the same ilk applauding this order would throw a conniption if the judge had ordered a baker to make a wedding cake.

More to the point, they're the ones that favor conscience clauses for healthcare workers to refuse to provide services (for abortions or birth control).

Insane trends as mask mandate policy leads to fewer Covid-19 cases in school.

Broward County

Miami Dade County

There school districts were going to get punished for the mask mandate! Why in the fucking hell is Desantis still in power?!

Hillsborough County not so lucky though. If it is dropping it is taking a while. Somewhat mind blowing their numbers.

CDC will need to nuzzle in with these numbers and figure out the issues here.

Back
Top Bottom