• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

E-7vmbrWYA4w8Md

It's unclear if she is speaking for the CDC or the whole Federal Government. It's OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) who would mandate vaccinations in 100+ companies. It's OSHA that has authority over health and safety in the workplace.

Electoral-Vote.com has a really good piece going into at least the "counter-argument" from the right-wing on 'this'. Long story short, Biden was going to be a "tyrant" no matter what he proposed.
Electoral-vote.com - a more permanent link, to the page for September 10.

He ordered:
  • Invoking the authority of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, businesses with 100 employees or more will be required to mandate either vaccination or regular testing (or both) for their workforces. Such business concerns employ approximately 80 million Americans, or a bit more than half of the U.S. workforce.
  • Federal government employees, and employees of federal contractors, will have to get vaccinated. They have 75 days, and there is no "or else take regular tests" exemption.
  • In an effort to keep schools open, the federal government will cover the salary of any teacher punished for imposing mask mandates, and will require the 300,000 teachers who work for the federal government (Head Start) to be vaccinated.
  • Invoking the Defense Production Act, the administration will accelerate the production of rapid-COVID tests, and will send 25 million of them to free clinics across the U.S.
  • The government will make additional money available to businesses that have been hurt by the pandemic.
  • The government will do everything it can to hasten the availability of new medicines that can help COVID-19 patients. Well, those medicines "recommended by real doctors, not conspiracy theorists," at least.
Right-wingers have been responding with what a horrible autocrat JB supposedly is.

In an effort to keep schools open, the federal government will cover the salary of any teacher punished for imposing mask mandates, and will require the 300,000 teachers who work for the federal government (Head Start) to be vaccinated.

I hope they fund that by reducing federal funds to the states that punish the teachers.
Take the money out of their highway budgets or something.
Tom

It's unclear if she is speaking for the CDC or the whole Federal Government. It's OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) who would mandate vaccinations in 100+ companies. It's OSHA that has authority over health and safety in the workplace.

But OSHA has no authority to compel people to take vaccines. None. This is all about power. Biden is the dictator the left claimed Trump to be.

But OSHA has no authority to compel people to take vaccines. None. This is all about power. Biden is the dictator the left claimed Trump to be.

OSHA has the authority to issue workplace health and safety regs. How could that not include authority to shield workers from a virus that has already killed 656,000 Americans? Don't tell me -- the definition of fighting an epidemic is now dictatorship.

So now the question is what authority is it that requires my high school kid to have a dozen vaccinations and when will Covid be just one more (for those kids illegible)? All public school kids who are eligible should have it one of those dozen other required vaccines to go to school.

You can be tested weekly if you don’t want to be vaccinated.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea if a company were to implement that, but the federal government has no basis to require it.

“ We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

Emphasis mine.

OSHA has the authority to issue workplace health and safety regs. How could that not include authority to shield workers from a virus that has already killed 656,000 Americans? Don't tell me -- the definition of fighting an epidemic is now dictatorship.

Where in this regulation does it speak to enforcement of vaccination? Or even viral disease?

CFR

You can be tested weekly if you don’t want to be vaccinated.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea if a company were to implement that, but the federal government has no basis to require it.

“ We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

Emphasis mine.

Well, the preamble doesn’t grant any authority. But if that’ll do, then the federal government can control every aspect of our lives and body; for the general welfare, of course.

in this executive order is also included a plan for how to finance it, and organise it in a way that doesn't unnecessarily complicate the lives of unvaccinated.
I don't know about elsewhere, but around here you just walk in to the Health Department and poof, you're out of there in 45 minutes. If your insurance or employer will pay they'll bill them, but it doesn't affect the service at all if you don't.
Tom

Around here you can walk in to any major pharmacy chain without an appointment and "poof" you've vaccinated. If you have insurance the insurance pays. If not the government pays.

Testing is nearly the same deal sign up for a test on-line at any major pharmacy. Drive down and do it though the drive though. No charge. I assume the government pays.

I wasn't even asked for any insurance info when I was vaxxed.

At my husband's work, they are required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID19. Apparently HR is not pleased as it has increased their work load but as my husband pointed out, it will do them good to have to do some extra work because someone else tells them to since that's what they do all day long to other people....

At my employer, we were ALWAYS required to get a vaccination against anything we might reasonably be exposed to and our supervisors were notified if we were or were not in compliance. One year, I was on leave/vacation--some kind of PTO, I forget why--when the annual flu vaccines were administered. When I got back, he met me and reminded me I needed to be vaccinated! which I was.

A lot of larger employers have held COVID19 vaccine clinics for employees. Say what you will about Amazon and I will agree that it is a horrible horrible horrible place BUT they not only provided on site vaccinations but actually paid employees $50 to be vaccinated while on the company clock. Yes, of course it's the very, very least that Bezos could do but when has that motivated him? It's not like he's going to actually....pay taxes or anything.

Around here you can walk in to any major pharmacy chain without an appointment and "poof" you've vaccinated. If you have insurance the insurance pays. If not the government pays.

Testing is nearly the same deal sign up for a test on-line at any major pharmacy. Drive down and do it though the drive though. No charge. I assume the government pays.

At my husband's work, they are required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID19. Apparently HR is not pleased as it has increased their work load but as my husband pointed out, it will do them good to have to do some extra work because someone else tells them to since that's what they do all day long to other people....

At my employer, we were ALWAYS required to get a vaccination against anything we might reasonably be exposed to and our supervisors were notified if we were or were not in compliance. One year, I was on leave/vacation--some kind of PTO, I forget why--when the annual flu vaccines were administered. When I got back, he met me and reminded me I needed to be vaccinated! which I was.

A lot of larger employers have held COVID19 vaccine clinics for employees. Say what you will about Amazon and I will agree that it is a horrible horrible horrible place BUT they not only provided on site vaccinations but actually paid employees $50 to be vaccinated while on the company clock. Yes, of course it's the very, very least that Bezos could do but when has that motivated him? It's not like he's going to actually....pay taxes or anything.

Bezos's main motivation is to reduce absenteeism and keep the boxes moving. But it does serve a greater purpose whether he cares about that or not.

...Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970...

(b)
The Congress declares it to be its purpose and policy, through the exercise of its powers to regulate commerce among the several States and with foreign nations and to provide for the general welfare, to assure so far as possible every working man and woman in the Nation safe and healthful working conditions and to preserve our human resources --

(3)
by authorizing the Secretary of Labor to set mandatory occupational safety and health standards applicable to businesses affecting interstate commerce, and by creating an Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission for carrying out adjudicatory functions under the Act;

(7)
by providing medical criteria which will assure insofar as practicable that no employee will suffer diminished health, functional capacity, or life expectancy as a result of his work experience;

(9)
by providing for the development and promulgation of occupational safety and health standards;

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/oshact/completeoshact

Bezos's main motivation is to reduce absenteeism and keep the boxes moving. But it does serve a greater purpose whether he cares about that or not.

Yes. I'm also certain that it will work in his favor if he needs it at tax time (not that he will)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58508547

So Biden orders employees of big businesses to be vaccinated against Covid-19 or face weekly testing.

Completely fair assuming, in this executive order is also included a plan for how to finance it, and organise it in a way that doesn't unnecessarily complicate the lives of unvaccinated. Is there? If there isn't he's a fascist totalitarian bully. If it is, he's a good competent president. It would have been nice if this information was in the article.

Does anybody know?

The shots are free. If the company wants to take the more expensive route why shouldn't they be made to bear the costs of doing so?

Where in this regulation does it speak to enforcement of vaccination? Or even viral disease?

CFR

It's been before the Supreme Court before--mandatory vaccinations are permissible.

and organise it in a way that doesn't unnecessarily complicate the lives of unvaccinated.
This is a Star Trek issue. Like a holodeck, The Unvaccinated pose a direct threat to life on board.
If they cannot be vaccinated, their lives are already necessarily complicated.
If thry merely choose to go about as plague rats, they should face the complicated consequences of taking such a stance. Pretty soon, they are going to lose the option. Not out of fascism, but self-defense (see Jacobsen vs. Massachusetts).

Emphasis mine.

Well, the preamble doesn’t grant any authority. But if that’ll do, then the federal government can control every aspect of our lives and body; for the general welfare, of course.
That’s why we have laws, judges, and elections. In principle those will sort all this out to the general satisfaction and dissatisfaction of we the people.

Back
Top Bottom