• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "The Trump admin is refusing to give out hundreds of millions in relief loans that Congress approved. Today, @RepAOC urged Sec. Mnuchin to make that money available to small businesses & states, rather than returning it to Treasury on 12/31. Full video: (links)" / Twitter
noting
Rep. Ocasio-Cortez urges Secretary Mnuchin to provide COVID-19 Relief - YouTube - "ven as unemployment remains high, the Trump administration is refusing to give out hundreds of millions of loans that Congress has already authorized. On Dec 2, Rep. Ocasio-Cortez pushed Secretary Mnuchin to make that capital available to small businesses and states immediately, rather than returning the money to the Treasury on Dec 31."

That was likely the hearing where Katie Porter asked some Treasury official what year it was. She then pointed out that this was 2020, not 2026, the stated date of expiration in the CARES Act. She also said that he was "play-acting" at being a lawyer. KP has a JD (Juris Doctor, law degree) from Harvard Law School. AOC herself has contemplated getting an economics graduate degree or a JD.

Garrett Haake on Twitter: "Rep. @AOC tells me she’d support the bipartisan COVID relief framework, but worries without a stimulus check and more UI money, regular folks won’t feel much, if any, real improvement in their lives." / Twitter
then
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "If people don't get UI assistance, and if they don't get a stimulus check, then relief isn't going to be felt in their lives in a substantive way. If you're on the brink of eviction or behind on six months of bills, you need that stimulus check." / Twitter

Bernie Sanders opposes emerging coronavirus aid deal, Ocasio-Cortez is open to it
Sen. Bernie Sanders said Friday he opposes the emerging bipartisan deal on coronavirus relief, objecting to giving "legal immunity to corporations" and the exclusion of a new round of $1,200 direct payments.

"Given the enormous economic desperation facing working families in this country today, I will not be able to support the recently announced Manchin-Romney COVID proposal unless it is significantly improved," Sanders said in a statement, referring to Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va, and Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, two key figures in crafting the package.
AOC in an interview with NBC News:
"Something is better than nothing but what I have real concerns about is the American people thinking 'Congress struck a deal, we're getting COVID relief,' and then their lives changing very little," she said, adding that she is "extremely concerned that it's not going to solve the immediate problems that people have."

"If you're on the brink of an eviction or if you're behind on six months of bills, you need that check, you need the check, and state and local funding isn't going to help you," Ocasio-Cortez said. "And so the millions of people who are most desperately impacted need a check."

Garrett Haake on Twitter: "Rep. @AOC tells me she’d support the bipartisan COVID relief framework, but worries without a stimulus check and more UI money, regular folks won’t feel much, if any, real improvement in their lives." / Twitter
then
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "If people don't get UI assistance, and if they don't get a stimulus check, then relief isn't going to be felt in their lives in a substantive way. If you're on the brink of eviction or behind on six months of bills, you need that stimulus check." / Twitter

Bernie Sanders opposes emerging coronavirus aid deal, Ocasio-Cortez is open to it
Sen. Bernie Sanders said Friday he opposes the emerging bipartisan deal on coronavirus relief, objecting to giving "legal immunity to corporations" and the exclusion of a new round of $1,200 direct payments.

"Given the enormous economic desperation facing working families in this country today, I will not be able to support the recently announced Manchin-Romney COVID proposal unless it is significantly improved," Sanders said in a statement, referring to Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va, and Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, two key figures in crafting the package.
AOC in an interview with NBC News:
"Something is better than nothing but what I have real concerns about is the American people thinking 'Congress struck a deal, we're getting COVID relief,' and then their lives changing very little," she said, adding that she is "extremely concerned that it's not going to solve the immediate problems that people have."

"If you're on the brink of an eviction or if you're behind on six months of bills, you need that check, you need the check, and state and local funding isn't going to help you," Ocasio-Cortez said. "And so the millions of people who are most desperately impacted need a check."

And also important you don't need to be rendered unable to sue the person evicting you.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

article said:
Since the beginning of the pandemic, Dr. Carlos Araujo-Preza spent his days caring for some of the sickest Covid-19 patients in Houston.

Months later, he was admitted to the same intensive care unit where he served as critical care medical director, infected with the same disease he treated in others.

On November 30, Araujo-Preza, a physician at HCA Houston Healthcare in Tomball, Texas, died from coronavirus, his daughter told CNN. He was 51.

People have had enough of Newsom's nonsense;

Customers and the community came out Monday to provide a big show of support for a popular Agoura Hills sports bar which is at risk of being shut down permanently for defying Los Angeles County’s ban on outdoor in-person dining. The protest was held Monday at Cronies Sports Grill, located in the 5600 block of Kanan Road, after inspectors with the L.A. County Department of Public Health and the city last week warned Cronies to stop serving customers outdoors. “I don’t take this virus light at all,” a Cronies manager said Monday night. “My father passed away at 82-years-old in New York, and he had COVID, so I know the seriousness of this virus. But I also know the seriousness of survival of a business, and having job.”

CBS

Judge overturns LA County ban on outdoor dining;

Los Angeles County health officials acted "arbitrarily'' and without a proper "risk-benefit" analysis when they banned outdoor dining as a coronavirus-control measure, a judge ruled Tuesday, but the decision won't immediately restore in-person dining. Following a hearing that lasted more than an hour, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Chalfant upheld an earlier tentative ruling, in which he found that the county "failed to perform the required risk-benefit analysis" before enacting the ban.

ABC7

In summary, there is no "science" or "data" behind such measures.

Los Angeles County health officials acted "arbitrarily'' and without a proper "risk-benefit" analysis when they banned outdoor dining as a coronavirus-control measure, a judge ruled Tuesday, but the decision won't immediately restore in-person dining. Following a hearing that lasted more than an hour, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Chalfant upheld an earlier tentative ruling, in which he found that the county "failed to perform the required risk-benefit analysis" before enacting the ban.

ABC7

A judge decided against a ban therefore there's no science or data? That's some pathetic reasoning.

ABC7

I notice you ignored my post showing scientists saying outdoor restaurant dining was a bad idea. :lalala:

ABC7

I notice you ignored my post showing scientists saying outdoor restaurant dining was a bad idea. :lalala:

Don't expect a reasonable response.

ABC7

"REPUBLICAN-APPOINTED JUDGE SUCKS TRUMP DICK!"

Swizzle is impressed!

ABC7

"REPUBLICAN-APPOINTED JUDGE SUCKS TRUMP DICK!"

Swizzle is impressed!
Risk - Further spread of pandemic
Benefit - People get to eat outside at restaurant

EozexgrXcAE5JJh

Jeezus, that image gave me a fright ! Like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

Good one. Personally I REALLY don't want to be within 10 feet of a wasp, so I'd thank the bulldog, he's earned multiple steaks. :)

Katie Porter slams McConnell: Here to 'expose corruption in real time' | TheHill
noting
Rep. Katie Porter on Twitter: "When I came to Congress ..." / Twitter
When I came to Congress, I knew I had a responsibility to pull back the curtain for the American people and expose corruption in real time. So, I’m filling you in on Senator McConnell’s attempts over the last 8 days to tank a *bipartisan* COVID relief bill. (THREAD)

You may have heard that Democrats and Republicans have agreed upon spending $900 billion to fund another round of small business loans, support hospitals and essential workers, and help the 10 million people who lost their jobs through no fault of their own. (2/5)

Everyone at the negotiating table—including Senate Rs—has agreed to a compromise. Except one. Mitch McConnell is refusing to bring it to the floor unless it wipes away all COVID-related lawsuits filed that “allege injury or death” due to corporate negligence. (3/5)

These lawsuits represent the worst of the worst examples of disregard for human life—cases filed on behalf of nursing home patients and grocery store workers who died because the company in charge of keeping them safe prioritized cutting costs over protecting them. (4/5)

The same McConnell who said that President Trump is “100% within his rights” to pursue baseless lawsuits alleging election fraud is now refusing to pass urgently-needed relief unless it strips those same rights from the most vulnerable among us. This must be exposed. (5/5)
Good job of jumping up and down on MMC for insisting on that liability exemption.

Back
Top Bottom