• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Clueless.

The Bidens - who are booster vaccinated - covered their faces for no apparent reason as they took their German Shepherd puppy, Commander, for a walk along a deserted Rehoboth Beach on Tuesday evening. The President, 79, even continued to wear his mask after the First Lady, 70, took hers off. It's not clear who Biden believed he was protecting or who he felt he needed protection from as the only other people on the beach, the secret service, didn't come within 10 yards. When the couple were walking through the neighborhood, members of the secret service and the press were seen closer, within a couple of yards, however the risk of infection given they were outdoors was negligible.

Daily Mail

I’m surprised the dog is not wearing a mask.

Biden's a smart guy. He should KNOW that he is about to turn our republic over to authoritarians, but is probably in denial.

Sleepy Joe has all the charisma of a sea monkey, and is probably the worst orator ever to be elected president. But he's not "clueless" as in unaware of the facts on the ground. Certainly not clueless like trumpistas are clueless in their belief that Trump won the 2020 election, is a good guy, was good for America or had anything good about him whatsoever.

Clueless.

The Bidens - who are booster vaccinated - covered their faces for no apparent reason as they took their German Shepherd puppy, Commander, for a walk along a deserted Rehoboth Beach on Tuesday evening. The President, 79, even continued to wear his mask after the First Lady, 70, took hers off. It's not clear who Biden believed he was protecting or who he felt he needed protection from as the only other people on the beach, the secret service, didn't come within 10 yards. When the couple were walking through the neighborhood, members of the secret service and the press were seen closer, within a couple of yards, however the risk of infection given they were outdoors was negligible.

Daily Mail

I’m surprised the dog is not wearing a mask.
The video and photos do look like Joe Biden, Dr. Jill and the new pooch. But it could be hired actors doing it just to make them look foolish. Also, with photoshop and Deep Fake technology, who really knows these days. I'm willing to give the Daily Mail the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Omicron has displaced Delta, and while Omicron is more transmissible, it is significantly less deadly. If omicron developed in unvaccinated people, then that is a positive outcome.

Yes we owe a continuing debt of gratitude to those brave visionaries who foresaw the benefits of anti-vaxism.
People are dying in the US at a rate of 7-9 THOUSAND per day, and we need to thank them for the fact that it's not 70-90 thousand.
Fucking lovely.
I didn't say you owed anyone gratitude. I relayed a fact that the emergence of the Omicron variant will result in fewer deaths, even as it results in more infections.

Too bad so many people refused vaccination. So we're dealing with variants that evolved in response to our lack of herd immunity, but with a lot of vaccinated people putting evolutionary pressures on the virus.
Too bad?

Omicron has displaced Delta, and while Omicron is more transmissible, it is significantly less deadly. If omicron developed in unvaccinated people, then that is a positive outcome.
Talk about chick counting and eggs. If Omicron mutates in a manner that makes it more deadly, then we really are fucked. Meanwhile, Delta is still out there too, capable of mutation as well.
Nevertheless, Omicron is displacing Delta and having had Omicron has a protective effect against Delta, and that's good news.

Too bad so many people refused vaccination. So we're dealing with variants that evolved in response to our lack of herd immunity, but with a lot of vaccinated people putting evolutionary pressures on the virus.
Too bad?

Talk about chick counting and eggs. If Omicron mutates in a manner that makes it more deadly, then we really are fucked. Meanwhile, Delta is still out there too, capable of mutation as well.
There is in fact nothing really preventing someone with both variants from having transcription errors of the kind that cause normal mutations, but which cause trait exchange.

It's entirely possible that someone gets both variants at once and put pops a recombinant variation.
New York, Ohio, Illinois are all examples of places where Delta and Omicron are hitting at the same time. Ohio, likely the worst of them.
Of course both will exist side by side for a while, but Omicron will become the dominant strain where it is not the dominant strain already.

I didn't say you owed anyone gratitude. I relayed a fact that the emergence of the Omicron variant will result in fewer deaths, even as it results in more infections.

Well, that's entirely wrong too. It results in fewer deaths PER INFECTION. Maybe a fifth as many deaths per infection as the Delta variant? (pulled out of my ass - do you know what the actual ratio is?).
A fifth of the death RATE among the infected is ultimately unhelpful if the infection rate is tenfold what Delta would have caused, absent the Omicron variant. You still get MORE DEATH, and that, by most public health measures, is NOT a good thing. And we are still see more deaths. MANY more than before Delta, and now Omicron is keeping the Delta death numbers right about where they've been since Delta came on the scene.

I do applaud your effort to look for some "upside" to a massive deadly contagion, but thousands a day are still dying.
We weren't seeing that before Delta and Omicron, so you are trying to make a positive thing out of a greatly increased net number of deaths. Any benefit such as you construe, would lie far far down the road, and is no means assured while plague rats continue to serve as reservoirs and breeding grounds for possible new variants.

Too bad?

There is in fact nothing really preventing someone with both variants from having transcription errors of the kind that cause normal mutations, but which cause trait exchange.

It's entirely possible that someone gets both variants at once and put pops a recombinant variation.
New York, Ohio, Illinois are all examples of places where Delta and Omicron are hitting at the same time. Ohio, likely the worst of them.
Of course both will exist side by side for a while, but Omicron will become the dominant strain where it is not the dominant strain already.
Deadliness is not maladaptive if spread is still fast. A virus does not care whether you are dead or merely immune, it makes no assumptions that it needs to or wants to come back. All that matters is that in the moment, it escapes vaccines.

Deadliness is not maladaptive if spread is still fast. A virus does not care whether you are dead or merely immune, it makes no assumptions that it needs to or wants to come back. All that matters is that in the moment, it escapes vaccines.

B-b-but that totally flies in the face of the right wing contention that getting infected is the way to go!
The fact is, that absent Trump's stupidity and Russia's propaganda, there would be no significant anti-vax movement and COVID-19 would be history by now. But we have such an incredible surplus of STOOPID, that until COVID becomes like a common cold variant in terms of hospitalization and death numbers, we are going to suffer the human and economic cost of TEH STOOPID.

Deadliness is not maladaptive if spread is still fast.
Quite the contrary. Deadliness, amongst humans with resources like hospitals, is maladaptive. It means people get treatment, and survive. Kicking virus butt, in a sanitary environment, where it can't spread so readily.

I'm no virologist, but even I can understand why the current situation in the U.S. would result in less deadly but more transmissible strains. This isn't difficult to understand.
Tom

Well, that's entirely wrong too. It results in fewer deaths PER INFECTION. Maybe a fifth as many deaths per infection as the Delta variant? (pulled out of my ass - do you know what the actual ratio is?).
A fifth of the death RATE among the infected is ultimately unhelpful if the infection rate is tenfold what Delta would have caused, absent the Omicron variant. You still get MORE DEATH, and that, by most public health measures, is NOT a good thing.
You say what I've said is 'entirely wrong', but you offer no evidence. Yes, I understand arithmetic.

I do applaud your effort to look for some "upside" to a massive deadly contagion, but thousands a day are still dying.
It was not an effort and I had no motivation to find an upside or downside. If you read media at all you are deluged by COVID information.

Also, you are drawing false inferences. I did not say there was an upside to COVID. I said there was an upside of an emerging variant in a very specific context.

We weren't seeing that before Omicron, so you are trying to make a positive thing out of a greatly increased net number of deaths.
No, there are not greatly increased net number of deaths. In fact, daily deaths have decreased worldwide since the emergence of Omicron. Perhaps it will change over time.

Any benefit such as you construe, would lie far far down the road, and is no means assured while plague rats continue to serve as reservoirs and breeding grounds for possible new variants.
Don't take any good news then. No skin off my nose.

The omicron-fueled U.S. surge in Covid-19 cases appears to be triggering a lower rate of hospitalizations than earlier waves, more evidence that the highly transmissible variant leads to milder symptoms than other strains.

The seven-day average of new cases hit 206,577 on Sunday, roughly 18% lower than the all-time high recorded on Jan. 11, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Meanwhile, hospitalizations rose to a seven-day average of 8,964, only half their earlier peak recorded in January.

Early studies have shown omicron to be about twice as transmissible as delta, the once-dominant version of the coronavirus that now appears to be receding. Because the new variant spreads so easily, the U.S. will likely see continued increases in hospitalizations and deaths, though not as severe as during the delta wave that hit mid-year, said Albert Ko, chair of the department of epidemiology and microbial diseases at the Yale School of Public Health.

“We are seeing exponential increases in cases, and a much lower increase in hospitalizations and deaths,” Ko said in a phone interview. “But we still have 65,000 people who are currently hospitalized because of Covid, and we are having already 1,500 deaths a day.”

“This is terrific -- consistent with the evidence and data for contagiousness,” tweeted Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, who previously called for a shorter isolation period paired with a negative Covid test. “And exactly what our country needs right now.”

The CDC’s shift in guidance was motivated by science showing that the majority of coronavirus transmission occurs early in the course of the illness, in the first day or two before the onset of symptoms and the two to three days that follow, the agency said.

The CDC also updated its recommended quarantine period for people who have been exposed to Covid-19. For individuals who are unvaccinated, or for those who are eligible for a booster shot but haven’t yet received one, the agency recommends a five-day quarantine followed by strict use of a mask for five more days.

However, if a five-day quarantine isn’t feasible, an exposed person should wear a well-fitting mask, such as an N95, at all times when around others for 10 days after exposure.

Individuals who have received a booster shot don’t need to quarantine following an exposure, but should wear a mask for 10 days, the CDC said. If symptoms occur, individuals should quarantine until a negative test confirms that they don’t have Covid-19.

The Biden administration has recently been pushing to get booster shots into the arms of more vaccinated people, and the new guidance could entice more Americans to seek another dose of a vaccine. Just under one-third of fully vaccinated people in the U.S. have received a booster, according to the CDC.

It seems like good news about COVID is not desired by some members of this board.

It seems like good news about COVID is not desired by some members of this board.
If by "good news about Covid" you mean "this year's variants, being spread by irresponsible people, aren't as deadly as the ones they were spreading last year", then you have a point.
Otherwise, you don't.
Tom

I usually don't try to get too excited about a near half million possible peak in daily cares in the US.

Also, Delta and Omicron are currently spending the holidays together in the Northeast and Midwest United States. That doesn't mean it has to have a kid, but it does provide an avenue for it.

So eggs and chicks and all.

If by "good news about Covid" you mean "this year's variants, being spread by irresponsible people, aren't as deadly as the ones they were spreading last year", then you have a point.
Otherwise, you don't.
Tom
No. The good news is that a variant has emerged that will result in fewer hospitalisations and deaths than if the variant had not emerged.

But I'm not here to order you to feel good about good news. You do you.

I usually don't try to get too excited about a near half million possible peak in daily cares in the US.

Also, Delta and Omicron are currently spending the holidays together in the Northeast and Midwest United States. That doesn't mean it has to have a kid, but it does provide an avenue for it.

So eggs and chicks and all.
I admit it's early on in omicron's life. But everything I've read, including those of expert epidemiologists, have said the emergence of this variant is good news.

But as I told Tom, I'm not here to force you to feel good about good news.

Otherwise, you don't.
Tom
No. The good news is that a variant has emerged that will result in fewer hospitalisations and deaths than if the variant had not emerged.

How is "a variant has emerged" good news?
We could be past all this crap, due to modern technology. Masking, distancing, vaccination, it's all right there.(At least for those of us in 1st world nations)

In what way do you consider new variants "good news", when the news could be about ending restrictions and economic problems and death and suffering?

You are not making any sense to me.
Tom

Otherwise, you don't.
Tom

How is "a variant has emerged" good news?
Your framing is deceitful, and I've explained about three times already. The good news is not the emergence of a variant. The emergence of a more deadly variant with equal infection rate would not be good news. The good news is that the emergence of this specific variant displaces a more deadly variant, and it is resulting in fewer hospitalisations and deaths. If you think a development that results in fewer hospitalisations and deaths isn't good news, I don't know what else to tell you.

We could be past all this crap, due to modern technology. Masking, distancing, vaccination, it's all right there.(At least for those of us in 1st world nations)
Australia masked, distanced and was at 90% vaccination level when omicron emerged. COVID isn't leaving us any more than the common cold is leaving us.

In what way do you consider new variants "good news",
Your question is deceitful. I did not say the emergence of a new variant was good news. I said the emergence of this variant with its properties is good news. I've explained multiple times now and I won't explain again.

when the news could be about ending restrictions and economic problems and death and suffering?

You are not making any sense to me.
Tom
You're not making any sense to me, to be honest. I just thought you were trolling me, but it seems you sincerely believe an event (the emergence of omicron) that will result in fewer hospitalisations and deaths is not good news.

I really, truly don't understand how you could think that.

The emergence of this variant displaces a more deadly variant, and it is resulting in fewer hospitalisations and deaths.
Why do you believe that an additional variant displaces one?
I'm no virologist, but I'm pretty sure that new variants are in addition to the previous ones. That is, having some level of immunity to the old one doesn't give you protection from the new one.

Australia masked, distanced and was at 90% vaccination level when omicron emerged.
Australia has a 90% vaccination rate? Here in the USA, I'm not sure 90% of the population is approved for vaccination.
I'm finding that claim implausible.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom