• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

EwpSTb8VIAEEsjN

I've been to Las Vegas probably about 30 times. All for trade shows. I can't stand Las Vegas. It's so tacky. Barf those photos.

The strip is tacky. We used to sometimes go down there for the buffets but I don't think we have been there in years now.

You are wrong on that. The vast, VAST majority of people who contract this virus survive unscathed. You’re talking about a virus so lethal you need a test to detect if you have it.

What I don't understand about your stance on this is why you keep banging your drum. Everybody I know who talked like you a year ago have stopped, and now support restrictions. Why? Because they themselves got sick or knew somebody who did. And then their talk about this being a flu just somehow went away. But you're still going.

Don't you know anybody who got ill from this? I'm not talking seriously ill. I'm talking, a regular Covid-19 sufferer? You know the, "it was two weeks of hell"- types and who months afterwards still got exhausted from a light jog around the block?

You are wrong on that. The vast, VAST majority of people who contract this virus survive unscathed. You’re talking about a virus so lethal you need a test to detect if you have it.
Well golly. Why didn't you say so 1000 times already?

Why do you want more people to die?
He doesn't. He just can't pull himself away from believing the statements made by Trump in public about Covid-19. People like him appear vested for life with it. Had Trump spoke publicly as he did privately to Woodward in early February, Trausti would been part of the mask brigade.

What I don't understand about your stance on this is why you keep banging your drum.

It is in response to the non stop fearmongering, the scolding, the finger wagging, the "plague rats" and "rat licker" anti science bullshit.

Everybody I know who talked like you a year ago have stopped, and now support restrictions. Why? Because they themselves got sick or knew somebody who did.

Getting sick is part of life and if you expect to never get sick ever, then YOU should be the one to stay home. And if you want to leave your house, YOU wear the mask or a dopey bandana across your mouth if that gives you comfort. The mask (x2,x3, x4 !) doesn't really offer much in the way of protection from a virus but if it makes you feel better, then have at it, I won't stop you. Get vaccinated and you should be fine.

And then their talk about this being a flu just somehow went away. But you're still going.

Not once did I say it was like the flu but it is similar.

Don't you know anybody who got ill from this? I'm not talking seriously ill. I'm talking, a regular Covid-19 sufferer? You know the, "it was two weeks of hell"- types and who months afterwards still got exhausted from a light jog around the block?

I know several people who have had the virus. One person I know, a male in his fifties died a few weeks ago and it is believed that he was covid positive but I have not had that confirmed. Three people in my office of seven tested positive, all of them had mild effects and all are fully recovered. Another colleague in the Mid West, their whole family had it bar the spouse which is odd, back in October. Was off work for about a week, only now getting their sense of smell back after a several months. And there are a few others I know dotted around my circle that tested positive and all have recovered, some never did show symptoms.

It is in response to the non stop fearmongering, the scolding, the finger wagging, the "plague rats" and "rat licker" anti science bullshit.

Granted that some people are more extreme in their fear than others. But the recommendations from WHO is hardly fearmongering. Do you think it is?

Getting sick is part of life and if you expect to never get sick ever, then YOU should be the one to stay home. And if you want to leave your house, YOU wear the mask or a dopey bandana across your mouth if that gives you comfort. The mask (x2,x3, x4 !) doesn't really offer much in the way of protection from a virus but if it makes you feel better, then have at it, I won't stop you. Get vaccinated and you should be fine.

But that's like saying we shouldn't wear seatbelts because dying from car accidents is a part of driving. What's the point letting people die or get seriously ill from a disease that is avoidable?

Not all people have access to vaccinations yet. I don't. In EU countries not even 5% have been vaccinated yet.

I know several people who have had the virus. One person I know, a male in his fifties died a few weeks ago and it is believed that he was covid positive but I have not had that confirmed. Three people in my office of seven tested positive, all of them had mild effects and all are fully recovered. Another colleague in the Mid West, their whole family had it bar the spouse which is odd, back in October. Was off work for about a week, only now getting their sense of smell back after a several months. And there are a few others I know dotted around my circle that tested positive and all have recovered, some never did show symptoms.

So I guess you're just stubborn about this for no good reason?

Granted that some people are more extreme in their fear than others. But the recommendations from WHO is hardly fearmongering. Do you think it is?

I don't know what the WHO recommendations are, I believe it updates its recommendations quite often. But the WHO is not the most credible of organizations and have been wrong in the past. Further, I am having to live with the restrictions dictated by the insufferable prick Gavin Newsom, governor of California. An anti science moron along with the fuckwittery of an LA county health department headed up by someone that isn't even a doctor.

But that's like saying we {snip more anti science bullshit}

Stick to the subject at hand.

Not all people have access to vaccinations yet. I don't. In EU countries not even 5% have been vaccinated yet.

Then you stay home until you are vaccinated.

So I guess you're just stubborn about this for no good reason?

I am not stubborn and there are reasons which I have given for my stance.

Then you stay home until you are vaccinated.

It's an infectious disease. It doesn't matter what one person does. It's pointless for one or a few to do what is sensible. It needs concerted action. It's ridiculous to let this be up to people's personal judgement. That's the tragedy of the commons. It only needs a few people to ignore isolating for it to be pointless for everybody, even though it's in everybody's best interest.

YOU wear the mask or a dopey bandana across your mouth if that gives you comfort. The mask (x2,x3, x4 !) doesn't really offer much in the way of protection from a virus but if it makes you feel better, then have at it, I won't stop you.

Talk about anti-science.

It's an infectious disease. It doesn't matter what one person does. It's pointless for one or a few to do what is sensible. It needs concerted action. It's ridiculous to let this be up to people's personal judgement. That's the tragedy of the commons. It only needs a few people to ignore isolating for it to be pointless for everybody, even though it's in everybody's best interest.

I don't believe it is in everybody's best interest to selectively and arbitrarily shut down places of businesses (and a whole host of other meaningless actions) and consign people to unemployment, despair and crushing poverty. The lockdowns, such as they are (or were), have not achieved stated objectives and have created problems elsewhere.

... consign people to unemployment, despair and crushing poverty. ...
According to right-wing ideology, people are only unemployed because they are lazy, and lazy people deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions. Consequences like despair and grinding poverty.

... consign people to unemployment, despair and crushing poverty. ...
According to right-wing ideology, people are only unemployed because they are lazy, and lazy people deserve to suffer the consequences of their actions. Consequences like despair and grinding poverty.

It seems very odd to me that the wealthiest nation in the history of the world cannot or will not support its citizens when a natural disaster prevents them from supporting themselves. And that the "obvious" solution to this state of affairs is not to take steps to mitigate the natural disaster, in order to allow the survivors to continue to support themselves.

It's particularly odd given that a quick glance at the developed world would provide a number of examples of a better approach that precludes both epidemic and poverty.

I don't believe it is in everybody's best interest to selectively and arbitrarily shut down places of businesses (and a whole host of other meaningless actions) and consign people to unemployment, despair and crushing poverty. The lockdowns, such as they are (or were), have not achieved stated objectives and have created problems elsewhere.

But you believe it's in everybody's best interest to kill a million people.

Back
Top Bottom