• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

If pics of money and pretending you're tough were evidence of criminality, damn near every high school student everywhere is a criminal. Though most don't actually post guns...

Kids post stupid shit on their FB and this is one of those things.

I'm so glad the internet didn't exist when I was young and stupid(er)
Tom

Tom doesn’t venture a guess as to WHY his dreaded “YBM” are so much more dangerous than “YWM”.
I think I know why not.

You'd be wrong, again.

On one of these threads about police killings, awhile back, [MENTION=346]Gospel[/MENTION]; made a post musing on this subject a bit. Or maybe it was tulip thread, I don't remember and can't find it now. I'd like to discuss that.
I thought it should be a different thread, it was a derail. But I forgot and never got back to him.

Maybe he'll read this and start something.
Tom

Tom doesn’t venture a guess as to WHY his dreaded “YBM” are so much more dangerous than “YWM”.
I think I know why not.

You'd be wrong, again.

Then bring it, instead of maundering like a confused adolescent.

I'm not sure that such a discussion is worth the bother, with TFT posters like you insulting me instead of replying with substance.

Did you even read as far as this?
On one of these threads about police killings, awhile back, @Gospel; made a post musing on this subject a bit. Or maybe it was tulip thread, I don't remember and can't find it now. I'd like to discuss that.
I thought it should be a different thread, it was a derail. But I forgot and never got back to him.

Tom

You mean the variety of MAO-A alleles (especially low activity alleles) that combined with childhood experience may influence behavior as adults?

the real take home from looking at this was the allele is the bomb and the childhood the fuse. Granted this is a massive oversimplification that can be greatly misused.

There a large amount of alleles for many populations

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4306065/

The low activity form of the MAOA gene (MAOA-L) has been linked to increased levels of aggression and violence. Data from a 2007 study suggests that MAOA-L individuals are hypersensitive, so are affected more by negative experiences (thus react more aggressively in defence) as opposed to being hyposensitive, and lacking emotion for harming others. Male members of a large Dutch kindred displaying abnormal violent behaviour were found to have low MAO-A activity linked to a deleterious point mutation in the 8th exon of the gene. The unaffected male members within the family did not carry this mutation. The first study that investigated behaviour in response to provocation showed that, overall, MAOA-L individuals showed higher levels of aggression than MAOA-H (high MAOA activity) subjects. There was also strong evidence for a gene-by-environment interaction as both groups showed similar low levels of aggression with low provocation, but MAOA-L individuals displayed significantly higher levels of aggression in a high provocation situation. A further gene-by-environment interaction was found in a long-term study performed on large number of children. Those with the MAOA-L genotype paired with maltreatment in childhood were correctly predicted to commit crime. Similar results are replicated in the majority of other related studies, but not all.

The whole of crazy half cocked Twitter responses is probably full of MAOA-L people of ALL RACES who can't cool down because of weak MAOA.

Should MAOA-L/MAOA-H be part of the weighing factor for employment as a police officer?

You mean the variety of MAO-A alleles (especially low activity alleles) that combined with childhood experience may influence behavior as adults?

the real take home from looking at this was the allele is the bomb and the childhood the fuse. Granted this is a massive oversimplification that can be greatly misused.

There a large amount of alleles for many populations

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4306065/

The low activity form of the MAOA gene (MAOA-L) has been linked to increased levels of aggression and violence. Data from a 2007 study suggests that MAOA-L individuals are hypersensitive, so are affected more by negative experiences (thus react more aggressively in defence) as opposed to being hyposensitive, and lacking emotion for harming others. Male members of a large Dutch kindred displaying abnormal violent behaviour were found to have low MAO-A activity linked to a deleterious point mutation in the 8th exon of the gene. The unaffected male members within the family did not carry this mutation. The first study that investigated behaviour in response to provocation showed that, overall, MAOA-L individuals showed higher levels of aggression than MAOA-H (high MAOA activity) subjects. There was also strong evidence for a gene-by-environment interaction as both groups showed similar low levels of aggression with low provocation, but MAOA-L individuals displayed significantly higher levels of aggression in a high provocation situation. A further gene-by-environment interaction was found in a long-term study performed on large number of children. Those with the MAOA-L genotype paired with maltreatment in childhood were correctly predicted to commit crime. Similar results are replicated in the majority of other related studies, but not all.

The whole of crazy half cocked Twitter responses is probably full of MAOA-L people of ALL RACES who can't cool down because of weak MAOA.

Should MAOA-L/MAOA-H be part of the weighing factor for employment as a police officer?

I would say again that individual response is always the final arbiter of who is "qualified". So while the MAOA testing/discussion may give us paths to treatment, it will not give us a path to filtration.

Perhaps we should be testing everyone for MAOA and offering medical options which allow opt-in treatment for MAOA-L affect.

We need to recognize that it is the reality of the outcome, not some minutae of metadata, that determines when treatment or filtration of behavioral aspects are necessary.

I don't know that they do this anymore, given the number of school shootings, but gun safety classes used to be held at the local high school. Which creates a kind of conundrum: Hunting is a very important recreational/sustenance activity in my area. Gun safety classes were the norm and I absolutely applaud those classes and absolutely understand the utility and convenience of holding these classes in a local high school building outside of classroom hours.

That said, it's another think altogether to be sitting at a school banquet held at the school in the atrium area, surrounded by an open hallway and to see about 15 young boys march along that hallway above your head, carrying rifles as they head to class.

It absolutely used to be very common to see hunting rifles mounted across the back of the cab of a pick up. There was a huge outcry when the school wanted to bring harsh discipline against a kid who brought his rifle to school, secured in the trunk of his car, because he had been hunting before school and didn't have time to get home, secure the rifle and get to class on time. There was no actual threat or fear from this particular student. I'm pretty sure I've seen senior pictures with people posing with their firearms and I know for certain that I recently saw a few family photos with everyone from young kids to parents posing with their guns.

As for posing with $100's--I don't do selfies but from time to time, I have similar cash as in 100's around that I intend to put into cards to give to people for Christmas and birthdays and such. Not something I advertise but here I am: on the internet saying sometimes, I have some cash in my house.

I don't know that they do this anymore, given the number of school shootings, but gun safety classes used to be held at the local high school. Which creates a kind of conundrum: Hunting is a very important recreational/sustenance activity in my area. Gun safety classes were the norm and I absolutely applaud those classes and absolutely understand the utility and convenience of holding these classes in a local high school building outside of classroom hours.

That said, it's another think altogether to be sitting at a school banquet held at the school in the atrium area, surrounded by an open hallway and to see about 15 young boys march along that hallway above your head, carrying rifles as they head to class.

It absolutely used to be very common to see hunting rifles mounted across the back of the cab of a pick up. There was a huge outcry when the school wanted to bring harsh discipline against a kid who brought his rifle to school, secured in the trunk of his car, because he had been hunting before school and didn't have time to get home, secure the rifle and get to class on time. There was no actual threat or fear from this particular student. I'm pretty sure I've seen senior pictures with people posing with their firearms and I know for certain that I recently saw a few family photos with everyone from young kids to parents posing with their guns.

As for posing with $100's--I don't do selfies but from time to time, I have similar cash as in 100's around that I intend to put into cards to give to people for Christmas and birthdays and such. Not something I advertise but here I am: on the internet saying sometimes, I have some cash in my house.

I have a change jar? :shrug:

For one year (11th grade) I went to a public high school in San Francisco. There was a senior kid who had his own truck - a beat up Datsun POS. He had some kind of rifle or shotgun hanging in it. I was never sure whether or not it was real, but it didn't much bother me. One day at chorus practice, the black guy who was next to me nudged me and looked down. I followed his eyes, and he was holding a revolver, pointed at my side. THAT rattled my young ass. I looked at him and rolled my eyes a little, semi-shook my head and then tried to ignore him. This would have been in 1966 and school shootings weren't yet a "thing". But I didn't go back to that school, and dropped out altogether the next fall. My mom said I had to go to school or leave home. So I left and never went back - to school or to home. It was years before I contacted my mother again, and I regret that today.

Anyhow.... I have a change jar that weighs at least 15 lbs. :)
Come and get it!

...the cops have choices - A) let him go (diving for cover in case he WAS 'going for a gun') and pick him up later, B) use less than lethal force to subdue him on the spot, or C) kill the motherfucker outright.
They either chose "C" or inadvertently accomplished "C" while intending to do "B".
Technically true, but it seems very apparent that it was an accidental C while intending B.
I do not ascribe to malice that which is credibly explained by incompetence. But maybe - just MAYBE, "A" would have been the more prudent choice.
That depends on what the warrant for his arrest was for. If it were for a violent crime, then B or even C would have been most appropriate (so he does not harm others because it was shown that he likely had in the past). The threshold between B and C is a matter of the likelihood someone else would be harmed by him... the nature of the warrant informs to that. Option A would have been appropriate only if the warrant were for a non-violent offense AND the street were entirely clear of pedestrians or any others at risk of being struck by the fleeing vehicle.

The claim was he wasn't a criminal as he hadn't been convicted of anything. I'm saying the pics leave little doubt he was a criminal.
This is evidence that no one should take your views on these matters seriously.

If pics of money and pretending you're tough were evidence of criminality, damn near every high school student everywhere is a criminal. Though most don't actually post guns...

Pics of large amounts of money--more than your normal high school student has.

Pics of large amounts of money--more than your normal high school student has.
This is evidence that no one should take your views on these matters seriously.

Tom

You and me, both. And I suspect just about everyone over the age of 40.

Tom

Life really was better back then.

In some ways. In others, not so much.

I went to high school with girls who's parents forbade them to get any more education. Because it would ruin them as a good wife and mother. The girls were expected to find a man, marry him, then do and believe whatever the man told them.
While popping out babies...
Tom

In some ways. In others, not so much.

I went to high school with girls who's parents forbade them to get any more education. Because it would ruin them as a good wife and mother. The girls were expected to find a man, marry him, then do and believe whatever the man told them.
While popping out babies...
Tom

My father saw how limited he was in his career because he did not have a college degree. Therefore, there was not a time that I can remember that we were not assumed to be going to college. (and then work a while, find a nice man to marry, pop out some babies and stay home to raise them, going back to work when dear hubby thought it was time).

I was thrilled that I could vaccinate my kids against all these diseases I suffered through when I was a kid and get the kid who had so many ear infections antibiotics, something that seems to have fallen out of favor these days but my kids can all hear really well and my hearing is...not great.

Sexism and racism are still alive and doing damage but it's less horrific than it was when I was a kid.

I'm glad that I got to live my life as a 'free range' kid.

I'm glad that I didn't have to deal with having an online presence when I was growing up.

I think I know why not.

You'd be wrong, again.

On one of these threads about police killings, awhile back, [MENTION=346]Gospel[/MENTION]; made a post musing on this subject a bit. Or maybe it was tulip thread, I don't remember and can't find it now. I'd like to discuss that.

Tom

I really want to help you out here, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Tom

I don't agree with you often, but I do on this one. I'll take fire drills over shooter drills any day of the week. I'm old enough to avoid shooter drills & young enough to avoid Duck & Cover. Still remember the nuclear war movies like "The Day After"

Back
Top Bottom