• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Day without stupid: redux

As a reminder, our Congress is incapable of action. Passes another Stopgap budget bill.

article said:
The Senate passed a short-term spending bill on Thursday that would avert a partial government shutdown when the current fiscal year ends at midnight Friday and provide another infusion of military and economic aid to Ukraine as it seeks to repel Russia's brutal invasion.

The bill finances the federal government through Dec. 16 and buys lawmakers more time to agree on legislation setting spending levels for the 2023 fiscal year. It passed by a vote of 72-25 and now goes to the House for consideration. All of the no votes came from Republicans.
*sigh*

I've been looking around the news sites and I see nothing on this. This is the kind of thing I'd want to see a real news story on before accenting it.

The House of Representatives approved a continuing resolution on Friday, giving the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) the ability to spend through the Disaster Relief Fund, freeing up $15 million more in aid for disaster relief. Only 10 Republicans voted for the measure, two days after a Category 4 hurricane barreled through Florida, killing dozens and causing billions in economic damage.

None of those 10 are representatives in Florida.

Government shutdown averted again.

Biden signs the spending bill to keep the government open : NPR - "Biden signs spending bill that averts government shutdown with 11 hours to spare"
The continuing resolution maintains current levels of spending and extends funding through Dec. 16, giving both chambers extra time to hammer out details for a broader budget deal.

"This is common sense, bipartisan legislation," Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said on the floor Thursday before the upper chamber passed the bill 72-25. "I'm glad we came to a timely conclusion and didn't go right up to the brink and risk a shutdown. Millions and millions of people can breathe easy knowing that we have done this in a timely way and the money to continue the government will be there."

It includes $2.5 billion to aid communities devastated by natural disasters, $1 billion in funding a low-income home heating program, and $20 million in emergency to address the water crisis in Jackson, Miss. The bill also includes $12 billion in aid for Ukraine.

The legislation does not include funding for vaccines, testing and treatment for the coronavirus or monkeypox that the White House had requested.
There was some drama llama about Joe Manchin wanting some changes in fossil-fuel-facility permitting. But most other Democrats didn't like it, and he threw in the towel.

The bill:
H.R.6833 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Continuing Appropriations and Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2023 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

That bill was originally the Affordable Insulin Now Act.

Roll Call 101 | Bill Number: H. R. 6833 - On Motion to Recommit - a common bit of last-minute obstructionism.
D: N 219 nv 2
R: Y 197 N 6 nv 7
tot: Y 197 N 225 nv 6

Roll Call 102 | Bill Number: H. R. 6833 - On Passage
D: Y 220 nv 1
R: Y 12 N 193 nv 5
tot: Y 232 N 195 nv 6

On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed (Motion to Invoke Cloture: Motion to Proceed to H.R. 6833 )
D+I: Y 50
R: Y 22 N 23 nv 5
tot: Y 72 N 23 nv 5

On Passage of the Bill (H.R. 6833, As Amended )
D+I: Y 50
R: Y 22 N 25 nv 3
tot: Y 72 N 25 nv 3

Roll Call 476 | Bill Number: H. R. 6833 - On Motion to Concur in the Senate Amendment
D: Y 220 nv 1
R: Y 10 N 201 nv 1
tot: D 230 R 201 nv 2

All the Republicans who voted for it: Fitzpatrick PA, Gonzalez OH, Graves LA, Jacobs NY, Katko NY Kinzinger IL, McHenry NC, Rogers KY, Upton MI, Womack AR

So Matt Gaetz likely voted against disaster relief for his home state because it was in a bill that contained a lot of stuff that he didn't like.
Gaetz and other GOP lawmakers added their names to a letter that said they’d “do what is necessary” to stop funding the Biden administration, according to the news site.

“Any legislation that sets the stage for a ‘lame duck’ fight on government funding gives Democrats one final opportunity to pass that agenda,” the letter said.

Gaetz is no stranger to voting against hurricane relief as the lawmaker didn’t vote in favor of a $15 billion relief package as Hurricane Irma — which led to at least 92 deaths in the contiguous United States — approached Florida in 2017, the Miami Herald reported.

Gaetz did, however, pass a separate $7.5 billion hurricane relief bill earlier that week.

“Only Congress can find a way to turn a natural disaster into a trillion new dollars in spending authority,” Gaetz said at the time of the 2017 package.

GOP Sen Marco Rubio confronted over past opposition to hurricane relief despite asking for new funds
CNN’s Dana Bash asked Mr Rubio about a letter he sent to the Senate Appropriations Committee asking for disaster relief for resources for Florida after Hurricane Ian, but noted how he had previously voted against disaster relief in 2012 for victims of Hurricane Sandy, which hit the northeast of the US

“What I didn’t vote for in Sandy, because they had included things like a roof for a museum in Washington DC, for fisheries in Alaska, it had been loaded up with a bunch of things that had nothing to do with disaster relief,” he said. “I wouldn't ever put out there that we should go use a disaster relief package for Florida as a way to pay for all kinds of other things people want around the country.”

In response, Ms Bash noted that the Sandy relief legislation included the repair for the roof of a museum because it had been damaged during the storm and it allocated money for fisheries in Alaska because of another disaster. In response, she asked if relief for Ian contained wasteful spending, that Mr Rubio would vote against it.

“I’ll fight against it having pork in it,” he said. “That’s the key. We shouldn’t have that in there because it undermines the ability to come back and do this in the future.”

R Senator Rick Scott says he's open to individual bills on disaster relief aid

Microsoft needs a copy editor who thinks.

Microsoft Blog on the release of the Windows 11 update "Our work is never done to ensure Windows evolves and adapts to you." :lol:

Ha. I can guess what they tried to say but it's probably not how most people would read that line! :coffeespray

What will this update break this time?

It sort of partially fixed something Windows 11 broke.

You might recall that with Windows 7 and 10 picture folders could have a or two sample photos on the folder icon.

Windows 11 broke that and picture folders are plain manila folders. This update partly brought back the picture Icon with a sample photo of inside but it only covers half the folder and some just don't work for no known reason.

I've been looking around the news sites and I see nothing on this. This is the kind of thing I'd want to see a real news story on before accenting it.

The House of Representatives approved a continuing resolution on Friday, giving the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) the ability to spend through the Disaster Relief Fund, freeing up $15 million more in aid for disaster relief. Only 10 Republicans voted for the measure, two days after a Category 4 hurricane barreled through Florida, killing dozens and causing billions in economic damage.

None of those 10 are representatives in Florida.
The Democrats should respond by making the Will of Florida act--since the majority of the representatives of Florida disapprove of hurricane aid we will honor their request and provide no aid.

It sort of partially fixed something Windows 11 broke.

You might recall that with Windows 7 and 10 picture folders could have a or two sample photos on the folder icon.

Windows 11 broke that and picture folders are plain manila folders. This update partly brought back the picture Icon with a sample photo of inside but it only covers half the folder and some just don't work for no known reason.

My brothers has a lot of music software. Windows updates seems to break a lot of that. Update Windows, start updating software, patches, fix broken stuff.

WTF is wrong with this subhuman?

Well, I'm glad he was able to turn the death of over 100 people and tens of billions in damage into lemonade by politicizing a natural disaster.

Back
Top Bottom