• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Everybody has ancestral lines leading to the universal common ancestor (UCA).
I'm thinking more "journey before destination" though.

We all know where that river ends, it's more the path it took to get there, all the branches that it isn't. Preferably, there's very little overlap on that journey.

I would expect that for Trump and many of his supporters, there's a lot less ground there that is covered...

I heard a story about Walz this morning on the radio. He was busted for going like 90+ mph in a 50 mph zone. When pulled over he told the cop he was deaf, like that was a valid excuse. This was when he was about 30 years old.

That strikes me as really weird. Not RFK and dead baby bear weird, but it's up there.
I know that Walz has some hearing loss but that is a story I had not heard. If that’s the worst they can come up with….

Well the Trump campaign put out a statement on Walz for "embracing polices to allow convicted felons to vote." Which was of course instantly roasted, with one pundit asking 'Who...wants to tell them."

I'd also heard that they were planning to circulate his mug shot from the time he got arrested. I wonder if anyone has told them why that might not work out so well?

I mean, they've had a couple weeks now to do opposition research and have a plan for each possible VP pick, and it doesn't look like they're doing much with the opportunity aside from calling him liberal.

FYI, Morning Consult has Harris up by 4 points over Trump with a 9 point spread among 18-34 voters, while Five Thirty Eight has Harris up by 1.7%. Right leaning Real Clear Politics has Harris just barely beating Trump (0.2% in an average of polls), so the Trump campaign better come up with something better than they've had so far.

Last edited:
I heard a story about Walz this morning on the radio. He was busted for going like 90+ mph in a 50 mph zone. When pulled over he told the cop he was deaf, like that was a valid excuse. This was when he was about 30 years old.

That strikes me as really weird. Not RFK and dead baby bear weird, but it's up there.
I know that Walz has some hearing loss but that is a story I had not heard. If that’s the worst they can come up with….

Yes, this happened in 1995, when he was 31 years old. The officer charged him with DUI, but the charge was dropped when he agreed to plead guilty to reckless driving. His record seems to be spotless otherwise. A little stain on a Democrat's record, however, is equivalent to Donald Trump's entire rap sheet. Of course, Republicans are calling Walz a "criminal" and falsely claiming that he was convicted of a DUI. That's how the "law and order" party rolls.

Yes, this happened in 1995, when he was 31 years old. The officer charged him with DUI, but the charge was dropped when he agreed to plead guilty to reckless driving. His record seems to be spotless otherwise. A little stain on a Democrat's record, however, is equivalent to Donald Trump's entire rap sheet. Of course, Republicans are calling Walz a "criminal" and falsely claiming that he was convicted of a DUI. That's how the "law and order" party rolls.

He is a teetotaler now. And unless he has a Nick Nolte level mug shot, I recommend team Trump leave it alone.

He is a teetotaler now. And unless he has a Nick Nolte level mug shot, I recommend team Trump leave it alone.
What else do they have?
They sure can’t point to a bright and shiny future plan. All the Trumpovich Party can do is cry gloom and doom and hope enough people buy it. And they might.

What else do they have?
They sure can’t point to a bright and shiny future plan. All the Trumpovich Party can do is cry gloom and doom and hope enough people buy it. And they might.
Nothing on Walz, I would think. They'll probably stick to California Kamala. The VP thing should fade. It would be nice to see team Trump going after Harris and Walz coming to her defense. It would make them look even worse.

And the part I don't want to say out loud: Boy I hope the Dems don't find a way to fuck this up.

Boy I hope the Dems don't find a way to fuck this
To me, it all comes down to making sure people check and confirm their voter registration within 30 days of the election, making sure that people know that this is about a MANDATE* against corruption rather than a simple win (to guarantee turnout, even in red states), making sure that young folks don't see both sides as "the same", and simply not making any major mistakes.

*Prosecutor vs felon

Walz is a DUI hire!

Why is that weird? Seriously why is that weird? Another way of saying that is Walz, now being desperate to cling to his youth seeing that crossed over "the big three-oh", tried to break the sound barrier and got caught. He got flustered and made up the shittiest excuse ever.

That is literally 90% of me and my mates growing up. And if it happened in Australia my first thought would be "He's coming home from Bathurst isn't he?" So what is the weird part?

The whataboutism is strong in this thread. /Obi Wan

ETA: Oops, I meant Darth Vader!
The premise of whataboutism is the intent to create a false equivalence to distort the argument. For example during a discussion of Trump's criminal indiscretions someone says, "what about Hunter's laptop?" Last time I checked, Hunter Biden has never campaigned for anything and isn't a political or public figure.

Comparing a VP's alleged criminal history with a Presidential candidate's alleged criminal history is about as close to parity as one can get. Sorry if that distinction is too complicated but I have full confidence in your ability to brush it off as goalpost shifting or something.

The whataboutism is strong in this thread. /Obi Wan

ETA: Oops, I meant Darth Vader!
The premise of whataboutism is the intent to create a false equivalence to distort the argument. For example during a discussion of Trump's criminal indiscretions someone says, "what about Hunter's laptop?" Last time I checked, Hunter Biden has never campaigned for anything and isn't a political or public figure.

Comparing a VP's alleged criminal history with a Presidential candidate's alleged criminal history is about as close to parity as one can get. Sorry if that distinction is too complicated but I have full confidence in your ability to brush it off as goalpost shifting or something.
Said just what I was going to say, so you saved me the trouble.

Last edited:
School vouchers are screwing the urban school systems.
I am not the biggest fan of vouchers either, but I think urban school systems are screwed by their governance, not vouchers.
Reality: Vouchers end up going to students who were already at private school. And, surprise!, tuition went up.

Vouchers and also charter schools were a (slapdash) response to failing school systems, not their cause.
They are not the cause but they will make the problem worse by siphoning off money.

The stated purpose of providing alternatives isn't what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom