• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
I just hope right wingers don't go on a crusade against Minnesota.
#BLMers already did their crusade there in 2020. One crusade per decade is more than enough.
I love Minnesota, and Minneapolis. It's the Amsterdam of the United States.
It's hardly Amsterdam. Weed may be legal, but sex work isn't.
married-man-looking-at-a-sex-worker.jpeg

Had Walz done that, I just may have become Walz-pilled too. As it stands, he just a garden variety West Coast style fauxgressive in Midwestern clothes.

I know of nobody who only has one ancestry except for maybe some folks down in the Deep South.
That stereotype is applied to Southerners, but in reality consanguineous marriage is common in Arab/Muslim countries.
41436_2011_Article_BFgim2011137_Fig1_HTML.jpg

But you leftists don't want to ridicule them ...

After watching a bit of Shapiro's speech at today's rally, I was thinking "did they make a mistake here?"

Nah...Walz is killing it. That was a helluva speech. No mistake was made.

Shapiro gave a fiery speech that rallied up the base but did very little to appeal to less partisan voters. It did appeal to me, but the contrast with Walz's speech also brought down the house with a different vibe. Walz has a real potential to bring in moderate Republicans and independents. Not only is his optimism infectious, but he sells progressive ideas in a way that can appeal to everyone. What makes Walz particularly good is that his speeches use humor to poke fun at his political opponents and still inspire people to treat each other with a sense of respect and shared values. I can understand why a deeply red political district would reelect him to Congress repeatedly as a Democrat, when they had had only one elected Democrat since the 19th century. After he left Congress, the district flipped back to red. His biography is full of amazing achievements, including coaching a record losing football team to become state champions in just one year. And, as a high school coach, he volunteered to be faculty advisor to an LGBT club. Kamala Harris delivered a superb account of his lifetime achievements.
Walz seems like Harris called up Central Casting and gave them a list of what she needed to make Trump and Vance turn to jello and they delivered. I think it means the end of debates for this campaign season. Trump is certainly not going on the same stage with Harris and for all Vance's shortcomings, I think even he can predict the outcome of an encounter with Walz.

Actually I kept forgetting she was Indian.
I think that was Trump's point.
No, that wasn't what Trump was doing. Trump was gaslighting Harris's identity to African Americans in an attempt to make it appear that she didn't think of herself as black. It is a desperate ploy to get blacks to just stay at home.
Independent of Trump there has been this move to distinguish between "American descendants of slavery" (ADOS) and others who identify as black, such as Obama and Harris.
But I think what Trump was trying to do (in his usual inartful way) was point out that she emphasized different parts of her identity at different parts of her career. San Francisco has few blacks, but many Asians, so she emphasized her South Indian heritage. But when she started eyeing a national stage, she started emphasizing her black ancestry much more ("I was that girl" etc.) So much so that you keep forgetting she was Indian in the first place!

That is literally 90% of me and my mates growing up. And if it happened in Australia my first thought would be "He's coming home from Bathurst isn't he?" So what is the weird part?
Well, for starters. Walz would have been on the wrong side of the road...

That is literally 90% of me and my mates growing up. And if it happened in Australia my first thought would be "He's coming home from Bathurst isn't he?" So what is the weird part?
Well, for starters. Walz would have been on the wrong side of the road...
However, I did say on the way home from Bathurst. Driving on the correct side isn't a guarantee.

I'm starting to love Walz, despite being dubious at first. I think he's a wonderful person with lots of experience who will be able to draw in a good number of rural voters. Plus, he has a wonderful sense of humor, which to me is a big plus for a politician. I was so happy to see so many NYTImes commenters praising him this morning after an editorial written by a woman who grew up in rural America!

Walz is the pick. Breaking news.
And Kami continues her tradition of poor judgment.

Appeasing islamofascists is not a good strategy.

Hey, Derec, you’re not keeping up to date with the right-wing slur machine. Appeasing Islamofascists? Pish-posh! Check out the “he’s a closet terrorist” item at electoral-vote.com. Among other things, it turns out that Walz is a member of ISIS!

Gotta stay current with the latest Great Right-Wing Hate Machine venom, Derec, if ya wanna be a playah.

Actually I kept forgetting she was Indian.
I think that was Trump's point.
No, Trump's point was that Harris doesn't consider herself black. My point was I didn't remember she was Indian. Like ever. If I knew it, it was buried in my brain somewhere. Of course, a person's identity isn't that high importance wise in my brain.
No, that wasn't what Trump was doing. Trump was gaslighting Harris's identity to African Americans in an attempt to make it appear that she didn't think of herself as black. It is a desperate ploy to get blacks to just stay at home.
Independent of Trump...
We are talking about Trump. Trump brought this up to try to get blacks to not connect with Harris by saying she is only 'saying' she is black to get their vote. That is pretty fucked up.
But I think what Trump was trying to do (in his usual inartful way) was point out that she emphasized different parts of her identity at different parts of her career. San Francisco has few blacks, but many Asians, so she emphasized her South Indian heritage. But when she started eyeing a national stage, she started emphasizing her black ancestry much more ("I was that girl" etc.) So much so that you keep forgetting she was Indian in the first place!
I noticed that was uncited/unsourced/unquoted, but I'm sure you actually were knee deep in her campaign for District Attorney during W's first term in office.

It is amazing how quickly the right-wing media just gets you folks onto a narrative. CRT, transgender, Harris's campaigning while an official in San Francisco? It is impressive. Scary as all fuck, but impressive.

I'm starting to love Walz, despite being dubious at first. I think he's a wonderful person with lots of experience who will be able to draw in a good number of rural voters. Plus, he has a wonderful sense of humor, which to me is a big plus for a politician. I was so happy to see so many NYTImes commenters praising him this morning after an editorial written by a woman who grew up in rural America!
It is early. Time will tell, but from what I'm reading, Walz is a good selection that provides a number of checked boxes. I still say Whitmer would have been best, but this fulfills the Midwest politician category, which I think was one of the most important things. Harris is enjoying one of the most unusual honeymoons for a campaign in US history especially this "late" into a an election cycle (oh gawd, why can't this just be how its done... votes in August for a primary?!).

Also it is funny how the couch claims are fair game, but pointing out Kami slept with a man twice her age to get on some state boards is "misogyny". :rolleyesa:

You really don’t get the difference at all, do you?

You have no idea in this world why she dated Brown.
You do know about Vance and couch because he wrote about it his ownself in a book that he published and made money on.
I have to make a slight correction: Vance did NOT write about masturbating in his book. That is a fabrication that went viral on Twitter.

Thank you for the correction. It does make a difference, in my mind, that he didn’t write it. That would make me unwilling to repeat it, personally.

The facts for Derec’s edification remain salient, though. This kind of story does not create broad harm to men by the retelling, even when it’s false, as the false bit about Harris does to women.
Well to be fair, I know a lot of people that probably tried jacking off using a couch at least once in their lives.

There's nothing wrong per SE with being a couch fucker.

JD Vance just made it weird*.

Last edited by a moderator:
The facts for Derec’s edification remain salient, though. This kind of story does not create broad harm to men by the retelling, even when it’s false, as the false bit about Harris does to women.

I just wanted to expand on this for Derec, in case he still doesn’t understand it.
  • If you repeatedly (falsely or accurately) accuse men for engaging in self love, with or without a couch; they will not become identified as and normalized as PREY for predatory women.
  • If you repeatedly (falsely or accurately) accuse women for engaging in providing sex for favors; they, women in general, become identified as and normalized as PREY by predatory men.

There is an enormous, huge, vast different between mocking men for self-gratification and mocking women as objects of others’ gratification.

I realize that being normalized as prey is not something that some men think about the consequences of, but it is a huge issue in our society and people of compassion and wisdom WILL speak out against it.

Viewing this thread as a microcosm gives cause for optimism. I like how the RW apologist becomes an object of levity under current circumstance.
Misogyny and racism rear their ugly heads, but somehow last month’s scary monster has become this month’s silly object of ridicule.

I just wanted to expand on this for Derec, in case he still doesn’t understand it.
  • If you repeatedly (falsely or accurately) accuse men for engaging in self love, with or without a couch; they will not become identified as and normalized as PREY for predatory women.
  • If you repeatedly (falsely or accurately) accuse women for engaging in providing sex for favors; they, women in general, become identified as and normalized as PREY by predatory men.
There is an enormous, huge, vast different between mocking men for self-gratification and mocking women as objects of others’ gratification.
One is a joke at someone's expense. The other is an attack to belittle the target. I think the word "repeatedly" is accurate, though obsessively wouldn't be inaccurate, as Derec has gone as far as calling Harris 'Heels up' on numerous occasions.

The interesting this is that Derec is allegedly "liberal" about sex, but that only seems to be as far as his needs are concerned. When it comes to a woman and sex, it is alright to Puritanize it and attack woman with it.

One is a joke at someone's expense. The other is an attack to belittle the target. I think the word "repeatedly" is accurate, though obsessively wouldn't be inaccurate, as Derec has gone as far as calling Harris 'Heels up' on numerous occasions.

The interesting this is that Derec is allegedly "liberal" about sex, but that only seems to be as far as his needs are concerned. When it comes to a woman and sex, it is alright to Puritanize it and attack woman with it.
And also to denigrate younger women/older men relationships, for no rational reason at all and indeed for no stated reason whatsoever.

I noticed that was uncited/unsourced/unquoted, but I'm sure you actually were knee deep in her campaign for District Attorney during W's first term in office.

It is amazing how quickly the right-wing media just gets you folks onto a narrative. CRT, transgender, Harris's campaigning while an official in San Francisco? It is impressive. Scary as all fuck, but impressive.

Not just to accept the narrative, but believe it wholeheartedly and push it at every opportunity. As has been said, Trump was trying to drive a wedge with the black voters, and the fact that he even said it in front of that audience? They're black journalists who report on black issues affecting the black community (some of whom were no doubt also biracial) and he came off like the classic "I can't be racist because I know black people" guy.

As far as the "Harris slept her way to the top" thing, that attack falls apart for a couple reasons. Yes, she dated Willie Brown, which can be said by a lot of women. He did give her a low level job in city government, but then what? She went onto become a successful prosecutor, Attorney General, Senator, and Vice President. She may have gotten her foot in the door due to her relationship with Brown, but after that everything was on her own merits. And it's weird that this is the line of attack from a campaign to elect a man who hired his own wildly unqualified daughter for a high level job in the White House, which she promptly turned around and used to make millions for her personal business in China, violating the Hatch Act like breaking that law was her only job.

What else did Ivanka do in her time in government that she got by virtue of nepotism? Why doesn't Derec ever bring that up if he's so concerned about unqualified people in the White House? Of all Trump's children, Ivanka is the only one you could say would be successful on her own (she does seem to be the smartest one...like keeping her distance from this whole mess this time around) but she definitely used her daddy's name to get ahead. I've seen some pretty awful things said about Harris on the topic of her time dating Brown, but the right wing never has an unkind word to say about Trump's oldest daughter or her husband (who nabbed a billion-dollar deal for himself while working - wildly unqualified - in the White House).

And getting back to the misogyny thing, the attack on Harris "sleeping her way to the top" is yet another example that goes back years. If she were a man who'd been a top prosecutor, AG, Senator, and VP, she'd be hailed as eminently qualified to be President. Where have we heard this stuff before? Hillary Rodham Clinton. She was accused of riding her husband's coat-tails, though if you look at the facts, she was arguably the smarter and better lawyer, and by the time she ran for the White House, she was arguably the most qualified candidate of any race or gender. Ever. Eminently well-educated, experienced attorney, Senator, Secretary of State, and one of the most consequential First Ladies in history, with a deep knowlege of the inner workings of the White House.

She lost (thanks to the EC) to a guy who only got rich because of his daddy. And here we are again, 12 years later. "She's shrill. I don't like her laugh. She slept her way to the top. She's not qualified. Women are too emotional. Is she going to be ready when that 3am phone call comes in?"

It's Sofa King frustrating.

I hope Harris and Walz can balance this out somehow. It wouldn’t look good Walz overshadowing Harris at speaking engagements and they surely wouldn’t want Walz to tamp down his rhetoric, it’s too effective.

I agree with you. He's a very convincing, sincere and charismatic progressive. I don't think that he will upstage Harris. He is a very safe pick. He has my vote. But Harris has my vote also. However, he dosn't expand the base. My vote was already in the bag. But if Harris wants to win, we need to expand the vote. The dems needs millions more votes than republicans to win the Presidency. Kelly and/or Shapiro would have expanded the vote and shored up some her weaknesses.

However, he dosn't expand the base.
Oh, I disagree. It may or may not be a significant expansion but Walz has a unique style of delivering what is actually a progressive message in the terms of a midwest "family man" conservative. I'm sure that's going to get through to a few who are put off by the "lib'rul elites".

Back
Top Bottom