• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Well, Shapiro doesn't trigger your obsession with BLM protests, so I can understand that. Walz does, because of the rightwing propaganda campaign directed at his handling of the reaction in black communities to the George Floyd murder.
There is no "right-wing propaganda". There was a lot of rioting in Minneapolis with the city and state authorities doing precious little to restore order.
00unrest-mayor01alt-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

Wait, is that Governor Walz with his hands up in the air standing in front of the burning building???? No wonder you are outraged at his handling of the situation when a mayor called out for help without specifying what kind, how much, and where. BTW, Governor Walz seems to have gained a lot of weight since then. He should have been pitching in to help with a water bucket brigade. It could have been worse. He could have been playing a fiddle while the building was burning.

It is not relevant to Walz’s fitness.
Speaking of fitness, he does look like he should take his own advice and get off the couch himself. :tonguea:
Double standards are relevant in looking at hypocrisy, but not in the candidates fitness.
True. It is hypocrisy I am pointing out. People who were saying Kav wasn't fit for office because of 30 year old uncorroborated accusations are now saying that 30 year old DUI has nothing to do with their guy's fitness for office because it was so long ago and because he was young when he did it.

Nevertheless, Kavanaugh is on SCOTUS.
Tom
And Walz will (most likely) be in the Eisenhower Building.

There is still a double standard between how uncorroborated accusations against teenage Kav were handled, vs. how dismissive Dems are over their guy's DUI at 31.
Bullshit.
There are lots of reasons for criticism of Kavanaugh. His mistreatment of women decades ago is just one.

So why are you so determined to keep talking about a DUI from 30 years ago?

Is that the best thing you can think of to attack Walz about, while the Harris-Walz ticket kicks Teaparty-Trump ass?
That's what it looks like to me.
Tom

Kavanaugh did admit to underaged drinking.
Crime of the century, surely. Much worse than driving 96 mph while drunk. :rolleyesa:
I’m not defending Walz.
I have no idea what his drinking habits are these days but he looks like he tosses them back pretty hard.
How would you even know?
And in either case, alcohol is neither illegal nor against judicial ethics.
It is illegal if you do it while under age as he admitted to based on his calendar and statements of when he had his drinking parties.
The sentence you are responding to was in reference to Toni making a big deal about Kav's present day drinking habits. Please pay attention.

Fair enough. I missed that.
A proper investigation into kavanaugh, which could have led to evidence, was never performed, having been scuttled by the White House.
What evidence do you think would have been uncovered?

I guess we will never know.

There is no physical evidence, there were no witnesses to the alleged attempted assault, and even CBF's friend is skeptical of her claims.
Unlike Walz who blew 0.128, so there is evidence.

Yes. We all agree Walz was driving drunk. Even him I believe.
kavanaugh’s completely unprofessional demeanor in the hearing, unbecoming of a Supreme Court justice, should have been enough to tank his nomination.
I think Walz' ranting about couches was pretty unprofessional too.

“Ranting about couches” is a gross mischaracterization. Maybe you forgot what the kavanaugh hearings were like. Klobuchr asks him “have you ever drank so much you blocked out” and he retorts with “have you?” Sheesh. Should have been led out of the room right then.
It’s not like there isn’t a long list of judges who could have replaced him.
Same with potential running mates.
The comparison is laughable. Walz’s actions took place decades ago and kavanaugh’s unprofessional attitude took place during his actual hearing.

Is The best you have a single tongue in cheek joke about a couch? He should be replaced as a running mate because of that?? Maybe it was poor taste but it was nothing like the attitude kavanaugh displayed at his hearing.

Who are you quoting?
The overall tenor of the posts defending Walz for his DUI.
You are exaggerating.

No one is saying Walz committed a "youthful indiscretion", and no one is defending the DUI. They are saying the drunk driving happened one time decades ago, and the guy took responsibility for his actions and quit drinking.

Honestly, I think you're irritated and disappointed that Shapiro isn't the VP pick and that's why you're repeating the weak sauce right wing attacks on Harris and Walz.

Honestly, I think you're irritated and disappointed that Shapiro isn't the VP pick and that's why you're repeating the weak sauce right wing attacks on Harris and Walz.
I would bet that if Shapiro had been the pick, Derec would have had plenty to complain about him too.

Wait, is that Governor Walz with his hands up in the air standing in front of the burning building????
No, but he didn't do enough against the rioters.

Minneapolis mayor blames Gov. Tim Walz for ignoring warnings about riots
Of course the mayor blames the governor to deflect from his poir decisions.
Derec said:
And later he released a child killer because of pressure by the same mob.
It’s a good thing you only ride hobby horses because real horses are expensive Especially with the number you ride.

Not that JDV is better, of course. I still plan to vote for Kamala and Walz as the lesser weevils, but I am not enthusiastic about the ticket.
Walz could possibly be worse than insufferable prick Gavin Newsom.

I’ll take my chances with Trump over these authoritarian control freaks.
What makes Kamala Harris, Tim Walz, and Gavin Newsom "authoritarian control freaks"?

I would bet that if Shapiro had been the pick, Derec would have had plenty to complain about him too.

Naw. Shapiro would actually have been a wise choice for Kamala. Unlike the meme candidate Walz.

Kamala is already on the left wing of the Democratic Party. And now she picked a choice clamored for by the Squad. There is no ideological balance to the ticket.

Naw. Shapiro would actually have been a wise choice for Kamala. Unlike the meme candidate Walz.

Easy to say that when he’s not the pick.

Kamala is already on the left wing of the Democratic Party. And now she picked a choice clamored for by the Squad. There is no ideological balance to the ticket.

The more democratic way to pick VP candidates would be to have proper primaries and the top choice is the Presidential nominee and second place is VP nominee.

That way a potential president is supported by the people and not the whim of a single individual.

If the Squad drinking water would you stop drinking it?

It is delusional to call Harris snd Walz leftwing

A few minor quibbles about him not being sufficiently brutal when dealing with black people, maybe, but nothing major. Being an unabashed supporter of Israel excuses a lot of flaws in the places where Derec gets his memes.

I know that you do not realize this but sexual assault harms victims for years. Sometimes it even kills them. There were multiple victims of Kavanaugh and yes, there were witnesses but they were pretty much blown off. Evidence? No, there is so rarely 'evidence' such as what would be acceptable to you? Video of a confession? Multiple witnesses (actually there were) ? Bruises? Blood? Broken bones? A broken hymen? What evidence is there ever that someone tried to hold you down and stick their dick in you, or grabbed your breast or your crotch. Ask me how I know.

It took a couple years before my then girlfriend (and future ex wife) was able to start to tell me about the abuse. Like, you've been dating someone for years, you've moved in together, and then for no reason you can understand, they're curled up in a ball in the corner of the bedroom after something you did together and you don't know what's wrong. Then it took another year before she described what happened. When he hit her so hard she passed out because she didn't do it right, and when she came to there was a gun pointed at her temple. Then you flash back to earlier when she was doing that thing and you think "man, how did she get so good at this?' and you realize why.

It took years before my ex could bring herself to talk about the depths of the horror she experienced. Some of the stuff that happened I didn't even know about until after we were divorced 7 years later. It was a good solid 10 years before we finally sorted out most of everything else, and 20 years until we were able to be somewhat "normal" with each other.

And don't get me started on the "well if you're being abused, why don't you just leave?"thing.

A few minor quibbles about him not being sufficiently brutal when dealing with black people, maybe, but nothing major. Being an unabashed supporter of Israel excuses a lot of flaws in the places where Derec gets his memes.
I’m just saying that his posts (these and most others in general) look like he’s trying hard just to find something to complain about.
perhaps he would have just posted “Shapiro! Great pick!!” And left it at that. Just something makes me doubt it.

I could be wrong. No worries.

Easy to say that when he’s not the pick.
Perhaps so, but I have been arguing for him before Kamala announced Walz.
The more democratic way to pick VP candidates would be to have proper primaries and the top choice is the Presidential nominee and second place is VP nominee.
I think Dems should have had some sort of blitz primary. Not sure that the second-place finisher should automatically be the running mate, but that person should definitely be on the short list.

If the Squad drinking water would you stop drinking it?
Choice of running mate is a bit different than something like water, don't you think?
It is delusional to call Harris snd Walz leftwing
Is it? Kamala came in favor of M4A as well as for banning all fracking and offshore drilling. Walz was reportedly a moderate congressman, but shifted to the left as governor. He was not the favorite pick of fauxgressives for no reason.

Last edited:
Walz could possibly be worse than insufferable prick Gavin Newsom.
What's your problem with Newsom? Isn't he now doing exactly what you wanted him to do, engaging in mass systematic violence against the homeless population of his state? The people you hate are in jail, their property requisitioned and discarded by the state. No one likes a sore winner, dude, you should take your victories with more grace.

I think Dems should have had some sort of blitz primary. Not sure that the second-place finisher should automatically be the running mate, but that person should definitely be on the short list.
well, it seems some are complaining about “democracy” when it comes to Kamala as nominee, when the VP is and has been for quite some time not democratically picked either. So my idea could fend off that complaint.

But the real answer is At the election. If you don’t like the option you don’t have to vote for the option.

Back
Top Bottom