• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll Dem VP Pic: your choice?

Reflecting that a poll is included in the thread.

Democratic Vice President Pick

• Josh Shapiro

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Gretchen Whimer

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Michelle Obama

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cory Booker

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Schumer

• Other?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Eric Swalwell

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Andy Beshear

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Wait, is that Governor Walz with his hands up in the air standing in front of the burning building????
No, but he didn't do enough against the rioters.

Minneapolis mayor blames Gov. Tim Walz for ignoring warnings about riots

I've already addressed that, and you said nothing to contradict what I said. The mayor of Minneapolis was pointing fingers at the governor, because he just made a phone call but failed to submit a coherent request for National Guard troops. Your picture of a rioter in front of a burning building had nothing to do with his response, but it does show how influenced you are by rightwing propaganda and fearmongering, especially over issues involving race. Even Donald Trump voiced full support for Walz's handling of the situation at that time. Now, of course, he can only find fault with it--the same as you.

And later he released a child killer because of pressure by the same mob.

He was one vote on a parole board that commuted a life sentence for a teenager who had been convicted on very questionable evidence from a flawed prosecution. When Burrell was released in 2020, it was 18 years later, and he had spent half his life in prison before new investigations uncovered the flaws. There was no circumstantial evidence to convict him, so the prosecutor relying on questionable jailhouse confessions. Burrell himself had steadfastly maintained his innocence while in jail.

See:

Life sentence commuted, Myon Burrell leaves Stillwater prison

A unanimous vote is normally required by the governor, attorney general and the chief justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court. Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison, who sit on the Board of Pardons, voted to approve the commutation. The third member, Chief Justice Lorie Skjerven Gildea, has recused herself from the decision.

Gov. Tim Walz, recommending the commuted sentence, said science has found and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that teenage minds work differently than those of adults, and that a life sentence for a teenager is too extreme. Last week, an independent panel of national legal experts also recommended Burrell's immediate release after reviewing the facts and all of the available evidence.

In 2023, Burrell was arrested again, but on drug and gun charges--not the original murder that he had been paroled for. While he may have been innocent of the murder, it seems that he may have become a drug addict and dealer. When he was released, there was no guarantee that he would go on to stay out of trouble.

Easy to say that when he’s not the pick.
Perhaps so, but I have been arguing for him before Kamala announced Walz.
The more democratic way to pick VP candidates would be to have proper primaries and the top choice is the Presidential nominee and second place is VP nominee.
I think Dems should have had some sort of blitz primary. Not sure that the second-place finisher should automatically be the running mate, but that person should definitely be on the short list.
I was not much of a fan of Walz as VP before he was announced but I’m all in now. I think he brings a lot to the ticket—regular guy-ish, coach, teacher, legislator, governor, service career ( which bugs the crap out of me that it matters but somehow it does to other people). Funny as heck, comfortable in front of crowds, able to speak off the cuff and not sound like an idiot.

Oh, don’t get me wrong: I like him as governor. I think I hated to see him leave that post.

If the Squad drinking water would you stop drinking it?
Choice of running mate is a bit different than something like water, don't you think?
Water is necessary for life, VPs are not. Your evasion is duly noted.

Derec said:
Is it? Kamala came in favor of M4A as well as for banning all fracking and offshore drilling. Walz was reportedly a moderate congressman, but shifted to the left as governor. He was not the favorite pick of fauxgressives for no reason.
Thank you for making my case. Disagreement with you policy preferences is not tge usual standard for “leftwing”.

So it's "he said, she said". Unlike the situation with Walz, where there is actual evidence of a crime having been committed.

Kavanaugh did admit to underaged drinking.

I have no idea what his drinking habits are these days but he looks like he tosses them back pretty hard.
How would you even know?
And in either case, alcohol is neither illegal nor against judicial ethics.

It is illegal if you do it while under age as he admitted to based on his calendar and statements of when he had his drinking parties.

So let's sum up. Two things, both 30 years in the past.
One was 31 year old, the other was a teenager, even in the alleged college incident.
One has physical evidence, the others have no evidence.

A proper investigation into kavanaugh, which could have led to evidence, was never performed, having been scuttled by the White House.
And yet you think the first is not a big deal, while the second should have scuttled Kav's nomination.
kavanaugh’s completely unprofessional demeanor in the hearing, unbecoming of a Supreme Court justice, should have been enough to tank his nomination. It’s not like there isn’t a long list of judges who could have replaced him.

Though we now know that the behavioral standards of Supreme Court justices is so low that virtually nothing he did is actually below it.
We knew that during Thomas’ nomination process.

A few minor quibbles about him not being sufficiently brutal when dealing with black people,
That's all you and the Ilk care about, the race of the rioters, rather than what they did.
Being an unabashed supporter of Israel
It does help, esp. when so many Dems these days being rabidly anti-Israel. Esp. Squad members like Rashida Tlaib.
a lot of flaws in the places where Derec gets his memes.
I wonder, where do you Walz-pilled get your memes?

Wait, is that Governor Walz with his hands up in the air standing in front of the burning building????

According to Trump, he handled it quite well! Trump was quoted as saying during the BLM riots"I know Governor Walz is on the phone, and we spoke, and I fully agree with the way he handled it the last couple of days."

Walz first came to my attention in 2020, when he didn't do much about the very violent riots tearing up Minneapolis. Then he released a child murderer because the mob demanded he do it.

Not that JDV is better, of course. I still plan to vote for Kamala and Walz as the lesser weevils, but I am not enthusiastic about the ticket.

Walz could possibly be worse than insufferable prick Gavin Newsom.

I’ll take my chances with Trump over these authoritarian control freaks.
Doesn’t like authoritarians. Supports the Heritage Foundation. Makes sense.

Nah, you just made that up.
Can’t have Trump without it. Package deal. Throw in Heartland Institute and ALEC.

According to Trump, he handled it quite well! Trump was quoted as saying during the BLM riots"I know Governor Walz is on the phone, and we spoke, and I fully agree with the way he handled it the last couple of days."
Well, Trump is a prolific liar. Don’t believe that guy!!

Water is necessary for life, VPs are not. Your evasion is duly noted.
That was my point. Your analogy made no sense. Hence, no evasion.
It was not an analogy. You reject Walz because the Squad like him. Using that standard, you should reject water if they endorse it. Your evasion is duty noted.

Derec said:
It is when those policies are on the left.
It is your standard but it makes your observations appear delusional. When someone is “leftwing” it means almost all of yheir biews are left wing, not just some.

Last edited:

Good point! However, in this case, I believe him. Trump has as much sympathy for BLM protestors as Ukrainians do for Russian soldiers invading their country. About zero! I see no reason for him to lie about this.

Good point! However, in this case, I believe him. Trump has as much sympathy for BLM protestors as Ukrainians do for Russian soldiers invading their country. About zero! I see no reason for him to lie about this.
I don’t think Trump relies on reason when telling lies. But it may indeed be truth here, yes.

You are the last person on this board to judge a woman's nature of her relationship with a man.
Why exactly? Because I do not have positions on state boards to give away to women half my age?
The rules by the mods here prevent me from responding honestly.

Back
Top Bottom