• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

The Book of Bernie: What is Sanders' religion? - CNNPolitics

"I think when we talk about God, whether it is Christianity, or Judaism, or Islam, or Buddhism, what we are talking about is what all religions hold dear," Sanders said during a CNN town hall in March. "And, that is: To do unto others as you would like them to do unto you." In other words, Sanders says, his spirituality can be summed up by the Golden Rule.
God = Golden Rule?
God = connectedness with each other?

That's not what's ordinarily called "God".
But what Sanders doesn't say about God and faith can be revealing. He never speaks of an Almighty who blesses the United States or hears the prayers of Israel, nor a God who judges the quick and the dead.

"He explicitly does not say that he believes in an Abrahamic God who controls everything," said Paul Fidalgo, a spokesman for the humanist Center for Inquiry.

At a Fox news town hall, BS once claimed that healthcare is a human right.
"Where does that right come from?" interrupted Fox's Brett Baier.

That kind of question turns most people angling for the White House into amateur theologians. Even the deist Thomas Jefferson argued that our most important rights come from a Creator.

But Sanders wouldn't take the bait.

"Being a human being" is the source of our rights, he said. Motioning to a woman in the audience, Sanders continued, "I believe that if she is poor and you are rich, she is entitled to the same quality health care you have, because she is a human being."
No theology there. It fits with how his support is mainly people under 45 and people who seldom if ever attend religious services.
"I feel weird using words like values and morals," said comedian Sarah Silverman while introducing Sanders at a rally in Los Angeles last year, "because those are words that have been co-opted by people who wear them like shrouds to justify terrible things like bigotry and greed. I'd like to take them back tonight to describe Bernie Sanders. His moral compass and his sense of values inspire me."

Did Bernie Sanders just reveal his true religious beliefs? | The New Republic
Moralistic therapeutic deism is a fairly new sociological term used to describe the spiritual sensibilities of people who believe that there’s a god, sort of, and that the point of this nebulous supernatural force is to encourage people to better themselves morally and get along with others. Sometimes there are vaguely karmic leanings, like the idea that good people have good afterlives, but it’s more of a category of spiritual notions than any well-defined set of commitments or beliefs.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is a common part of liberal religion. It reminds me of what Thomas Paine stated in "Age of Reason":
I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life. I believe in the equality of man, and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy.

At that CNN town hall, BS stated:
“[Religion] is a guiding principle in my life—absolutely it is. Everybody practices religion in a different way. I wouldn’t be here tonight, I would not be running for president of the United States if I didn’t have very strong religious and spiritual feelings…

If we have children who are hungry, if we have elderly people who can’t afford prescription drugs ... my spirituality is that we are all in this together, and that when children go hungry, when veterans sleep out on the street, it impacts me. That is my very strong spiritual belief.”
So what he called "religion" is do-gooderism with traditional theology treated as irrelevant.

Kamala Harris closes campaign offices and fires staff in New Hampshire - CNNPolitics
Sen. Kamala Harris is closing three of her four presidential campaign offices in New Hampshire and has fired all her field organizers in the state as she homes in on her struggling campaign in Iowa, an aide tells CNN.

The California Democrat is closing her offices in Nashua, Portsmouth and Keene. Her Manchester headquarters will remain open, but the staff will be scaled back significantly, with only volunteers left to knock on doors and pass out literature.
So she's hoping to win in Iowa. If she doesn't, then she's likely to drop out.

Election 2020: Julian Castro staying in the race after hitting fundraising goal

Some more we haven't heard much of recently: Cory Booker, John Delaney, Wayne Messam, Joe Sestak, Marianne Williamson.

A class guide to the 2020 presidential election: Joel Kotkin – Daily News

JK notes that just about every politician claims to be taking the side of the "working class" and "middle class families". He then gets into class distinctions in US society, making analogies to medieval society.

He starts out with the oligarchs, roughly the top 0.01% in wealth distribution. Oligarchs can fund campaigns, political action committees, and media outlets.

Some pro-Democratic oligarchs: the tech sector, Wall Street, Hollywood. They support economically nonthreatening but socially liberal politicians like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, and in the 2020 race, Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, and Kamala Harris.
Trump, of course, also boasts oligarchal supporters from older sectors of the corporate elite — retail chain owners, builders of single-family homes, manufacturing and energy executives. Given the Democratic embrace of the Green New Deal, massive redistribution of income and reversing corporate tax cuts, a lot of old economy money will flow into Dr. Demento’s coffers this time around.

What JK calls the clerisy, our society's professional class:
What analyst Michael Lind calls the “overclass” — made up of academics, the media and well-paid professionals — represents some 15 percent of the American workforce. This group has done better than the traditional middle class, much less the working class, but over the past few decades has lost much ground against the oligarchs, who have reaped the vast majority of the economic gains.

Like the rising professional classes of the gilded age, many in the clerisy are offended by the huge wealth of the oligarchs.
Elizabeth Warren is a favorite of this one.

The yeomanry, as he calls them:
Most of America sees itself as middle class. But there’s a growing gap between the yeomanry — small business and property owners — and the clerisy as well as a vast, expanding class of permanently landless permanent serfs. Most members of the yeomanry work in the private sector; unlike the clerisy, for them government regulation provides not employment, but a burden.
Though they often prefer Republican policies, they also often find Trump abhorrent.

The serfs, as he calls them, even though they are not legally bound to particular employers:
The property-less working class does not tend to vote as much as the yeomanry, but their numbers are growing. Some are déclassé millennials unable to launch full careers or afford to buy houses. Unlike previous generations, they also have been reluctant to start businesses.

Many of the new serf class inhabit the precariat, a modern proletariat lacking the protections of steady work and trade unions. Many participate in the gig economy as Uber drivers, trainers, personal assistants and contract technicians. Most depend on their gigs for their livelihood income, and they are often lowly paid; according to one study nearly half of gig workers in California are under the poverty line.
They are big supporters of Bernie Sanders, and to a lesser extent, EW.

The other is support for such things as reparations, health care for the undocumented, open borders and virtually unlimited right to abortion. These positions may not play well in blue-collar communities, particularly in the Midwest, Great Plains and the south. Whoever wins the Democratic nomination cannot win based only on support from the clerical and oligarchal elites but also by winning over the serf vote, which they now are in danger of squandering.
Proles who dislike such things are proles who often end up voting Republican, including for Trump.

Now to race. I will start by pointing out that racial identity is often culturally dependent. In Race in a Genetic World | Harvard Magazine biomedical researcher Duana Fullwiley describe how her racial identity changes as she travels from her US home to Senegal, where she does fieldwork:
  • US: black
  • France: mixed-race - métisse
  • Senegal: white - tubaab / toubab (Wolof)

Caucasian race - Caucasoid, Europid - Macro-European? Western Eurasian? - Named after someone using a skull of someone from the Caucasus Mountains as a good type specimen, a good reference. Usually includes premodern people of Europe, Western Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa. Though Caucasoids are usually light-skinned, some are relatively dark-skinned.

Historical race concepts goes into detail about that.

But now that we have genetics, we can do research into human genetic variation:
 Race and genetics
 Human genetic clustering
Population Genomics and the Statistical Values of Race: An Interdisciplinary Perspective on the Biological Classification of Human Populations and Implications for Clinical Genetic Epidemiological Research
Genetic Structure, Self-Identified Race/Ethnicity, and Confounding in Case-Control Association Studies
Massive migration from the steppe was a source for Indo-European languages in Europe
The Genetic Ancestry of African Americans, Latinos, and European Americans across the United States
History Shaped the Geographic Distribution of Genomic Admixture on the Island of Puerto Rico

Genetic clustering:
  1. Europeans and Middle Easterners
  2. South Asians
  3. East Asians
  4. New Guineans, Melanesians
  5. (Pre-European) Central, South Americans
  6. Sub-Saharan Africans
To use some traditional names of races, clusters 1 and 2 are Caucasoid. 3 is Mongoloid, 4 is Australoid, 5 is Amerindoid, and 6 is Negroid.

And a load of pseudoscientific tosh besides. Victorian folk classifications of race have no place or usefulness in a conversation about genuine population genetic trends, and we've known that for more than half a century now. To bring Johannes Friedrich Fucking Blumenbach into a modern political discussion is indefensible and a pure distraction at best.

So she's hoping to win in Iowa. If she doesn't, then she's likely to drop out.
At this point, a strong finish in Iowa, anything in the top 3, would be a a major win for her campaign. She may hope for a win, but I do not think she will fold if she comes 2nd or 3rd. In fact, I think she'd be ecstatic - after, right now she is in low single digits in Iowa, miles behind Warren, Bernie, Biden and Buttigieg who all have double digit support. She just needs to be concerned about not running out of money by Super Tuesday.

¡Julian! should make like a tree and get out of here. He has no chance, even if he did raise some chump change. He is polling way too low at this point in the cycle and I see no path to nomination for him.

Beto has officially dropped out of the race. The next questions are, who will he endorse, and who will his voters go to now?
Koy must be having a sad. He thought β (together with Joe Kennedy of all people) would make a powerful ticket.

What is next for Beto remains to be seen.
I think the Texas Senate ship has sailed when he took his position against guns. Maybe he is hoping to get a cabinet post?

And a load of pseudoscientific tosh besides. Victorian folk classifications of race have no place or usefulness in a conversation about genuine population genetic trends, and we've known that for more than half a century now. To bring Johannes Friedrich Fucking Blumenbach into a modern political discussion is indefensible and a pure distraction at best.

Sorry. Where was Friedrich Blumenbach brought into the conversation?

Sorry. Where was Friedrich Blumenbach brought into the conversation?

Via his skull typology categories. "Caucasoid, Negroid" etc. It's outdated racist claptrap that has nothing to do with electoral politics.

Was that in one of Ipetrich's links?
BTW - I agree with you. It's claptrap pseudoscience

Another paper on genetic clustering: The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans | Science It does principal component analysis on human genetic variation. PCA is a common data-mining tool, and it searches for the directions in the data variation where the data varies the most. It essentially fits the data to a general ellipsoid and finds the directions and lengths of that ellipsoid's axes. One can then plot one's data on the axes of the largest variation.

Figure 2 in that paper has two plots, projecting three principal components onto a two-dimensional embedded image. I will describe how the data points vary in its two subgraphs. In A:
  1. Sub-Saharan Africans: from the origin along PC1 negative
  2. Hadza: from the middle of SSA's along PC3 positive
  3. Western Eurasians / Saharan Africans: from the origin along PC1 positive
  4. Central/Southern Eurasians: from the positive end of WE/SA further along PC1 and positive along PC2
  5. Oceanians: a bit offset from C/SE in negative PC1 direction
  6. Eastern Asians: a bit offset from C/SE in positive PC2 direction
  7. Native Americans: from the positive-PC2 end of EA further in the positive PC2 direction
#1 is Negroid or Congoid by traditional classifications, #2 is Capoid by some classifications, #3 and #4 are Caucasoid, though here also, the Western Eurasian / Southern Asian split appears. #5 is Australoid, #6 and #7 show the close relationship between eastern Asians and New-World people.

In B:
  • Western, Central, and Southern Africa: along PC1 positive
  • Eastern Africa: along PC1 negative
  • Hadza: along PC2 positive
  • Southern African / Khoesan: along PC3 positive
  • Pygmies: at PC1 positive and PC3 positive
This is roughly consistent with the Bantu expansion from West Africa into eastern and southern Africa.

American blacks turn out to be largely or mostly African, with some European admixture.

And a load of pseudoscientific tosh besides. ...
Why is evidence of genetic clustering by continental ancestry supposed to be "pseudoscientific tosh"?

I brought that up to give perspective to questions like racial identity. Why is Kamala Harris considered "black" when she is as light-skinned as her husband? Let's look at her ancestry. Half southern Asian and half a mixture of African and European, making her largely Caucasoid by traditional race classifications. Her husband Doug Emhoff is Jewish, and most European and European-descended Jews have largely Middle Eastern ancestry, making them Caucasoid or mostly Caucasoid.

Kamala Harris is culturally black, it seems, but her ancestry makes her a reverse Oreo. Even more of one than Barack Obama, who is half-half.

"Oreo"? That is an insult for black people who act too white. "Coconut", "banana", and "apple" are similar insults for people of other ancestries. It ought to be evident from these insults that all of humanity is potentially capable of "acting white".

What's the "white race", anyway? Anyone with European ancestry, it seems. Though in the US, that commonly omits people whose ancestors have gone through Latin America on the way. Leaving out that omission makes some Hispanics white people also - white Hispanics. We could reconcile genetics and this classification in another way, by calling such people off-white. Also Middle Easterners and maybe also South Asians.

Inside Beto O’Rourke’s collapse - POLITICO
While other candidates were assembling campaign staffs and volunteer armies in early nominating states, O’Rourke lacked the infrastructure necessary to organize his own supporters. ...

The signs of disorder were startling. ...

O’Rourke’s initial handling of the media was just as clumsy. ...

But at first, he believed he didn’t have to ...

It was a miscalculation, and O’Rourke was punished for it. ...

“I heard the way you ingratiate yourself to voters is to stand on things, so I found this park bench here,” Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., joked at an event in New Hampshire this spring, referring to TV coverage of O’Rourke standing on tables and countertops while speaking at events.
So his campaign was very disorganized.

Inside Beto O’Rourke’s collapse - POLITICO
While other candidates were assembling campaign staffs and volunteer armies in early nominating states, O’Rourke lacked the infrastructure necessary to organize his own supporters. ...

The signs of disorder were startling. ...

O’Rourke’s initial handling of the media was just as clumsy. ...

But at first, he believed he didn’t have to ...

It was a miscalculation, and O’Rourke was punished for it. ...

“I heard the way you ingratiate yourself to voters is to stand on things, so I found this park bench here,” Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., joked at an event in New Hampshire this spring, referring to TV coverage of O’Rourke standing on tables and countertops while speaking at events.
So his campaign was very disorganized.

And he's an idiot.

Okay guys, we know that the scientific literature on human subgroups and the political categories of race are not the same. There's no point in rehashing that politics is once again ignorant. I still am supposed to check "Hispanic" on the forms that ask my race even though technically the term is meaningless.

Besides, Wallace Fard made it clear that the races are Ebonoid, Rubinoid, Citrinoid, and Albinoid due the experiments of a mad scientist named Yakub the Big Head Scientist.

Last edited:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kentuckians-have-finally-had-about-enough-of-mitch-mcconnell
What’s the print version of Donald Trump being booed at the World Series?
The poll showing that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, the president’s most stolid defender, is down to a 18 percent job approval rating in Kentucky. Only 37 percent in the Public Policy Poll said they would vote for him again next year.

It would be so sweet to see this PoS swept out of office come 2020.

An American friend who now makes Perth his hown tells me that all past Presidents including Obama and our own Australian PM who happened to be at the World Series one year are traditionally booed. It doesn't mean a thing despite the left media making it a big deal!

Back
Top Bottom