• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

Buttigieg is leading the latest IA poll. Good, just in time for the next debate and for his time in the barrel.

Oh and the Dem Governor Edwards won reelection in LA.

Iowa is a very conservative state. I wonder if this is some of republican fuckery that I spoke of earlier.

I was thinking the exact opposite! Pete could dramatically move the moderates to the left.

I like Mayor Pete. I think he would make a great VP candidate for someone. Far from a great presidential candidate, however.

Ryan Grim said:
Rolling out his racial justice plan, Pete Buttigieg claimed support from 2 prominent black South Carolina officials, Rep. Ivory Thigpen and black caucus chair Johnnie Cordero.

They told me they did not endorse his plan, had their names used anyway.

Pete using black people as props. From the article in the link:

To build support for the plan, Buttigieg and his staff lobbied prominent black South Carolinians to endorse it in order to strengthen the cause of racial justice. The Washington Post reported on Monday that “Buttigieg persuaded hundreds of prominent black South Carolinians to sign onto the plan even if they are not supporting Buttigieg himself.”

[...]

Three days later, the Buttigieg campaign began promoting a list of 400 South Carolinian supporters of his Douglass Plan in emails to reporters and posts on social media.

[...]

Listed at the top of the press release were three prominent supporters, Columbia City Councilwoman Tameika Devine; Rehoboth Baptist pastor and state Rep. Ivory Thigpen; and Johnnie Cordero, chair of the state party’s Black Caucus.

“There is one presidential candidate who has proven to have intentional policies designed to make a difference in the Black experience, and that’s Pete Buttigieg,” read the open letter released along with the plan. “We are over 400 South Carolinians, including business owners, pastors, community leaders, and students. Together, we endorse his Douglass Plan for Black America, the most comprehensive roadmap for tackling systemic racism offered by a 2020 presidential candidate.”

The blowback came immediately. Devine, who has not endorsed a candidate yet in the presidential election, told The Intercept that she did not intend her support for the plan to be read as an endorsement for Buttigieg’s candidacy, and believes the campaign was “intentionally vague” about the way it was presented.

Thigpen, meanwhile, has endorsed Sen. Bernie Sanders for president, and was startled when he learned the campaign had not only attached his name to the plan, but also listed him as one of three prominent supporters atop the letter.

And here, at the bottom of the article, is how his campaign got the supporters in the first place:

After publication, the Buttigieg campaign said it had sent the plan to the list of supporters and asked them to opt out if they did not want their name included on the list. That email also specified that the list was meant to represent “over 400 Black South Carolinians.”

Instead of waiting for the recipients to positively confirm that they supported his plan, Pete assumed that they supported it unless he heard otherwise. This is 'do you want to opt out of installing the Yahoo search bar' levels of duplicity.

The campaign only published the names of the supporters, without additional identifying information, which makes finding them in the voter file a challenge, given some have common names like James Wilson and Mary Williams. But for 184 of them, the voter file lists either one name, or lists multiple people, all of whom self-identify as white — so at least 42 percent of the entire list is white. And that means 62 percent of the 297 names that can be reliably checked are white.

[...]

Meanwhile, of those 297, seven are repeated; one of them appears three times. According to a review of public record databases and social media sites, multiple names on the list appear to be from people who do not live in South Carolina. One person seems to not live in the United States at all but in São Paulo, Brazil.

Two others may be badly misspelled at best, as they don’t appear anywhere online or in voter databases. The rest, which add up to 125, can’t be found in the voter file.

The reason for these tactics should be clear: Pete's plan is more of the same means-tested McKinsey bullshit that never changes anything because it leaves the structural institutions that are to blame for racial discrepancies fully intact.

The reason for these tactics should be clear: Pete's plan is more of the same means-tested McKinsey bullshit that never changes anything because it leaves the structural institutions that are to blame for racial discrepancies fully intact.

What is "means-tested McKinsey bullshit" and why do you think it's to blame for "racial discrepancies"?

Iowa is a very conservative state.
Why do you say that Iowa is a very conservative state? Obama carried Iowa twice, as did Bill Clinton. Al Gore also won there. In addition, Obama won the 2008 primary and Sanders came within 0.25% of Hillary in 2016. That doesn't sound "very conservative" to me.

I wonder if this is some of republican fuckery that I spoke of earlier.
I doubt it. If it was fuckery, it'd be somebody like Tulsi. Mayor Pete is a mainstream Democrat, albeit an exceptionally young one.

Iowa is a very conservative state.
Why do you say that Iowa is a very conservative state? Obama carried Iowa twice, as did Bill Clinton. Al Gore also won there. In addition, Obama won the 2008 primary and Sanders came within 0.25% of Hillary in 2016. That doesn't sound "very conservative" to me.

I wonder if this is some of republican fuckery that I spoke of earlier.
I doubt it. If it was fuckery, it'd be somebody like Tulsi. Mayor Pete is a mainstream Democrat, albeit an exceptionally young one.

It's all here.

Only eleven out of 99 counties went blue for the governors race in 18.

The reason is competition for donors.

With more billionaires in the Dem party than one could poke a stick at, [including the sinister G Soros] the Dems need donors?

Buttigieg is leading the latest IA poll. Good, just in time for the next debate and for his time in the barrel.

Oh and the Dem Governor Edwards won reelection in LA.

Iowa is a very conservative state. I wonder if this is some of republican fuckery that I spoke of earlier.

I was thinking the exact opposite! Pete could dramatically move the moderates to the left.

Name one left-wing policy of Pete's.

It's all here.

Only eleven out of 99 counties went blue for the governors race in 18.
Iowa generally is purple overall. They went for Trump by 10 points which was close to Obama's win in '08, but otherwise, out of proportion in '00, '04, and '12.

With more billionaires in the Dem party than one could poke a stick at, [including the sinister G Soros] the Dems need donors?

Duh, yeah. So do Republicans, btw.

Trump is allegedly a billionaire and wanted money. Mitt Romney, pretty rich, wanted money.

...honesty, consistency, anti-imperialism, theory of change, grassroots support, incorruptibility...

Back
Top Bottom