• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

A psychic once swore black and blue that I would win lotto in the coming year. [1998] I'm still as broke as Iv'e always been! :)

Stop believing in psychics and do a better job of sucking up to the billionaire class.

Only if you stop sucking up to welfare cheats!

Amazon alone has sucked more money out of the fed in one year by paying zero tax than all "welfare cheats" combined have been able to "steal" in two decades.

Amazon alone has sucked more money out of the fed in one year by paying zero tax than all "welfare cheats" combined have been able to "steal" in two decades.

Unless Amazon is blatantly cheating on their taxes on a massive, widespread scale (which I doubt), they are only doing what the tax laws created by Congress allow. Don't you take advantage of every tax deduction/credit you are legally allowed to under the federal tax code? If you want blame someone about Amazon not paying any taxes, don't blame Amazon...blame the federal government.

Unless Amazon is blatantly cheating on their taxes on a massive, widespread scale (which I doubt), they are only doing what the tax laws created by Congress allow.

I know. It's a travesty.

Don't you take advantage of every tax deduction/credit you are legally allowed to under the federal tax code?

No.*

If you want blame someone about Amazon not paying any taxes, don't blame Amazon...blame the federal government.

I do. Beside the point. Welfare cheats are NOT the problem.

* In recent years, I've been in "tweener" situation, where paying lawyers and accountants to keep every possible penny out of the hands of the Fed would be a break-even or marginally profitable (for me) exercise. I prefer to pay my share instead of feeding the tax-avoidance machinery a lot, for little gain.

Even if that was true, which it isn't. Amazon employees pay taxes on salaries earned which if they had no jobs would more than likely be a burden on taxpayers instead! Besides, if Amazon, or any other corporation hasn't paid tax, it means they didn't make a profit in the financial year. But apart from that, shareholders in Amazon and any other large corporation's shareholders also pay tax on dividends received.

In 2017, Amazon paid close to $1 billion in income tax. In 2018, the amount jumped to $1.18 billion, accounting for local, state, and international taxes. Amazon pays plenty in terms of payroll taxes and also state and local taxes. Nor should you forget the taxes paid by Amazon's employees on their wages.Feb 22, 2019

It's a leftists strategy to point the finger at corporations such as Amazon to show the inequality of capitalism.

Last edited:
Unless Amazon is blatantly cheating on their taxes on a massive, widespread scale (which I doubt), they are only doing what the tax laws created by Congress allow.

I know. It's a travesty.

Don't you take advantage of every tax deduction/credit you are legally allowed to under the federal tax code?

No.*

If you want blame someone about Amazon not paying any taxes, don't blame Amazon...blame the federal government.

I do. Beside the point. Welfare cheats are NOT the problem.

* In recent years, I've been in "tweener" situation, where paying lawyers and accountants to keep every possible penny out of the hands of the Fed would be a break-even or marginally profitable (for me) exercise. I prefer to pay my share instead of feeding the tax-avoidance machinery a lot, for little gain.

On the contrary, welfare cheats, including those who can work but would rather bludge on the government, [ taxpayers] most probably cost anything up to a trillion USD over several years, at a minimum.

welfare cheats... most probably cost anything up to a trillion USD over several years, at a minimum.

"Most probably" according to someone 10,000 miles away who has demonstrated abysmal ignorance of all things related to American politics, society and economy? :hysterical:
Sorry - you'd have to provide a link from a credible source before your blather can even be considered.
OTOH - it's a known (and widely celebrated by trumpsuckers) fact that last year alone, Cheato handed out 1.5 trillion taxpayer dollars to his donors and the companies they control.
Welfare cheats are NOT "the problem".

If welfare cheats costed America a trillion dollars a year, I would have seen that story on FOX News, most probably with Lou Dobbs shitting himself an aneurysm.

welfare cheats... most probably cost anything up to a trillion USD over several years, at a minimum.
"Most probably" according to someone 10,000 miles away who has demonstrated abysmal ignorance of all things related to American politics, society and economy? :hysterical:
He seemingly can get Fox News in Australia, and that seems good enough for him.

He seemingly can get Fox News in Australia, and that seems good enough for him.

I think Angelo would have been the one person in the crowd welcoming Morrison into the brushfire zone. Angelo would have been patting him on the back saying, "Great job, Mate! Keep up the great work! How was the vacation?"

Another one bites the dust.

Julián Castro on Twitter: "It’s with profound gratitude to all of our supporters that I suspend my campaign for president today.
I’m so proud of everything we’ve accomplished together. I’m going to keep fighting for an America where everyone counts—I hope you’ll join me in that fight. https://t.co/jXQLJa3AdC" / Twitter

then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I’m really proud of @JulianCastro and his campaign.
He ran with true purpose and intentionality. His team uplifted important conversations and took on issues that most candidates shy away from.
At their best, campaigns can be acts of service. Julián’s campaign exemplified that. https://t.co/rhiFyRgiPf" / Twitter

In his campaign-farewell video, Julián Castro noted that the cops arrested Dylann Roof without hurting him, even after murdering 9 people. He stated that the cops ought to have done much better with Michael Brown and Tamir Rice and Aiyana Jones and Eric Garner and Laquan McDonald and Stephon Clark and Antonio Arce.

Ken Thomas on Twitter: ".@JulianCastro suspends his 2020 presidential bid. "With only a month until the Iowa caucuses, and given the circumstances of this campaign season, I have determined that it simply isn’t our time.”" / Twitter
So he doesn't think that he'll make much of a showing.

Adam Brewster on Twitter: "“I’m not done fighting. I’ll keep working towards a nation where everyone counts, a nation where everyone can get a good job, good health care and a decent place to live,” @JulianCastro says in a video announcing he’s suspending his campaign. https://t.co/9zueSSBGzy" / Twitter

Julián Castro Ends Presidential Campaign - The New York Times
Mr. Castro, the former housing secretary and mayor of San Antonio, was the only Latino candidate in the race. He championed progressive policies but did not find his footing in polls.

“I’m not done fighting," Mr. Castro continued, though he gave no indication of his immediate plans. “I’ll keep working towards a nation where everyone counts, a nation where everyone can get a good job, good health care and a decent place to live.”

He was outspoken when Senator Kamala Harris of California made a surprise exit from the race in early December, saying that “Kamala was treated very poorly” and had been “held to an unfair standard” by the media.

“The media’s flawed formula for ‘electability’ has pushed aside women and candidates of color,” he said that day on Twitter. “Our party’s diversity is our strength.”

For some, Ms. Harris’s departure bolstered the case Mr. Castro had been making about the primary system. On the day she announced she was dropping out, Mr. Castro had his best fund-raising day of the quarter.

Mr. Castro, a third-generation Mexican-American who has endured repeated scrutiny over his lack of Spanish fluency, ended his last campaign video with a message to supporters:

“Ganaremos un día!” The translation is offered only in the subtitles: “One day we’ll win!”

So Castro is out.
Booker says: "Here's the reality. It seems like billionaires with bottomless checkbooks have a clearer path to the nomination than talented, experienced, qualified candidates" like Castro.

Good comment. It should help put Bloomberg and to a lesser extent Steyer in a negative light.

So Castro is out.
Booker says: "Here's the reality. It seems like billionaires with bottomless checkbooks have a clearer path to the nomination than talented, experienced, qualified candidates" like Castro.

Good comment. It should help put Bloomberg and to a lesser extent Steyer in a negative light.
It would if Bloomberg and Steyer were polling well.

So Castro is out.

It would if Bloomberg and Steyer were polling well.

I don’t want Bloomberg pulling so much as a vote from any other candidate. At least Steyer has put in the time and has been burning cash since Trump has been in office. Everyone else is putting in the time and miles. Bloomberg wants to win the presidency while getting lunch and a massage.
*I must say, I rather resent his presence in the race.

*That’s me showing restraint.

Even if that was true, which it isn't. Amazon employees pay taxes on salaries earned which if they had no jobs would more than likely be a burden on taxpayers instead! Besides, if Amazon, or any other corporation hasn't paid tax, it means they didn't make a profit in the financial year. But apart from that, shareholders in Amazon and any other large corporation's shareholders also pay tax on dividends received.

In 2017, Amazon paid close to $1 billion in income tax. In 2018, the amount jumped to $1.18 billion, accounting for local, state, and international taxes. Amazon pays plenty in terms of payroll taxes and also state and local taxes. Nor should you forget the taxes paid by Amazon's employees on their wages.Feb 22, 2019

It's a leftists strategy to point the finger at corporations such as Amazon to show the inequality of capitalism.

Could you please provide a link to substantiate that claim. Exactly which taxes are you referring to, because Amazon paid 0, as in zero, zilch, in federal taxes in 2018.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-taxes-zero-180337770.html

While some people have received some surprise tax bills when filing their returns, corporations continue to avoid paying tax — thanks to a cocktail of tax credits, loopholes, and exemptions.

According to a report from the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), Amazon (AMZN) will pay nothing in federal income taxes for the second year in a row.

Thanks to the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), Amazon’s federal tax responsibility is 21% (down from 35% in previous years). But with the help of tax breaks, according to corporate filings, Amazon won’t be paying a dime to Uncle Sam despite posting more than $11.2 billion in profits in 2018.

Declining tax revenue has only widened deficits, as national debt has ballooned up and over $22 trillion.

So, Angelo, even if your claim is correct that Amazon mysteriously paid 1.8 billion in "income tax", that's a much lower tax rate than many middle class Americans pay. Plus, corporations like Amazon, who pay little or no federal taxes, are adding to the national debt. I know you don't live in the US, but in the past American conservatives actually claimed to care about the debt and deficit. Why do you think it's okay for a very large corporation like Amazon not to have to pay any federal taxes? Do you think it's right for the middle class to pay a higher percentage of federal taxes than a huge, successful corporation? Just asking.

Please don't make claims without backing them up with evidence because we have no idea if you're making up shit or telling the truth.

And spare me the claim about the payroll tax. The payroll tax is more like an employee benefit, since it's supposed to be used to support Social Security. Very few companies have private pensions anymore, so it's very important that companies help pay for the SS retirement benefits for their employees.

Please don't make claims without backing them up with evidence because we have no idea if you're making up shit or telling the truth.

Given his spotlessly consistent track record, it is safe to assume the former in all cases where no source is provided.

Could you please provide a link to substantiate that claim. Exactly which taxes are you referring to, because Amazon paid 0, as in zero, zilch, in federal taxes in 2018.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-taxes-zero-180337770.html

While some people have received some surprise tax bills when filing their returns, corporations continue to avoid paying tax — thanks to a cocktail of tax credits, loopholes, and exemptions.

According to a report from the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), Amazon (AMZN) will pay nothing in federal income taxes for the second year in a row.

Thanks to the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), Amazon’s federal tax responsibility is 21% (down from 35% in previous years). But with the help of tax breaks, according to corporate filings, Amazon won’t be paying a dime to Uncle Sam despite posting more than $11.2 billion in profits in 2018.

Declining tax revenue has only widened deficits, as national debt has ballooned up and over $22 trillion.

So, Angelo, even if your claim is correct that Amazon mysteriously paid 1.8 billion in "income tax", that's a much lower tax rate than many middle class Americans pay. Plus, corporations like Amazon, who pay little or no federal taxes, are adding to the national debt. I know you don't live in the US, but in the past American conservatives actually claimed to care about the debt and deficit. Why do you think it's okay for a very large corporation like Amazon not to have to pay any federal taxes? Do you think it's right for the middle class to pay a higher percentage of federal taxes than a huge, successful corporation? Just asking.

And spare me the claim about the payroll tax. The payroll tax is more like an employee benefit, since it's supposed to be used to support Social Security. Very few companies have private pensions anymore, so it's very important that companies help pay for the SS retirement benefits for their employees.

Amazon pays what it's entitled to pay in taxes. According to the below article, Amazon taxes were reduced to zero in 2018 due to deductions for NOL (net operating losses); depreciation; and employee stock options.

https://fortune.com/2019/03/01/amazon-federal-corporate-income-tax/

Back
Top Bottom