• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

Freethought Equality Fund
The mission of the Freethought Equality Fund (FEF) PAC is to change the face of American politics and to achieve equality by increasing the number of open humanists and atheists in public office at all levels of government. The FEF PAC is affiliated with the Center for Freethought Equality, which is the advocacy and political arm of the American Humanist Association.
Has a lot of endorsements of Federal and state legislature candidates.

Democratic Party embraces nonreligious voters at annual summer meeting - Secular Coalition for America (from last August) - DNC-Resolution-on-the-Nonreligious-Demographic.pdf

However, their page Do Presidential Candidates Share our Values? Archives - Secular Coalition for America is no longer accessible from the main page. I had to use the site's search feature. Its latest entry is still its July 26 one, its one about Tulsi Gabbard.

Christianity's future looks more like Lady Gaga than Mike Pence (opinion) - CNN -- seems to me like wishful thinking. But that seems to be a virtue in religion.

Another one bites the dust.

Marianne Williamson Drops Out of 2020 Race - The New York Times - "Ms. Williamson, a self-help author and spiritual adviser who ran for president, had viral debate moments but drew fire for her comments on science and medicine."

Her farewell message: With love and gratitude... | Marianne 2020

I stayed in the race to take advantage of every possible effort to share our message. With caucuses and primaries now about to begin, however, we will not be able to garner enough votes in the election to elevate our conversation any more than it is now. The primaries might be tightly contested among the top contenders, and I don’t want to get in the way of a progressive candidate winning any of them.

Presidential candidates, 2020 - Ballotpedia
RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

Who might be next? Deval Patrick? Michael Bennet? John Delaney? Cory Booker?

Over half a year before Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez recently opined that in any other country, she and Joe Biden would be in different political parties, this came out: Joe Biden Might as Well Be a Republican - May 08, 2019
At the outset of his Senate career, Biden lost no time appealing to racism and running interference for huge corporate interests. He went on to play a historic role in helping to move the Supreme Court rightward and serving such predatory businesses as credit card companies, big banks and hedge funds.

Biden’s role as vice president included a near-miss at cutting a deal with Republican leaders on Capitol Hill to slash Medicare and Social Security. While his record on labor and trade has been mediocre, Biden has enjoyed tight mutual alliances with moneyed elites.

The Progressive's Guide to Corporate-Democrat Speak
Pete Buttigieg’s recent use of the term “purity test” is a case in point. While the Midwestern mayor used it to describe criticism of big-donor fundraising, it has also been applied to policies such as Medicare for All and the Green New Deal. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez fired back a few days later. “For anyone who accuses us for instituting purity tests,” she said, “it’s called having values. It’s called giving a damn.”

The article then has a "Centrist's Dictionary". I'll condense the definitions here:

“Centrist” - someone who pushes a Republican-lite corporate-friendly agenda with a little bit of regulation and some social liberalism.

“Choice” (when applied to a public good) - a forced choice from "an array of semi-functional, overpriced private-sector products."

“Compete” (as in, “prepare workers of the future to compete”) - what workers must do in a Randian sort of economy, having to get a high-priced education so that they can get low-pay, low-benefit jobs.

“Free stuff” - dismissive label for public services.

“Friend of mine” (as in, “John McCain was a friend of mine”) - nostalgia for happier relations between the parties and unwilling to accept the nastiness of today's Republican Party.

“Health care consumers” - people who have to choose from "a bewildering array of inadequate private health options, based on future needs they can’t anticipate, as offered by private corporations that benefit financially by confusing them now and denying them medical care later." They can then be described as not "smart shoppers" when something goes wrong.

“I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on bold ideas” - not having any at all.

“I know how to get things done” - keep on doing what's been done, despite its failures.

“I will not raise taxes one penny on the middle class” - while letting businesses charge more while giving less.

“I’m pragmatic” - I don't think that we can do the sorts of big things that our nation has done in the past.

“Ideology” (as in, “I don’t believe in rigid adherence to any political ideology”) - having principles or core values.

“Jobs of the future” - long hours, low pay, menial-piecework jobs.

“Managed competition” - more like "managed confusion"

“New economy” - more like the Gilded Age all over again.

“Our country needs to balance its budget like a family sitting around the kitchen table” - ignorance of finance.

“Pipe dream” - a bold idea that I don't support.

“Privatization” - crony-capitalism giveaways and looting of public assets

“Public/private partnership” - public resources with private profit, especially in crony-capitalist fashion.

“Purity test” - a way of avoiding supporting something that many people like but one's donors don't.

“Reaching across the aisle” - wimping out to please one's donors.

“Realistic” (as in, “Your proposal (backed by a large majority of voters) isn’t realistic”) - a wimpout.

“Rich kids/Trump’s kids” (as in, “I don’t want to give free college to Donald Trump’s kids”) - trying to exploit soak-the-rich sentiment against public goods.

“Something we can get done” (as in, “The public option is something we can get done”) - hand-wringing wimpiness.

“Universal coverage” - inadequate medical insurance for everyone.

“You can be progressive and practical at the same time” - being neither. Like how the Holy Roman Empire was none of those things. It was a loose confederation that lasted nearly a thousand years.

Sanders is a bigot? You read the stupidest people.
Probably not a bigot himself, but he did surround himself with bigots like Linda Sarsour.

In other news, Sanders has been rebounding.
He still has no chance of actually winning the nomination. But at least he'll also prevent Warren from getting it.

Last edited:
This is what a sanders presidency my look like. And may your gods save America!

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...s-president-white-house-administration-084447

What Would the Bernie Presidency Really Look Like?
It could happen, really. Vice President Warren is being considered, and plans are in the works to de-Trumpify immigration and climate. Much less likely: Medicare for All.

In terms of style, they envision a government driven by impatience, one that sees itself with a mandate to confront climate change vigorously, to shore up the nation’s labor unions and defend its immigrant populations. Maybe there won’t really be “Medicare for All,” thanks to Mitch McConnell and a Republican Senate, but they at least see less expensive prescription drugs and health care for more people than currently have it.

Wow, that would be terrible.

:boohoo:

Marianne Williamson drops out of 2020 race | TheHill
However, Williamson often made it a point to combat descriptions of her as an unserious candidate.

“The establishment media sees me as a real threat to the status quo,” she told Hill.TV in July. “People are so invested in creating this false narrative about me as the ‘crystal lady,’ ‘wacky new-age nutcase.’ If you really think about it, I must be doing something right that they’re so scared."
Marianne Williamson Drops Out Of Presidential Race | HuffPost
Williamson pitched voters on six policy pillars “for a season of moral repair”: financial policy that opposed trickle-down economics; creating a U.S. Department of Children and Youth; mass mobilization to reverse climate change; creating a U.S. Department of Peace; investing in African American communities as reparations for slavery; and a “Whole Health Plan.”

Apart from an unsuccessful campaign for Congress in 2014, Williamson spent the bulk of her career in the self-help and personal growth space. She’s written 12 books, four of which were New York Times bestsellers, including the 1992 work “A Return To Love.”

Williamson has been called Oprah Winfrey’s “spiritual adviser” and appeared numerous times on the media mogul’s show.
Seems like she should have persisted in getting into Congress. For making issues visible, it has worked very well for a certain young woman from the Bronx.

Marianne Williamson drops out of 2020 race | TheHill
However, Williamson often made it a point to combat descriptions of her as an unserious candidate.

“The establishment media sees me as a real threat to the status quo,” she told Hill.TV in July. “People are so invested in creating this false narrative about me as the ‘crystal lady,’ ‘wacky new-age nutcase.’ If you really think about it, I must be doing something right that they’re so scared."
Marianne Williamson Drops Out Of Presidential Race | HuffPost
Williamson pitched voters on six policy pillars “for a season of moral repair”: financial policy that opposed trickle-down economics; creating a U.S. Department of Children and Youth; mass mobilization to reverse climate change; creating a U.S. Department of Peace; investing in African American communities as reparations for slavery; and a “Whole Health Plan.”

Apart from an unsuccessful campaign for Congress in 2014, Williamson spent the bulk of her career in the self-help and personal growth space. She’s written 12 books, four of which were New York Times bestsellers, including the 1992 work “A Return To Love.”

Williamson has been called Oprah Winfrey’s “spiritual adviser” and appeared numerous times on the media mogul’s show.
Seems like she should have persisted in getting into Congress. For making issues visible, it has worked very well for a certain young woman from the Bronx.

Sad to see Williamson go. She was a breath of fresh air.

I know. It's a travesty.

No.*

If you want blame someone about Amazon not paying any taxes, don't blame Amazon...blame the federal government.

I do. Beside the point. Welfare cheats are NOT the problem.

* In recent years, I've been in "tweener" situation, where paying lawyers and accountants to keep every possible penny out of the hands of the Fed would be a break-even or marginally profitable (for me) exercise. I prefer to pay my share instead of feeding the tax-avoidance machinery a lot, for little gain.

On the contrary, welfare cheats, including those who can work but would rather bludge on the government, [ taxpayers] most probably cost anything up to a trillion USD over several years, at a minimum.

I'd love to see your sources for your intel.

This is what a sanders presidency my look like. And may your gods save America!

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...s-president-white-house-administration-084447

What Would the Bernie Presidency Really Look Like?
It could happen, really. Vice President Warren is being considered, and plans are in the works to de-Trumpify immigration and climate. Much less likely: Medicare for All.

In terms of style, they envision a government driven by impatience, one that sees itself with a mandate to confront climate change vigorously, to shore up the nation’s labor unions and defend its immigrant populations. Maybe there won’t really be “Medicare for All,” thanks to Mitch McConnell and a Republican Senate, but they at least see less expensive prescription drugs and health care for more people than currently have it.

There's a huge price to pay for such reforms. Would you be willing to pay double or even triple the taxes you're paying right now? I somehow doubt it, unless you're already living off welfare payments, which of course excludes you as you already don't pay any taxes besides sales and consumer taxes.

On the contrary, welfare cheats, including those who can work but would rather bludge on the government, [ taxpayers] most probably cost anything up to a trillion USD over several years, at a minimum.

I'd love to see your sources for your intel.

Here..........................................Cost of Welfare Programs
The total cost of poverty assistance programs in America can add up to a shocking $1 trillion a year when combining both federal and state level program budgets. Because of the large total price tag on helping the poor, welfare programs are often an area of policy and budgetary debate.Dec 31, 2018
45 Important Welfare Statistics for 2019 - Lexington Law
https://www.lexingtonlaw.com › blog › finance › welfare-statistics

There's a huge price to pay for such reforms. Would you be willing to pay double or even triple the taxes you're paying right now? I somehow doubt it, unless you're already living off welfare payments, which of course excludes you as you already don't pay any taxes besides sales and consumer taxes.

I already live in a country with single payer health care. So do many here. We pay taxes. It isn't nearly as bad as American doomsayer prophesies. It's actually something few here would want to give up. It would be political suicide to run against here.

Back
Top Bottom