• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats 2020

Because he didn't market himself as a middle-of-the-road, status quo worshiping centrist when he was on the campaign trail. He was that, but that was not the basis of his campaign. And I think his ultimate betrayal of Progressive causes did hurt voter turnout in this election, and is a major problem for Biden, whose association with Obama is one of the definable qualities most Americans know about him.

I do agree that Abrams would be a sensible VP pick for Biden.

See, I NEVER saw Obama as a progressive candidate so I find it hard to feel betrayed by him. He was as progressive as the first black POTUS could dare to be, as sad a statement about the US as that is. We would never have elected a black progressive in 2008 or 2012. Probably not for another 20 years. I don't think we'll ever elect a woman in my lifetime unless it would be Nikki Haley, whom I expect to make a run for 2024.

I disagreed with Obama from time to time, sometimes sharply but I always recognized him as a centrist--or perhaps the word I always thought of: a pragmatist.

Likewise. I had somewhat low expectations going in, though I was dismayed by the degree to which he seemingly came to love the war games and extrajudicial killings now associated with the White House. And the pogrom of illegal immigrants. If liberals won't stand against these things, I don't know who will. I hate to agree with your thoughts on the electability of black Progressive candidates at this point, but you're not wrong.

Absolutely agree with everything that I found dismaying, although I am not so sure he actually loved the war games, etc. I think he felt he had no better choice--and perhaps he was trying to break out of his nice guy persona a bit. Democrats are often seen as being 'softer' and less willing to do the cold hard business of war. As well should we all be.

My husband and I disagree sharply re: drone killings. I deplore them but generally, they take fewer lives than conventional on the ground war tactics. Actually I out and out deplore war, period. He simply deplores them and thinks that we should be willing to risk our own soldiers.

Pacifism would make me a single-issue voter... if there were a pacifist party. Alas, that's not where we're at as a nation.
There's a little something called Duverger's law. It states that first-past-the-post leads to a two-party system, and that one needs proportional representation to have several viable parties. FPTP making 2 parties is from the spoiler effect.

Well, Biden's general strategy has been to try and recapture the magical blandness of Hillary 2016. Is Tim Kaine still available? What about John Edwards?

I like Amy Klobuchar, but she would be another Tim Kaine, wouldn't add anything to the ticket.

Well, Biden's general strategy has been to try and recapture the magical blandness of Hillary 2016. Is Tim Kaine still available? What about John Edwards?

I like Amy Klobuchar, but she would be another Tim Kaine, wouldn't add anything to the ticket.

I know! I know!

Joe Lieberman.

Then, they can do a double Joementum!

Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa block? Also a point or two among women plus added turnout.

You're right, I shouldn't say she adds nothing, but that it is not enough to pick her..

Joe Biden needs Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - on how she could help bridge the gap between him and some of his rival Bernie Sanders's constituencies, like young and Hispanic voters.
And what would she demand in return? Open borders/abolish ICE? $16T GND? Banning fracking? Selling Israel down the river?

"AOC for President" - 18,200 hits on Google
Constitutionally too young this go around, but would technically be old enough in 2024 or, if Biden wins and runs for reelection in 2024, in 2028. However, she is going to be too far left and too divisive. Could be a perennial candidate in the primaries if she so chooses though. She wishes she could become new Bernie, but would probably become new Kucinich.

"Ilhan Omar for President" - 7,070
She is not even eligible to run!

"Rashida Tlaib for President" - 2,760
She'd probably get 1 or two 2% in primary polls and withdraw well before the next primaries start.

Money does not grow on trees. Especially in the aftermath of the Coronavirus crisis, money will be even more scarce, and we will be even less able to afford her idiotic policies like banning fracking.

That is actually a good point. No point in having strong reduction targets for US and EU when these countries can move production to places like China that do not have any real reduction targets.

Yes, the truth matters. Here is more truth: a fracking ban would be idiotic. A giveaway to KSA, Venezuela and Russia.

I still like Warren for the spot, because Biden never organized a decent campaign organization.
Two Septuagenarians on the same ticket? Not going to fly, especially not now in the age of "Boomer Remover".

A lot of folks are tossing around names that have close to zero name recognition nationwide.
True. Especially Stacey Abrams is a baffling choice to me.

So, if I must give up on the most qualified candidate--Warren--
What is it with this "most qualified" hyperbole? Same was said about Hillary too.

I'll hedge my bet on Kamala Harris, who has impressed Biden a lot. She is extremely sharp and is compatible with Biden's centrism. I just think that he strength with African American voters is overestimated, and she won't do anything at all to appeal to Sanders voters other than be African American and female. Still, she is a skilled campaigner.
I think she would have to be #1 in the consideration since Biden committed to picking a woman. Most important advantage for her is that she could take over as president.

He has said he'll choose a woman as running mate. Let's hope it's someone with a big name.
What do you mean? Something like Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff? :D

I also see the wisdom of being...centrist, in a time like this. We need to win over some of the GOP and we won't do that with Sanders. Not just to elect a Democrat but to move the country away from the far right that the GOP has been tilting towards.
Indeed.

Centrist may not be exciting but it will be effective.
Joe might not seem exciting at first but then ...
ee1b81_2fa1969bc0294581bd258d54b9ade8e8~mv2.jpg

I don't know. Those do seem kind of bland. I just read a little about Hassan. She was the governor of a state which is mostly white and has a population of about 1.2 million.
I think this equation of white with "bland" is pretty racist.

Stacey was the minority leader in the Georgia Congress.
Georgia House. Btw, we don't call the legislature Congress, but rather General Assembly.
And so what? Has she had any accomplishments during that time? Besides, she only ran in districts so safe that they were uncontested.
She is definitely not seasoned enough for prime time.

We have over 8 million people in Georgia.
Over 10 million. COVID hasn't been that bad yet. :)

To me, that experience is just a relevant as being governor of a small state.
Nonsense. Governorship is a much more consequential position with real responsibility.

Plus Georgia has a minority population of almost 40 percent. I think that's very important since the base of the Democratic Party is made up of a large percentage of minority voters.
But now is not the Democratic primary where the demographics of the Democratic party matters. Now is the general election. And most of the swing states are much more white than Georgia. Except Florida, but what evidence do we have that Abrams would help with Florida hispanics? And unlike Georgia, NH is a real swing state, even if they have few EC votes.

If not now, hopefully one day she will be in a powerful leadership position.
She really should have ran for Senate this year. A missed opportunity. If she isn't selected as Veep (very likely) she needs to build her resume.

Of course, we are playing pundit again, and I will vote for Biden regardless of who he chooses for VP. I just have a preference for a woman who is a minority and has some leadership experience in a very diverse state.
I want to see somebody more experienced. Somebody who can credibly take over should Biden become incapacitated. He is 78 years old at Inauguration so that is something to consider even without Corona.

And what would she demand in return? Open borders/abolish ICE? $16T GND? Banning fracking? Selling Israel down the river?
A platform much like Bernie Sanders's platform: Bernie Sanders on the issues It's a big document, and I think that she might want Medicare for All, or at least a public option. Also a Green New Deal.

Constitutionally too young this go around, but would technically be old enough in 2024 or, if Biden wins and runs for reelection in 2024, in 2028. However, she is going to be too far left and too divisive. Could be a perennial candidate in the primaries if she so chooses though. She wishes she could become new Bernie, but would probably become new Kucinich.
I think that she'll stay in the House. Too much headache to run for anything else. AOC seems like a do-gooder at heart, and not someone who craves having positions for the sake of having those positions.

But when it comes to military adventures, it's like "Let's go into our grove of money trees and pick some money to finance them."

You're right, I shouldn't say she adds nothing, but that it is not enough to pick her..

Agreed. Kamala Harris seems like a reasonable pick. Her only real downside is she reps CA which gains the Dems 0 EVs from a geographical standpoint.

Rachel Maddow is just now reporting that Biden is the projected winner in Washington st.

Back
Top Bottom