• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

DeSantis signs bill requiring FL students, professors to register political views with state

In large parts of the US, it is risky to even express leftist points of view.
This. The far right doesn't fear showing itself in leftist areas. The left fears showing itself in far right areas.
Are you aware of the asymmetry you baked into that sentence?

You compared the far right going into leftist areas but the left going into far right areas.

And I've seen what the far left is willing to do at protests.
I have seen nothing like the January 6 insurrection from the left.
No, there were no riots over the death of George Floyd. Fiery but mostly peaceful.

The protestors over Floyd were not trying to overturn an election

This. The far right doesn't fear showing itself in leftist areas. The left fears showing itself in far right areas.

You compared the far right going into leftist areas but the left going into far right areas.

No, there were no riots over the death of George Floyd. Fiery but mostly peaceful.
Does one have to be on the left to protest Floyd's murder?

Nope, but in order to protest Floyd's murder, you have to accept him as your savior apparently. :rolleyes:

No. Are you suggesting that the majority of people protesting were conservatives and other people on the right?

No. Are you suggesting that the majority of people protesting were conservatives and other people on the right?
I know several black Trump supporters who were incensed at the murder of Floyd. Do you think they don't exist?

I know several black Trump supporters who were incensed at the murder of Floyd. Do you think they don't exist?
I already said 'no', you don't have to be on the left to have protested the murder of Floyd. I asked a counter question, which nobody has answered.

Trump called what happened to Floyd a disgrace. I'm of the opinion that many conservatives agree that Chauvin was wrong for what he did. They just get all uppity because they perceive (like Trump) that everyone on the left thinks every police officer is a "disgrace".

It is like if you can twist a statement and respond out of context, you get a pellet fed to you.

Why are so many right wingers a CWOT?
Does some native love of authoritarianism do that to them, or does conservotardation mold them into the unresponsive, dishonest brokers in conversation that we see here?
Guys, I really don't need more evidence that people on the left, when they are in a majority, can create a hostile environment for anybody who dares disagree with them.
Would you deny that people on the Right, when they are in the majority, and frequently, even when they are not, create a hostile environment for anyone who dares to disagree with them?
No, I wouldn't deny it. I am pointing out that the left heavily outweighs the right in US academia, and that when a certain view is orthodoxy, it can create a hostile environment for people with unorthodox views.

That Florida is actively trying to create such an environment?
I deny that Florida is actively trying to create a right-wing orthodoxy in Florida universities nor could the legislation in question achieve that.
Why do you think that Florida isn't actively trying to create a right wing orthodoxy in Florida universities?

Trump called what happened to Floyd a disgrace. I'm of the opinion that many conservatives agree that Chauvin was wrong for what he did. They just get all uppity because they perceive (like Trump) that everyone on the left thinks every police officer is a "disgrace".
I had not realized that Trump called Floyd's death a disgrace. I just watched a video and while it is apparent that Trump did not write the speech before him, it is also apparent that he was sincere in the sentiments he expressed. I detest Trump but at least there was one time when he was not a complete ass.

It is like if you can twist a statement and respond out of context, you get a pellet fed to you.

Does some native love of authoritarianism do that to them, or does conservotardation mold them into the unresponsive, dishonest brokers in conversation that we see here?
Guys, I really don't need more evidence that people on the left, when they are in a majority, can create a hostile environment for anybody who dares disagree with them.
Would you deny that people on the Right, when they are in the majority, and frequently, even when they are not, create a hostile environment for anyone who dares to disagree with them?
No, I wouldn't deny it. I am pointing out that the left heavily outweighs the right in US academia, and that when a certain view is orthodoxy, it can create a hostile environment for people with unorthodox views.

I deny that Florida is actively trying to create a right-wing orthodoxy in Florida universities nor could the legislation in question achieve that.
Why do you think that Florida isn't actively trying to create a right wing orthodoxy in Florida universities?
What a bizarre statement. I deny it because I see no evidence for it.

It was indeed the far left that capitalised on Floyd's death to amplify their 'defund/abolish the police' rhetoric. And it is indeed the far left that also thinks we should abolish prisons. (The far left has some extremely ludicrous, destructive, pernicious, insane ideas).

I can also say from personal experience that every single time I've seen ACAB in a bio (not a gender designation at birth but 'all cops are bastards'), it has come from a leftist.

So even though I hardly imagine it was only leftists protesting Floyd's death, the repeated anti-police riots around it were almost certainly coming from actors on the left.

It was a question, not a statement. I didn't understand your reasoning, which is why I asked WHY you think that Fl isn't actively trying to create a right wing orthodox in FL universities.

What would constitute evidence for you that FL is actively trying to create a right wing orthodox in FL universities?

Also, this is a nitpick about language usage. The only reason I'm pointing this out is because I think that some of your word choices unnecessarily inflame discussion and lead to misunderstandings. It might simply be a case of different usages on different sides of the pond but: When you say you DENY it, it sounds as though you refuse to see it, rather than you DISAGREE.

In the US, most people would use the word DISAGREE rather than DENY. Of course, you're there and I'm here and it can simply be a difference in colloquial usage of words.

Example: I DENY that I took your sandwich. VS I DISAGREE with the conclusions of the study because there isn't sufficient evidence.

It was a question, not a statement. I didn't understand your reasoning, which is why I asked WHY you think that Fl isn't actively trying to create a right wing orthodox in FL universities.

What would constitute evidence for you that FL is actively trying to create a right wing orthodox in FL universities?
I don't know. The government instituting a ban on hiring registered Democrats, or instituting a ban on hiring anyone who had ever written for Jacobin, or restricting shortlists to only people with proven right-wing views? I mean, what you are suggesting is insanity so I don't know how to answer you except with obviously fanciful events.

Also, this is a nitpick about language usage. The only reason I'm pointing this out is because I think that some of your word choices unnecessarily inflame discussion and lead to misunderstandings. It might simply be a case of different usages on different sides of the pond but: When you say you DENY it, it sounds as though you refuse to see it, rather than you DISAGREE.

In the US, most people would use the word DISAGREE rather than DENY. Of course, you're there and I'm here and it can simply be a difference in colloquial usage of words.

Example: I DENY that I took your sandwich. VS I DISAGREE with the conclusions of the study because there isn't sufficient evidence.
I used the word 'deny' because lostone used it to pose questions to me, and mirroring the response is the easiest thing to do.

I disagree that 'DENY' implies only a dishonest and stubborn refusal.
deny verb
de·ny | \ di-ˈnī
, dē- \
denied; denying; denies
Definition of deny

transitive verb
1 : to declare (something) to be untrue They denied the allegations.
2 : to refuse to admit or acknowledge (something) : disavow denied responsibility for the vandalism
3a : to give a negative answer to denying the petitioners
b : to refuse to grant deny a request was denied a refund
c : to restrain (oneself) from gratification of desires unwilling to deny himself the foods that he loves
4 : to refuse to accept the existence, truth, or validity of There's no denying her expertise. You can't deny that he's a good singer.

So if you think my use of the word 'deny' "inflames" users, bring it up with lostone.

If it helps, I also disagree that Florida is trying to create a right-wing orthodoxy in public universities in its State.

It was indeed the far left that capitalised on Floyd's death to amplify their 'defund/abolish the police' rhetoric. And it is indeed the far left that also thinks we should abolish prisons. (The far left has some extremely ludicrous, destructive, pernicious, insane ideas).

I can also say from personal experience that every single time I've seen ACAB in a bio (not a gender designation at birth but 'all cops are bastards'), it has come from a leftist.

So even though I hardly imagine it was only leftists protesting Floyd's death, the repeated anti-police riots around it were almost certainly coming from actors on the left.

I agree. I haven't heard anyone on the right make those statements. But again, not everyone on the left is in that bucket.

We haven't seen the far left kill anyone at a protest.

You forget they count it as a political killing by a far leftist every time a murder happens near a BLM protest or an occupied city block.

You did not respond about the asymmetry you used in your above statement.

Back
Top Bottom