• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Die Dilbert Die

$20 says Adams will host a FOX News "comedy" show in 6 months. Gutfield is going to be pissed.

• Roll Eyes
Reactions: SLD
The good news is that many of scott adams' revenue streams have cancelled his Dilbert strip.
Scott Adams can continue to write his Dilbert strip for as long and as often as he pleases. Only he can cancel it. He’s just finding it difficult to get paid for it.

The reason I care about Scott Adams' opinion is that I really admired it when he expressed it through his Dilbert cartoons. I worked in industry for a long time, so his satire was always spot on. It was a real disappointment to me when he started falling for the MAGA bullshit, because he was so good at seeing through big company bullshit. This latest nosedive into the racist cesspool is painful to watch. It is like watching a genius fall victim to dementia.

It was that creators can have wacky and even distasteful political and other opinions, and their creations can still be enjoyable. Not sure if Dilbert quite makes it to the level of Star Trek, but I do recall it was a popular comic strip in its time, maybe because it captured the early tech bubble vibe.

If you look at the comic I posted, you may get a feel for it. It's the same underlying type of thing as Office Space, though the execution of humor is different. You can see the sales exec/guy is clueless and over-promises, but his client contact is also hopeless, probably a manager.
I know the comic strip but haven't bothered to read it for years. But I recall that it was big on the internet, when the internet was still new. That's how I first found out about it anyway. So it was channeling the right themes at the right time in the right medium.

I know the comic strip but haven't bothered to read it for years. But I recall that it was big on the internet, when the internet was still new. That's how I first found out about it anyway. So it was channeling the right themes at the right time in the right medium.
I call it Bill Maher Syndrome. That feeling celebrities have when they are becoming irrelevant so say something cuntish in order to get attention. Rosanne Barr and Kanye West are examples of this also.

It was that creators can have wacky and even distasteful political and other opinions, and their creations can still be enjoyable. Not sure if Dilbert quite makes it to the level of Star Trek, but I do recall it was a popular comic strip in its time, maybe because it captured the early tech bubble vibe.

If you look at the comic I posted, you may get a feel for it. It's the same underlying type of thing as Office Space, though the execution of humor is different. You can see the sales exec/guy is clueless and over-promises, but his client contact is also hopeless, probably a manager.
It was great. Still is... I mean what was still is. Quality comic. And he managed to keep it great for a very long time. That isn't easy. Many comics came and went, like Over the Hedge and Get Fuzzy, though Get Fuzzy is probably the best ever.

I know the comic strip but haven't bothered to read it for years. But I recall that it was big on the internet, when the internet was still new.
I had trouble getting into it at first. I'd never even visited that corporate world. My dad laughed his butt off. He was close to retirement age and had spent his whole career in that world.
Tom

Apparently his super hot wife left him recently.

He just had interview with Hotep Jesus who has some strange ideas about history

at 26 minutes he talks about it

I think it's worth watching him try to defend himself.

WashPo article (gifted) on Adams, his rise, then subsequent fall. I really don't read comics much longer and didn't realize that his politics did seep into the comic.
article said:
Adams tells The Post that his remarks that day were intended to be hyperbole, while also contending that he was responding to a larger sociopolitical narrative. He does not apologize for what he said in the episode — viewed more than 360,000 times — though he asserts that he disavows racism. Meanwhile, on a follow-up “Real Coffee” podcast, he called both White people and the press “hate groups.”
There are a number of issues here.

Firstly, the underlying premise is just ignorant... not his apparent bigotry, but that I think he believes that the blacks were being bigoted when they disagreed to the racist trope "It's okay to be white". Much like how alt-righters were incapable of understanding that Black Lives Matter didn't mean Only Black Lives Matter. So he already starts off with an awful foundation as he doesn't even get what the problem was.

Second, he wasn't funny or writing satire of any level of decent quality. He says he was "shaking the box", but when one tries to "shake the box", one must do it well. The more controversial the subject, the better the presentation must be. Instead, he just rails on identity politics, a term the alt-right pretty much invented and is the "PC" of the current day and age, just to criticize courtesy and awareness.

Thirdly... oi the mocking. "Identify"... I'm not aware of any other term that bothers alt-righters more than "identify". Some very small percentage of people are coming out as transgender (note "coming out", they were always there) and this thing that they are doing, which is risky and dangerous, is being mocked. People that don't know them are openly ridiculing just how dumb those people are because they aren't like the alt-right. Presenting many reasons why transgenders hid in the first place.

WashPo article (gifted) on Adams, his rise, then subsequent fall. I really don't read comics much longer and didn't realize that his politics did seep into the comic.
article said:
Adams tells The Post that his remarks that day were intended to be hyperbole, while also contending that he was responding to a larger sociopolitical narrative. He does not apologize for what he said in the episode — viewed more than 360,000 times — though he asserts that he disavows racism. Meanwhile, on a follow-up “Real Coffee” podcast, he called both White people and the press “hate groups.”

Firstly, the underlying premise is just ignorant... not his apparent bigotry, but that I think he believes that the blacks were being bigoted when they disagreed to the racist trope "It's okay to be white". Much like how alt-righters were incapable of understanding that Black Lives Matter didn't mean Only Black Lives Matter. So he already starts off with an awful foundation as he doesn't even get what the problem was.

Second, he wasn't funny or writing satire of any level of decent quality. He says he was "shaking the box", but when one tries to "shake the box", one must do it well. The more controversial the subject, the better the presentation must be. Instead, he just rails on identity politics, a term the alt-right pretty much invented and is the "PC" of the current day and age, just to criticize courtesy and awareness.

Thirdly... oi the mocking. "Identify"... I'm not aware of any other term that bothers alt-righters more than "identify". Some very small percentage of people are coming out as transgender (note "coming out", they were always there) and this thing that they are doing, which is risky and dangerous, is being mocked. People that don't know them are openly ridiculing just how dumb those people are because they aren't like the alt-right. Presenting many reasons why transgenders hid in the first place.
Adams is attempting to get the blacks and conservatives to see each other and join forces against the white elites who wish to remain ultra rich. He believes there are common goals such as education needs better for blacks by getting rid of unions and that all cops need to wear cams. Both common goals for blacks and conservatives. Adams does believe there is systemic racism that needs to be fixed. But in the meantime's offers good alternatives for anyone (black or white) to make themselves extremely attractive to corporations and high paying employment.

Also according to Adams, this was the only way for the public to see this message. It blew up further than he thought it would but now he is going to move on with his new opportunities. When you consider how ultra elites control the democrats, are monopolized, powerful, and controlling the media narrative, I can see where Adams is coming from.

Biggest takeaway is that rather than poor whites and blacks fighting with each other, all poor should be solidarity against the ultra elites controlling everything including most unfortunately the media. I've been saying this myself for a very for a long time. What Adams actually says here:

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, Adams is extremely intelligent and educated. Post secondary education and high school valedictorian.

article said:

Adams is attempting to get the blacks and conservatives to see each other and join forces against the white elites who wish to remain ultra rich. He believes there are common goals such as education needs better for blacks by getting rid of unions and that all cops need to wear cams. Both common goals for blacks and conservatives. Adams does believe there is systemic racism that needs to be fixed. But in the meantime's offers good alternatives for anyone (black or white) to make themselves extremely attractive to corporations and high paying employment.

Also according to Adams, this was the only way for the public to see this message. It blew up further than he thought it would but now he is going to move on with his new opportunities. When you consider how ultra elites control the democrats, are monopolized, powerful, and controlling the media narrative, I can see where Adams is coming from.

Biggest takeaway is that rather than poor whites and blacks fighting with each other, all poor should be solidarity against the ultra elites controlling everything including most unfortunately the media. I've been saying this myself for a very for a long time. What Adams actually says here:
So calling blacks a "hate group" because he didn't understand a poll was actually meant to help push a Marxist narrative of the poor people uniting... but not with unions.... don't want the poor to consolidate too much power. And yes, one must wonder about those "ultra elites" that control the Democrats. As if the "ultra elites" don't have a conservative among them like the Kochs.
BTW, in case anyone was wondering, Adams is extremely intelligent and educated. Post secondary education and high school valedictorian.
So was Ted Kaczynski. Wasn't valedictorian in High School, mainly because he was in Harvard by 15.

Adams is attempting to get the blacks and conservatives to see each other and join forces against the white elites who wish to remain ultra rich.

wut?

It's like you and Dilbert live in a fantasy parallel Universe.

Back
Top Bottom