• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Die Dilbert Die

I saw a couple superficial articles on this. News is often superficial and sensationalist. Remember murder hornets?

Here is the video:

Here is Rasmussen:

Here is some history of the statement:

Rasmussen is notorious as pro-conservative bias in results.

The question comes across as loaded, like All Lives Matter. Personally, I'd answer yes, but I think the message behind the message is distracting.

Apparently his super hot wife left him recently.

He just had interview with Hotep Jesus who has some strange ideas about history

at 26 minutes he talks about it

The question comes across as loaded, like All Lives Matter. Personally, I'd answer yes, but I think the message behind the message is distracting.
Yup. “Black people can be racist, too.”
WTF is up with the “too”? They should first ask if the respondents agree with “People can be racist.”
As asked it’s a racist fucking question, like there’s some reason why black people might be incapable of racism. I’d love to ask some follow up questions of the 21% who seem to think that.

Yup. “Black people can be racist, too.”
WTF is up with the “too”? They should first ask if the respondents agree with “People can be racist.”
As asked it’s a racist fucking question, like there’s some reason why black people might be incapable of racism. I’d love to ask some follow up questions of the 21% who seem to think that.

I was wondering if there were follow-ups for both questions. Like, "what are your reasons for answering the way you did" and/or "what is your opinion of white people?" but maybe broken down into some categories over multiple questions. I was also wondering what the numbers were of demographic breakdowns. What if the Blacks in the poll were only 20% of respondents...so like 200 people? That isn't a lot at all to make claims about the general population. Behind the scenes, Rasmussen used some company called Pulse which also seems to be low quality and the same company that Elon Musk used to try to "prove" Twitter was biased against him. So it's a little suspect. There is an option to get platinum access on the rasmussen website. No idea if it costs money and if any additional answers could be gleaned from that.

Neo-fascist kookiness only accelerates over time.

I liked Dilbert comics, but I haven't seen the newest stuff. I read that it started getting political and I interpreted some of that as weird, right turn. From reviewing his Wikipedia entry, I think he became infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome at a very low level in 2016. He was believing propaganda about Hillary Clinton being sick. Then, his TDS slowly got worse over time. Some of it is self-inflicted wounds because they start to say outrageous things and then see themselves as victims because people don't want to associate with them. So, for example, he was probably beginning to rant around 2016 and his friends just didn't want to listen to his political rants, so reduced time with him. He then claims 75% of his friends went away and begins a path of white victimhood mentality. Then he adds some anti-LGBT stuff and whatever else to his new show and people don't like it. So, he says that he was canceled to show minorities' shows at UPN instead. Scott Adams is pretty much a privileged victim of Republican propaganda. I think it is a real shame because he had some talent, but it's not like he has no options left. He will be a poster boy for a bit, he can market more hard right turn comics in conservative media, perhaps get a job as communications or some other role in campaigns for Paul Gosar or Donald Trump. It is very, very unfortunate, but I don't think it is possible at this point to extract him from the bubble and perform a rational rescue.

Neo-fascist kookiness only accelerates over time.

I liked Dilbert comics, but I haven't seen the newest stuff. I read that it started getting political and I interpreted some of that as weird, right turn. From reviewing his Wikipedia entry, I think he became infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome at a very low level in 2016. He was believing propaganda about Hillary Clinton being sick. Then, his TDS slowly got worse over time. Some of it is self-inflicted wounds because they start to say outrageous things and then see themselves as victims because people don't want to associate with them. So, for example, he was probably beginning to rant around 2016 and his friends just didn't want to listen to his political rants, so reduced time with him. He then claims 75% of his friends went away and begins a path of white victimhood mentality. Then he adds some anti-LGBT stuff and whatever else to his new show and people don't like it. So, he says that he was canceled to show minorities' shows at UPN instead. Scott Adams is pretty much a privileged victim of Republican propaganda. I think it is a real shame because he had some talent, but it's not like he has no options left. He will be a poster boy for a bit, he can market more hard right turn comics in conservative media, perhaps get a job as communications or some other role in campaigns for Paul Gosar or Donald Trump. It is very, very unfortunate, but I don't think it is possible at this point to extract him from the bubble and perform a rational rescue.
Yeah, it always seems to snowball. Entertainers and artists are especially susceptible, because pleasing people is their business, and they don't always respond well to becoming (especially if accidentally) controversial.

The particular comments start around 14 min

Basically, he uses a race-baiting poll as an excuse to self segregate from black people.

You see this a LOT in 'race realism' arguments, "Black people are fine, I just don't want anything to do with them"... at least until they start acting like white people. Of course that work so well in the past and there will not be any goal-post shifting or double standards.

I am not one to call people racist, but this idiot really screwed himself with all the but the racists.

Last edited:
To me, Dilbert was an ok comic strip, kinda like Cathy. Amusing, sometimes very insightful. Way better than Garfield. But no Calvin and Hobbes or Bloom County.

What I don't get is why people care about the personal opinions of people like Adams.
Or Rowling,
Or West

Why does anyone care about stuff like that?
Tom

To me, Dilbert was an ok comic strip, kinda like Cathy. Amusing, sometimes very insightful. Way better than Garfield. But no Calvin and Hobbes or Bloom County.

What I don't get is why people care about the personal opinions of people like Adams.
Or Rowling,
Or West

Tom
Search me.

The insistence on giving credence to the opinions of entertainers and sportsmen, to the exclusion of actual experts in a given field who have spent their lives in study, is a bizarre but astonishingly persistent human trait.

When I want advice on how to draw a comic strip, or how to get it published in major newspapers, I might perhaps list Scott Adams amongst the people to go to for his opinions.

Why anyone who isn't a friend or family member of his would give two shits about his opinion on any other topic, I couldn't say.

There seems to be a cognitive short circuit in the human brain that goes "I have heard of this person, therefore he must know a useful amount about absolutely everything!"

To anyone who thinks that fame is in any way correlated to skill, knowledge, understanding, or ability, I have just two words to say in rebuttal: "Kanye West".

Or Rowling,
Or West

Tom
Re: Rowling. She seems to have made a point about expressing her opinions about trans sexuals through various media, especially twitter.

I understand that there comes a time in some careers when the public persona of that individual taints their body of work sufficiently that it is difficult to separate their more vile opinions from their talent or their work. Sometimes because they insist on displaying their offensive views.

I liked Scott Adam's and loved Dilbert. Trouble with comics is that it is tough to keep things fresh. So stuff gets stale after a long while. Adam's did very well.

Adams himself has gotten into trouble online. He went as far as getting caught posting defenses of himself as another user. As a result, I started to move away from caring about his outside thoughts, which weren't in the political sphere. It isn't shocking that he went MAGA, disappointing but not a shock.

Should his comic be removed because he is apparently a racist asshat? Along as the race shit isn't in the comics, I'd say no. Should the free market media companies be forced to carry him?

I understand that there comes a time in some careers when the public persona of that individual taints their body of work sufficiently that it is difficult to separate their more vile opinions from their talent or their work.
I see no reason to find it difficult to separate the work from the unrelated personal opinions.

I remember when the Dixie Chicks got hammered for expressing their more vile opinions.

A bunch of redneck snowflakes totally got their panties in a wad. It was a hoot to watch.
Was I wrong to laugh and point at the dumbasses?
Tom

I understand that there comes a time in some careers when the public persona of that individual taints their body of work sufficiently that it is difficult to separate their more vile opinions from their talent or their work.
I see no reason to find it difficult to separate the work from the unrelated personal opinions.

I remember when the Dixie Chicks got hammered for expressing their more vile opinions.

A bunch of redneck snowflakes totally got their panties in a wad. It was a hoot to watch.
Tom
I was a country DJ at the time and probably woulda got axed for my comments, except I was also the production manager for 3 stations. It was fun, once I realized that I had the tacit approval of the general manager.

Tom
I cannot recall a single vile opinion expressed by the Dixie Chicks.

I really liked and admire the work of Michael Jackson but it's hard to enjoy it after the revelations of his behavior towards children.
Same thing with Bill Cosby.

I liked the book Ender's Game and read the entire series but started to become....disillusioned with the author in later books. Reading other of his work, I stopped reading any of it. I did not need any interview or tweet from him to dislike his POV.

Pretty sure that was a facetious characterization. I remember them taking a stand that they knew would piss off a lot of the people who buttered their bread. Very courageous.

No one is required to support any artist either financially or otherwise. If newspapers do not want to pay any asshat of any type, they should not.

The Dixie Chicks upset some people with their opposition to the Iraq war and their comment they were ashamed Dubya was from Texas.

Pretty sure that was a facetious characterization. I remember them taking a stand that they knew would piss off a lot of the people who buttered their bread. Very courageous.
I don't think it was facetious. But apologies if it was.

I am not much of a fan of Country Western music and haven't listened to much since I left home where it played on the family radio all the time. I do still like at least some of the music of Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton, whom I admire greatly for the person she at least seems to be and her generosity and some others. There are still CW songs from my childhood that play through my brain on occasion, bringing up memories of especially my father. I almost took up the Dixie Chicks, now The Chicks because of the controversy. I just find that it's harder to acquire new music tastes and performers later in life. At least in part because I live in a narrow river valley and don't get a lot of radio signals here.....What I pick up new tends to be from my kids.

Back
Top Bottom