• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Does The Soul Survive After Death?

1Heidegger1!

Basic Beliefs
Theoretical Agnostic / Pragmatic Atheist
For anyone interested in this topic on soul survival, our resident expert Keith Augustine has posted part 1 of a 3 part guest series of blogs over at Secular Frontier. Check it out and be sure to leave Keith a question or comment!

That's a good question. Was it backed up before the system when kaput?

The soul of my operating system will certainly live somewhere on the many hard drives of Microsoft developers, even when the rest of it is dust, to be born again on a new CPU and hard drive.

The soul of my computer is a bit of a harder ask...

If I had it backed up on an external drive set, I could wake it back up on my husband's computer.

The problem is that without liquid nitrogen, a very sharp diamond edged blade, injections of freezing cold water, draining all the blood, decapitating, disassembling the whole skull 5-micron-layer-at-a-time, and putting every last layer through destructive scan with regular samples of interstitial fluid chemical concentrations to ascertain nerve activation state and chemical environment, there's no chance of actually recording a backup of a human soul.

And that's just the work to to get it completely down on paper.

Getting it back into a body would require mapping all the tensors and tensor states to a MASSIVE pile of FPGAs, and connecting input systems which provide the same SDRs as the original input channels.

And that's not even going to get you into a meat suit, it'll only get you into a host made out of modified sand.

Oh... and abstracting the majority of endogenous chemical signals from "distant" systems such as the guts and the gonadal hormone contributors and the pituitary...

That's a good question. Was it backed up before the system when kaput?

The soul of my operating system will certainly live somewhere on the many hard drives of Microsoft developers, even when the rest of it is dust, to be born again on a new CPU and hard drive.

The soul of my computer is a bit of a harder ask...

If I had it backed up on an external drive set, I could wake it back up on my husband's computer.

The problem is that without liquid nitrogen, a very sharp diamond edged blade, injections of freezing cold water, draining all the blood, decapitating, disassembling the whole skull 5-micron-layer-at-a-time, and putting every last layer through destructive scan with regular samples of interstitial fluid chemical concentrations to ascertain nerve activation state and chemical environment, there's no chance of actually recording a backup of a human soul.

And that's just the work to to get it completely down on paper.

Getting it back into a body would require mapping all the tensors and tensor states to a MASSIVE pile of FPGAs, and connecting input systems which provide the same SDRs as the original input channels.

And that's not even going to get you into a meat suit, it'll only get you into a host made out of modified sand.

Oh... and abstracting the majority of endogenous chemical signals from "distant" systems such as the guts and the gonadal hormone contributors and the pituitary...

Looks like physical disassembly just became less necessary...

(With this tech we can probably get away with just disassembling a few and applying the chemical models from those to nondestructive scans like these).

Does the Tooth Fairy steal the coins she leaves for children from vending machines? For anyone interested in this topic on the Tooth Fairy, our resident expert (me) has posted part 1 of a 3 part guest series of blogs over at Pulled Out Of My Own Ass.com. Check it out and be sure to leave me a question or comment!

Does the Tooth Fairy steal the coins she leaves for children from vending machines? For anyone interested in this topic on the Tooth Fairy, our resident expert (me) has posted part 1 of a 3 part guest series of blogs over at Pulled Out Of My Own Ass.com. Check it out and be sure to leave me a question or comment!
I would be interested in exploring this question: Does Santa appreciate it when you leave milk and cookies out for him on Christmas Eve?

For anyone interested in this topic on soul survival, our resident expert…

???
There are EXPERTS on that? Like professional Bigfoot hunters or that “I‘m not saying it’s aliens” guy? How does one become an expert? Years of diligent research, observations and falsification of competing hypotheses?
Or does the simple declaration “I am an expert!” do the trick?

For anyone interested in this topic on soul survival, our resident expert…

???
There are EXPERTS on that? Like professional Bigfoot hunters or that “I‘m not saying it’s aliens” guy? How does one become an expert? Years of diligent research, observations and falsification of competing hypotheses?
Or does the simple declaration “I am an expert!” do the trick?
I thought we are told that experts are merely indoctrinated shills and we shouldn't listen to them or give any credence to any so-called "expertise". :huh:

I really need to get into this stuff, there is money to be made.

Quantum Mechanics Proves The Soul Exists
By Steve Bank

Available at a bookstore near you.

By Steve Bank

Being that we are 'consciously aware, intelligent entities' - one could consider we exist as souls. Broken down to the base fundamentals. Are we particles or waves, or both?

Anyway .. I'd buy your book Steve, but I'd ask you to kindly sign it. 🙂👍

By Steve Bank

Being that we are 'consciously aware, intelligent entities' - one could consider we exist as souls. Broken down to the base fundamentals. Are we particles or waves, or both?

Anyway .. I'd buy your book Steve, but I'd ask you to kindly sign it. 🙂👍
And again what does consciously aware mean? Chimps are aware, and some actually make toold from rocks to crack nuts. It's a skill that is passed by miimickry across generations.

We share genes with chimps, do chimps have souls?

My sense of ethics would make it uncomfortable for me to write a book about something that exploits those who are susceptible to foolishness.

You equate awareness to soul without defining either.The same way Christians about god.

Souls come from processed emotional experiences. Joy, Suffering, etcetera. Isn't that what so-called 'soul music' is about? That would seem to make the soul an acquired characteristic of living creatures, which would die when they died.

Souls come from processed emotional experiences. Joy, Suffering, etcetera. Isn't that what so-called 'soul music' is about? That would seem to make the soul an acquired characteristic of living creatures, which would die when they died.
I think that sums it up. Different cultures have different names for it.

'What does it mean to be "consciously aware"'? Is a good question IMO.

It's obviously not enough to be simply "aware", or it wouldn't need the modifier "consciously".

So I am guessing it's a matter of being aware that you're aware.

I'm all of that, and SO much more.

I am often aware that I am aware that I am aware, even as I maintain an awareness of my awareness.
I imagine there are super-beings - gods, if you like - who are constantly aware that they are aware that they are aware, and may even sometimes be aware that that they are aware that they are aware that they are aware!
Maybe ALL things exist on a spectral continuum of awareness, from dust particles to gods, with muons being the least "aware" and gods holding the greatest number of "aware that they are aware"s after their description! That must be really cool if you're a god.

Anyhow, if that's the case then "consciously aware" is just a relative term.

It's obviously not enough to be simply "aware", or it wouldn't need the modifier "consciously".

I am often aware that I am aware that I am aware, even as I maintain an awareness of my awareness.
I imagine there are super-beings - gods, if you like - who are constantly aware that they are aware that they are aware, and may even sometimes be aware that that they are aware that they are aware that they are aware!
Maybe ALL things exist on a spectral continuum of awareness, from dust particles to gods, with muons being the least "aware" and gods holding the greatest number of "aware that they are aware"s after their description! That must be really cool if you're a god.

Panpsychism?

Panpsychism?
Sure … or pantheism if ya wanna get religious about it.

It seems to me I am aware of things happening in my dreams, when I'm dreaming - but since I am not aware that I'm dreaming while I'm dreaming, am I actually aware? Can one be unconsciously aware? Or perhaps we are conscious while we are dreaming?

It seems to me I am aware of things happening in my dreams, when I'm dreaming - but since I am not aware that I'm dreaming while I'm dreaming, am I actually aware? Can one be unconsciously aware? Or perhaps we are conscious while we are dreaming?

Awareness is probably just a made-up thing invented by the Hindi to sell more awareness.

Back
Top Bottom