• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Don't say gay -- oops!

I agree with you on sexual orientation but gender identity? Do you not have a personal sense of your own gender? Well, the rules ban mentioning gender identity. They'll have to remove the boy's and girls' designation from the bathroom doors or eat a lawsuit. It's how the law is written.
I don't think so--this is aimed at teachers, the teachers didn't put up the signs. I don't think it lets them go after the signmaker.
In what universe does a bathroom sign saying 'boys' or 'girls' refer to gender identity?
I get it now, you are not from our universe.

My sex is male
You identify your gender as male. Ok cool..
No, I don't.

I don't know what you think 'gender identity' is. What is it?
What is an acceptable source for you before I answer. Is there a particular scientist in the relevant field you find notably trust worthy? Would the Webster dictionary be an acceptable source?
I'm asking for your definition. Clearly you are using the term 'gender identity' and you claim I have one. So what do you mean?

I agree with you on sexual orientation but gender identity? Do you not have a personal sense of your own gender? Well, the rules ban mentioning gender identity. They'll have to remove the boy's and girls' designation from the bathroom doors or eat a lawsuit. It's how the law is written.
I don't think so--this is aimed at teachers, the teachers didn't put up the signs. I don't think it lets them go after the signmaker.
In what universe does a bathroom sign saying 'boys' or 'girls' refer to gender identity?
I'm from a universe where directing males to the male toilets is neither 'teaching' gender identity or even referencing the concept.

So I am afraid for your universe which is inhabited by people that believe 'sex' and 'gender identity' are the same.

My sex is male
No, I don't.

What is an acceptable source for you before I answer. Is there a particular scientist in the relevant field you find notably trust worthy? Would the Webster dictionary be an acceptable source?
I'm asking for your definition. Clearly you are using the term 'gender identity' and you claim I have one. So what do you mean?

My definition is a tribal definition. In other words like all words, it's the most common usage of the term agreed upon by the tribe.

Here is the oxfords dictionary's definition of gender identity:

"an individual's personal sense of having a particular gender."

So for example, you calling yourself a girl or boy is your personal sense of having a particular gender. According to Florida Law teachers cannot discuss that with Kindergarten students. The law is so stupidly written in a way that any child asking to go to the bathroom will need to be directed to a bathroom with no Gender designation as those signs are gender identifiers. It also puts the use of the words Girl and Boy in educational material in jeopardy since those address Gender Identity that the teachers are forbidden to discuss. The attempt to avoid writing the law in a way that directly impacts its intended target has made Gender itself its target.

In my opinion, it creates an opportunity for frivolous lawsuits and justifiable yet unnecessary calls for adjustments to school facilities and textbooks. This is besides my opinion that kindergartners don't give a damn about Gender Identity the way grown folks seem to.

Apparently, Florida has just banned all textbooks but one & parents haven't even been given a list of the publishers and their books for review. So much for caring about the parent's rights. I wonder which one of Desantis' relatives is married to the publisher. :ROFLMAO:

Note: I'm not serious about the last sentence but you never know.

I wonder which one of Desantis' relatives is married to the publisher. :ROFLMAO:

No marriage, but definitly business links and support of the DeVos family.

I'm from a universe where directing males to the male toilets is neither 'teaching' gender identity or even referencing the concept.
A simple "yes" would have sufficed.

If teachers don't teach children where to go to the bathroom sure. :sneaky:

The Sword of Omens tells me, a teacher just minding his/her own business doing his/her job is going to get slapped with a lawsuit for taking little Preston to the boy's room because Preston's parents believe Preston when she says she wants to grow up to be a girl. And guess what... According to how the law is written It would work. Teaching Preston what bathroom to use is using the forbidden GeNdEr IdEnTiTy in the school.

Talk about destroying the very thing you sought to protect. Gosh. It's not the "don't say gay" bill. It's the "end of all genders" bill. They're literally helping the other side without knowing it. (y)

Talk about destroying the very thing you sought to protect. Gosh. It's not the "don't say gay" bill. It's the "end of all genders" bill. They're literally helping the other side without knowing it. (y)
Kinda ironic, innit?

When I was that age there was a clear differentiation between
Miss
Mr
Sister
Mrs
Fr

Even us dumbass 9 year olds knew what the honorifics meant, how to use them, and that there'd be trouble if we didn't use them correctly.
Tom

My sex is male
No, I don't.

My definition is a tribal definition. In other words like all words, it's the most common usage of the term agreed upon by the tribe.

Here is the oxfords dictionary's definition of gender identity:

"an individual's personal sense of having a particular gender."

So for example, you calling yourself a girl or boy is your personal sense of having a particular gender.
How do you mean? What is a gender? If somebody had never encountered the word 'gender' before, how would you describe it to them?

If I said 'I am male', why is that describing my 'gender' and not my sex? Are sex and gender separate? If so, how do you describe the sex of a human?

According to Florida Law teachers cannot discuss that with Kindergarten students.
I don't see anything at all in the Florida law that prohibits teachers discussing sex, merely 'gender identity' and 'sexual orientation' in K-3.

Before the 1960s, when the term 'gender' was not applied to humans but to nouns, do you think it was possible to talk about human sex?

The law is so stupidly written in a way that any child asking to go to the bathroom will need to be directed to a bathroom with no Gender designation as those signs are gender identifiers.
What makes the signs 'gender identifiers' and not sex designations?

It also puts the use of the words Girl and Boy in educational material in jeopardy since those address Gender Identity that the teachers are forbidden to discuss.
What makes the word 'girl' and 'boy' about gender identity and not sex?

The attempt to avoid writing the law in a way that directly impacts its intended target has made Gender itself its target.

In my opinion, it creates an opportunity for frivolous lawsuits and justifiable yet unnecessary calls for adjustments to school facilities and textbooks. This is besides my opinion that kindergartners don't give a damn about Gender Identity the way grown folks seem to.

Apparently, Florida has just banned all textbooks but one & parents haven't even been given a list of the publishers and their books for review. So much for caring about the parent's rights. I wonder which one of Desantis' relatives is married to the publisher. :ROFLMAO:

Florida doesn't ban textbooks to the general public. It selects textbooks that will be allowed to be used in public schools as textbooks. All school districts (presumably) do this all the time.

Kinda ironic, innit?

When I was that age there was a clear differentiation between
Miss
Mr
Sister
Mrs
Fr

Even us dumbass 9 year olds knew what the honorifics meant, how to use them, and that there'd be trouble if we didn't use them correctly.
Tom
What makes you think honorifics are 'teaching about' 'gender identity', rather than identifying the sex and marital status of the subject?

Florida Repuglicans truly are evil fuckers.

Regardless of whether Disney should or should not have the special status established decades ago, this move is purely retaliatory because Disney came out against Florida's Don't Say Gay law. Can we kick Florida out of the US? Send Texass packing too while we're at it?

The Sword of Omens tells me, a teacher just minding his/her own business doing his/her job is going to get slapped with a lawsuit for taking little Preston to the boy's room because Preston's parents believe Preston when she says she wants to grow up to be a girl. And guess what... According to how the law is written It would work. Teaching Preston what bathroom to use is using the forbidden GeNdEr IdEnTiTy in the school.
If Preston is male, he should be taken to the male bathroom. If Preston is female, she should be taken to the female bathroom.

Why is this confusing for people?

Regardless of whether Disney should or should not have the special status established decades ago, this move is purely retaliatory because Disney came out against Florida's Don't Say Gay law. Can we kick Florida out of the US? Send Texass packing too while we're at it?
Even if you think the reasoning was wrong for cancelling it, it was still the right outcome. Disney's special status should never have existed in Florida in the first place.

Even if you think the reasoning was wrong for cancelling it, it was still the right outcome. Disney's special status should never have existed in Florida in the first place.

I don't care if it should have been done in the first place. It's pure evil to do this as retaliation against Disney for stating that it's against this evil action by an evil government headed by evil people.

I don't care if it should have been done in the first place. It's pure evil to do this as retaliation against Disney for stating that it's against this evil action by an evil government headed by evil people.
FULL DISCLOSURE!
I'm not from Florida, I don't pretend to understand the economic or political landscape there.

The premise of a battle between Disney and the Tea Party is awesome!
Awesome!

I feel badly for the people who's lives are disrupted by this epic battle. But I am not in charge. They are.

At least, here in America, the victims could choose against being dependent on Disney and could choose against voting for the Tea Party. Not that any of that is a guarantee of anything.

It's America!
Tom

It refers to what identity is allowed to enter the bathroom.

For example, let's say a human child who self-identifies as female needs to go to the bathroom. The school ushers the child to X bathroom marked with X label. The child says "that's not the right bathroom" and the teacher replies," yes it is. This bathroom marked for X is for X".

LAWSUIT!!! They just taught gender identity.
And they can't show the blind kid which restroom to use.
What?
Because that would be telling him what his gender is.

You imagine this as only being anti-trans, but it cuts both ways. It's just as much anti-not-trans.

If teachers don't teach children where to go to the bathroom sure. :sneaky:
Yeah. The signs aren't the problem, but the teachers can't do anything relevant to the signs. "The restrooms are down the hall" is fine. "The ladies room is down the hall on the left" is not. And while the two restrooms are generally close enough together that seeing one means you see the other I have seen buildings with a substantial separation--when you find the one and think about the building layout you can figure out where the other one should be, but that can require having a mental picture of the building layout. And note that not all blind people are capable of reading braille. (You have to have good sensation in your fingertips to read it--some people don't have it in the first place and it can degrade with age. My mother read it only with difficulty in her last years.)

Back
Top Bottom