• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Don't say gay -- oops!

Non. Sex and 'gender identity' are not interchangeable
I didn't say they were. I said sex and gender is interchangeable. You may need to stop.using your own make believe dictionary and show me one that says they aren't.

You need 'sex' and 'gender identity' to be identical for your argument to work.

Here's the deal. You believe telling a child about sex/gender is 'teaching' them 'gender identity'. I cannot fathom how you believe that.

Non. Sex and 'gender identity' are not interchangeable
I didn't say they were. I said sex and gender is interchangeable. You may need to stop.using your own make believe dictionary and show me one that says they aren't.
I mean, it's MY position they aren't interchangeable, but whenever I bring up that view, Metaphor always complains. If course then we point out that socially, with the people you aren't in an intimate relationship with, only gender matters.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In what universe - quote posts - have I said that sex and gender are interchangeable?

I find it difficult to believe you do not understand what it means to not answer a question. It can mean be literally silent or it can mean changing the subject or it can mean saying "I cannot answer your question".
So...schools will be forbidden from teaching gender identity to K-3...isn't that the primary intent of the law? How on earth is that unnecessary caution?
Teaching a curriculum is different than answering unsolicited questions from students.
Apparently the practice of your religion encourages persistent and massive displays of avoidable ignorance.
I don't practice a religion.
Sure you do.

I await with interest all the successful lawsuits you predict.
Lol if my kids weren't home schooling and I was a crook I'd personally shorten your wait time.
Oh dear. If you are home schooling you must be a far-right ist and phobe.

It also means I can't discuss gender identity with my own home schooled children according to this law.

Note: I misspoke, im meant to say my children are in virtual school not home school. Forgot they mean different things. But metaphor inadvertently brought up another aspect of this law the law writers didn't seem to consider. Home schooling.

Lol if my kids weren't home schooling and I was a crook I'd personally shorten your wait time.

It also means I can't discuss gender identity with my own home schooled children according to this law.
It doesn't mean anything of the kind.

Yes, it does. All teaching in Florida is to be done according to state regulations and standards. You really need to step out of that universe you created in your own mind. I mean that with all due respect. I see no reason to continue this discussion with you when you refuse to acknowledge even the meer definition of words when presented to you.

Yes, it does. All teaching in Florida is to be done according to state regulations and standards. You really need to step out of that universe you created in your own mind. I mean that with all due respect. I see no reason to continue this discussion with you when you refuse to acknowledge even the meer definition of words when presented to you.

The idea that you can't discuss gender identity with your own children, as a parent, before your children are in year 4 is nowhere to be found in this legislation or any legislation. You may or may not be able to do so as part of a homeschooling lesson (the Florida legislation covers what district school boards have to do, which doesn't sound like homeschooling). But even if you couldn't as part of your homeschooling curriculum, the idea that you can't as a parent is, frankly speaking, absurd.

Even If they accept public funds? That's going to be interesting.

But yeah it makes sense that a private school that doesn't receive public funds to not be required to meet Florida State standards and regulations.

There is nothing in the law that says you can't say gay. It explicitly says “classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3.”

You just cant identify anyone as Mr, or Mrs, or identify anyone as a boy or girl. That's all. Perfectly normal stuff.

Carry on
It says more than that. It allows for the parents to object to just about ANYTHING at all grade levels and requires teachers and counselors to betray student confidences if they confess they might think they are gay or transgendered. And considering teachers DON'T discuss their sex lives with kids, it was a bullshit attempt to erase the LBGTQ community.
I was just being snarky. Of course it’s a lightly veiled anti LGTBQ bill to placate the religious right.

Hey, teacher, leave them kids alone.

FRla5e1XsAcBnHM

FRla5e1WQAE0Vdn

FRla5e6WYAEApsz

1651368116783.jpeg

One recent example of book ban hysteria comes to us from a school district in the suburbs of Houston, Texas, where a book was temporarily removed from a public high school library by police after a parent complained, as covered by the Houston Chronicle. Yes, you read that correctly. By police.

Katy Independent School District confirmed to the outlet that a copy of Flamer by Mike Curato was removed from the library after a parent of a high school student filed a police report saying the material was harmful to minors. Flamer is a graphic novel for teens about queer identity, self-discovery, and self-love and acceptance in the 1990s.

These books are always relevant and important for young readers, but especially in today’s world, where young queer people and allies are hearing so much anti-LGBTQ+ messaging from elected officials and candidates. But of course, conservatives ultimately want to erase queer people and think they can stomp queerness out of youth.

If this all sounds more than a little familiar, it’s likely because the school district has become infamous for its book bans. During a school board meeting on Monday, for example, concerned community members spoke out against book ban efforts that have resulted in the district pulling 10 books deemed “pervasively vulgar” under vague qualifications.

Mind you, parents can already be notified about each book their youth checks out from the library, which is in itself a violation of privacy and clearly dangerous for questioning or queer youth who aren’t safe coming “out” to their families or guardians.

For example, let's say a human child who self-identifies as female needs to go to the bathroom. The school ushers the child to X bathroom marked with X label. The child says "that's not the right bathroom" and the teacher replies," yes it is. This bathroom marked for X is for X".

LAWSUIT!!! They just taught gender identity.
If the child says "that's not the right bathroom" then gender identity is not being taught. The child already knows it.

For example, let's say a human child who self-identifies as female needs to go to the bathroom. The school ushers the child to X bathroom marked with X label. The child says "that's not the right bathroom" and the teacher replies," yes it is. This bathroom marked for X is for X".

If the child says "that's not the right bathroom" then gender identity is not being taught. The child already knows it.
What if the child is wrong? Or better yet, can the child be wrong?

And even if the child is wrong, is the teacher allowed to correct them?

We are told that even young children "know" their gender identity. It is apparently a solecism to say the child is wrong. We are only allowed to affirm what the child says, not correct them as they do not need correction. And no, the child is never wrong I am reliably informed.

And even if the child is wrong, is the teacher allowed to correct them?
Who are you or the teacher to say the child is wrong? That will damage their delicate psyche we are told.

Back
Top Bottom