• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Drag Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whom? It can in fact confound tracking a child's growth and development, especially when assumptions about these things cause injury. The topic is those for whom there is discordance.
Tell me you know nothing about childhood development without telling me you know nothing about childhood development...

And it's important to get out ahead of that by educating them out of such behaviors of ignorance
At this point, you're taking some weird philosophical position that demands we coercively destroy the ability of young humans to employ their innate pattern-recognition systems.

Brain structures obviously play an enormous role in how we perceive ourselves, who we are attracted to, etc. Sexual orientation, sexuality, sexual identification have basis in brain structures. Not, as you are so fond of saying: it's just thoughts in your head. It's not. It's neurobiology.

Thoughts are caused by brain-states. So what? You keep saying 'it's neurobiology'. So what? My thoughts don't change my ethnicity, or my sex, or my age.
Your neurobiology likely determines your sexual orientation.

Your neurobiology affects your perceptions of who you are. Including your identity as male.

I do not identify as male. I just am male.
An appeal to magic? You say it, therefore it is?
The exact opposite. It is, therefore I say it.

We fellow forum posters have no reason to believe that you are male in any sense; all we know is that you identify as such on this forum.
That's true - you haven't seen me or heard me or interacted with me. I could be lying about it. But lying about it would still not make me not male.

Just because a sorority union considers drag and the assault on drag to be "under the umbrella" of trans issues does not mean they or anyone else see trans or drag as exactly the same thing. Drag shows are being used as a pretext for attacking trans people right now, as you are aptly demonstrating.
Drag performers are also being used to normalize transgender stuff.

That drag has nothing at all to do with trans gets overlooked by most people, most of the time, consistently by both sides.

Exhibit A being the revised history of the Stonewall riot that keeps insisting that Michael Malcolm set the whole thing off and was a pioneer of trans rights that was fundamental to the progress of gay and lesbian decriminalization in the US.

You've gone a bit further than that: You've basically denied that trans people exist or that there is any biological basis for their affinity for the sex opposite to what they were identified at birth.
That's silly. Of course they exist. Whether or not their belief is actually biological is an open question that is far from settled. And whether or not their affinity for the opposite sex has any bearing on policy is also far from settled.

Brain states are more your sex than your genitals. The brain is the most significant sex organ, owing to the fact that the genitals are not even a necessary element of the sexual experience.
Tell me you don't know anything about sexual experiences without telling me you know anything about sexual experiences? Honestly, this might be one of the strangest sentences I've ever seen written down. Sex is all about the genitals. If NONE of the people involved in an interaction are using their genitals in some fashion, it simply is NOT sex. Sexual arousal and sexual satisfaction are inherently based around genitals.

segregating people instead by certain thoughts they have in their head does not make sense.
So stop advocating for discrimination against those who think differently than you. Simple.
I actively discriminate against people who think that having sex with toddlers is fine. And I have zero intention of stopping that.

When our first child was born, I was certain that there were no gender differences in how children played, if they were given free choice, no gendered differences in whether or not any given child would prefer to play with say, trucks or dolls. I played with both as a child, for example. Turns out: yes, some kids indeed do choose stereotypical toys and play. Turns out a penis is also a gun and little boys are fascinated with penises: theirs and other people's. Turns out that even if they are raised with no television, no weapons, or books or media about weapons, some children will gravitate to...using their fingers, carrot sticks, celery sticks, and yes, their penis as a 'gun.' I was shocked when our child at barely a year old picked up something and pointed it, saying POW. I still have no idea where he got that idea.
No matter how little you may have emphasized sex and sex-based behavioral expectations to your kids... you didn't raise them on an island in isolation. Other people outside of your home still exert influence, even if it's inadvertent and unconscious.

And even if you don't do... there's an extremely deep-seated tendency in western societies to treat girls and boys differently. They get praised for different things, they get chastised for different things. Even if you yourself didn't, I would be you had friends and relatives who made a point of telling your little girls how pretty they look in their pretty dresses, or how pretty and nice their shoes are, or their hair, etc. Or telling your boys what strong independent boys they are, how smart they are for stating their own opinions and for asking (and expecting) to have their desires satisfied. I bet your girls were praised for such good behavior when they were polite and quiet and kept out of the way, while your boys were rewarded for getting involved and taking part and speaking up.

Even if you, personally, never allowed your kids to watch TV or to listen to the radio, or to read any books... the rest of the world still exists, and it's not possible to completely shelter children from the social trappings of sex-roles.

And... Even with all of that acknowledged... there is a well documented tendency for girls and boys to gravitate toward toys that more closely align with the evolutionary pressures on our sexes. Girls tend to gravitate toward care-giving and organizing games, boys gravitate toward physically expressive and competitive games that frequently involve building and hunting skills. We are, after all, animals. And we're a fairly sexually dimorphic animal at that. Given that female humans have a nine-month gestation period followed by a year or two of breastfeeding, followed by another decade until their offspring reaches sexual maturity and is pretty much able to survive on their own... It should hardly be surprising that we have evolutionarily based behavioral tendencies that divide along the lines of sex. That's not a rule book, but it is a pretty strong guideline.
Ok but my son used to breastfeed his Micky Mouse stuffed toy. And at the same age he also loved matchbox cars, a large dump truck and I allowed my father to give him a ‘cowboy set’ complete with hat, pistols and holster and I believe a long gun. Obviously toys.

This permission to have a toy gun set happened after a couple of years of watching my son use his finger, carrot and celery sticks and yes, his penis as a ‘gun.’ Again, at this point we didn’t have a television and we were living in grad student housing with a lot of pretty….anti-gun people. We lived hundreds of miles from grandparents so my son did not pick up the gun play from my father who loved to hunt.

My favorite toy as a child was a firetruck, followed by tinker toys and Lincoln logs. I did play with dolls but they were characters in elaborate play ( much more compliant than my siblings), not something I cuddled and took care of as a mother does a child. The most girl thing I did was to make clothes for my sister’s Barbie doll. I was frequently told how much like my dad I was and he was the parent I wanted to be like. There were a lot of family dynamics involved, of course.

Last edited:
My definition of woman absolutely does NOT exclude menopausal or prepubertal females.
It does if your definition is supposed to be scientific. A scientific definition must be rigorous, in a way that a casual definition need not be.
And your argument re: falsifiability is in error. You want me to include some sort of state-dependent element, which is neither rational nor necessary.

Consider that a table can be defined a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface on which objects may be placed, and that can be used for such purposes as eating, writing, working, or playing games.
That definition is fine for casual use, but it's valueless as a scientific definition.

It's not really necessary to have a scientific definition of what is and is not a table (or, indeed, what is or is not a woman), unless people are making stupidly absolute claims that require such rigour, such as "All furniture is either a table OR a chair, with no furniture being both or neither"; or "There are only two sexes among humans - male and female. No human is any other sex, nor is any human both sexes, nor is any human some in-between sex".

When such a controversial and definitive statement is made, it can only be supported if you have a rigorous scientific definition of what the key words mean. Casual usage and meaning is subjective, so for the claim to be objectively true, an objective definition is absolutely required.

Scientific rigour isn't optional, and cannot be replaced with "common sense", without becoming mere opinion - and likely wrong.

You have expressed your opinion. You are being asked to support it. Instead you're asking for your definition to be corrupted (because it excludes a large population your common sense tells you must be included), and at the same time you're asking for that definition to be considered pristine, even after you messed it up.

Each individual's sex is ultimately determined by the type of gamete around which their reproductive anatomy is arranged. Even people with DSDs have anatomies that are ultimately arranged around the production of sperm or the production of ova... even if they are not able to actually produce those gametes.
A rigorous definition would say something that can be used as a test against any individual. For example:

1) Does this individual produce spermatozoa? If so, they are in the "male" category.
2) Does this individual produce ova? If so they are in the "female" category.

The problem (as you are clearly aware; indeed, you pointed it out yourself) is that this rubric puts most individuals into neither category. That's only a problem if you are adamant that every human must fit into one or the other, but not both; It's a problem of your own making, that derives from your heartfelt beliefs. Those beliefs appear, as a result of the vast number of people who fit neither category, to be false. So you must either be wrong, or change your beliefs, or change your definition.

You propose to do the latter, but you apparently can't do so without introducing some subjective appeal to "common sense". According to the scientific process that you claim to be following, that's a foul play - you need to either find a way to objectively test for membership of "male" and "female" that leads to zero overlap between these categories and zero humans who fall into neither; Or to accept that your argument is subjective and opinionated, and is not a scientific or objective argument at all.

I am more than happy to change my position to one of unreserved support for your claim; All you need do is provide a test or set of tests that divides all humans into two categories without overlap, and that does so without defining as "male" anyone who is in your opinion "obviously female" (eg post menopausal women), or vice-versa.

Instead of attempting to refine your definition to provide such a set of objective testing criteria, you are appealing to "common sense" or "obviousness" or other forms of subjectivity. That makes me strongly suspicious that you in fact have no such definition available, and that therefore your claim that "There are only two sexes among humans - male and female. No human is any other sex, nor is any human both sexes, nor is any human some in-between sex" isn't based on a scientific understanding of human biology at all.

It's just your opinion, and it's false for all objective definitions of which I am aware; You need to either concede that fact, or provide the definition that will change my mind.

Tell you what: You bring me an individual with patchwork anatomy and we can evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. Hell, we can even let them decide for themselves if they want to be categorized as male or female.
At least one medical paper has already been presented in this thread that describes just such an individual.

But all of those extraordinarily rare medical conditions have zero bearing on either the definition of male and female, nor on the development of law and policy that addresses the sexes as separate from one another.
Maybe, maybe not; That's a function of whether you're being scientific and rigorous, or just using your subjective judgment to form those definitions. But they DO render this claim false:

There are only two sexes among humans - male and female. No human is any other sex, nor is any human both sexes, nor is any human some in-between sex.

You are mostly correct in general. Outliers are fairly uncommon. But that's insufficient to render your absolute claim correct in the specific, because you clearly claim that outliers do not exist at all.

Few > Zero, for all non-zero values of Few.

Which is a big problem for your absolute claim.

Last edited:
Maybe... Don't sex children at birth in that way?
Tell me you have never had to care for an infant without telling me you have never had to care for an infant...

There's an American "we're raising a gender-neutral child" couple that has done the rounds on talk and news shows who only let themselves and two other people change their baby's nappy. I wonder why. I mean, genital configuration has nothing to do with gender, so what are they afraid of?

and that therefore your claim that "There are only two sexes among humans - male and female. No human is any other sex, nor is any human both sexes, nor is any human some in-between sex" isn't based on a scientific understanding of human biology at all.
Weird, then, how they can do this:

and that therefore your claim that "There are only two sexes among humans - male and female. No human is any other sex, nor is any human both sexes, nor is any human some in-between sex" isn't based on a scientific understanding of human biology at all.

I love it when conservatives post links that they clearly haven't read! Really confirms some stereotypes about the general illiteracy of the right wing.

Your link, of course, starts with the proviso that the tests are only 95-98% accurate, which is pretty strange if the human race were divided into the two clear, unambiguous and mutually exclusive gender sets that your culture has raised you to believe in. There's actually a very interesting reason why such a test would be less accurate with respect to phenotypically male persons as the link you provided correctly notes, are you interested in knowing? You should be warned before agreeing, that it gets into a scientific discussion of when phenotypic sex actually is and is not, and deeply challenges religious assumptions about idealized genders.

Mary Baker Eddy and L. Ron Hubbard claimed their views were scientific too.
Yes, but their views were in opposition to the scientific consensus (and observed reality) rather than affirming it. You're challenging conclusions the sciences came to more than a century ago and offering no real evidence.
What universe are you from? Do they have time travel there? The term "transsexual" had not yet even been coined a century ago, let alone "transgender"; and "transgender" only started displacing "transsexual" in the 1980s. You are just making up nonsense about me, as you so often have. You will not exhibit any conclusion "the sciences" came to more than a century ago that I've "challenged". Oh, wait, are you talking about me not believing in Martian canals?

I love it when conservatives post links that they clearly haven't read! Really confirms some stereotypes about the general illiteracy of the right wing.

Your link, of course, starts with the proviso that the tests are only 95-98% accurate, which is pretty strange if the human race were divided into the two clear, unambiguous and mutually exclusive gender sets that your culture has raised you to believe in. There's actually a very interesting reason why such a test would be less accurate with respect to phenotypically male persons, are you interested in knowing? You should be warned, it gets into a scientific discussion of when phenotypic sex actually is and is not, and deeply challenges religious assumptions about idealized genders.
Dude, there's 95-98% accuracy from testing maternal blood. Near complete accuracy from the tiny amount of blood that leaks from the fetus to the mother at seven weeks. But, please, tell us about all these other sexes.

Mary Baker Eddy and L. Ron Hubbard claimed their views were scientific too.
Yes, but their views were in opposition to the scientific consensus (and observed reality) rather than affirming it. You're challenging conclusions the sciences came to more than a century ago and offering no real evidence.
What universe are you from? Do they have time travel there? The term "transsexual" had not yet even been coined a century ago, let alone "transgender"; and "transgender" only started displacing "transsexual" in the 1980s. You are just making up nonsense about me, as you so often have. You will not exhibit any conclusion "the sciences" came to more than a century ago that I've "challenged". Oh, wait, are you talking about me not believing in Martian canals?
Not the terms, the science; the observation than some individuals are what we would now call intersex was discovered at roughly the same time that chromosomes themselves were, way back in 1907.

The observation that what we now call gender - they called everything "sex" at the time - is likewise something that has been known for a very long time. Actually, well back into antiquity. But that sex-associated roles obviously varied more than biological sex is something anthropologists were observing and documenting likewise from the first decade of the 20th century.

The terminology shift came about for social and political reasons. It actually took quite a long time, more than twenty years, for the social sciences to catch on and adopt the sex vs gender dichotomy. However, it has become conventionalized thoroughly at this point, in part because the sequencing of the human genome resovled a lot of questions we'd had about the nature and expression of chromosomal sex and its indirect relationship with cultural portrayals of gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom