• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Elect Trump!

That's very unlikely, because much of his behavior has been on the spotlight for a very long time, and there was never anything that even suggested suspected any of that.
For example, he wants to have followers, not to be a follower. And he's good at cons. He would almost certainly not fall for such an obvious one.
Also, his behavior so far indicates he just lies to get whatever he wants, and that's power, money, public recognition, etc., not the kind of thing you'd get from a follower of those religions.
If you count atheism as a religion, surely he's not a zealot. He's not even been caught arguing for atheism, or doing anything to deconvert people, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

He's pretty bad, but let's not exaggerate.
As for bad character traits he doesn't possess, he's not a serial killer. Or a child molester. Or a religious zealot. And so on.

He would be a terrible POTUS, though.

With the number of reports of him and his friends pressuring underage girls into sex in the 1980's and his behavior towards his own daughter even today, he's pretty damned close to a child molester.

And his running mate is the religious zealot.

So we are left with - "he's not a serial killer". That should be his slogan: "I'm not a serial killer"
His running mate is a tactical choice, to get votes from the Christian right. As for the reports, could you please cite some credible source?
As for his own daughter, she's not remotely a child, and there is no good reason at all to think he would molest her.
Besides, no, it wouldn't be just that he's not a serial killer. That was an example. Most crimes have not been committed by Trump, and he's not shown any inclinations to commit them.
It's remarkable how even when they get a really bad opponent, so many people accuse him without warrant, despite the easy availability of warranted accusations to make.

First of all, I guess I should have used :p to indicate that I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek (as is everyone else in this thread except you, apparently :p )

Second, there were links previously posted to at least two or three cases of him being accused of statutory rape. At least one was with another rich playboy. If I find them again, I will be glad to post them again for you.

As for his behavior towards his own daughter, have you seen the photos from when she was NOT yet an adult? Have you heard how he has talked about her body since she was a baby? I didn't say that he actually molested her, but I think there is every reason to say "he's pretty damned close to a child molester" - which are my actual words.
First, while the "no negative trait" part may have been tongue in cheek, it's an exaggeration that reflects the sort of accusations he's getting in this thread - which are not tongue in cheek, and some of which are unwarranted.

Second, there were no previous links in this thread. You said "the number of reports", so I'd like to ask for at least some credible sources. Maybe you're right. But I've not seen it.

Third, while you didn't say he actually molested her, you said " there is every reason to say "he's pretty damned close to a child molester"", even though there is no indication that he did anything close to molesting her. What would be close to molestation? An attempt? Maybe he was going to, but changed his mind? In any event, there is no evidence of that. As for how he talked about his body when she was a baby, a child, etc. (not now), do you have a source, please?

Don2 (Don1 Revised) said:
Well, that was what I was talking about: a child molester in theory.
Because some weak evidence?

No matter. The other cases (i.e., serial killer, etc.) remain.

There were bad character traits that Hitler didn't have as well.
Yes, that's correct. It's also irrelevant.

Actually, there is totally a point to making fun of politicians.
Sometimes, there is. But there isn't a point in accusing them without warrant. Well, there might be a tactical point in that sometimes even if it's wrong, but not in Trump's case. You have real, supported really bad things to say about him. It's better to use that.

For example, making fun of his orange face. Hitler should probably have been reduced to an emperor with no clothes as well. Stories about him having a micro-penis may very well have been more effective with the anti-Semites than that he would become a dictator. Moreover, his supporters and his detractors are not some monoliths where his supporters have any credibility at all. They're diverse groups saying different things sometimes. If some say such-and-such, it doesn't really detract too much from AP story today of Trump supporter attacking someone.
Making unwarranted accusations might energize some of his opponents, but at the cost of alienating those who aren't already committed, and giving his supporters ammo. It's not only wrong, but not a good tactic.

I've read the entire thread, and generally every post save yours is more sarcastic than serious. If you want to spend your time being all seriously defending Trump, be my guest. I don't intend to argue with you over a bunch of tongue-in-cheek posts about that blow-hard, or kill my good mood correcting your twisting of people's words. Bye bye

I've read the entire thread, and generally every post save yours is more sarcastic than serious. If you want to spend your time being all seriously defending Trump, be my guest. I don't intend to argue with you over a bunch of tongue-in-cheek posts about that blow-hard, or kill my good mood correcting your twisting of people's words. Bye bye

First, I'm not twisting people's words.

Second, it's not true that every post save mine is more sarcastic than serious. Several are sarcastic and serious equally, if that's comparable at all, given that they are serious accusations using also sarcasm. Some are serious and not sarcastic. Sarcastic or not, some of the accusations are reasonable given the evidence. Not all are.

Third, I was just making a simple point not to make unwarranted accusations against Trump, regardless of whether they use sarcasm.

Somebody that wants to use nukes sounds worse than a serial killer to me.

Sounds like an insane loose cannon that could lead to the death of everybody.

And I am serious.

It is a very dangerous thing to give somebody who has never been anything but a petty dictator the powers of the US presidency.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-bloom/why-the-new-child-rape-ca_b_10619944.html

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/daily-show-digs-up-most-disturbing-donald-trump-daughter-clip-yet/

But yes, I agree with Unter. The number of times Trump has advocated for using nuclear weapons is a worse negative trait than anything else anyone could come up with.

And before anyone plays dumb and tries to pretend it didn't happen without citations:

https://thinkprogress.org/9-terrify...about-nuclear-weapons-99f6290bc32a#.j8fslhg01

And yes, I am being 100% serious on this one.

I was just making a simple point not to make unwarranted accusations against Trump....

Is it even possible to make unwarranted accusations against Trump? The guy has touched every base and then some, as far as opening himself up to criticism. And the media give him a pass on almost all of it.
Why hasn't anyone asked him, for instance, what new information changed his birther beliefs after more than 5 years of enthusiastically supporting birtherism? (The stock answer is "Hillary started it" - which is 100% irrelevant to the question).
It is so obvious that Trump is a pathological liar, narcissist and egomaniac, that the media don't even bother to point it out - it's just accepted that "everyone knows".

Elixir said:
Is it even possible to make unwarranted accusations against Trump?
Yes, of course it's possible. It happens all the time. It's one of the things he has going for him. His supporters can truthfully accuse many of his opponents of misrepresenting his views, vilifying him, etc. Of course, then they go beyond that and say he's been treated unfairly even in many cases in which he isn't.
Elixir said:
Why hasn't anyone asked him, for instance, what new information changed his birther beliefs after more than 5 years of enthusiastically supporting birtherism? (The stock answer is "Hillary started it" - which is 100% irrelevant to the question).
I don't know why they haven't asked him. Haven't they? But he was called on that on the media, e.g., http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-birther-cnn_us_57dc2301e4b08cb14095847e.

I already commented on the civil lawsuit. I didn't know about that before, but there is only weak evidence at this point.
As for his daughter, he was talking about what would be the case when she grew up.
He wasn't doing anything like child molestation (you didn't say he did), or similar or equal in a morally relevant sense (like, say, trying but failing, or even considering molesting her as a child but refraining out of fear of jail, etc.).

In fact, he may well have been trying to compliment his wife, even if he messed that up. But regardless of what he tried to do, I don't see any morally relevant sense in which his actions could count as close to child molestation.

Still, there is the civil lawsuit, so as I said, let's remove that example; the others remain.

I already commented on the civil lawsuit. I didn't know about that before, but there is only weak evidence at this point.
As for his daughter, he was talking about what would be the case when she grew up.
He wasn't doing anything like child molestation (you didn't say he did), or similar or equal in a morally relevant sense (like, say, trying but failing, or even considering molesting her as a child but refraining out of fear of jail, etc.).

In fact, he may well have been trying to compliment his wife, even if he messed that up. But regardless of what he tried to do, I don't see any morally relevant sense in which his actions could count as close to child molestation.

Still, there is the civil lawsuit, so as I said, let's remove that example; the others remain.

That's why I wrote "[a]llegedly," not "definitely" or some other sure thing.

That's why I wrote "[a]llegedly," not "definitely" or some other sure thing.
You mean he "allegedly" was or wasn't a child molester?
In any case, as I said, the other examples remain - and even on the matter of child molestation or similar, he's often accused without warrant.
You wrote "allegedly" for the other traits too, apparently (at least, your post didn't distinguish).

Another Clinton Associate Found DEAD, Bill & Hillary’s Body Count Increases!

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/another-clinton-associate-found-dead-bill-hillarys-body-count-increases/

Partisans are all too willing to believe the worst about their political opponents.

And sometimes it's just crazy funny.

CpCA_V_WIAADRLx.jpg

By a 12-0 vote. To jail.

http://boingboing.net/2016/09/12/donald-trump-used-20k-worth-o.html

I'm not sure exactly what to call the crime but I have a hard time believing it's not a crime.

What a person does with money given to him is pretty much his business. The problems arise when tax returns are filed.

The IRS has a real problem with cash gifts. They think that should be declared as income.

I disagree--charitable contributions are gifts with strings attached. The law takes a dim view of "please give me money for [a]" and then you use it for unrelated .

Back
Top Bottom