• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Electric Vehicles (from Twitter idiot)

To notify a split thread.
Wife ordered a Tesla. Should be here in a week or so. Nothing fancy. We both drove one at the dealer. I don't like how the brake regen works, seems to slow the car down too much when it ought just to be rolling along. I'm guessing the engineers figured out how to get the best range and so we have brake regen. But it's an odd way to drive. To me it's like being in a vehicle that never gets out of low gear.

I don't like how the brake regen works, seems to slow the car down too much when it ought just to be rolling along.

You can turn it off and coast like a normal car. It also has a setting called creep where it will move forward like a regular car if you don't hold the brake at a stand still. Aside from that, it works best to always keep your foot on the gas (for lack of a better term) pedal as it is very precise on how much speed VS regen based on the pedals position and current speed. You'll both get used to it.

I don't like how the brake regen works, seems to slow the car down too much when it ought just to be rolling along.

You can turn it off and coast like a normal car. It also has a setting called creep where it will move forward like a regular car if you don't hold the brake at a stand still. Aside from that, it works best to always keep your foot on the gas (for lack of a better term) pedal as it is very precise on how much speed VS regen based on the pedals position and current speed. You'll both get used to it.
I'm a little surprised that vehicle manufacturers haven't yet settled on a standard for auxiliary braking controls.

There are a number of different types of braking that augment the service brake in a vehicle, and these have, until the recent trend towards electric cars, typically been mostly found in heavy vehicles, where they're a defence against brake fade (a phenomenon addressed in light vehicles by the use of disc brakes in place of drum brakes).

These include compression brakes, which use the effort of cranking the engine to slow the vehicle, usually by applying back-pressure in the exhaust system (making the characteristic loud noise of a slowing truck); And engine or transmission retarders, which admit fluid to a chamber adjacent to the gearbox which contains a rotating vaned flywheel. Retarders are quieter, but heat up very rapidly and need appropriate cooling systems. Regenerative brakes are the third option, but work only in vehicles with large battery capacity, or a connection to external power (eg trams or trains powered by overhead wires).

Some vehicles have a separate hand control for the auxiliary brakes; Some work by the driver taking his foot completely off the gas pedal; And some operate only when the driver takes up the slack in the brake pedal. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason behind which controls a given make and model of vehicle has fitted.

It's an area that's ripe for standardisation.

The absence of consumer demand likely plays a significant role. Commercial industries may have adopted such technologies primarily for cost-efficiency. Even so, their heavy vehicle operators, once in their personal vehicles, probably didn't perceive a noticeable void.

The absence of consumer demand likely plays a significant role. Commercial industries may have adopted such technologies primarily for cost-efficiency. Even so, their heavy vehicle operators, once in their personal vehicles, probably didn't perceive a noticeable void.
I notice the difference for a couple of minutes when I get into my car at the end of a long shift.

And I miss my mirror heaters :)

10,000 pound vehicle. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. Asshole behind the wheel. What could go wrong?
Vehicles should automatically brake when a traffic signal turns yellow. Assholes can bitch about it like they bitched about red light cameras.

I remember the argument that SUVs were safer for families 20 years ago... despite the reality that it made life unsafer for the other car. Of all the issues with EVs, this seems the silliest to be targeting. Groups are moving forward with demanding these cars as if our Electric Grid is remotely green.

OMG! The regen brake was awesome for the big valley hill I needed to go down to get home from work in the snow. Wasn't perfect, but much less slipping thanks to the regen braking. I miss that the most. I saw a video on YouTube, however, that indicates some EVs don't indicate heavy regen with the brake lights.

Tesla brake lights always engage when slowing down whether caused by the brake or regen break. I'm not sure exactly at what level of speed reduction the brake lights engage when you are actively applying pressure to the throttle while slowing down. From what I was able to see at night on the rear view camera the break lights do not engage if the reduction of speed is minor enough.

10,000 pound vehicle. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. Asshole behind the wheel. What could go wrong?
Vehicles should automatically brake when a traffic signal turns yellow. Assholes can bitch about it like they bitched about red light cameras.
You mean the red light cameras that increase accidents? They cheat and only count accidents in the intersection, the cameras displace accidents out of the intersection itself. Count those and you see they're a bad thing.

OMG! The regen brake was awesome for the big valley hill I needed to go down to get home from work in the snow. Wasn't perfect, but much less slipping thanks to the regen braking. I miss that the most. I saw a video on YouTube, however, that indicates some EVs don't indicate heavy regen with the brake lights.
AFIAK no car shows using the engine as a brake, whether it's storing the power or just wasting it. The thing is normally people doing that are maintaining speed, not appreciably slowing.

AFIAK no car shows using the engine as a brake, whether it's storing the power or just wasting it. The thing is normally people doing that are maintaining speed, not appreciably slowing.

Tesla regen does appreciably slow the vehicle and engages the break lights.

Source: Owner of a Tesla.

Tesla regen does appreciably slow the vehicle and engages the break lights.

Source: Owner of a Tesla.
Yeah, this about regen braking, which goes from mild to slow your car down not like braking but notably quicker than by coasting. This becomes an issue is areas where there are red lights and there is no rush to stop, so regen. Car behind you can be like what the heck?

Absolutely. I can't recall the last time I used my brakes to be honest. I always rely on regen to come to a complete stop. Compared to my Honda civic regen breaking Vs coasting in the Civic to a stop is substantially different.

I just went outside and tested this on a private road (flat as far as I can tell) since I wasn't sure how to give an idea of how aggressive it is. Going 60mph in a 2018 model 3 Dual motor and completely releasing the throttle the car came to a complete stop between 4 to 6 seconds. The civic? Hell nah I'd probably coast for another 15 seconds before it came to a complete stop.

Absolutely. I can't recall the last time I used my brakes to be honest. I always rely on regen to come to a complete stop. Compared to my Honda civic regen breaking Vs coasting in the Civic to a stop is substantially different.

I just went outside and tested this on a private road (flat as far as I can tell) since I wasn't sure how to give an idea of how aggressive it is. Going 60mph in a 2018 model 3 Dual motor and completely releasing the throttle the car came to a complete stop between 4 to 6 seconds. The civic? Hell nah I'd probably coast for another 15 seconds before it came to a complete stop.
I understand one can access the service program and adjust this, something necessary if one is burnishing new brakes. At least that's how I understood it. So I would think that can be adjusted. The question is how robust the brakes are in the tesla and how long they will last under such use. The car is heavy compared to a civic. If the car was mine I'd give it a try. I'd like to find out if the range is extended by allowing the car to coast more.

In hybrids the regen helps repower the battery. So it helps with the mileage. In the Tesla, I can't imagine the range is being increased as much because the battery is so much larger as it is the primary power source, where as the hybrid uses the battery as a supplemental source.

The brake light "issue" is meant to address cars that can slow down appreciably under heavy regen (sounds like the Tesla has this already addressed). Some cars allow different levels of regen braking.

I'd like to find out if the range is extended by allowing the car to coast more.

Me too. That would require a mathematician with as much relevant data points they can get. I'm not the one. :ROFLMAO:

Some cars allow different levels of regen braking.

Tesla's have 2 settings for regen. Low and standard with low being less aggressive. I use standard.

Edit: Well technically 3 because off is also a setting. ;)

I'd like to find out if the range is extended by allowing the car to coast more.

More on this, it is fairly easy to get into neutral while driving to initiate coasting on the fly. Not sure if it's the same for every Tesla Model but in mine I can either tap the right stalk up twice or hold it up for a second. To get back into drive (which reactivates regen if you have regen on in the settings) I just tap down.

Back
Top Bottom