• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Europe submits voluntarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a lot of time on this response. You edited out some of your intermediate statements but left in my responses to the parts that you cut out. I have tried to restore the sections you cut out of your own prose. The parts I returned are in bold type. No need to thank me.

I also restored the parts of my post that the system reply with quote cuts out.

The discussion has nothing to do with overcrowding. It is a discussion of the distribution of the ages of people in the population.

If there are eight workers for everyone who is retired the payroll taxes for the eight workers will be lower than if there are only two workers for everyone who is retired.

The discussion is about your claim "Germany needs immigration to avoid the fate of Japan". The notion that overcrowding is not relevant to the discussion is insane. Too much immigration will give Germany the fate of Japan.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are a Malthusian. That you believe that the population is increasing exponentially and that the production of food can only increase linearly.

Your statement above seems to indicate that you believe that the problem is one of over crowding. That you believe we should take this opportunity to let the population decrease.

Once again, the problem of a fertility rate below replacement is the opposite of over crowding. It is a problem of too few people, not too many. Without immigration both the US and Germany are facing a slowly declining population. The same problem, as I said, that Japan is has struggled with for two decades because they allow little immigration.

If you do believe that the US or Germany is now overcrowded and that we should take advantage of the below replacement birth rate to reduce the overcrowding you must make that argument, why you think that either the US or Germany is overcrowded, the problems that you think comes from the overcrowding and only then to discuss how to mitigate the negative economic growth that would result from letting the population decrease. If this is the argument that you are trying to make you seem to have jumped over the first two to concentrate on the mitigation.

If this is not the argument that you are trying to make you must tell us why we shouldn't just increase our immigration to maintain a constant population. Otherwise you seem to be denying that immigration will solve the problem of a declining population or even that it is a problem.

My argument is simple. I don't think that we are in danger of sliding into a Malthusian hell, as we haven't been in any of the 220 years or so since Malthus wrote his book. Your Malthusian obsession with over population and your xenophobia seem to be combining to prevent you from seeing that my argument is about simple math.

Once again, here it is. Tell me which one of these statements in the logic train below that you don't understand or you believe is wrong. Hopefully you will agree with these and we can move on.

1. Without immigration a birth rate below the replacement rate means that the ratio of retirees to workers will increase over time.
  2. When the ratio of retirees to workers increases it is harder for the fewer number of workers to support the retirees.
  3. The further the birth rate goes below the replacement rate, the faster the ratio of retirees to workers will increase.
  4. Increasing the number of working age immigrants we let into the country will reduce the retiree to worker ratio.

In addition I have made the following statements to you and the other Malthusian obsessives and xenophobes here,

• All pension schemes, whether Social Security or corporate defined benefit pension plans or even insurance company pension plans are largely hand to mouth funded plans, the money paid out in benefits is the money taken in concurrently from taxes, employee contributions or premiums.
  • All private pension plans are ultimately dependent on the government, if the corporation or the insurance company goes out of business, the government has to step in to fulfill the corporation or insurance company's obligations to the retirees.
  • Automation to replace workers won't reduce the impact of the increase in the ratio of retirees to workers because the pension schemes are paid for by payroll taxes or other deductions from workers wages, which will be reduced because fewer workers are earning wages. Automation that reduces the number of workers will make the problem worse, not better.

I am quite surprised that I got so much push back on such a simple concept.

The US birth rate is lower than 2.099, it is 1.86.
In the first place, that's almost certainly a temporary phenomenon, a consequence of mainstream culture no longer pressuring women to have babies they don't want. It just means subcultures that breed faster than this will become a higher fraction of the population and the rate will pop back up over a period of generations. If that doesn't happen because all the subcultures somehow participate in the drop, ...

Of course, one of the many reasons that the birth rate has dropped is because women want to pursue their careers and that few fathers aren't willing to abandon their careers. But the main reason is that the cost of raising a child in the developed countries is high, meaning that couples are having fewer children. And these factors are the same for the subcultures, most tend to limit the number of children that they have in the second and third generations in a developed country.

Those factors aren't the same in all subcultures. The cost of raising a child varies between subcultures, as does the number of women pursuing careers, and people's willingness to put up with low standards of living. Some subcultures stay poor and breed like rabbits generation after generation while those around them have a demographic transition. Israel's Haredi are an example.

It any of these factors might be temporary, but it hasn't been in Japan.
Three generations isn't very many data points to base long-term extrapolation on.

Three generations is sixty to seventy five years. How long do you want to wait, hoping that things improve? Here is data from Japan, the US and Germany from 1960 to 2015. You don't see any long term trends in this 55 years of data?

German US and Japanese fertility rates 1960 to 2015 2.png

Fertility Rates of the US, Germany and Japan

Those factors aren't the same in all subcultures. The cost of raising a child varies between subcultures, as does the number of women pursuing careers, and people's willingness to put up with low standards of living. Some subcultures stay poor and breed like rabbits generation after generation while those around them have a demographic transition. Israel's Haredi are an example.

The fertility rate in Israel is the highest in the developed world at 3.1, compared to an average of 1.7 in the OECD countries. And it is due entirely to the birth rate of the haredim, ultra-Orthodox Jews.

The national birth rate includes all of the subcultures in the society. It takes the differences into account, that is, the higher birth rate of the haredim, 6.97 to 8.5, sources differ, is included in the national birth rate of Israel, 3.09. The haredim are 20% of the Jews in Israel and Israel is 75% Jewish. This means that the percentage of haredim in Israel is 0.75 x 0.2 or 15% of the population of Israel currently. (All numbers are 2016, if available.) The fertility rate of the other 85% of Israel is 0.85x + 0.15 * 8.5 = 3.1 or 2.1, the replacement rate. So all of the growth in the Israeli population of 2.0% per year is due to the haredim. The population of Israel is 8.8 million. This means that the haredim are adding 176,000 new haredim each year, 2% of 8.8 million. This means that the haredim are growing at 2%/0.15 or 13.3% per year currently. This means that the haredim will double their current population in about seven years. As the haredim increase the 3.1 birth rate of Israel will increase.

But there isn't anything to this that is not told to us by the birth rate overall and its growth. It doesn't matter if the growth of the birth rate is in a subculture or evenly distributed across the population. I don't understand what point you are trying to make with this diversion into this discussion of subcultures.

============== § ==============​

I couldn't sort out where the statement from you below fits in. The reply with quote put it after my comment "The US birth rate is lower than 2.099, it is 1.86." but you had already responded to it with the comment beginning "In the first place, that's almost certainly a temporary phenomenon, " which is where I put it above. It seems to be a new comment by you to my "The US birth rate is lower ... ". This is how I treated it in my comment.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the cost of living, the retirement age, life expectancy at retirement, what sources of retiree income there are besides the payroll tax, yada yada. Sure, you can say "all things equal"; but why should all things be equal? The policy decisions and cultural changes that affect whether there are eight or two workers per retiree will probably affect those other factors too.

No, 1.86 is lower than 2.099, no maybes.[/a little dig]

The birth rate is affected by the cost of living, specifically the cost of raising a child, a point I have already made. The birth rate is not affected by the other factors, it is simply the average number of births for each woman.

If you were responding to the idea that I am arguing that it will strain the ability of the fewer workers to support the retirees then the above paragraph makes more sense. Yes, these factors will impact the ability of the fewer workers to be able to support the retirees. When I said that all things being equal I of course meant maintaining the current retirement age and morality age and the current rate of savings If you believe that you are going to change any of these in the twenty or so years that we have before this really starts hurting you are a bigger optimist than I am. I especially am on pins and needles to hear your ideas on lowering the mortality age. Assisted suicide coupled with a ban on anti-depression meds for seniors?

I don't think that you can affect any of the three, especially when you explain that the reason to do it is to soothe your xenophobia.

When anyone, other than you apparently, says all things being equal, they mean if only the factor we are talking about changes.

The birth rate in the US is 1.86. This might be a short term phenomenon as you said (although the US birth rate among all but recent immigrants has been below replacement rate since the 1980's) or it could be a sign of trouble coming toward us. I prefer to err on the conservative side which is to assume a lower than replacement rate for any long term planning. You seem to rely on the hope that things will get better and that the US wouldn't follow every other developed country into a lower than replacement fertility rate.

The Germans have had a lower fertility rate than the replacement rate since the late 1960's. It has recently bumped up to 1.5 in 2016, largely due to the higher fertility rate of recent immigrants, which is 1.95 which is almost the replacement rate of 2.1. The experience of the past is the immigrant fertility rate drops not long after they arrive in Germany, to where they match the native rate in the second generation, probably for the same reasons that the birth rate is low among native Germans, the costs of raising a child are high, the availability of contraception, etc.

The higher rate among recent immigrants is probably largely to do with pregnancies being being put off because of the uncertainty of migrating. The birth rate for recent immigrants is higher than the birth rate in their native countries, which would support this idea.

The Germans have managed to avoid problems because of various immigration programs, which do increase the workers to retirees ratio. They tried guest worker programs, mainly Italians and Turks. Both tended to return home when conditions improved in their home countries. They also welcomed Slavs with German surnames after the Soviet Union collapsed and from other European Community countries after the formation of the EU. Both helped but both ran their course. Temporary measures are, to belabor the obvious, temporary. They decided that what they need are permanent residents who wanted to become Germans.

... then genes for wanting babies whether you're being pressured or not will just become more prevalent.

This approaches babbling. I need some more explanation before I can accept the "Theory of Yearning Genes."
That's a counterargument on a level with what comes out of creationists' mouths. Learn some biology. "Genes for wanting babies" is no more a theory of yearning genes than "Genes for being tall" is a theory of tall DNA molecules. A "gene for X" simply means a DNA variant at a particular location that by some (usually very indirect) mechanism causes the organism to be more likely to have feature X. Practically any difference of any organism from the average can have been made more or less likely by some genetic difference?

Okay, I was being more than a little flippant, but this is a pretty serious stretch of an argument that you are making. Women definitely are programmed to have a baby but it is ridiculous to say that enough of them will come to their senses at some future date and have the three or more babies required to raise the country's overall birth rate. The birth rate is what it is right now because the vast majority of women satisfy their maternal instinct by having one or two children. What you are saying is that you hope that this changes at some time in the future but you seem to have no idea how that would happen, at least that you are willing to share.

In the second place, the replacement fertility rate is a function of the sex ratio. If average women against all odds continue to only want 1.86 babies in the long term, that's nothing that can't be dealt with simply by making 86 baby boys per 100 baby girls. Sperm sorting technology is on its way.

And in the third place, the "not enough workers to support them because their birth rate is no longer replacing those who die" argument is qualitative, and not sensitive to the difference between 2.099 and 1.86. If you want to make an issue of how far below 2.099 1.86 is, you'll need to present a quantitative argument and run the numbers.

You asserted that 2.1 is the birthrate needed to maintain the population and I have no reason to doubt it. Any birthrate under this will mean that the population decreases. Any birth rate greater than 2.1 and the population will increase. The only thing that lower birth rate of 1.86 and 2.099 will mean is the speed of the decrease in the population.
That's the case only as long as people don't use sex-ratio-influencing technologies. For instance, in China it would take more than 2.1 babies per woman to prevent future population decreases, due to all the preferential aborting of female fetuses there.

You are quite right, any sexual preference technology could make the problem worse requiring even more immigration to maintain the population constant.

The only question remaining is why you think that this fact helps your argument.

The only thing that lower birth rate of 1.86 and 2.099 will mean is the speed of the decrease in the population.
Yes, that was my point. You have no basis for saying that a decrease is a problem full stop. If you want to show there exists a problem for immigration to solve, you'll need to show how fast a population decline it takes for the decline to become a problem.

That is required to determine how much immigration is needed, not what we are talking about here, whether immigration is a valid measure to correct for a declining fertility rate. You are arguing that it isn't, I am arguing that it is.

A declining population is a problem as I repeatedly said because it reduces growth in the economy and leaves fewer workers to pay the taxes to support the retirees. Your repeated efforts to propose alternatives to immigration suggests that you understand that it is a problem. If you don't think that declining or negative economic growth and a declining tax base to support Social Security aren't problems then (1) why bother to offer alternatives to immigration and (2) why don't you just explain why these aren't problems.

I and the Christian Democrats in Germany are saying that these are serious problems. You seem to be trying to have it both ways.

I and the CDU are saying that immigration is the most obvious and best solution for the problems. This is a simple matter of math. If the problem is a declining population adding people to the population solves it. You are saying that you won't accept immigration in any event. This is xenophobia, the irrational fear of foreigners. This is incongruent in the US where the vast majority of the people in the country got here through immigration through the generations.

Yes, working past retirement is a solution for a lower birth rate but it only is a stop gap, measure, as long as the birth rate stays below the replacement rate the problem will keep getting worse, requiring people to work even longer past a common retirement age. Finally it will be work until you die, and even then it will continue to get worse.
Show your work. What you wrote makes no mathematical sense.

Point taken. If everyone works until they die then no one will retire. What I said makes no sense.

But do you want to work until you die to lessen the strain on Social Security?
Clearly you didn't take my point. Sorry about the ambiguity. I didn't mean only the bit at the end, "work until you die, and even then it will continue to get worse." makes no mathematical sense. What I meant was, none of it makes mathematical sense. Show your work for why you believe " as long as the birth rate stays below the replacement rate the problem will keep getting worse, requiring people to work even longer past a common retirement age". <== THAT makes no mathematical sense.

If the fertility rate falls below the replacement rate the population declines. If that smaller population has a fertility rate lower than the replacement rate the population will be even smaller in the next generation. And so on.

If the reduction in the population is 5% in each generation the geometric decline of the population will be [1, 0.95, 0.9025, 0.857,0.815,0.774, ...] times the starting population, basically (N-1 * 0.95) * Pstart for N being the number of the generation greater than 1.

The number of retirees will always be greater than the number of workers and will be getting worse because the number of retirees is dependent on the life expectancy of adults, which should be increasing. However, if you get your way and people are forced to work well into their their seventies and eventually into their eighties the life expectancy of adults would start to drop.

Please, what I said was that if the retirement age stays the same, the problem will get worse. You recommended that we keep advancing the retirement age to avoid having to increase immigration. Those of us who don't have an irrational fear of foreigners, i.e. who aren't xenophobes, believe that this is ridiculous.

Why would you imagine that a birth rate of 2.05 instead of 2.1 wouldn't be compensated for by some specific retirement age higher than 66, say, 67? And an even lower birth rate, say, 1.9, wouldn't be compensated for by some even higher specific retirement age, say, 70? Where are you getting the notion that if it's 2.09 then we'll have to continuously crank the retirement age higher and higher until nobody gets to retire?

Not too surprisingly this isn't what I said. Of course, you can compensate for a lower fertility rate by increasing the retirement age. You could also do it by increasing the work week beyond 40 hours or doing away with holidays and vacations or by reintroducing child labor or slavery. But these are ridiculous things to do because you are afraid of foreigners. Irrationally afraid of foreigners. Except from Norway, I assume.

I would prefer to do the opposite, to decrease the work week and to have people retire earlier, not later. To have more holidays and vacation days and to keep teenagers in school and not working. And to balance this by having lower profits and more immigration. Because I want the rich to have to work hard for their money and to not be able to sit back and enjoy a fat payday by buying politicians and the government, like they did last month.

If the fertility rate keeps dropping and you are compensating for it by forcing people to work longer there comes a point when you have a retirement age that exceeds the morbidity age.

Once again, do you want to be forced to work until you die?

Will your great grandchildren?

Increased automation is only going to help in manufacturing and we have pushed most of those jobs overseas. Most people in the US are now in the service industries.
What the heck are you talking about? Labor saving machinery is ubiquitous in service industries and computerization is only accelerating that trend.

The largest service sector is the financial sector and it is heavily computerized. In your opinion are there fewer people working in the financial sector and is the amount of money that they cost the economy more or less than it was forty years ago?
What's your point? The industry is doing a whole lot more than it did forty years ago. You could have made the exact same argument about the car industry in 1926 -- "Look how much more machinery they're using, and yet look how many more autoworkers there are than in 1886." -- and it would have been a bad argument, because it ignores how many more cars were being built in 1926.

The financial sector is doing a lot more than they did years ago. They are driving up the cost of health care. They nearly destroyed the world's economy in 2008 with their invention of trances of mortgage securities. But the cost of just these two things destroys any argument that they are using automation to lower the costs of financial services for us.

I know that you are only an Econ 101 level of understanding of economics. You and I have discussed economics before. I also know that you show no interest in understanding economics any better than you already do.
You misunderstand. I show no interest in learning economics any better ==> from you <==. I do not believe you are qualified to teach it. If you wish to persuade me that Germany needs immigration because four-legs-good-neoliberalism-bad or whatever the hell it is you're trying to argue, find a reputable economist to back you up, so I'll have some reason to suspect you know what you're talking about. You come off as a crackpot.

I am not asking you to blindly accept my economics, I expect to see reasoned arguments against mine. So far you haven't gotten close. You have introduced repeated demands that my arguments are mathematically incorrect, with no explanation why, just a demand that I show you my work. This is a very simple concept, it doesn't even require any economics. If Germany increases their immigration it will compensate for their fertility rate that isn't high enough to keep their population from dropping. It is even simpler than that, if they have too few people adding more people will correct it.

You are the one who said that I needed a neoliberal economist from the University of Chicago to convince you that adding people to a population increases the number of people in the population. Why you need this is a question best left up to you. I don't see it.

The University of Chicago is the hot bed of neoliberal economics. They push supply side economics, the idea that if we give all of the gains from automation to the rich that they will invest more, wages will go up and we will all become rich.
You do not appear to be competent at explaining theories you disagree with. You appear to have a regrettable tendency to carelessly mix your own premises in with your opponents' premises, and then claim what your opponents are pushing is the resulting mixed-up mess.

This from a person who claims that adding people won't increase a population.

Once again, I was reacting to your suggestion that I need a neoliberal economist to convince you of the simple fact above. I don't have a great deal of respect for neoliberals and I wouldn't change my opinion even if they backed me by saying that indeed, adding people to any population increases the number of people in that population.

I gave an example of a incompetent policy that they support, that really defines them, supply side economics, that the way to make everybody better off is to give all of the growth from the economy to the rich. They have been saying this for fifty years and have been doing it to the economy for forty years and it hasn't happened yet. But they are willing to keep trying, as we clearly saw with the recent tax bill.

You read this and instead of arguing that the neoliberals are right and giving evidence to support it, you argued that I had to be wrong because I am incompetent. Because I can't separate my theories from theirs and then to claim that their theory is wrong because of my messed up mix.

I gave you an example of their theory, and instead of pointing out how I messed up their theory you ducked specifics and made a leap to the generalization that I am incompetent on the whole subject of economics.

I suggest that you look up the term "ad hominem attack" and commit it to memory. It doesn't bother me in the least, because it is the last refuge of many who are losing an argument. But many people consider it to be impolite.

I have been accused before of not even understanding Econ 101, much less more complex economics. I even presented everything that I understand about not only Econ 101 but about the neoclassical synthesis economics that is our current economics and an explanation of what it would take to have a self-regulating, self-organized free market, the basis of Austrian/Libertarian free market economics.

I exposed my limited knowledge of all of these economics and expected to be dumped on, with people pointing out the many points that I had missed or that I had gotten wrong, especially the people who said that I didn't understand basic economics. But I was disappointed because no one did.

Laughing dog made the observation that the neoclassicals gave us the tools to understand the economy, specifically citing marginalism. I agreed, but pointed out that they had used the tools to incorrectly analyze the industrial economy, coming to the conclusion that it was not substantially different from the largely farm based economy of the 18th century classical economists. A mistake that resulted in World War I, The Russian Revolution and the Great Depression, among many lesser problems.

You accused me in that thread of building a strawman to tear down. This was a common complaint. But as I pointed out to someone who said this, possibly not you, that I was just trying to produce a neutral telling of their economics and if you believe that I am not doing it justice I would encourage them to give us a more measured explanation of the way that the economy could self-regulate without the government. No one did.

Since you were one who complained that I was only constructing a strawman you could now point out my strawman constructions in the explanation and provide me with a description of the theory that allows the free market to self-regulate and to self-organize independent of the government. An explanation that doesn't sound like a strawman construction.

But I warn you, the reasoning behind the self-regulating, self-organizing free market is such that many people believe that anyone who relates it is lying or to be forming a strawman because it is so ridiculous.

You have accused me of being too incompetent in economics to discuss it. You have the perfect opportunity to go back to this thread and to expose my incompetence for all to see. It is here, titled "Where I expose my ignorance of elemental economics.

The founder of neoliberalism, Milton Friedman of the University of Chicago, had a theory about wishing. He said that the economy could be changed by wishing, that all we have to do is to treat the economy as if it was the way that we wished it to be, and that it will behave for us as if it is the way that we wish it to be.
I don't believe you. Based on your track record, the fact that you say Friedman said those words does not give me any grounds to elevate my estimate of the probability that he said them. Feel free to provide a link, backing up your claim that he said that. But failing that, I'll take the fact that you put such implausible words in your opponent's mouth as telling me a great deal about the worth of your words, and nothing at all about the worth of Friedman's.

A Friedman fan boy, yes?

I doubt that you would accept any source that I gave you considering your low opinion of my knowledge, so I will let you pick out a reference that you trust. Just Google 'Milton Friedman "as if" methodology' | 'Milton Friedman "as if" theory'. Just be warned that a lot of the links will be from Post-Keynesians like me. Neoclassical economists and neoliberals don't like to discuss this much any more. It makes them look bad.

I am sure that the results of this search will list Friedman's original paper in which he proposed this ridiculous idea. Please read it. He also proposed the even more ridiculous idea that the more assumptions that had to be made about a proposed idea in economics, the closer the idea is to being a fundamental law of economics.

In any event, if your point is to denounce neoliberalism, there are better threads for it than this. So let us presume for the sake of argument that Chicago School economics is completely wrong. How does this help show immigration is needed? How does the hypothetical failure of the neoclassical synthesis help show that eight workers and five hundred machines had an easier time supporting a retiree than two workers and five thousand machines will have?

Automation again. The replacement of workers by machines can't do anything but to make the problem worse.

Workers directly pay one half of the payroll tax and the number of workers and how much they earn determines how much the employer pays in the other half of the payroll tax. If you decrease the number of workers you decrease the amount of payroll taxes paid. There is no tax on the machines, no tax on the profits generated by the machines that replace the workers that supports Social Security and Medicare.

Once again you are the one who asked me to provide you with a University of Chicago economist who would support my wild theory that if you add people to a population, that the population gets larger. I didn't believe that I had to for such a simple concept, but you are you and there is where we sit, disagreeing about simple math.

============== § ==============​

I have an entire series of posts available but never posted here about neoliberalism explained, for example, does it exist and when and where was it created, can we really run the economy without the government, should we really run the government like a business, free trade and comparative advantage, the fallacy of thrift and the dangers of private debt, globalism, the gold standard, supply side economics, neoliberalism and the capture of academic economics, Polanyi's warning to us in the Great Transformation, etc. I really didn't think that anyone here would be interested in these subjects. I have used some parts of them here, wherever I believe them to be appropriate.

As always I have to caution my critics including you that I am a Post Keynesian, and Keynesians to various degrees are explaining the economy that exists right now. Suggesting that it has been tested in time and subjected to a process of evolution that guarantees that it is the best system that can be had, that we change it at the peril of certain failure. Virtually every other school of economics are talking about how much better it would be if the economy could be changed in some way. Most, including the object of your affection Milton Friedman, are proposing to change the economy by removing the government control over it, that an organic free market will spring forth then, a free market that self-regulates. Others have recommended that we abandon capitalism for a system where each contributes according to his abilities and receives according to his needs.

The only difference between the latter and the former is that the latter has been tried and proven to be a disaster. The former hasn't been tried simply because it is nothing but a stalking horse for the idea that we should give the rich all of the real growth in the economy every year. Which is what we have been doing with a very few exceptions since the middle 1980's.

I would have more faith in your position if you at least knew how to spell the names of the countries you talk so confidently about.
In his defense, Czech Republic/Czechia is a toughie. It's the "cz" combination, which is quite unusual.
And even the Czechs are never quite satisfied with the name of their country. :)
When every claim by you that is testable is demonstrably wrong,
Like what?
It is demonstrably right that in many countries, for example Austria, far right parties are resurgent because of utter failure of mainstream parties to address or even properly acknowledge the dangers of mass migration and islamization. In the case of left-wing parties, they even cheer the development on.

And that your entire post consist on harping on a misspelling and does not address any of the actual claims of his post shows just how out of ideas your (i.e. pro mass migration) side is.

Edited to add: This thread has officially entered the Page of the Beast! Not many threads reach this milepost.

I ignore Bilby because all he can do is attack the messenger not the message. It's all he can say about his ideology of open borders and the death of the deliberate destruction of Western culture. One day in the future when his kids or grand kids no longer have freedom of speech, or live under sharia law will say: " Why did our forefathers allow this to happen."

[M]y argument is about simple math.

Once again, here it is. Tell me which one of these statements in the logic train below that you don't understand or you believe is wrong. Hopefully you will agree with these and we can move on.

1. Without immigration a birth rate below the replacement rate means that the ratio of retirees to workers will increase over time.
  2. When the ratio of retirees to workers increases it is harder for the fewer number of workers to support the retirees.
  3. The further the birth rate goes below the replacement rate, the faster the ratio of retirees to workers will increase.
  4. Increasing the number of working age immigrants we let into the country will reduce the retiree to worker ratio.

You wording is not entirely clear, but it sounds to me like you simple math might have a simple mistake: It sounds to me like you're insinuating that the ratio would keep declining. This is incorrect. Any constant non-zero fertility rate (coupled with a finite life expectancy) will eventually lead to a constant ratio of workers and retirees, once a new equilibrium point is found. As the population declines, the number of new workers will be smaller than the number of new retirees each year, but the number of deaths will exceed both and thus the ratio will be stable as the number of retirees shrinks in proportion to the number of workers.

I will assume your replacement fertility rate of 2.1 will still hold -- the actual rate depends on male-female birth ratios and the pre-end-of-fertility death rate for girls/women and can be as low as 2.00 if an equal number of girls and boys are born and every girl born lives to menopause, and even below zero with unequal birth sex ratios. I'll further assume that the fertility rate stabilizes at 1.5, and that the average age of mothers giving birth is 30 (it's was 30.5 as of 2013 in Austria). A fertility rate of 1.5 means (given our first assumption) that after one generation, the number of children born will be 1.5/2.1 ~ 71.5% its original value. Translated into an annual rate and assuming as we're doing a generation to be 30 years, this means 98.89% of last year's births every year e ** (log(0.714)/30)

With a life expectancy of 90 and a typical employment span of 25-65 and simplifying by pretending everyone drops dead on their 90th birthday, this means that the number of retirees will be, expressed in multiples of the number of children born 90 years ago: sum ([(0.9888337335440582 ** (90-i)) for i in range(90,65,-1)])

The number of workers will be: sum ([(0.9888337335440582 ** (90-i)) for i in range(65,25,-1)])

That comes out as a ratio of approximately 1.12 workers to every retiree, and once that ratio is reached, no further shifts are expected without a further drop in fertility. The only scenario in which the ratio would keep dropping indefinitely is we reached immortality. And in that case, an above-replacement fertility wouldn't help either (a fertility high enough too guarantee a doubling of the population every generation would, though).

Automation again. The replacement of workers by machines can't do anything but to make the problem worse.

This is wrong. What automation does first of foremost is increase the amount of products produced without a proportional increase in the size of the workforce, or no increase at all. I don't want to go into that same old derail with Bomb#20 about the labor theory of value, and fortunately I don't have to: Simple suppy-and-demand reasoning will tell you that producers will have to make their products cheaper relative to wages in order to find buyers in that scenario. The only situation in which this isn't so is if supply is upper-bound due to relying on a scarce natural ressource. If that's what you're basing your reasoning upon, you are the Malthusian, not Bomb#20. Also, in that case, population growth would surely make the situation worse.

Workers directly pay one half of the payroll tax and the number of workers and how much they earn determines how much the employer pays in the other half of the payroll tax. If you decrease the number of workers you decrease the amount of payroll taxes paid.

If you decrease the number of workers, you either decrease the amount of payroll taxes paid, or you increase the rate at which the payroll tax is payed. The funny thing is, given what I said above, there is no intrinsic reason why a worker can't be paying 90% of his salary in payroll taxes and still buy more than he's buying now with the 10% he gets on hand, as long as automation has progressed enough by then.

Last edited:
In his defense, Czech Republic/Czechia is a toughie. It's the "cz" combination, which is quite unusual.
And even the Czechs are never quite satisfied with the name of their country. :)

Like what?
It is demonstrably right that in many countries, for example Austria, far right parties are resurgent because of utter failure of mainstream parties to address or even properly acknowledge the dangers of mass migration and islamization. In the case of left-wing parties, they even cheer the development on.

And that your entire post consist on harping on a misspelling and does not address any of the actual claims of his post shows just how out of ideas your (i.e. pro mass migration) side is.

Edited to add: This thread has officially entered the Page of the Beast! Not many threads reach this milepost.

I ignore Bilby because all he can do is attack the messenger not the message. It's all he can say about his ideology of open borders and the death of the deliberate destruction of Western culture. One day in the future when his kids or grand kids no longer have freedom of speech, or live under sharia law will say: " Why did our forefathers allow this to happen."

Everytime you actually had a message that can be attacked, it has been shredded to pieces.
Unfortunately most of your posts contain only polemics without empirical content.

I found a rather embarrassing, but hopefully obvious enough, typo there.

[T]he actual [figure for the replacement fertility] rate depends on male-female birth ratios and the pre-end-of-fertility death rate for girls/women and can be as low as 2.00 if an equal number of girls and boys are born and every girl born lives to menopause, and even below zero with unequal birth sex ratios.

Of course, the fertility rate cannot logically drop below 0. What I meant to write is that the rate can drop below 2.0 or two-point-zero.

The most popular boys names in Britain in 2016 were.......
Oliver
Muhammad
Noah
Harry
Jack.
In that order. That says it all.

Oliver
Muhammad
Noah
Harry
Jack.

Except it isn't true (not without tweaking the data), and if it were, it would only say that Muslims are uncreative with their names.

One, Muhammad only climbs this high up the charts by combining all "variant spellings" like Mohamed, Mohammad, Muhammad, Mehmet and whatnot - and by not doing so for Harry/Henry, Jacob/Jake, etc. That's some fairly obvious cheating if you ask me. Muhammad as such, without variants, doesn't cut the top ten.

Two, each of these top ranked names represents only about one percent of babies born.

Three, the only other Muslim name in the top 100 is Ibrahim (what I said about lack of creativity). If Muslim parents are basically choosing between two names and Christian parents between 98, is it any wonder that the Muslim names will show up relatively high?

(This link is from 2014, but your side's argument hasn't improved since.)

You wording is not entirely clear, but it sounds to me like you simple math might have a simple mistake: It sounds to me like you're insinuating that the ratio would keep declining. This is incorrect. Any constant non-zero fertility rate (coupled with a finite life expectancy) will eventually lead to a constant ratio of workers and retirees, once a new equilibrium point is found. As the population declines, the number of new workers will be smaller than the number of new retirees each year, but the number of deaths will exceed both and thus the ratio will be stable as the number of retirees shrinks in proportion to the number of workers.

You are confusing the birth rate and the result of the birth rate on the population. Yes, if the birth rate stays constant it won't decline. This is a trivial conclusion hinging on the word "constant" meaning not declining. But if the birth rate stays constant below the replacement rate and there are no additional people coming into the country, i.e. immigration, the population will decline.

I am sorry that my wording isn't clear to you. In this post that you responded to I listed the four steps in my logic in as simple language as I could muster. I offered to explain any of the steps that bomb didn't understand or that he thought were wrong. I will do the same for you.

In my post I also showed a series of how the population declines with a loss in population of 5% a year. This is an extreme loss picked only because I could do the math in my head. But it would apply if the loss in population from the birth rate was a constant 0.5% a year. The birth rate is dependent on a lot of factors and may decline or may increase with a declining population. There is nothing that a declining population tells that we can say will cause the birth rate to change in either direction.

But the tendency is for all of the current factors to cause the birth rate to decline among the native born in the developed countries, meaning that the population of the native born will decline and the population will get older, burdening the younger workers with a greater burden to care for the elderly, if there is no immigration.

I will assume your replacement fertility rate of 2.1 will still hold -- the actual rate depends on male-female birth ratios and the pre-end-of-fertility death rate for girls/women and can be as low as 2.00 if an equal number of girls and boys are born and every girl born lives to menopause, and even below zero with unequal birth sex ratios. I'll further assume that the fertility rate stabilizes at 1.5, and that the average age of mothers giving birth is 30 (it's was 30.5 as of 2013 in Austria). A fertility rate of 1.5 means (given our first assumption) that after one generation, the number of children born will be 1.5/2.1 ~ 71.5% its original value. Translated into an annual rate and assuming as we're doing a generation to be 30 years, this means 98.89% of last year's births every year e ** (log(0.714)/30)

With a life expectancy of 90 and a typical employment span of 25-65 and simplifying by pretending everyone drops dead on their 90th birthday, this means that the number of retirees will be, expressed in multiples of the number of children born 90 years ago: sum ([(0.9888337335440582 ** (90-i)) for i in range(90,65,-1)])

The number of workers will be: sum ([(0.9888337335440582 ** (90-i)) for i in range(65,25,-1)])

That comes out as a ratio of approximately 1.12 workers to every retiree, and once that ratio is reached, no further shifts are expected without a further drop in fertility. The only scenario in which the ratio would keep dropping indefinitely is we reached immortality. And in that case, an above-replacement fertility wouldn't help either (a fertility high enough too guarantee a doubling of the population every generation would, though).

And the ratio of 1.12 workers supporting a retiree is more than doubling the burden over today when there are about 2.9 workers for each retiree. And we could improve this ratio by increasing immigration of young workers. This is my argument.

The birth rate is the running average number of children each woman has in their lifetime. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant without any migration or immigration, people leaving or entering the country. The replacement has to be above two to account for the factors you mentioned but it must always be above two.

I don't follow your math, you seem to be going down the well worn path of convincing at least yourself that you are correct. The math is overburdened with your assumptions, another way of saying that you are right if you accept my assumptions. The problem is simple. If the birth rate is below the replacement rate, which can never go below 2.0, the population will decline without immigration. It is inherent in the definitions of the two terms. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant.

But it doesn't matter, your conclusion is the same as mine, the ratio of workers to retirees will decline. This is sufficient to say what I am saying, the burden on each worker will increase and we can relieve this burden by increasing immigration.

Yes, there are things that we could do to mitigate the problem without immigration. We could do what civilizations have done before. We could institute polygamy. Only the wealthy can afford to have many wives and they would be less restrained by the costs of raising a child. Of course, we could suffer then from the problem of too many sexually frustrated young males willing to blow themselves up to achieve relief from the 78 virgins in heaven. And I think that polygamy isn't so much a reaction to declining birth rates as it is reflecting the desire of rich and powerful men to have sex with many different women.

But the conservative approach is to assume that everything else remains as it is. That we don't turn to polygamy, that we don't as bomb suggested increase the retirement age to lower the mortality age at retirement by working people to death.

This is wrong. What automation does first of foremost is increase the amount of products produced without a proportional increase in the size of the workforce, or no increase at all. I don't want to go into that same old derail with Bomb#20 about the labor theory of value, and fortunately I don't have to: Simple suppy-and-demand reasoning will tell you that producers will have to make their products cheaper relative to wages in order to find buyers in that scenario. The only situation in which this isn't so is if supply is upper-bound due to relying on a scarce natural ressource. If that's what you're basing your reasoning upon, you are the Malthusian, not Bomb#20. Also, in that case, population growth would surely make the situation worse.

I am the all time champion of economic theory derails.

I will try to minimize that to answer this, but it is hard for me.

My statement that automation isn't the answer for this problem is based on the conditions that exist today continuing. Here are those conditions,

• The entire industrial revolution driven by capitalism can be summed up as improving productivity, spurring innovation and developing substitutes for scarce resources.
  • Competition today hinges on innovation and quality enhancing perceived value, not on price.
  • Marketing, advertising and branding are some of the ways that corporations try to prevent their products from becoming commodities, and having supply and demand setting their prices.
  • But by far the largest and strongest way to prevent competition is intellectual properties, which corporations have turned into government granted monopolies.
  • Bomb#20 is not right that the only input that puts value into a product or a commodity is labor, which is what most people think of when they champion the labor theory of value.
  • The mechanism of capitalism requires rewards to capital to keep running.
  • But this is a very hollow victory for you, labor adds most of the value to products and commodities and the industrial revolution diminished the role of capital in the economy because capital is now just money and the economy is capable of generating the money that it requires.
  • We have been subjected to an economic policy regime that dramatically overvalues the contribution of capital and therefore suppresses wages to increase profits.
  • This has resulted in all of the real growth in the economy from increased productivity and innovation going to profits to reward capital, and none going to wages.
  • Even though it is the workers who supply most of the innovation and productivity increases.
  • Until 1975 these gains were evenly split between profits and wages.
Why did this happen? Because of neoliberal economics and the ability of movement conservatism to fool a large part of the population into voting against their own economic interests, largely by making them believe lies, what we now call alternative facts and by portraying the truth as fake news. It has reached such an extreme that Donald Trump happened.

Neoliberal economics is the idea that Keynes was wrong that the industrial revolution had fundamentally changed the economy into an economy that is driven by demand, not supply. That the economy is still driven by supply, the same as it was during the time of the classical economists, Smith, Ricardo, Malthus, Say, into but not including Marx. When capital was land because it was an agrarian and artisan economy and growth was dependent on either working the existing land harder or expanding the amount of land under cultivation, infamously through colonialism.

It was Keynesian economics that got us through the Great Depression, World War II, the reconstruction of Europe and Japan, into the 1970's with high levels of growth by splitting the rewards from growth between profits and wages, between rewarding capital, supply, and maintaining a high level of demand. High wages were achieved by balancing the relative negotiating power of employers and employees by structural support for unions and by maintaining competition in the market mainly by keeping a lot of smaller companies in the market.

Neoliberal economics slowly reversed all of that.

It is neoliberalism that gave us the great moderation, low inflation, low growth and high income and wealth inequality. Along with the Great Financial Crisis and the Great Recession, because neoliberals don't believe that the most dangerous and inherently unstable part of our economy doesn't need to be regulated, that it had learned to self-regulate, the financial sector.

The how and why of neoliberalism, if you need a review,

Neoliberal economics was started by two Austrian economists, Ludwig von Mises and Frederick von Hayek. Austrian economics is the economics of the Libertarians, the re-branded anarchists. It is based on the highly dubious claim that if the government stopped regulating the economy that it would begin to self-regulate and to self-organize. That this was the way to the maximum amount of social justice possible. That if left to a truly free labor market labor would be paid what it is really worth.

The two newly minted "neoliberals" went back to the 1830's in England when the middle class males were first able to vote for the Parliament, and soon to take over control of it. The bourgeois were the sons of the Enlightenment, the Age of Reason. They looked for a scientific way of organizing the economy that was then being produced by the industrial revolution. They went back to Adam Smith and his view of the economy as a clockwork mechanism that would run on its own if left alone. This became known as  Classical Liberalism.

The tenets of classical liberalism,

• A free market.
  • Free trade.
  • A genuine free market for labor.
  • A strict gold standard for money to prevent profligate spending in international trade.
One of the first things that the classic liberals did was to end so called open welfare because it encouraged sloth and returned England to a new age of reopened debtors prisons and poor houses. Their free trade policies contributed significantly to the deaths of one million Irish during the potato blight and to the migration of a million more.

The neoliberals adopted these same tenets. This was not too surprising because this is nothing more than warmed over, renamed Austrian economics, the economics that had been so brutally maimed by the Great Depression just a few years before. Austrian economics failed to predict or even to allow that something like the Great Depression could occur and it disagreed with the measures that every country including their own Austria finally had to do to start to recover from the depression, primarily to ditch the gold standard and to provide money directly to their citizens for relief.

If it had only been the Austrians who were supporting neoliberalism it probably would have slid into well deserved obscurity without anyone much noticing. But it came to the attention of a mainstream economist who immediately recognized it for something that the Austrians never would have realized. That neoliberalism is a very wealth friendly economics. It reestablished that supply, capital, money is the most important thing in the economy, pretending that the industrial revolution had never happened and that adopting it would undo Keynes and the regrettable tendency to tax the wealthy, and putting wealth back into the drivers seat of the economy instead of the aggregate demand of the great unwashed. It didn't matter to him that the economy that the neoliberals pushed was highly improbable, to say the least, but it gave the instable greed of the already wealthy the academic cover to blossom forth a new glided age. The mainstream economist was Milton Friedman.

Friedman introduced the Austrians to their natural allies, the wealthy of the world and formalized their relationships together founding the Mt. Pelerin Society in 1947. This relationship turned out to be very profitable for the founders of neoliberalism, all three saw their economics schools funded beyond their wildest dreams as well as their own personal fortunes. And since it is the wealthy who fund economic research and who hire the graduates of the university schools of economics the wealthy were able to spread neoliberalism all through academic economics.

Of course, the wealthy never intended to establish a free market but this almost random collection of fantasy and wishful thinking did provide theory to allow the wealthy to slowly regain control of the government and its economic policy setting. If only they could find some large group of people stupid enough to do the one thing that the vast majority of the wealthy would never do, vote against their own economic self-interests.

Conservatives had always been ignored during the Keynesian times. Their dedication to the status quo and their fear of change left no doubt that they would oppose any changes in the status quo. There is no reason to listen to them because their answer is always the same, no change. Getting rid of Jim Crow, their answer was no, treating women more equally, no again, increasing immigration, no, Medicare, no, eliminating poverty, no, one man one vote, no, etc. on down the line.

Initially the neoliberals gained the votes of conservatives simply because the neoliberals listened to conservatives and their collection of conspiracy theories, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, gun rights, religious fundamentalism, etc. and pretended to want to act on them. Of course, the neoliberals, the establishment Republicans, the party of the wealthy, had no intention of acting on these.

What happened over the years was younger Republicans were not in on the joke and grew up thinking that the mish mosh of conspiracy theories, racism, xenophobia, homophobia, alternate facts, fake news, religious fundamentalism, fantasy economics, etc. actually constituted reality and provided a valid set of theories to run the country. People such as Paul Ryan and Donald Trump.

Workers directly pay one half of the payroll tax and the number of workers and how much they earn determines how much the employer pays in the other half of the payroll tax. If you decrease the number of workers you decrease the amount of payroll taxes paid.

If you decrease the number of workers, you either decrease the amount of payroll taxes paid, or you increase the rate at which the payroll tax is payed. The funny thing is, given what I said above, there is no intrinsic reason why a worker can't be paying 90% of his salary in payroll taxes and still buy more than he's buying now with the 10% he gets on hand, as long as automation has progressed enough by then.

I think that you meant to say, "If you decrease the number of workers, you either decrease the amount of payroll taxes Social Security benefits paid, ..."

The reason that a worker can't pay 90% of his income in payroll taxes is because the workers are not sharing in the rewards from automation. It is now the aim of our current economic policy to pass all of the gains from all of the growth in the economy to the already wealthy. Both you and bomb seem reluctant to acknowledge this point but seem to ignore it rather than to offer your reasons to oppose it.

Oliver
Muhammad
Noah
Harry
Jack.

It says all you want to hear. But your selective deafness isn't a laudable trait that you should be recommending to others; it is a fundamental flaw that leads you to some deeply unpleasant and erroneous conclusions.

Reality isn't as simple as your simplistic tabloid arguments (as others point out above).

You are confusing the birth rate and the result of the birth rate on the population.

Not so. The very part you quote contains the phrase "As the population declines".

Yes, if the birth rate stays constant it won't decline. This is a trivial conclusion hinging on the word "constant" meaning not declining. But if the birth rate stays constant below the replacement rate and there are no additional people coming into the country, i.e. immigration, the population will decline.

Yes, the population will keep declining. But the ratio of workers to retirees will stop declining once it reaches a new equilibrium point. This is because eventually with some time lag until the people born when birth rates were still much higher have died off, the number of retirees will shrink at the same rate as the number of workers.

I am sorry that my wording isn't clear to you. In this post that you responded to I listed the four steps in my logic in as simple language as I could muster. I offered to explain any of the steps that bomb didn't understand or that he thought were wrong. I will do the same for you.

In my post I also showed a series of how the population declines with a loss in population of 5% a year.

Which is kind of irrelevant because no-one denied or failed to understand that a below-replacement fertility means a declining population (once the generation born when fertility rates were still higher has died off).

But hey, if you're allowed to calculate with a 5% pa decline for effect, do I get to calculate with a 5% growth?
After a century of declining at an annual rate of 5%, the US population will be 1.9 million (starting with 325 million). After a century of growing at 5%, the US population will be 42.7 billion. Neither is ideal, but I know which I'd prefer (and no, a more realistic rate won't make this go away, it'll just delay it by a few short centuries).

This is an extreme loss picked only because I could do the math in my head. But it would apply if the loss in population from the birth rate was a constant 0.5% a year. The birth rate is dependent on a lot of factors and may decline or may increase with a declining population. There is nothing that a declining population tells that we can say will cause the birth rate to change in either direction.

But the tendency is for all of the current factors to cause the birth rate to decline among the native born in the developed countries, meaning that the population of the native born will decline and the population will get older, burdening the younger workers with a greater burden to care for the elderly, if there is no immigration.

I don't think anyone denied that all else equal, the burden on the younger generation will be higher. What people are denying is that all else will be equal, or that immigration is the only parameter that can reasonably be tweaked.

And the ratio of 1.12 workers supporting a retiree is more than doubling the burden over today when there are about 2.9 workers for each retiree.

A lot of that increase is due to increased life expectancies alone, though. If you run the calculations with my parameters and simplifications and a fertility rate exactly at the replacement level, that is population growth rate 0.0%, you still get a ratio of 1.6 exactly. In that model, each one-year-cohort is exactly as strong as the previous one, so all we need to do is compare the 40 cohorts between ages 25-65 to the 25 cohorts 65-90. A more realistic age-dependent mortality, instead of pretending everyone drops dead on their 90th birthday, only makes things worse, though not by much as long as few people die before 65.

Indeed, even if we plug in the US's current population growth rate of 0.7% annually, the ratio is still 2.01 workers to every retiree at a 90 year life expectancy. In order to maintain a ratio of 2.9 with a life expectancy of 90 years, a growth rate of 1.8% annually is required. Conversely, if you believe that life expectancies will plateau at 80 or 85, even the declining population corresponding to a fertility rate of 1.5 will still have a workers/retirees ratio of 1.98 or 1.44 respectively.

What these calculations also ignore is that not only are the retiree cohorts numerically stronger in a declining population than the working-age cohorts, but the cohorts of children and students are weaker than the working age cohorts. These effects almost cancel each other out: If we assume a stable fertility rate high enough to guarantee an annual population growth of 1% and life expectancy of 90 years, the ratio of workers/non-workers (where non-workers include both retirees and children and full-time students, modeled as anyone below age 25 or above 65) will be 0.7629. For population declining at -1.1% annually (which is what I get for TFR of 1.5) that same figure will be 0.7547. In fact those ratios are symmetric: A positive growth rate of +1% or 101/100 produces the exact same ratio as a negative growth rate of -0.99% (=100/101), and the optimal ratio of 0.8 (40 cohorts of working age people to 25 cohorts each of children/students and retirees) is achieved only at 0.0 growth, where all cohorts are the same size. This is an artifact of the fact that our pre- and post-productive life phases are the same length (25 years before 25, 25 years after 65 till death at 90). With a lower life expectancy, children and students will be more of a burden than retirees and thus the ratio worse under a growing than a declining population.

And we could improve this ratio by increasing immigration of young workers. This is my argument.

We could. Or we could reap the fruits of productivity increases and realise that in the 21st century there's no longer any good reason why the ratio has to be high to provide everyone with a good life.

The birth rate is the running average number of children each woman has in their lifetime. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant without any migration or immigration, people leaving or entering the country. The replacement has to be above two to account for the factors you mentioned but it must always be above two.

No, the birth rate is the number of children born per year per 1000 inhabitants. What you're talking about is the total fertility rate.
Terminology aside, the replacement fertility rate can be below 2.00 under one condition: If more girls than boys are born, and the bias is strong enough to offset girls' and women's death rate before the end of fertility.

I don't follow your math, you seem to be going down the well worn path of convincing at least yourself that you are correct. The math is overburdened with your assumptions, another way of saying that you are right if you accept my assumptions.

You can just ask ;)
Which of the assumptions do you find dubious? Do you expect life expectancies to grow indefinitely, of fertility rates to decline indefinitely?

I'll explain my formula though.
At a given rate of population growth or shrinkage, the number of people born each year will be proportionally smaller than last year's number. Say the rate is -1.1% (approximately what we get with TFR 1.5 and generation span 30). If the births in year 0 are 1 unit (say a million people), the births in year 1 will be 0.989 units, and the births in year 2 0.989 x that, or 0.989^2, and so on and so forth. For every year y, the births will be 0.989^y. To find the total number of retirees, we sum over the births from 90 years ago to the births from 65 years ago. For ease of calculation, the births 90 years ago will be our unit. We thus sum over the numbers {0.989^0 ... 0.989^(90-66)}, and likewise for the workers, though here the range will start at 0.989^25 or as I expressed it 0.989^(90-65): the oldest, and most numerous, cohort of workers will already be smaller than each retiree cohort. In fact, it will be 25 years worth of a 1.1% decline smaller than our unit cohort of 90 year olds.

The problem is simple. If the birth rate is below the replacement rate, which can never go below 2.0, the population will decline without immigration. It is inherent in the definitions of the two terms. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant.

Thanks for telling me nothing new. But we weren't talking about keeping the population constant, we were talking about keeping the ratio of workers/non-workers constant constant.

But it doesn't matter, your conclusion is the same as mine, the ratio of workers to retirees will decline. This is sufficient to say what I am saying, the burden on each worker will increase and we can relieve this burden by increasing immigration.

Yes, there are things that we could do to mitigate the problem without immigration. We could do what civilizations have done before. We could institute polygamy. Only the wealthy can afford to have many wives and they would be less restrained by the costs of raising a child. Of course, we could suffer then from the problem of too many sexually frustrated young males willing to blow themselves up to achieve relief from the 78 virgins in heaven. And I think that polygamy isn't so much a reaction to declining birth rates as it is reflecting the desire of rich and powerful men to have sex with many different women.

But the conservative approach is to assume that everything else remains as it is. That we don't turn to polygamy, that we don't as bomb suggested increase the retirement age to lower the mortality age at retirement by working people to death.

I am the all time champion of economic theory derails.

I will try to minimize that to answer this, but it is hard for me.

My statement that automation isn't the answer for this problem is based on the conditions that exist today continuing. Here are those conditions,

<snipped long-winding discussion which might be relevant directed at a defender of neoliberalism, but you're barking up the wrong tree>

The reason that a worker can't pay 90% of his income in payroll taxes is because the workers are not sharing in the rewards from automation. It is now the aim of our current economic policy to pass all of the gains from all of the growth in the economy to the already wealthy. Both you and bomb seem reluctant to acknowledge this point but seem to ignore it rather than to offer your reasons to oppose it.

If I understand you correctly, you're admitting that automation has the potential to allow everyone to have a high living standard despite a declining ratio of workforce/adult population but contending that this potential isn't being actualised because of how neoliberal economies prioritise production and organise distribution of the produce. Is that a fair paraphrase?

If so, I don't see how what you're proposing - to keep the ratio artificially high in order to not have to address those priorities - is any different from a man who keeps throwing more and more fuel into the fireplace to fight the chill while ignoring the open windows.

And to stick with this analogy, he's already low on fuel and will soon be starting to burn the furniture: Continued exponential growth is not a feasible long-term solution due to rather simple math. You can call me a Malthusian till the cows come home, but the fact remains that, at a continued exponential growth of just 1% per year, the population multiplies by a factor of 2.7 per century, 20959 per millennium, and over 9 trillion in 3000 years, still well within the timescales of human civilisation. Starting with todays population of 7.6 billion and assuming an average human to have 50kg, half of the earth's mass, liquid iron core and all, will be human flesh by the year 5018.

I'm very much not a Malthusian in that I accept the empirical evidence that this is not in fact happening, that population growth is already slowing down at an encouraging speed globally and the population likely will peak within the century, early next century at the latest. But his math was right, it's his assumptions that were wrong. Continued exponential growth is a mathematical impossibility in a universe with a finite maximum speed and a finite number of dimensions, much more so within any one country.

Last edited:
Oliver
Muhammad
Noah
Harry
Jack.

Except it isn't true (not without tweaking the data), and if it were, it would only say that Muslims are uncreative with their names.

One, Muhammad only climbs this high up the charts by combining all "variant spellings" like Mohamed, Mohammad, Muhammad, Mehmet and whatnot - and by not doing so for Harry/Henry, Jacob/Jake, etc. That's some fairly obvious cheating if you ask me. Muhammad as such, without variants, doesn't cut the top ten.

Two, each of these top ranked names represents only about one percent of babies born.

Three, the only other Muslim name in the top 100 is Ibrahim (what I said about lack of creativity). If Muslim parents are basically choosing between two names and Christian parents between 98, is it any wonder that the Muslim names will show up relatively high?

Are you being islamphobic by implying muzzies are dumb as fuck?

The meaning of the word refugee is a person who escapes to a nation of safety, not to a country where they can receive benefits.
Those economic refugees could have found safety in many other countries on the way to Australia using one example. But they chose not to, even though most of the countries were Islamic. What does that tell those who wish to have open borders!

Oliver
Muhammad
Noah
Harry
Jack.

No, I'm implying you are.
Thanks for confirming.

The meaning of the word refugee is a person who escapes to a nation of safety, not to a country where they can receive benefits.
Those economic refugees could have found safety in many other countries on the way to Australia using one example. But they chose not to, even though most of the countries were Islamic. What does that tell those who wish to have open borders!

The Hungarian Revolution of 1956 against Soviet occupation and communism was crushed by Soviet Union troops reoccupying the country. Once more Australia welcomed about 14,500 migrants following a mass exodus of 200,000 Hungarians from their own country. ( Hungarian_Australians)

Those 200,000 Hungarians were safe when they'd reached Austria or Yugoslavia. What does that tell you about their true intent in seeking resettlement in Australia?

The Hungarian Revolution of 1956 against Soviet occupation and communism was crushed by Soviet Union troops reoccupying the country. Once more Australia welcomed about 14,500 migrants following a mass exodus of 200,000 Hungarians from their own country. ( Hungarian_Australians)

Those 200,000 Hungarians were safe when they'd reached Austria or Yugoslavia. What does that tell you about their true intent in seeking resettlement in Australia?
Then there are those 80,000 Vietnamese landing on Australian shores after Saigon fell into the hands of those commies. Laos, Thailand, Burma, Malaysia and the Philippines right nearby, but nooooo, those economic opportunists had to leach off our dole money, use our hospitals and schools and marry our women.*

*Sorry about the missing sarcasm tag. The Vietnamese, like all waves of migrants before and since, have been of net benefit to Australia.

Then there are those 80,000 Vietnamese landing on Australian shores after Saigon fell into the hands of those commies. Laos, Thailand, Burma, Malaysia and the Philippines right nearby, but nooooo, those economic opportunists had to leach off our dole money, use our hospitals and schools and marry our women.*

*Sorry about the missing sarcasm tag. The Vietnamese, like all waves of migrants before and since, have been of net benefit to Australia.

Bloody Vietnamese, coming over here, establishing thriving businesses and paying OUR taxes - taxes that could have been paid by REAL Australians, like I have been for almost half of my life. :mad:

Bloody Vietnamese, coming over here, establishing thriving businesses and paying OUR taxes - taxes that could have been paid by REAL Australians, like I have been for almost half of my life. :mad:

And they are taking our government over, bit by bit. In South Australia the ceremonial post of Governor has been cadged by Hieu Van Le, a Vietnamese illegal, who arrived in Darwin by leaky boat with 40 other illegals in 1977. Thin end of the wedge, I tells ya. Thin end of the wedge.

No, I'm implying you are.
Thanks for confirming.

Who are you kidding with this shite! Not everyone came down the last shower! There's one reason only why the name Mohammed, or any other variations of it is because Muslims everywhere have a much higher birthrate than Westerners. And you know it!

No sarcasm is necessary as all waves of immigration to Australia, or Canada, USA, and elsewhere, quickly integrated and contributed greatly to the development and creation of wealth everywhere they settled by working their guts out. Muslim immigrants everywhere are a net drain on every economy in the Western world. Not to mention the terrorist attacks and the ever ongoing threat to security everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom