• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Europe submits voluntarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
German gummy candy brand Katjes has submitted voluntarily:
Katjes wirbt mit muslimisch verschleierten Frauen

They removed gelatin from their products because it is not "halal" and now are advertising for it with a veiled model.

Katjes commercials, before and after islamization.
DUvDmRnXUAAijBG.jpg

What comes in 2024? Pink burqas?

They removed gelatin from their products because it is not "halal" and now are advertising for it with a veiled model.

DUvDmRnXUAAijBG.jpg

ZOMG!!!!

Advertisers are targeting new markets that don't include me!!!

It's the collapse of civilisation!!!1!!ONE!!

:rolleyes:

Don't worry though; Muslim immigrants are too workshy to be able to afford candy, so the folks at Katjes will doubtless be ruthlessly bankrupted by market forces. Unless they have a better understanding of their business than some random Internet bigots. But what's the chances of that?

DUvDmRnXUAAijBG.jpg

If you check the company's actual homepage rather than repeating the islamophobic rant of some some random islamophobic blog, you'll find that that motive is one of three in their current campaign.

Even if you can't be bothered to use google, you'll notice that they're advertising it as "veggie", that is vegetarian, not as halal. There's probably more vegetarians than Muslims in Germany, though there are no exact numbers for either, but let's say 9% vegetarians and 6% Muslims. If we assume that 1/3 of either demographic will make an occasional exception for gelatine (I know both Muslims and vegetarians who do, and probably more Muslims), removing gelatine is a move that increases the number of potential costumers by about 10%.

How is a capitalist company doing what capitalist companies do "submitting to Islam"?

ZOMG!!!!
Advertisers are targeting new markets that don't include me!!!
They are doing it using a symbol of islamic repression. What makes this ad campaign even worse is that it is coming at a time when the Islamic Theocracy of Iran is arresting women for daring to go without a hijab.
Iranian Police Arrest 29 Women Protesting Against Veiling Law

It's the collapse of civilisation!!!1!!ONE!!
Nobody said it was, so stop with silly hyperbole.
Islamization, very much like climate change is a gradual and relatively process, "Day After Tomorrow" notwithstanding. That allows climate deniers and Islamization deniers to deny what is clearly happening.

And that the Katjes company felt necessary to appeal to the demographic of hijab wearing Muslim women in Germany shows how far Islamization has already progressed.

Don't worry though; Muslim immigrants are too workshy to be able to afford candy,
Maybe not workshy, but they tend to be relatively uneducated and there isn't much demand for unskilled labor anymore. But no worries, they still get thousands of Euros per month in benefits, and that's a lot of crappy gummy candy.
Unless they have a better understanding of their business
You are missing the point. The more religious Muslims there are to be attracted to the message of this ad, the more that shows just how far Islamization has already progressed.

than some random Internet bigots.
Everybody who disagrees with bilby is a "bigot". Got it.

If you check the company's actual homepage rather than repeating the islamophobic rant of some some random islamophobic blog, you'll find that that motive is one of three in their current campaign.
Who said that the hijab wearing woman in the only commercial they are running? But if 1/3 of their current commercials target not just Muslims, but specifically very religious Muslims, that should tell you something.
In 2012, 0% of their commercials targeted the covered-up demographic.

Even if you can't be bothered to use google, you'll notice that they're advertising it as "veggie", that is vegetarian, not as halal.
But the gist of the 1/3 of their commercials that target very religious Muslims is that now Muslims can eat it, which they can't (or else Allah will get really mad or something) if it's made with real gelatin.

There's probably more vegetarians than Muslims in Germany,
I doubt that very much.

though there are no exact numbers for either, but let's say 9% vegetarians and 6% Muslims.
That seems way too high for vegetarians. It's only 4% according to Spiegel. And I doubt most of them are doctrinaire vegetarians who would even draw a line at gelatin and abstain from Haribo.
Muslims tend to be a lot stricter. I know a Muslim guy here in Atlanta. He is not allowed to eat any meat that is not slaughtered under halal rules even if it is not pork. Like he drives for miles out of his way to go to halal restaurants.

How is a capitalist company doing what capitalist companies do "submitting to Islam"?
It shows just how far the islamization has progressed already. And it will only continue forward with continuing mass migration from places like Afghanistan, Somalia etc.
The point is that European societies are rapidly changing, and not for the better, because of mass migration. A million Muslims invading a country of 80 million in a single year does have consequences, and most of them are very bad ones.

Speaking of gelatin, i am not one for gummy bears, but I have enjoyed jello shots on occasion, especially when I was younger. This picture unites three things anathema to religious Muslims - alcohol, gelatin and women showing more than their eyes. :)
maxresdefault.jpg

Bonus points for triggering SJWs as well, because of cultural appropriation of her costume. :)

Who said that the hijab wearing woman in the only commercial they are running? But if 1/3 of their current commercials target not just Muslims, but specifically very religious Muslims, that should tell you something.

But the gist of the 1/3 of their commercials that target very religious Muslims is that now Muslims can eat it, which they can't (or else Allah will get really mad or something) if it's made with real gelatin.

I doubt that very much.

though there are no exact numbers for either, but let's say 9% vegetarians and 6% Muslims.
That seems way too high for vegetarians. It's only 4% according to Spiegel. And I doubt most of them are doctrinaire vegetarians who would even draw a line at gelatin and abstain from Haribo.
Muslims tend to be a lot stricter. I know a Muslim guy here in Atlanta. He is not allowed to eat any meat that is not slaughtered under halal rules even if it is not pork. Like he drives for miles out of his way to go to halal restaurants.

It shows just how far the islamization has progressed already. And it will only continue forward with continuing mass migration from places like Afghanistan, Somalia etc.
The point is that European societies are rapidly changing, and not for the better, because of mass migration. A million Muslims invading a country of 80 million in a single year does have consequences, and most of them are very bad ones.

Speaking of gelatin, i am not one for gummy bears, but I have enjoyed jello shots on occasion, especially when I was younger. This picture unites three things anathema to religious Muslims - alcohol, gelatin and women showing more than their eyes. :)
maxresdefault.jpg

Bonus points for triggering SJWs as well, because of cultural appropriation of her costume. :)

Sad strange little snowflake.

If you're trying to imply that Muslims are over-represented in German ads, you should say so, though I doubt very much that you could say so in good conscience. This is one company that has one spot featuring a woman in a hijab. They didn't have one last year and probably won't next year, and there are dozens of similar companies who also don't. I'm pretty sure the big picture will show minorities underrepresented in ads.

If that's meant to be the gist, their entire marketing division needs to be fired. It's really not the message they're bringing across.

I doubt that very much.

That seems way too high for vegetarians. It's only 4% according to Spiegel.

According to your own link, it's 6.1% among women - still more than Muslims (especially since any estimate that comes out at 5-6% Muslims for Germany just counts everyone with an ethnic background from a Muslim country as "Muslim", including very secular people and the Muslim equivalent of "Taufscheinchristen"). The ad and their entire product obviously targets primarily women, so what I said -- more vegetarians than Muslims -- holds for their target audience.
More specifically, the ad and the product is primarily targeted at young women, and look what your link says about young women:

Der Spiegel said:
Am größten ist der Anteil der Vegetarier demnach in der Gruppe der 18- bis 29-Jährigen. Bei ihnen verzichtet fast jede zehnte Frau (9,2 Prozent)
(9.2% of 18-29-yo women are vegeteratians or vegans.)

And I doubt most of them are doctrinaire vegetarians who would even draw a line at gelatin and abstain from Haribo.

"I know a guy" is not an argument in a discussion about demographics. I know a quite a few people who'd have be counted as Muslims in order to get to that 5 or 6% figure (that is Bosnian Muslims or Turks, or the children of Bosnian Muslims or Turks with Muslim-sounding first names) who regularly eat pork.

I don't get it. Does an ad targeting someone not like you count as a "very bad" consequence? If not, why even mention it, it'll distract from the real "very bad" consequences.

Europe must be a great place if a gang fight with four wounded is so rare it makes it into international news.
Which US city could you say that of?
So Europe should allow unregulated mass migration until their cities look just like Chicago, St. Louis and Camden?

Also, I hope that if gangs of illegals have a gunfight over here that they are deported. But you can't do that in Europe. In Europe all illegals are considered persecuted asylum seekers. :rolleyes:

If you're trying to imply that Muslims are over-represented in German ads, you should say so, though I doubt very much that you could say so in good conscience.
I think they are somewhat, but it is also the undeniable fact that the number of Muslims in Germany (and especially of religious Muslims) has increased significantly in the last 5 years. Thus, the presence of not just Muslims in commercials, but very religious Muslims in commercials is another sign of creeping Islamization.

This is one company that has one spot featuring a woman in a hijab.
Not just them. There was a really preachy German National Railway (DB) commercial with a woman in hijab that I saw recently too. Then there is immowelt.de. Even organs of the German government are doing it.
And it's not just featuring people who happen to be Muslims. It's highlighting the oppressive, reactionary forms of Islam as something positive.

If we want to extend it to Austria, we have cosmetics company BIPA. That is about as stupid as Loreal choosing a woman who hides her hair as a brand ambassador for hair care products but that original move by Loreal is also a sign of Islamization.

They didn't have one last year and probably won't next year,
Wanna bet?

If that's meant to be the gist, their entire marketing division needs to be fired. It's really not the message they're bringing across.
Really? That's definitely the message I am getting, with the focus on religious Muslims who eschew non-halal meats and keep their womenfolk covered up.

\
According to your own link, it's 6.1% among women - still more than Muslims (especially since any estimate that comes out at 5-6% Muslims for Germany just counts everyone with an ethnic background from a Muslim country as "Muslim", including very secular people and the Muslim equivalent of "Taufscheinchristen"). The ad and their entire product obviously targets primarily women, so what I said -- more vegetarians than Muslims -- holds for their target audience.
You specifically said "more vegetarians than Muslims". You did not restrict it by subdemographics.
But if you count MINOs you have to adjust for VINOs too. :)
January-20-2012-15-31-10-meme4u.tumblr.jpeg

Note that "Rachel" is a woman and probably a young one. :)

"I know a guy" is not an argument in a discussion about demographics. I know a quite a few people who'd have be counted as Muslims in order to get to that 5 or 6% figure (that is Bosnian Muslims or Turks, or the children of Bosnian Muslims or Turks with Muslim-sounding first names) who regularly eat pork.
Bosnian Muslims tend to be more relaxed on average. The hordes from shithole countries like Afghanistan that have invaded Europe in recent years are far less so. Especially Afghanistan, where 99% support the Sharia Law, but also places like Pakistan, Somalia etc. where the Muslims are also very fundamentalist. There is a reason Katjes did not start their Hijab-campaign 20 years ago, but only now, after the mass invasion of fundy Muslims that Merkel pushed for.
1903f044b39d4ad3bf47fc28758c0539_18.jpg

I don't get it. Does an ad targeting someone not like you count as a "very bad" consequence? If not, why even mention it, it'll distract from the real "very bad" consequences.
It's a sign of creeping Islamization. How hard is it to understand that?
Once they become the majority, it will be too late.

Last edited:
Europe must be a great place if a gang fight with four wounded is so rare it makes it into international news.
So Europe should allow unregulated mass migration until their cities look just like Chicago, St. Louis and Camden?

Also, I hope that if gangs of illegals have a gunfight over here that they are deported. But you can't do that in Europe. In Europe all illegals are considered persecuted asylum seekers. :rolleyes:

So you agree that a Europe that has allegedly submitted voluntarily is still a much nicer place than anywhere in the US?

I think they are somewhat, but it is also the undeniable fact that the number of Muslims in Germany (and especially of religious Muslims) has increased significantly in the last 5 years. Thus, the presence of not just Muslims in commercials, but very religious Muslims in commercials is another sign of creeping Islamization.

You should get a treatment for your paranoia.

Not just them. There was a really preachy German National Railway (DB) commercial with a woman in hijab that I saw recently too. Then there is immowelt.de. Even organs of the German government are doing it.
And it's not just featuring people who happen to be Muslims. It's highlighting the oppressive, reactionary forms of Islam as something positive.

If we want to extend it to Austria, we have cosmetics company BIPA. That is about as stupid as Loreal choosing a woman who hides her hair as a brand ambassador for hair care products but that original move by Loreal is also a sign of Islamization.

Congratulation, you found 5-ish different sujets from five companies. If anything, you're making the point that they're underrepresented. That BIPA campaign alone probably used 20 different models with the same motto "weil ich ein Mädchen bin". I've seen them hang around town and I never even noticed the one with the hijab, I much more remember a tattooed woman and a grandma, and some manly men with the message "If only girls go to BIPA, I'm a girl too".

Wanna bet?

Really? That's definitely the message I am getting, with the focus on religious Muslims who eschew non-halal meats and keep their womenfolk covered up.
Really, get a professional to look at your paranoia.

\
You specifically said "more vegetarians than Muslims". You did not restrict it by subdemographics.
It's not that I count MINOs,, it's that one has to count MINOs in order to get a number of Muslims anywhere near, or potentially above, the number of vegetarians.

Bosnian Muslims tend to be more relaxed on average. The hordes from shithole countries like Afghanistan that have invaded Europe in recent years are far less so. Especially Afghanistan, where 99% support the Sharia Law, but also places like Pakistan, Somalia etc. where the Muslims are also very fundamentalist.

Afghan citizens in Germany, including asylum seekers, as per Dec. 31, 2016:
Somalis: 33,900
Pakistanis: 73,790

That's less than half a percent of the German population of 82.5 million between them!

There was a really preachy German National Railway (DB) commercial with a woman in hijab that I saw recently too. Then there is immowelt.de. Even organs of the German government are doing it.
Where you see Germany caving in to Islamist militancy I see ads calling for inclusivity. Why would that be a bad thing?

You come across as someone who sees the proportion of Germany's Muslims as a threat. Right now about 5.7% of the people living in Germany are Muslims. That's approximately 4.7 million people, over half of whom are also German citizens by the way. What do you think Germany would look like if only 0.1% (that would be 4700 individuals) were Islamic terrorists? That's right - daily bombings and trucks running into crowds. Not happening, is it?

Moreover, the ads are aimed at increasing sales rather than knuckling under to Islamic fundamentalism. It's capitalism at work. Cunning buggers, those capitalists seeking to maximise profit, don't you think?

You have a twisted mind, Derec. Yes, the Hijab is a symbol of oppression, but the ads are not highlighting it as something positive. On the contrary, they are celebrating the fact that underneath those Hijabs are women who want to look beautiful, eat stuff they enjoy the taste of, want to become doctors or whatever, in short, have the same desires women who don't wear Hijabs have.

There was a really preachy German National Railway (DB) commercial with a woman in hijab that I saw recently too. Then there is immowelt.de. Even organs of the German government are doing it.
Where you see Germany caving in to Islamist militancy I see ads calling for inclusivity. Why would that be a bad thing?

You come across as someone who sees the proportion of Germany's Muslims as a threat. Right now about 5.7% of the people living in Germany are Muslims.

... and that's only when you assume everyone with a Muslim family background to be a practicing Muslim.

You have a twisted mind, Derec. Yes, the Hijab is a symbol of oppression, but the ads are not highlighting it as something positive.

I wouldn't even go that far. Yes, making wearing the hijab compulsory is an act of oppression, but it's the compulsory part, not the hijab part, that makes it oppressive. On the individual level, the hijab is a symbol of whatever the individual wants it to symbolise.

I saw this clip about Iranian women dumping their hijabs. The speaker makes it very explicit that it's the compulsory or forced hijab they're opposing, not the hijab as such, by using one or the other modifier every single time the word occurs.
https://www.facebook.com/NowThisHer/videos/1204857126311827/

It doesn't matter one bit what color the people are.

The problem is one of culture.

Wanna bet?

\
January-20-2012-15-31-10-meme4u.tumblr.jpeg

Note that "Rachel" is a woman and probably a young one. :)

Bosnian Muslims tend to be more relaxed on average. The hordes from shithole countries like Afghanistan that have invaded Europe in recent years are far less so. Especially Afghanistan, where 99% support the Sharia Law, but also places like Pakistan, Somalia etc. where the Muslims are also very fundamentalist. There is a reason Katjes did not start their Hijab-campaign 20 years ago, but only now, after the mass invasion of fundy Muslims that Merkel pushed for.
1903f044b39d4ad3bf47fc28758c0539_18.jpg

It's a sign of creeping Islamization. How hard is it to understand that?
Once they become the majority, it will be too late.

So Derec, how much time do you spend, per day seeking out stuff that offends you and makes you impotently angry? Six hours, more? Because it looks to me that you have a veritable library in your computer of thing that offend your snowflake heart.
Do you think that you would be happier and more successful in your life if you did not seek out things that make you offended and angry?

DUvDmRnXUAAijBG.jpg

And FMG, honour killing, child btides, deaths to gays,and the whole shebang of sharia becomes compulsory!

Not so. The very part you quote contains the phrase "As the population declines".

Yes, the population will keep declining. But the ratio of workers to retirees will stop declining once it reaches a new equilibrium point. This is because eventually with some time lag until the people born when birth rates were still much higher have died off, the number of retirees will shrink at the same rate as the number of workers.

I am sorry that my wording isn't clear to you. In this post that you responded to I listed the four steps in my logic in as simple language as I could muster. I offered to explain any of the steps that bomb didn't understand or that he thought were wrong. I will do the same for you.

In my post I also showed a series of how the population declines with a loss in population of 5% a year.

Which is kind of irrelevant because no-one denied or failed to understand that a below-replacement fertility means a declining population (once the generation born when fertility rates were still higher has died off).

But hey, if you're allowed to calculate with a 5% pa decline for effect, do I get to calculate with a 5% growth?
After a century of declining at an annual rate of 5%, the US population will be 1.9 million (starting with 325 million). After a century of growing at 5%, the US population will be 42.7 billion. Neither is ideal, but I know which I'd prefer (and no, a more realistic rate won't make this go away, it'll just delay it by a few short centuries).

This is an extreme loss picked only because I could do the math in my head. But it would apply if the loss in population from the birth rate was a constant 0.5% a year. The birth rate is dependent on a lot of factors and may decline or may increase with a declining population. There is nothing that a declining population tells that we can say will cause the birth rate to change in either direction.

But the tendency is for all of the current factors to cause the birth rate to decline among the native born in the developed countries, meaning that the population of the native born will decline and the population will get older, burdening the younger workers with a greater burden to care for the elderly, if there is no immigration.

I don't think anyone denied that all else equal, the burden on the younger generation will be higher. What people are denying is that all else will be equal, or that immigration is the only parameter that can reasonably be tweaked.

And the ratio of 1.12 workers supporting a retiree is more than doubling the burden over today when there are about 2.9 workers for each retiree.

A lot of that increase is due to increased life expectancies alone, though. If you run the calculations with my parameters and simplifications and a fertility rate exactly at the replacement level, that is population growth rate 0.0%, you still get a ratio of 1.6 exactly. In that model, each one-year-cohort is exactly as strong as the previous one, so all we need to do is compare the 40 cohorts between ages 25-65 to the 25 cohorts 65-90. A more realistic age-dependent mortality, instead of pretending everyone drops dead on their 90th birthday, only makes things worse, though not by much as long as few people die before 65.

Indeed, even if we plug in the US's current population growth rate of 0.7% annually, the ratio is still 2.01 workers to every retiree at a 90 year life expectancy. In order to maintain a ratio of 2.9 with a life expectancy of 90 years, a growth rate of 1.8% annually is required. Conversely, if you believe that life expectancies will plateau at 80 or 85, even the declining population corresponding to a fertility rate of 1.5 will still have a workers/retirees ratio of 1.98 or 1.44 respectively.

What these calculations also ignore is that not only are the retiree cohorts numerically stronger in a declining population than the working-age cohorts, but the cohorts of children and students are weaker than the working age cohorts. These effects almost cancel each other out: If we assume a stable fertility rate high enough to guarantee an annual population growth of 1% and life expectancy of 90 years, the ratio of workers/non-workers (where non-workers include both retirees and children and full-time students, modeled as anyone below age 25 or above 65) will be 0.7629. For population declining at -1.1% annually (which is what I get for TFR of 1.5) that same figure will be 0.7547. In fact those ratios are symmetric: A positive growth rate of +1% or 101/100 produces the exact same ratio as a negative growth rate of -0.99% (=100/101), and the optimal ratio of 0.8 (40 cohorts of working age people to 25 cohorts each of children/students and retirees) is achieved only at 0.0 growth, where all cohorts are the same size. This is an artifact of the fact that our pre- and post-productive life phases are the same length (25 years before 25, 25 years after 65 till death at 90). With a lower life expectancy, children and students will be more of a burden than retirees and thus the ratio worse under a growing than a declining population.

And we could improve this ratio by increasing immigration of young workers. This is my argument.

We could. Or we could reap the fruits of productivity increases and realise that in the 21st century there's no longer any good reason why the ratio has to be high to provide everyone with a good life.

The birth rate is the running average number of children each woman has in their lifetime. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant without any migration or immigration, people leaving or entering the country. The replacement has to be above two to account for the factors you mentioned but it must always be above two.

No, the birth rate is the number of children born per year per 1000 inhabitants. What you're talking about is the total fertility rate.
Terminology aside, the replacement fertility rate can be below 2.00 under one condition: If more girls than boys are born, and the bias is strong enough to offset girls' and women's death rate before the end of fertility.

I don't follow your math, you seem to be going down the well worn path of convincing at least yourself that you are correct. The math is overburdened with your assumptions, another way of saying that you are right if you accept my assumptions.

You can just ask ;)
Which of the assumptions do you find dubious? Do you expect life expectancies to grow indefinitely, of fertility rates to decline indefinitely?

I'll explain my formula though.
At a given rate of population growth or shrinkage, the number of people born each year will be proportionally smaller than last year's number. Say the rate is -1.1% (approximately what we get with TFR 1.5 and generation span 30). If the births in year 0 are 1 unit (say a million people), the births in year 1 will be 0.989 units, and the births in year 2 0.989 x that, or 0.989^2, and so on and so forth. For every year y, the births will be 0.989^y. To find the total number of retirees, we sum over the births from 90 years ago to the births from 65 years ago. For ease of calculation, the births 90 years ago will be our unit. We thus sum over the numbers {0.989^0 ... 0.989^(90-66)}, and likewise for the workers, though here the range will start at 0.989^25 or as I expressed it 0.989^(90-65): the oldest, and most numerous, cohort of workers will already be smaller than each retiree cohort. In fact, it will be 25 years worth of a 1.1% decline smaller than our unit cohort of 90 year olds.

The problem is simple. If the birth rate is below the replacement rate, which can never go below 2.0, the population will decline without immigration. It is inherent in the definitions of the two terms. The replacement rate is the birth rate required to keep the population constant.

Thanks for telling me nothing new. But we weren't talking about keeping the population constant, we were talking about keeping the ratio of workers/non-workers constant constant.

But it doesn't matter, your conclusion is the same as mine, the ratio of workers to retirees will decline. This is sufficient to say what I am saying, the burden on each worker will increase and we can relieve this burden by increasing immigration.

Yes, there are things that we could do to mitigate the problem without immigration. We could do what civilizations have done before. We could institute polygamy. Only the wealthy can afford to have many wives and they would be less restrained by the costs of raising a child. Of course, we could suffer then from the problem of too many sexually frustrated young males willing to blow themselves up to achieve relief from the 78 virgins in heaven. And I think that polygamy isn't so much a reaction to declining birth rates as it is reflecting the desire of rich and powerful men to have sex with many different women.

But the conservative approach is to assume that everything else remains as it is. That we don't turn to polygamy, that we don't as bomb suggested increase the retirement age to lower the mortality age at retirement by working people to death.

This is wrong. What automation does first of foremost is increase the amount of products produced without a proportional increase in the size of the workforce, or no increase at all. I don't want to go into that same old derail with Bomb#20 about the labor theory of value, and fortunately I don't have to: Simple suppy-and-demand reasoning will tell you that producers will have to make their products cheaper relative to wages in order to find buyers in that scenario. The only situation in which this isn't so is if supply is upper-bound due to relying on a scarce natural ressource. If that's what you're basing your reasoning upon, you are the Malthusian, not Bomb#20. Also, in that case, population growth would surely make the situation worse.

I am the all time champion of economic theory derails.

I will try to minimize that to answer this, but it is hard for me.

My statement that automation isn't the answer for this problem is based on the conditions that exist today continuing. Here are those conditions,

<snipped long-winding discussion which might be relevant directed at a defender of neoliberalism, but you're barking up the wrong tree>

The reason that a worker can't pay 90% of his income in payroll taxes is because the workers are not sharing in the rewards from automation. It is now the aim of our current economic policy to pass all of the gains from all of the growth in the economy to the already wealthy. Both you and bomb seem reluctant to acknowledge this point but seem to ignore it rather than to offer your reasons to oppose it.

If I understand you correctly, you're admitting that automation has the potential to allow everyone to have a high living standard despite a declining ratio of workforce/adult population but contending that this potential isn't being actualised because of how neoliberal economies prioritise production and organise distribution of the produce. Is that a fair paraphrase?

If so, I don't see how what you're proposing - to keep the ratio artificially high in order to not have to address those priorities - is any different from a man who keeps throwing more and more fuel into the fireplace to fight the chill while ignoring the open windows.

And to stick with this analogy, he's already low on fuel and will soon be starting to burn the furniture: Continued exponential growth is not a feasible long-term solution due to rather simple math. You can call me a Malthusian till the cows come home, but the fact remains that, at a continued exponential growth of just 1% per year, the population multiplies by a factor of 2.7 per century, 20959 per millennium, and over 9 trillion in 3000 years, still well within the timescales of human civilisation. Starting with todays population of 7.6 billion and assuming an average human to have 50kg, half of the earth's mass, liquid iron core and all, will be human flesh by the year 5018.

I'm very much not a Malthusian in that I accept the empirical evidence that this is not in fact happening, that population growth is already slowing down at an encouraging speed globally and the population likely will peak within the century, early next century at the latest. But his math was right, it's his assumptions that were wrong. Continued exponential growth is a mathematical impossibility in a universe with a finite maximum speed and a finite number of dimensions, much more so within any one country.

It didn't sink in that you were calculating the ratio of workers to retirees, my bad, it has finally sunk in. Yes, this will stabilize over a long period of time, long after the baby boomers and the baby boomers' babies have died. But I was talking about the immediate problem that the Germans have faced for half a century and that we are facing now. You are saying that the problem will get not so bad in say forty to fifty years, so let's just humor the xenophobia in the country until then and not go with the obvious solution that we all agree will solve the problem because you think that Malthus was right and while it hasn't been proven in the last two centuries any day now it will be and we would rue the day that we let in legal immigrants.

Is that a reasonable summary of your position and mine?

You and Bomb#20 before seem to be having a great deal of trouble with the concept of all things being equal. It is short for all other things (factors) being equal to what they are today. This means that what I saying is that the factors that go into the population question like girl/boy ratio of births and the who benefits from the installation of automation, now the owners and not the workers, will continue as they are today. I can't explain it any better than this. Possibly you could explain what you think that the phrase means and we can better understand the differences.

The rest seems to be hand waving, like the different units for the birth rate and the fertility rate, that doesn't cry out for a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom