• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Federal troops helping suppress protests in Portland OR

Not their actual name, but BADGE # ID, 100% agree with that.

Then a subpoena to get the badge ID matched to name in the event of a misconduct investigation.

Badge number is identifying information in my book.

What I would like to see is to go farther--other than in special situations no ID, you're not a cop, any actions you take will be evaluated as if a civilian did them.

Yeah, only if you are carrying out a pre-approved via warrant raid by stealth should that be allowed. Like a financial company, hit them so fast that they can't nuke their hard drives and thumb drives.

Where gun control largely means reasonable regulations and making military style assault weapons illegal.

No. There is quite a variety of things people consider "gun control". I hate the term because it has nothing resembling a consistent meaning.

Last night there was a demonstration that by all accounts was peaceful.

When they left anoter group came in immediately attcking busness, harassing people, and painting grafitee.

A store was set on fire.

Someone in my building was in a QFC supermarket near the center. The store ordered everybody out and locked the doors. He got on the Broadway streetcar to get back home but it was stuck there for 39 minutes. Rioters, not demonstrators, were banging on the streetcar.

As far as I am concerned bring in the National Guard to regain control of the streets.

The problem is that the efforts to restore order are directed at the protesters, not the scumbags that follow.

When they left anoter group came in immediately attcking busness, harassing people, and painting grafitee.

A store was set on fire.

Someone in my building was in a QFC supermarket near the center. The store ordered everybody out and locked the doors. He got on the Broadway streetcar to get back home but it was stuck there for 39 minutes. Rioters, not demonstrators, were banging on the streetcar.

As far as I am concerned bring in the National Guard to regain control of the streets.

It seems clear with what is going on in Seattle and Portland it is clear there is a coordinated effort to keep the chos going. Anachists and oters have alwaysbeen lurking and are using the opportunity.

Every year since the WTO in the 90s ANIFA and Blac Block show in their black Ninja clothes with improvised weapns and fire bombs.

The actions of federal agents in Portland is cleasrly illegal, they have no autirity to enforce local laws, only direct violations of federal law.

The media is highlighting the federal actions as abuse, and rightly so. But still no real criticism and calls for action to retore order.

Tonight a small demonstration passed our building. Someone with a mid eastern voice was shouting free a number of Arab prisoners followed by 'we say what justice is'.

The sad part of it is that all the good feelings that developed quickly will erode as violence continues.

Portend's mayor said demonstrators will not be arrested when things het out of control. Thwart says it all.

If this were white rights wing protestors it would be put down quickly.

Media is focused rightly on Trunp's abuse of power, but ;lack of tgrasparency and violence is hetting a pass on the streets.

For one thing suppression of the press by demonstrators/rioters.

Don't know what is going on in Seattle but that is not in any way what is happening in Portland

Are you being serious? You don't think there are plenty of clear cases where cops are not necessary?

Monday morning quarterback again.

We often don't know the whole story when the call comes in.

What the fuck is wrong with your brain? Those would be cases where police were in fact warranted. You are unequivocally stating that in every single with no exceptions case that police are sent to a call that there is no way to ever tell if the situation might turn life threatening. I really can't honor that with anything but saying that is something only an idiot would say.

The situation is just as uncertain every time you get behind the wheel or cross the street.

Are you being serious? You don't think there are plenty of clear cases where cops are not necessary?

Monday morning quarterback again.

We often don't know the whole story when the call comes in.

Recently down in Florida, there was a case of a kangaroo that got loose. 4 cop cars showed up to rope the animal and take it to animal control. Who couldn't that have been handled by animal control from start to finish?

They didn’t shoot the hell out of it? It could have had something in its pouch.

Only after the fact? So, in every case when a cop is called, there is a potential situation requiring violence? That sure sounds wrong. And biased

The point is we don't know.

The point is only an idiot would say we don't know. We absolutely can know in a huge portion of the cases and your utter stupidity here is something you need to go meditate on and come back when you see it.

Since it is difficult to convince potential abusers to announce their plans in advance to the police, I would suggest hiring psychic 911 operators. If they 'sense' that the disturbance is a mother and son loudly arguing about the son cleaning his room then they can dispatch a social worker to negotiate a resolution. If they 'sense' the disturbance is a home invasion then they can dispatch the police.

or, you know, if the caller says the disturbance is a mother and son loudly arguing about the son cleaning his room then they can dispatch a social worker to negotiate a resolution.

And people always tell the truth when calling the police??

Sorry, but when it's mental health they often do not--they're in denial about how bad the situation is. They also deliberately downplay the problem at times to try to keep the police from using force.

This level of stupidity is simply pathethic

DHS Employees Worried Portland Response Is Destroying Agency’s Reputation - "We have a lot of work ahead in terms of repairing the public’s trust."
But conversations with 17 DHS employees, all of whom requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, reveal that many at the agency disagree with the show of force. Some called for an investigation, while others said they feared the long-term consequences for the agency’s reputation.

“Despite working at DHS, I watch and learn about every day’s new descent into lawlessness and authoritarianism just like the rest of the world,” one employee said. “Being a part of this corrupt regime, even as I play no role in the decision-making process, leaves me disgusted by my employer and saddened for my country.”

Many employees believe the deployment was directly connected to President Donald Trump’s reelection efforts and was politicizing the agency.

“This administration’s utterly transparent fearmongering of sending federal officers out against peaceful protesters in Portland and Chicago has no purpose other than to support Trump’s reelection bid. It is blatantly unconstitutional and an embarrassment to the agency and the career civil servants who work here,” said one employee.

“I did not sign up nor was I trained to be a street cop,” said one DHS employee who had not been deployed but had reservations of others being sent there. “Civil societies have immigration laws that need to be enforced, but that does not mean we should be used as this delusional president’s personal attack dog just because we happen to be available.”

Another DHS employee said the way the department was going about the effort “absolutely hurts the reputation of the agency. Most people have no clue what we do, but now they will have this ham-fisted response in their mind as they think about CBP.”

So he's officially declaring war on the Democratic Party? With, like, soldiers and guns? We gonna do something about that, or what?
For the first time in my life, I'm thinking about purchasing a firearm and getting a conceal carry permit.

I hate this fucking timeline.

You can't realistically defend yourself against the gestapo because they come in packs.
You're the one that's always defending gun ownership as the best thing evar!

Or is that only for shooting black people in your opinion?

Also, I'm not too worried about them coming in packs, I'll take more of them out even if I die in the process.

I'm thinking more of the "if I see it happening to someone else" though.

A store was set on fire.

It seems clear with what is going on in Seattle and Portland it is clear there is a coordinated effort to keep the chos going. Anachists and oters have alwaysbeen lurking and are using the opportunity.

Every year since the WTO in the 90s ANIFA and Blac Block show in their black Ninja clothes with improvised weapns and fire bombs.

The actions of federal agents in Portland is cleasrly illegal, they have no autirity to enforce local laws, only direct violations of federal law.

The media is highlighting the federal actions as abuse, and rightly so. But still no real criticism and calls for action to retore order.

Tonight a small demonstration passed our building. Someone with a mid eastern voice was shouting free a number of Arab prisoners followed by 'we say what justice is'.

The sad part of it is that all the good feelings that developed quickly will erode as violence continues.

Portend's mayor said demonstrators will not be arrested when things het out of control. Thwart says it all.

Media is focused rightly on Trunp's abuse of power, but ;lack of tgrasparency and violence is hetting a pass on the streets.

Don't know what is going on in Seattle but that is not in any way what is happening in Portland
Seattle has a large contingent of right wing trump fellators. My money is on them going in after the fact specifically to cause trouble. It works, because it gets people like steve here to blame all the protestors.

Recently down in Florida, there was a case of a kangaroo that got loose. 4 cop cars showed up to rope the animal and take it to animal control. Who couldn't that have been handled by animal control from start to finish?

It had a conceal carry permit.

A store was set on fire.

Seattle has a large contingent of right wing trump fellators. My money is on them going in after the fact specifically to cause trouble. It works, because it gets people like steve here to blame all the protestors.

I was just going to say that. A bunch of Proud bois, 3 percenters, etc., hear there's a demonstration going on. "Let's get to work, guys."

After the fact... absolutely it is easy to determine that the cop wasn't needed.

Only after the fact? So, in every case when a cop is called, there is a potential situation requiring violence? That sure sounds wrong. And biased

One has to be pretty stupid after so many facts, not to see what's coming from the beginning of the 10,000th similar incident.

WRT Portland, I know that there’ve been continued confrontations between the federal “troops” and protesters, but I heard that DHS acknowledged that their officers did not have sufficient training on making arrests. So have they at least stopped the snatch and grab technique? Or is that still going on?

From my limited observation, it appears that they were acting like border agents typically do. They find illegal immigrants and immediately detain them. But I wonder if someone high up in DHS approved such policies.

WRT Portland, I know that there’ve been continued confrontations between the federal “troops” and protesters, but I heard that DHS acknowledged that their officers did not have sufficient training on making arrests. So have they at least stopped the snatch and grab technique? Or is that still going on?

From my limited observation, it appears that they were acting like border agents typically do. They find illegal immigrants and immediately detain them. But I wonder if someone high up in DHS approved such policies.

Correction: They find brown-skinned people and harass and detain them, then find out later whether they were citizens or not. I have never heard of an ICE agent pausing to investigate someone's citizenship claims prior to detaining them, they believe themselves to be entirely above the reach of the law with respect to their own actions. If someone insists as they are being arrested that they are, in fact, a citizen, they're now subject to further abuse and possibly even legal action for "resisting", even if their citizenship is later proven.

didn't NEED to have anything in its pouch... everyone knows that race is pugilistic. It's paws are deadly weapons - so they should have shot on sight.

Correction: They find brown-skinned people and harass and detain them, then find out later whether they were citizens or not. I have never heard of an ICE agent pausing to investigate someone's citizenship claims prior to detaining them, they believe themselves to be entirely above the reach of the law with respect to their own actions. If someone insists as they are being arrested that they are, in fact, a citizen, they're now subject to further abuse and possibly even legal action for "resisting", even if their citizenship is later proven.

OK, but my question still stands, is it still going on in Portland?

A store was set on fire.

There are a lot of infiltrators in the pdx crowds too. The problem is that the crowds are overwhelmingly the regular/average citizens of the city, from restaurant workers to civil engineers to teachers and real estate agents etc. and are well aware that we have a stake in the city. Self policing among the crowd is fairly easy because we have a broad common understanding

Back
Top Bottom