• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ferguson Live Feed

What happened to Wilson's broken orbital socket?

Also, yeah, those injuries look worthy of a death sentence.

The problem of course is that this wasn't the actual trial. Such injuries do stir reasonable doubt in the minds of jurors.

Just like to say that I am a little uneasy about things I posted in this thread. I didn't think things would turn out this way and wanted to mock those who were looking forward to "a good ol'fashioned riot with looting". Also my American Tourister post can be seen as racially insensitive. I apologize to all the baggage handlers and anyone else who may be offended.

The problem of course is that this wasn't the actual trial. Such injuries do stir reasonable doubt in the minds of jurors.

What's that have to do with a grand jury? As far as I know grand juries don't have the "reasonable doubt" bar.

Famous last words:
"You are too much of a pussy to shoot me" is apparently what Michael Brown said to Wilson when he went for his gun. I guess he was wrong about that ...

Last edited:

Grand juries are not about reasonable doubt but probable cause
The  grand jury's accusatory function is to determine whether or not there is probable cause to believe that one or more persons committed a certain offense within the venue of the district court.
The prosecuter is the sole attorney presenting, leading to the saying, "The DA can indict a ham sandwich."

What's that have to do with a grand jury? As far as I know grand juries don't have the "reasonable doubt" bar.
No, it's "probable cause". But given all the evidence, including witnesses saying that Brown charged Wilson, I do not think even that threshold was met and thus the "no true bill" was entirely justified.

My prediction as to what comes next: Holder will not seek federal charges against Wilson. Black race warriors will call him a race traitor. Crump will file a multi-million dollar "wrongful death" civil suit against Wilson and the City of Ferguson. Torts are a crapshoot but I hope the civil jury sees reason and rules against the plaintiffs.

"Natalie DuBose just had her cake business destroyed. Is this what justice looks like, #Ferguson?"
Luckily for her, it doesn't seem to be destroyed, just damaged and looted, as she is talking here about scrambling to fill her orders for Thanksgiving.
But many businesses were destroyed, which means that many people will be out of a job as well and many of those businesses will not rebuild either, damaging the neighborhood in the long run.
But do the professional revolutionists care? I guess not.

I found the prosecutor's press conference delivery to remain extremely vague. To include his seeming avoidance in addressing a question focusing on "which piece of evidence convinced the Jury....". He sounded more like a defense attorney commenting on his client's successful outcome than a prosecutor.

As CNN just now was communication excerpts of Wilson's testimony,it appears to be a series of comments where Wilson's goal is to justify how much he was in fear of his own life AFTER Michael Brown ran and allegedly started "charging" him. Preceded by his description of his "feeling like a 5 year old hanging on to Hogan Hulk" during the struggle with Brown while in the car and how "his face looked like a demon". Hyperbolic language building towards impressing on the Grand Jury members that he had justified cause to expect that Brown would attack him and kill him while he was allegedly "charging" him and no alternative but resort to fatal shots.

What I would like to see is if whether there was any visual witness who confirmed the claim made by Wilson that Brown was "charging" him at the time of Wilson's fatal shooting. By the time those fatal shots occurred, Brown had already been hit several times.

Essentially,what we have here is a police officer fully aware that how he described his feelings and emotions to the Grand Jury was essential to convince them that he had no alternative but use lethal force during the period of time Brown was running away. Further, it appears that forensic evidence confirms none of the bullets'e entry were from the back but the front. Meaning Brown was indeed facing Wilson when the fatal shots occurred. However, it cannot be confused for evidence that Brown was "charging" Wilson or evidence that Wilson was truthful when testifying he had ordered Brown to get down on the ground twice prior to the fatal shots and Brown was "charging" him.

It appears to me that what motivated the GJ's return of no indictment is that there was no "probable cause". IMO an indictment based on "mere suspicion" versus "probable cause" is probably not part of a Grand Jury's duties. Meaning that even if 9 or more of the GJ members had a mere suspicion that Wilson's testimony was not truthful, it would not suffice for them for justify an indictment.

Thoughts?

I found the prosecutor's press conference delivery to remain extremely vague. To include his seeming avoidance in addressing a question focusing on "which piece of evidence convinced the Jury....".
I do not think that was vague at all. He explained that he wasn't party to jury deliberations. So a question as to what convinced the jury is beyond his ability to know.
He sounded more like a defense attorney commenting on his client's successful outcome than a prosecutor.
I think that it was pretty clear that McCulloch didn't think that an indictment was warranted. Prosecutors decline to prosecute cases all the time and there is no duty to go after every criminal complaint that comes their way. I am sure that if this wasn't a high profile case with international attention that it would not even have come to the grand jury.

As CNN just now was communication excerpts of Wilson's testimony,it appears to be a series of comments where Wilson's goal is to justify how much he was in fear of his own life AFTER Michael Brown ran and allegedly started "charging" him. Preceded by his description of his "feeling like a 5 year old hanging on to Hogan Hulk" during the struggle with Brown while in the car and how "his face looked like a demon". Hyperbolic language building towards impressing on the Grand Jury members that he had justified cause to expect that Brown would attack him and kill him while he was allegedly "charging" him and no alternative but resort to fatal shots.
We can't independently confirm or falsify how Wilson himself felt at the time. He would have also been the only one who saw Brown's face and whether it was full of rage ("Hulk smash!"). So whether he was truthful, hyperbolic or outright lying, we have no way of knowing.

What I would like to see is if whether there was any visual witness who confirmed the claim made by Wilson that Brown was "charging" him at the time of Wilson's fatal shooting. By the time those fatal shots occurred, Brown had already been hit several times.
According to McCulloch's summary there were. I haven't gone through the witness statements that have been released but I am sure people will.

Essentially,what we have here is a police officer fully aware that how he described his feelings and emotions to the Grand Jury was essential to convince them that he had no alternative but use lethal force during the period of time Brown was running away. Further, it appears that forensic evidence confirms none of the bullets'e entry were from the back but the front. Meaning Brown was indeed facing Wilson when the fatal shots occurred. However, it cannot be confused for evidence that Brown was "charging" Wilson or evidence that Wilson was truthful when testifying he had ordered Brown to get down on the ground twice prior to the fatal shots and Brown was "charging" him.
It does, however, conclusively falsify those witnesses who claimed that Brown was shot in the back. Those were the witnesses that were interviewed by the media early on and helped shape the media narrative that led us to the present ugly situation with riots and looting and violence.

It appears to me that what motivated the GJ's return of no indictment is that there was no "probable cause". IMO an indictment based on "mere suspicion" versus "probable cause" is probably not part of a Grand Jury's duties. Meaning that even if 9 or more of the GJ members had a mere suspicion that Wilson's testimony was not truthful, it would not suffice for them for justify an indictment.
That is true. "Probable cause" is a safeguard against charging people with crimes willy-nilly based on mere suspicion.

I agree with ksen. The law enforcement class (police and prosecutors) are loathe to act against one of their own. It takes an extreme situation for them to even consider such activity. And when they do ... Mike Nifong spent a whole day in jail for his crimes. One whole fucking day. Bringing an indictment (not even a show trial or a suspended sentence but just an indictment) is more than they want to do to one of their own, even though they can indict anybody at any time. An indictment is simply the prosecutor saying "I accuse you" but passing the buck to a grand jury. And has been shown, grand juries almost always do what the prosecutors say, they are a rubber stamp. The prosecutor didn't want to prosecute a fellow member of his class.

As for the looting, we have protestors pulling looters out of shops and we have police mysteriously absent from wherever the looting is. It's not like the law enforcement cartel has ever used any undercover agent provocateurs.

Really, this is bad news for everyone, as the police are already going out of control. Some might see this as a race issue that encompasses non-police into the elite class, but it really isn't. People of all races that aren't police are in greater danger as a result of this. This is not the open season on black people that some may have hoped for.

My thought is that prosecutors are able to get an indictment basically 100% of the time . . . unless it is against a police officer. That raises questions for me.
High grand jury indictment rate is due in large part to prosecutors exercise discretion as to what cases to bring forward in the first place. Most weak cases get weeded out way before the formal "probable cause" (either grand jury or hearing before the judge) stage. That discretion was preempted in this case due to all the media attention.

Prosecutors usually only present enough evidence to establish probable cause and not everything including the kitchen sink. Yet this prosecutor did the latter.

He failed at his job because he didn't even try to get an indictment.

Prosecutors usually only present enough evidence to establish probable cause and not everything including the kitchen sink. Yet this prosecutor did the latter.
Prosecutors are usually convinced of the case they bring forward for indictment. McCulloch obviously wasn't.
On the contrary, he presented all the evidence and let the jury come to a conclusion.

Prosecutors are usually convinced of the case they bring forward for indictment. McCulloch obviously wasn't.

Then he's a craven who shouldn't be in the position he's in.

On the contrary, he presented all the evidence and let the jury come to a conclusion.

Right, he failed at his job.

I found the prosecutor's press conference delivery to remain extremely vague. To include his seeming avoidance in addressing a question focusing on "which piece of evidence convinced the Jury....". He sounded more like a defense attorney commenting on his client's successful outcome than a prosecutor.
He was definitely being measured. What I didn't like what the vagueness about what initially happened and then the final confrontation. Testimony indicated Brown was full charge... or leaning over.

Yeah. Granted, he may have legitimately felt that way if a large guy is going after you. What I don't understand is why he chased after the guy he was scared of, instead of waiting for backup.

Wilson may not be held criminally liable, but he committed a number of mistakes that help precipitate Brown's death.

Then he's a craven who shouldn't be in the position he's in.
Discretion is a vital part of a prosecutor's job.

- - - Updated - - -

Wilson may not be held criminally liable, but he committed a number of mistakes that help precipitate Brown's death.
Fades in comparison to the mistakes Brown committed that helped precipitate Brown's death.
B3SwMMQIgAAI7rz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom