• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Floriduh...

Which is a very long winded way of saying that it is natural, if unhelpful for people to hope to spare their children the 'burden' of dealing with past traumas, whether they are traumas within the family or within our nation.
I don't think there's anything "natural" about this very dangerous tendency. Observe that it is not the victims of trauma, but the perpetrators of trauma who are demanding our collective amnesia on their behalf. Why, if this is really about "protection"?
Of course it is natural—as natural as wanting to be seen in the best light possible, of wanting to be worthy of your child’s love and respect. A parent must serve as many things to their hind, including as an example worthy of listening to, because how else will the child learn right from wrong?

Please note that I do not say that ‘natural’ means right or correct or perfect or even good. It is not the mindset that I had when I raised my own family. But it is something that I recognize in my parents. I know that my parents only told us partial histories of their own childhoods—partly or perhaps wholly because they did not want us to fear or despise some family members. My father was raised in very difficult circumstances. I knew his father was ‘rough in him’ but I was an adult before I comprehended that my grandfather was physically abusive—although beating the daylights out of your child for disobeying or making a mistake was not considered abuse in the days of my father’s childhood. I knew my grandfather as a sweet man who adored his grandchildren and sneaked us treats when my dad’s stepmother wasn’t looking. I am not sorry that is the memory and image I have of my grandfather instead of the one of him as a desperate, overwhelmed father struggling to raise his sons under very difficult conditions where small mistakes or a little waste meant going hungry and large ones could mean starvation. I am sorry that I didn’t have more of that context when I was a teenager because I might have understood my father better, although I would have disagreed with him. There are things from my childhood and teen years I will never tell my child seen, for some of the same reasons my parents didn’t tell me the worst of their childhoods: I wanted my kids to love their grandparents. Now it seems irrelevant. My kids are grown; their grandparents are dead. Am I ready got it wrong? How much of my childhood traumas do my kids need to know?

Obviously I wrote the above with respect to my own personal life. But I think many of the motivations are the same: some of it is ignorance. My parents didn’t hide US history from us: they just did t know a lot of it. I’m certain of that because I know what I was and was not taught—and my education was much better than my parents’ generation. They lived through very difficult, even ugly times. They wanted to leave that behind them and not let sins of of the past contaminate what they hoped were better futures for their children.

There is a line from To Kill A Mockingbird: “Let the dead bury the dead.” It’s a sentiment that in various ways permeated the thinking of my parents’

I’m not suggesting that this was the right way to deal with ugly aspects of our history. I am trying to explain why, on certain levels, past generations did what they did with regards to teaching the history. I think that it is much, much better to be as open and honest about the bad and the ugly, not just the good and the admirable,

Of course it is true and has always been true that history is written by the victors. And those in power are heavily invested in maintaining the status quo. Even if there is little power and not that great a status quo.

We think today about how terrible certain things are. I realize enough about my parent’ generation to know that for most of the US, comparatively speaking, we have things so much easier than did the generations before us. The Great Recession was nothing compared with the Great Depression. Viet Nam, Iraq and Afghanistan were not as damaging to people in the US as WW I and Ii.

I don't think there's anything "natural" about this very dangerous tendency.

Of course it is natural—as natural as wanting to be seen in the best light possible, of wanting to be worthy of your child’s love and respect.

Lots of really nasty and cruel behaviours are natural.

It's natural, but very badly wrong, to assume that "natural" is synonymous with (or at least has significant overlap with) "good".

Natural means having fifteen children, (three of whom survive to have children of their own) before dying at the age of twenty eight from dysentery, having spent the vast majority of those twenty eight years hungry, cold, and miserable.

Anything better than that in life is unnatural, and it's pretty damn good.

Lots of really nasty and cruel behaviours are natural.

It's natural, but very badly wrong, to assume that "natural" is synonymous with (or at least has significant overlap with) "good".
I have no illusions about the benevolence of the natural, but I also dislike it when people handwave their own behavior away as excuseable because it is "natural" and therefore by implication inevitable or unavoidable when in fact it is neither.

You mention dysentery as "natural", for instance, but it's nothing of the sort. The Shigella bacterium that causes it exists in nature, yes, and there have been occasional outbreaks for as long as we've been dwelling in cities, but it became a serious pandemic contagion in the 19th century because of a host of social decisions that could have been made differently and later on were made differently, resulting in a serious curbing of the disease in the present.

People who threw up their hands and said "it's natural to lose half your kids to illness, what are you going to do" were worse than useless. Whereas, a few thousand much more helpful people effectively solved the problem. The only humans worth talking about are the ones who, upon encountering a problem, roll up their sleeves and set to work on solving it.

Of course it is natural—as natural as wanting to be seen in the best light possible, of wanting to be worthy of your child’s love and respect.
Then be worthy of it. If your children only respect you because they've never really met you, that's a ticking time bomb at best.

Then be worthy of it. If your children only respect you because they've never really met you, that's a ticking time bomb at best.
People carry a lot of shame sometimes, for things that were never their fault or under their control. Not all of those things that feel
shameful actually are shameful. It is easy to judge other people for keeping secrets if you ignore the burden that knowing such secrets can impose on those entirely innocent.

I found that after I had been a parent for a while, I felt much more compassion for my parents’ struggles. I still disagreed with much of their philosophies and attitudes—and sometimes respected them all the more for what they achieved.

Peoples attitudes have changed dramatically over the past couple of generations. What used to be kept silent, if not totally hidden, can now be spoken of openly. Mostly this is a good thing.

It’s important to keep in mind that secrets are usually kept out of fear and shame. Also the desire to hold into power and control. It’s easier to recognize the desire for power and control. But we need to remember that sometimes secrets are kept out of fear and shame. And the desire to protect one’s children. However misplaced those feelings might be. might

as natural as wanting to be seen in the best light possible, of wanting to be worthy of your child’s love and respect
The problem is that these are at odds with one another, to want to be seen in the best light and to be worthy of being seen in a good light at all.

The worthy parents do not hide their flaws using "the best light", but by using the harsh and oft unforgiving light of day, even if it's unkind to their complexion, even if it makes them burst into open flames at it's touch... Especially then, even.

The way of being worthy of their love and respect, to be worthy of being listened to, is to be willing to say even that which is unflattering simply because it is true and necessary and right to say, and to hide neither your work or continuing uncertainty.

Hiding the past from children does not actually cancel its effects.

What do all these parents think their kids are going to do once they inevitably find out all the things their parents have been lying to them about? Say "thank you" and go on with the Elks Club meeting?
The idea is to get the attitudes ingrained before they discover the truth.

What do all these parents think their kids are going to do once they inevitably find out all the things their parents have been lying to them about? Say "thank you" and go on with the Elks Club meeting?
The idea is to get the attitudes ingrained before they discover the truth.
I think that’s right. And the “attitude” they want to ingrain is to fear and hate black people.

Mackenzie Hayes was an employee of the second judicial circuit of Florida, working for Jack Campbell’s State Attorney’s Office (SAO) as a prosecutor. Mackenzie tells her story and shocking details of racism in the second judicial circuits office with Our Tallahassee, including a memo that directs staff to offer harsher penalties for Hispanic people.

It might make a fabulous gift to the Florida Democratic Party though.

Get out and vote or those people are going to eliminate your choice completely.
One of the big problems the Dems have is that while a majority of voters lean towards them, they're drawn from low turnout demographics. Young people, black people, low income people, demographics that don't reliably vote at all.
"Keep Your Vote!" might make a great "get out the vote" campaign slogan.
Tom
In florida that' s not the issue. The problem is this state is so badly gerrymandered, we have not voice.

FDR tried to expand the Supreme Court so he could pack it with judges who would not contest his agenda.

Boht sdes use the same tactics if they can get away with it.

More recently I believe it was democratic Gerrymandering in NY.

Jefferson observed polarization beginning right from the start.
Fuck that! This isn't remotely similar. The GOP in FL is acting like it is trying to become a dictatorship.
Trying???? Their latest is to completely strip power from local governments to enact or enforce their local regulations (including environmental protection).
For instance, most beach municipalities have light restrictions to aid the sea turtles (they are confused by lights when they hatch and will run in the wrong direction). This proposes that any business can challenge it and the STATE has final say AND, while it's pending, they DO NOT HAVE TO ABIDE. This effectively takes ALL power away from local government.

And I'm all for if a parent doesn't want THEIR child to view something, allowing them to opt out. What I'm against is denying every OTHER child the right to see the film or read the book. I fucking HATE florida.

And I'm all for if a parent doesn't want THEIR child to view something, allowing them to opt out.
I'm not even willing to go that far. It's not a very stable situation we have these days, trying to let parents edit their children's school experiences line by line.
Yeah... I think that some education, especially education on "this is how the cycle of life works", just needs to absolutely be mandatory.

Kids at a bare minimum need the understanding and vocabulary of terms and ideas that allow them to clearly express when they are being sexually abused.

It is the biggest, best, most important weapon against abuse, to be able to actually describe and contextualize abuse that has happened.

I'm pretty sure immediate removal of children from such situations is warranted, but it should be a red flag to CPS at the very least.

And if a kid gets moved between schools right at that time, the new school should either require the student to sit in that class, or get proof of it's completion from the prior school, and attempts to circumvent it should be another red flag.

And I'm all for if a parent doesn't want THEIR child to view something, allowing them to opt out.
I'm not even willing to go that far. It's not a very stable situation we have these days, trying to let parents edit their children's school experiences line by line.
I'm willing to throw them a bone. But in theory, I don't disagree.

Back
Top Bottom