• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pinned Folding team - The Godless Ones

Denotes a thread or post that is permanently displayed at the top of the subforum.
My productivity took a dive this weekend - summer is still hanging on here, and the office was closed up with no a/c, so two of my three machines shut down due to overheating.

Dog hair on the heat sinks doesn't help either.

I keep forgetting to unpause the F@H client when I'm not using my PC. Derp.

oh come on you're not that old are you? It's an extraordinary use of technology. Think like a young person, just as an experiment

Yeah, I'm that old. I witnessed the births of both  Mary Kay and  Herbalife and I know what's at stake in  Three-card Monte.
I think you might not have understood. From what I gather people here are not super wealthy but just basically good people who love science and want to contribute. These are just alternative ways to fold that can "earn" you curecoins or gridcoins as you fold. These can be converted to cash.

For reasons that probably aren't important here, people will swap US dollars for Gridcoins or Curecoins. If you fold and earn Gridcoins or Curecoins it probably won't make you rich (though it could if they followed the same trajectory as Bitcoin, which is far less likely), but it might help pay your power bill.
You don't have to drink the bitcoin koolaid, only to cash in the coins. Heck, you could even donate them to talkfreethought. IIDB and I guess here used to have us the special link when linking to Amazon to help the site, so...well.

Has anyone here ever thought about contributing to their power bill by using these when they fold?
http://www.gridcoin.us/
https://www.curecoin.net/

If anyone does I'd be happy to help, and I don't want to make anything from it.

Sounds like BitCoin stuff. The first one sounds awfully complicated.
Yes, they probably only suit real techies with at least a vague interest in this stuff. Or cyberpunks :)
These are alternative bitcoins. And yes, it's a little complicated which is why I offered

Yeah, I'm that old. I witnessed the births of both  Mary Kay and  Herbalife and I know what's at stake in  Three-card Monte.
I think you might not have understood. From what I gather people here are not super wealthy but just basically good people who love science and want to contribute. These are just alternative ways to fold that can "earn" you curecoins or gridcoins as you fold. These can be converted to cash.

For reasons that probably aren't important here, people will swap US dollars for Gridcoins or Curecoins. If you fold and earn Gridcoins or Curecoins it probably won't make you rich (though it could if they followed the same trajectory as Bitcoin, which is far less likely), but it might help pay your power bill.
You don't have to drink the bitcoin koolaid, only to cash in the coins. Heck, you could even donate them to talkfreethought. IIDB and I guess here used to have us the special link when linking to Amazon to help the site, so...well.

I understand. bitwhatevers are anchored to some sort of transaction which cooperating individuals use for exchange. Drinking the koolaid IS using the unregulated bitwhatevers. Sticking with good old Dollar, Dollar, and Pound, depending. No regulation, no control, no safety. Show me the regulatory agency and their means of verifying transactions and then we'll talk.

Instead of playing an imaginary market use a little real coin and get a  GeForce 900 series video card and fold at over 300k points per day. That would really do something for advancing molecule manipulation knowledge.

Dang, I missed it! Apparently, sometime back around the 10th of this month, our team reached the 200 million point level. Anyway, congrats to the whole team. Nicely done. Go team!

Well after a complete reboot of all systems it seems we're getting back to our new normal after the recent Stanford big bounce. If things continue as they are today it looks as if we'll be back to about 500k points a day by this weekend. I suggest bigfield try a re-setup as well. Gotta thank Wooly Bear, aka known as elferoz, aka my son for his work getting to what happened. At first, given those affected it seemed GRU's were being either restricted or redefined by FAH. Turns out is was more of a time lag effect arising from slowly falling behind by interacting computers in the point counting subsystem caused most of us to need redo our settings from scratch.

Well after a complete reboot of all systems it seems we're getting back to our new normal after the recent Stanford big bounce. If things continue as they are today it looks as if we'll be back to about 500k points a day by this weekend. I suggest bigfield try a re-setup as well. Gotta thank Wooly Bear, aka known as elferoz, aka my son for his work getting to what happened. At first, given those affected it seemed GRU's were being either restricted or redefined by FAH. Turns out is was more of a time lag effect arising from slowly falling behind by interacting computers in the point counting subsystem caused most of us to need redo our settings from scratch.
Thanks, will do.

Just switched over from some Boinc projects - I'm on as HammerSquirrel

Thanks for the welcome - lots of green on the team overtake :sneaky:

What hardware are you running? Multiple high-end GPU cores and no CPU's? You've accumulated a huge number of points with a tiny number of work units.

What hardware are you running? Multiple high-end GPU cores and no CPU's? You've accumulated a huge number of points with a tiny number of work units.

GTX980Ti SLI setup - I don't have the CPU running mainly because I use the machine as a server/media center plus the CPU doesn't contribute much comparatively.

EDIT: Looks like I stopped the proc and forgot to restart it. Will fix it tonight.

Last edited:

GTX980Ti SLI setup - I don't have the CPU running mainly because I use the machine as a server/media center plus the CPU doesn't contribute much comparatively.

That makes sense. Thanks for the details.

Back
Top Bottom