• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pinned Folding team - The Godless Ones

Denotes a thread or post that is permanently displayed at the top of the subforum.
I believe those monitoring processes are student volunteers. This problem tends to occur around holidays. In the present instance it was about four days before folding accumulations got back up to speed. What I'm not seeing is Godless Ones players recovering output. Is that related to holidays as well?

Am I back? After several days like 12.11.17 @ 1,862 points, there was 12.12.17 - 220,455!

did some troubleshooting on Yah-Beast.. it might not be the power supply
removed the video cards and replaced with a single card
seems to be holding up, it was shutting down after 30 minutes consistently
contribute what I can I guess

I feel like the recent downtime, around the US Thanksgiving holiday, made for some odd problems. Shortly afterwards, perhaps not coincidentally, I got messages on two platforms saying there was some issue and perhaps the client would need to be reloaded. Eventually I got them working again, but they seem to be taking longer and producing less. This machine, I've been running both the normal client as well as the Chrome client, the latter of which seems to take precedence and I get more WUs accomplished from that, but at much lower points (125/WU).

Ooh! We're closing in on 900 million points!

In other news, I have also noticed that on the machines on which I'm not running the Chrome client I seem to lately be getting WUs which take a day or two to complete. Those yield significant points, but only sporadically, rather than daily. Depending on how I set the Chrome client, I seem to finish anywhere from 2-4 WUs per update cycle in the stats. When I'm working on that machine I set the 'folding power' to medium, but then change it to high before I leave for the night. I'll also set it temporarily to high if I know I'm stepping away for an extended length of time (meetings, etc.).

So, here's something I wish I'd kept track of over the years: our annual points. So, I'm throwing this up here for posterity/interest or whatever.

Our 2017 team points total was: 425,522,137 points accumulated for 22,952 WUs! That's an average of 18,539.7 pts/WU.

The monthly team stats go back to December of 2014, which looks like we got in the neighborhood of 1 million points for that month. The whole of 2015 didn't see us get above ~4 million points for any month, so I'm guessing less than 20 million total for that whole year. In 2016 we really took off in March and then had some ups and downs, peaking in December with slightly over 50 million points that month alone. In this time since late 2014, that was only surpassed in January 2107 during which we broke the 55 million point mark (55,285,668 to be exact). Still, it appears that 2016 didn't quite make 300 million points. I'll be interested to see what 2018 holds.

Well, checking the team stats, it appears we hit 900 million points on about 7 January of this year (if I did the numbers correctly). Also, have I mentioned how much I hate these times when the stats glitch for a day or two and then everything kind of catches up all at once? I feel like it throws the averages out of whack, and I like looking at smoother charts. Meh, personal preference, I guess. Probably good that we're still getting credit for work accomplished.

Oh, and I wasn't sure what happened somewhat recently when a couple of our team members had secondary accounts going. I got a bit excited to see we had "new" members, only to quickly realize they weren't really new at all. Anyway, things still seem to be going well. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I found it interesting that my Chrome client gives me a steady supply of completed WUs on this machine, though at a very low point count for each, which is both satisfying and annoying all at once. I like seeing points being added to my total, but the slow creep has reduced my point/WU average and I'm suspecting it's slowing down the normal CPU folding which seems to still be happening on this machine. I may experiment with shutting down Chrome for a while to see what happens.

have I mentioned how much I hate these times when the stats glitch for a day or two and then everything kind of catches up all at once?
it does seem to make a mockery of the prediction function.
"At this rate, you will advance in rank in March... March... March... DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!!... April... April... April...)

have I mentioned how much I hate these times when the stats glitch for a day or two and then everything kind of catches up all at once?
it does seem to make a mockery of the prediction function.
"At this rate, you will advance in rank in March... March... March... DAY AFTER TOMORROW!!!... April... April... April...)

I haven't worked out the details of how it makes it's predictions, but I think it's based on an average over perhaps the past week or so, maybe. So, when there's a spike or a glitch when things go to zero, it throws off the averages.

Anyway, with our team averaging about 1+ million/day, we should achieve the 1 billion point mark in early April.

After this most recent update, I saw the team total, a somehow pleasing number of 988,388,338.

Our pace has slipped slightly very recently, but I'll stand by my prediction of us reaching the 1 billion point mark before mid-April. Perhaps as early as the 10th, I'll wager.

There's been a glitch with the Chrome client on my work machine and it can't even do anything right now. Fortunately, the main processor is still chugging away through the regular program.

We're down to three machines. One with a Nvidia 1080 and two others with Nvidia 970s. All at home general purpose machines with capability for serious graphics. So where am I spending most of my time? Trying to make sense of my dissertations written 42 years ago when I was 35. Oh shit.

Anyone willing to wager that one can discriminate movement in signals that move less than Minimum Audible Angle. For the confused the measure would be of Minimum Audible Movement Angle. Does anyone think this is paradoxical?

Yes. There's that and other interesting stuff like getting any one of 12 determined changes from observers in less than 60 microseconds using a dropdown table from machines that have 1.2 microsecond machine cycle. Blows one's mind that machines are maybe a trillion times faster than the one I used then.

Hmm ... looks like sometime yesterday I finished my 10,000th WU!

Hooray for me!

Well done.

Interesting spread in points per WU. A quick glance at the top 6 WU producers shows a span from roughly 6 only to 30,000 pts/WU.

Apparently, some time in that same day, I also cracked the 5 million points mark! Hooray for me!

I had stopped into my office that day and restarted the Chrome client on my work machine which had recently stopped. It stalled out again on Sunday, but at least I got an extra day out of it.

Back
Top Bottom