• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pinned Folding team - The Godless Ones

Denotes a thread or post that is permanently displayed at the top of the subforum.
when my GPUs are folding I crash my system multitasking.
can't figure out how to get my GPUs to fold when idle, it seems an all the time operation or manual activate..
I'm afraid to leave it running unattended as it might crash and cook my video cards.
I am climbing up the ranks though.

when my GPUs are folding I crash my system multitasking.
can't figure out how to get my GPUs to fold when idle, it seems an all the time operation or manual activate..
I'm afraid to leave it running unattended as it might crash and cook my video cards.
I am climbing up the ranks though.
I'm afraid I can't help much with technical questions about this. But damn! You are moving up! Nearly in the top 200 now! Keep it up!

And now I see none when I click on my profile as gaining on me. I'll move up a few more spots before being caught, though.

figured out why my machine was locking up: insufficient power supply.

Top 100!

Congrats to Quetzacoafold for breaking into the top 100 team members! :slowclap:

Now I only have to scroll up and down to see the progress of all of our active members. :D

thanks, hopefully I can keep turning out the work units :D

Yeah, that'd be great! I see you're quickly closing in on the half million point mark. Keep it up!

I thought that I had spent too much time at #14 for total points, so when two friends upgraded, instead of scrapping fairly decent desktops, I talked them into donating them to me for folding. So, now I'm at #12 and counting. The combined heat output from 9 laptops and desktops isn't wasted at outside temperatures around freezing. Having multiple backups is another bonus but takes systematic organizing at a level that's more necessary than fun.

I think I've been slacking on this, so ... here's a link to the stat page again. If you click over to the Team Summary page, you'll notice that 'Fold4Jesus.com' is gaining on us quickly.

Place-wise, none is right on Puck's heels, though it will still take a while to actually catch her. I'm hoping to pick up even one more spot before those two catch me.

I'm wondering if the problem with my second machine at home has to do with it being an older system running XP. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Folding software, but it just seems to sit there waiting for a WU.

I'm wondering if the problem with my second machine at home has to do with it being an older system running XP. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Folding software, but it just seems to sit there waiting for a WU.

At least, I doubt that age and XP are the only reasons. The quite productive machine from which I'm writing seems to have been assembled and started in 2010. It runs XP. F@H CPU Client is v. 6.23 (2008). Not exceedingly fast and has lots of quite voluminous software installed. But I've had similar thoughts like you about an old, slow laptop that struggled for at least a week, trying and trying again to get some work. Then, suddenly (but after some cleaning and deleting software, and like the others, indexing is disabled) it started and produces a couple of hundreds of PPD. I have practically no other use for it, so I might shut it down if summer comes, if the extra heat generated won't be needed.

At least, I doubt that age and XP are the only reasons. The quite productive machine from which I'm writing seems to have been assembled and started in 2010. It runs XP. F@H CPU Client is v. 6.23 (2008). Not exceedingly fast and has lots of quite voluminous software installed. But I've had similar thoughts like you about an old, slow laptop that struggled for at least a week, trying and trying again to get some work. Then, suddenly (but after some cleaning and deleting software, and like the others, indexing is disabled) it started and produces a couple of hundreds of PPD. I have practically no other use for it, so I might shut it down if summer comes, if the extra heat generated won't be needed.

I'll do some cleanup on it and see if that helps at all. I don't even mind if its contributions are relatively small. Our top 3 team members (in terms of total points) are all out right now and we're way down from our glory days of higher daily point totals.

Yikes! Not only has this thread fallen off of the first page, but we've slowed down again.

Meanwhile, none has overtaken Puck just after they both crossed into the 800k point range. Also, congrats to Lugubert on reaching 2,000,000 points. As for me, I recently passed 4,000 WUs completed! I've not gotten around to cleaning up my XP machine, and in fact just turned it off the other day as it seems not to have been doing anything other than create heat. I figured I could at least save some electricity instead.

Quetzacoafold is closing in on becoming our 86th member over 50,000 points. Keep up the good work!

Quetzacoafold is closing in on becoming our 86th member over 50,000 points. Keep up the good work!
Oh, darn.
Got a business trip coming up. For some reason, the laptop doesn't pick up a lot of points while on standby in the trunk....

I stickied this thread so folks can find out about the team easily here.

I stickied this thread so folks can find out about the team easily here.

Speaking as team cheerleader/unofficial team captain, I thank you for this! I hope that it's being visible will help increase awareness and that we may get new members or get previous contributors back or better yet, both! We were recently passed up by the team known as "Fold4Jesus.com".

On a more serious note, the project helps with a variety of different research, and if you want, you can opt to have your work go to a specific issue like cancer or Alzheimer's for instance. The project has been producing results, by the way, with many papers written. I opted to just work on whatever was needed at the moment. The one my current contribution will help is "unspecified", but here's the project description for those who may be interested in reading such things:
These projects perform folding of "Protein G", which is a large multi-domain surface protein of group G Streptococcus. It is one of proteins which can selectively bind antibodies. Therefore, it is widely used in purification of antibodies. It is also a model protein used for understanding the general mechanisms underlying protein folding. For example, Protein L ( projects 8001 and 8004) and Protein G have the same structure but their folding mechanism are suspected to be very different. In these projects, we study various mutants of protein G to understand its folding mechanism and elucidate the role played by protein structure and sequence in folding. These projects simulate same protein as p8043, 8044, 8045 and 8054 but in explicit solvent.

OK, here's a better example. This machine has just started on a new WU for a different project. In the Client Advanced control panel if you click on the underlined Project number, it takes you to a page describing the project your WU is supporting. Here's my latest one:
Disease Type: Alzheimer's

Bryostatin is a marine natural product that shows promising and unique activity against several diseases (most notably, cancer, HIV/AIDS, and Alzheimer's). Its main target, protein kinase C (PKC), is a signaling protein central to many cellular functions. In its active form, PKC binds its ligand and is associated with the membrane, but we currently lack structural information about this complex in its membrane microenvironment. The simulations performed on FAH will help to provide a structure to the PKC-ligand-membrane complex. The structure and dynamics of this complex would allow us to understand bryostatin's binding mode and thus how to modify and tune its structure to improve function or even create new functions as needed for new therapies in the clinic.

Back
Top Bottom