• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pinned Folding team - The Godless Ones

Denotes a thread or post that is permanently displayed at the top of the subforum.
Perhaps I'm going through something similar? I haven't had a contribution in weeks, but the process is still running on my lone computer, and the service starts right back up after a reboot. I'm not sure if something's wrong with my client, and I never think about it hard enough to investigate.

something weird happened.
I have two towers the same model computer
I put the identical wireless card in both and one died after I put the card in.
I checked the cards and motherboards for damage and checked the wiring to to see if all the cables were seated.
I can't figure it out but one of them is dead and that one I was using to compute.
I might not be putting out much work units until I can figure out why it won't give me bios report and boot.
weird.

i reset the cmos, both towers are booting fine

Quetzacoafold is closing in on becoming our 86th member over 50,000 points. Keep up the good work!

And now he's in the 6-digit club! Welcome and congrats!!
I am, aren't I? Cool...

I just... I can't understand what this thing is doing. I get a steady rhythm, then two days of nothing, then a day of zero points but ten work units... Now my daily average is slightly more than twice what the standard was.... It's lmost like a random number generator....

And a big hearty welcome to fromderinside! Currently moving quickly up the charts, from page 5 already up to page 3. It'll take a bit longer to get onto page 2, and longer still to get to page 1, unless of course the pace is increased. Never mind that, though. It's the science, and not the rankings, which count. I do love looking at the charts and graphs and really would love to really increase the team's output, but I'm glad for any new contributions we get! I am a little competitive sometimes, especially like now when we're on the heels of Fold4Jesus.com. They blew by us a while ago and then screeched to a halt, so now we're gaining and at current rate, won't catch them til late winter/early spring perhaps. I'd love to shorten that time frame and move our team back up the charts a bit.

I hadn't looked at those pages either, but for the team, it seems to be http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=&p=3.
Myself, at #20093 of the Individual Overall Rank list, gets me list page 198 there, http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/individual_list.php?s=&p=198.

I could do better if all machines got assignments. My poorest, slowest, oldest laptop faithfully chugs on and is constantly receiving new tasks. But my two best ones, fairly fast and with several GB to spare, haven't had work to do for ages. workhorse #1: Nothing since Sep 14. Today:

[05:37:44] + Attempting to get work packet
[05:37:44] - Connecting to assignment server
[05:37:53] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[05:37:53] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[05:37:53] - Attempt #565 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

Last time I cried in a post over a similar period of silence on two other computers, the situation was resolved within a few days. Fingers crossed.

Jello, jello, jello. Typical FDI. Typo put one of my computers on GU mba team, whatever that is, costing The Godless 0nes 3680 points and three work units. Call me Rick Perry. Oops.

Oh, shake, what's a page? The lists I see are just scrolls.

Well, when I follow the link I provide on each page of this thread, I get to the Individual Users List of our team. For me, our list of members is broken down into pages of 100 each. Most of us active folders are on page 1 (the top 100 contributors by points). You have been moving quickly up and as I see it right now, you are on page 2, that is, members ranked 101-200 in terms of total points accumulated. It looks like you'll be joining the rest of us soon on page 1.

Don't fret about the points lost to another team. The science is the important thing.

Jello, jello, jello. Typical FDI. Typo put one of my computers on GU mba team, whatever that is, costing The Godless 0nes 3680 points and three work units. Call me Rick Perry. Oops.

Oh, shake, what's a page? The lists I see are just scrolls.

Well, when I follow the link I provide on each page of this thread, I get to the Individual Users List of our team. For me, our list of members is broken down into pages of 100 each. Most of us active folders are on page 1 (the top 100 contributors by points). You have been moving quickly up and as I see it right now, you are on page 2, that is, members ranked 101-200 in terms of total points accumulated. It looks like you'll be joining the rest of us soon on page 1.

Don't fret about the points lost to another team. The science is the important thing.

Yeah, the science. I particularly like when Stanford researchers use my computers for nerve conduction molecule investigations and for heart electrolyte channel problems linked to arrhythmia. The first I studied back in the day at university (Hodgkin-Huxley and Fox simulations in 60-70s) as a grad and the second is what I'm dealing with medically right now.

Hey, lookie dat. 98 still a ways to go to get up among those producing now.

A thought. When we are all producing parties let's each go out and get new computer to out do the other. I'm aiming on spending a bit, a billion or so to get a a 1024 100 pico flop processor system, for my part. I guess the problem there would be with communication so I'd have to put in a 1000 strand fiber link, another pricey thing. But, hey I know a few influential people up in Seattle.

End Reductio Absurdum

Last edited:
And as of right now, you're up to 95th. Earlier, the prediction was you'd catch me in about 3 years. Now, that's been halved!

interesting, fromderinside...
manage to get +6000 points in a 24 hour cycle...
I wonder how...

interesting, fromderinside...
manage to get +6000 points in a 24 hour cycle...
I wonder how...

Quad laptop and dual quad desktop (up to 12 CPUs) with about 16 gig ram between them and three terabyte active disk available for processing ..... running from medium to 100 percent capacity (two CPU laptop and 4 CPU desktop to 4 CPU laptop and 8 CPU desktop with more than a gig of ram for each CPU) in my 99%+ free time.

I'm not a gamer yano. I deal with large databases for population statistics as a hobby.

Could push it a bit more with two more processors but they are a lot older windows three and vista level machines. As if my four year old and 6 year old resident computers aren't old enough.

I think I get larger than average work units since I've only 39 which translates to 1500 points per task completed (combined output is 54k points) Average task time is less than 4 hours.

Could push it a bit more with two more processors but they are a lot older windows three and vista level machines. As if my four year old and 6 year old resident computers aren't old enough.

I think I get larger than average work units since I've only 39 which translates to 1500 points per task completed (combined output is 54k points) Average task time is less than 4 hours.

I have two Win7 desktops (at present) working and am averaging about 385pts/WU completed, and I have no idea about average task time. Some are only a few hours, while some take a day or two to complete. I've also been on the project long enough that I can recall units completing with 100 or fewer points awarded. Lately my average is much higher, but it's overcoming all of the old, smaller units which takes time.

I'm a newbie to this project, but, seems to me folding matrices takes computer processor power and available immediate memory (core) with which to fold large matrices. Why bang back and forth to disk and local memory when one can bang around in large local memory?
Fired up my old Vista machine which ran at about two Mz with to 2 gig ram, only 800 meg was available because of Vista overhead, and it ran glacially compared to either of my current machines which I described a bit above.

If you are saying you only ran the same windows 7 machines and you got results you described then it's back to the drawing board for me.

I can't understand why I haven't had any new updates in months. The service stops, starts, and restarts normally. The process is present when the service is running. I've rebooted the system. Nothing seems to work. I feel bad that I'm neither contributing to the team nor to science.

A few months ago I had the same problem with this pentium machine that I am no longer using.
It has been long enough ago that I don't remember too much about it but I think I reinstalled the software to resolve the issue...
I can't say for sure because it has been a while and that machine is no longer in use, not a priority...

Back
Top Bottom