• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Sriracha Deviled Eggs with Crumbled Bacon

enhanced-buzz-32652-1429544983-25.jpg

recipe here http://blog.lacrema.com/sriracha-deviled-eggs-crumbled-bacon/?pp=0

DSC02631_zpslyeeoisv.jpg

Spears of zuccinni cooked in a tomato sauce (simple canned) with added tomato paste. Coarse shredded Parmesan on top. Needed a little more salt, or a little cheese added to the sauce.

DSC02713_zpsaqh4i1ls.jpg

Seitan Marsala. How many mushrooms are needed for this?

DSC02697_zpsoaz5yopj.jpg

Mmm... mushrooms, especially oyster mushrooms!

DSC02744_zps3qlabuvc.jpg

One of my favorite things is Canneloni al Forno. You can't eat it if you are a vegetarian though! :( So I made this modified version with good success. Precook boxed lasanga noodles (I usually make my own, but was worried how well they'd stay in a roll form, so stuck with box. I made TVP using a vegan chicken broth. I think the next time, I may just use hot water, TVP, and dash or two of celery seed. The ricotta cheese mix was 1.5 cups of ricotta cheese, about one cup of mozzarella, and one egg. The TVP mix was TVP and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. I laid out a noodle, and over the first half placed a thin coating of the TVP mix. I then sprinkled just a little mozzarella on top. Then the other half, I coated with the ricotta mixture. Rolled up the noodle starting at the TVP end, as the moister ricotta end would adhere better to help keep the roll together. Put them all in an 8x8 or 9x9 pan add a little more mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top of each one, then add tomato sauce around them. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 uncovered. I also chopped up mushrooms, cooked them without oil in a stick free pan, then added plain tomato sauce. The result is above and below.

DSC02746_zps3hqebalr.jpg

I just stumbled across this remarkbly easy recipe for salmon.

It's from a coookbook that revisits the 'one pot' recipe standard. All you cook on is one cookie sheet.

Shop for:
1 1/2 pounds of salmon fillets
4 persian cucumbers* cut into 1-inch thick rounds
1 large red onion cut into 1-inch hunks (about 3 cups)
Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
juice of 1 lemon.

Preheat oven to 425.
Cover a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Toss the onion, cucumber rounds, olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Spread evenly over the sheet, bake for 20 minutes or so, turning the pan around halfway through. Veggies are ready when they start to pucker and brown.

Push the veggies to the perimeter to clear a space in the center for the fillets. Sprinkle the salmon with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Bake for about 10 minutes until done (I always tend to assume fish is undercooked and have to force myself to take it out at what seems way too early a point).

Meanwhile, mix the yogurt, dill, lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste for a dill sauce.

The sauce goes great on teh salmon and isn't half bad on the veggies, either.

*If your grocer doesn't carry Persian, or looks at you oddly for ordering Iranian produce, you can use English or Hothouse cukes, according to the recipe. I used regular cucumbers. but added the step of skinning them. The Persian cuke has much thinner skin and is more easily edible.

how to enjoy rice

someone once told me that rice is the water of foods, tasteless and necessary. no. try this:

basic: take two parts liquid plus a small amount of some fat and boil. add one part rice, return to boil, stir well. turn heat to low, cover and simmer til water is gone.

coconut rice: use a can of coconut water as part of the liquid, use basmati rice and add a teaspoon of cardamom. if you don't like the sugar, use two tablespoons of coconut milk instead of the coconut water. warning: when you try to boil semisoluble fats and water together, the solution will try to superheat, meaning it will suddenly boil over. watch it and stir to prevent.

mango rice: chop up a mango and add it to the water before boiling, along with a dash of chili and two tablespoons of coconutmilk. add the basmati rice. now, this is a dessert, and the mango enzyme chew the rice to goo, so it wants to stick - don't let it. stir often (you normally don't take the cover off rice after you turn it down). if you want, use a can of mango nectar or other juice from the mexican section or equivalent.

how to peel a mango - mangoes have trapezoidal pits, running longway along the 'seam' if you can see it. cut two main slices parallel to the seam, then try an angled cut on the remainder - if you hit seed, reverse the angle. repeat. take the cut pieces to a glass and slide the glass between the skin and the meat. it's easy if it's ripe.

how to enjoy rice

someone once told me that rice is the water of foods, tasteless and necessary. no. try this:

basic: take two parts liquid plus a small amount of some fat and boil. add one part rice, return to boil, stir well. turn heat to low, cover and simmer til water is gone.

coconut rice: use a can of coconut water as part of the liquid, use basmati rice and add a teaspoon of cardamom. if you don't like the sugar, use two tablespoons of coconut milk instead of the coconut water. warning: when you try to boil semisoluble fats and water together, the solution will try to superheat, meaning it will suddenly boil over. watch it and stir to prevent.

mango rice: chop up a mango and add it to the water before boiling, along with a dash of chili and two tablespoons of coconutmilk. add the basmati rice. now, this is a dessert, and the mango enzyme chew the rice to goo, so it wants to stick - don't let it. stir often (you normally don't take the cover off rice after you turn it down). if you want, use a can of mango nectar or other juice from the mexican section or equivalent.

how to peel a mango - mangoes have trapezoidal pits, running longway along the 'seam' if you can see it. cut two main slices parallel to the seam, then try an angled cut on the remainder - if you hit seed, reverse the angle. repeat. take the cut pieces to a glass and slide the glass between the skin and the meat. it's easy if it's ripe.

You can also cook your rice with some finely chopped vegetables (frozen ones work too), and cook in stock.

how to enjoy rice

The Coconut Rice reminds me of Sticky Rice from the Philippines which reminds me of Bananaque. Deep fried bananas coated with caramelized brown sugar.
Masarap.
Bananaque.jpg

how to enjoy rice

basic: take two parts liquid plus a small amount of some fat and boil.
coconut rice: use a can of coconut water as part of the liquid,
use basmati rice and add a teaspoon of cardamom.

mango rice: chop up a mango and add it to the water before boiling,
Reminds me of Discworld popcorn. If you add butter and salt, it tastes like salted butter.

It seems that you're trying to argue someone who says that rice has no flavor, then solve the problem by adding flavors to the rice so it'll have flavor. Doesn't that pretty much validate 'someone's' statement?

kinda, but basmati and jasmine rice do have flavor, just subtle flavor. cardamom and coconut milk enhance the natural sweetness.

Enough with the pictures of gourmet food.

How about pictures of kitchen disasters instead?

http://imgur.com/gallery/uWKdg

Sample:
BbS9G3A.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Dried Nori (seaweed) is an awesome snack.

Technically, isn't it algae rather than seaweed?

Anyway, agreed. The dark seasoned stuff is great with rice and a bit of soy sauce.

However, if you look around, you can find it dried and unseasoned (aonori). In that state, it's green and kind of like sea parsley, and makes an incredible garnish.

Enough with the pictures of gourmet food.

How about pictures of kitchen disasters instead?

I don't have a picture of my recent kitchen disaster unfortunately. I tried to fry some noodles, and forget about it for a bit as I was browsing reddit or some such. Came back, and there was so much smoke in my livingroom/kitchen that I thought the house was on fire. Grabbed the pan and threw it into the sink, causing a few drops of burning oil to give me a couple of small 2nd/3rd degree burns (small enough to not be bothered by them too much)

Technically, isn't it algae rather than seaweed?

Only in the sense that seaweed *is* algae. Seaweed = macroscopic algae.

Anyway, agreed. The dark seasoned stuff is great with rice and a bit of soy sauce.

However, if you look around, you can find it dried and unseasoned (aonori). In that state, it's green and kind of like sea parsley, and makes an incredible garnish.

This is the stuff I'm talking about:

saitakusnack2.jpg

They're incredibly thin crunchy flakes that are basically like healthy potato chips. But with seaweed instead of potato.

Back
Top Bottom