• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

I don't have a picture of my recent kitchen disaster unfortunately. I tried to fry some noodles, and forget about it for a bit as I was browsing reddit or some such. Came back, and there was so much smoke in my livingroom/kitchen that I thought the house was on fire. Grabbed the pan and threw it into the sink, causing a few drops of burning oil to give me a couple of small 2nd/3rd degree burns (small enough to not be bothered by them too much)

Technically, isn't it algae rather than seaweed?

Only in the sense that seaweed *is* algae. Seaweed = macroscopic algae.

Anyway, agreed. The dark seasoned stuff is great with rice and a bit of soy sauce.

However, if you look around, you can find it dried and unseasoned (aonori). In that state, it's green and kind of like sea parsley, and makes an incredible garnish.

This is the stuff I'm talking about:

saitakusnack2.jpg

They're incredibly thin crunchy flakes that are basically like healthy potato chips. But with seaweed instead of potato.

Thanks for the correction on seaweed. Anyway, aonori is worth experimenting with if you're interested. The stuff you're talking about is generally referred to as nori (weird that the unprocessed version has a prefix). Like I said above, if you like snacking and have white rice around, put a little wad of rice into the sheet, wrap it around, and dunk it into soy sauce.

Just found out that aonori is the ingredient in tsukudani. I always thought that stuff was made out of kelp.

Thanks for the correction on seaweed. Anyway, aonori is worth experimenting with if you're interested. The stuff you're talking about is generally referred to as nori (weird that the unprocessed version has a prefix).

This is wrong. Nori and Aonori are made from different kinds of seeweed; and both can be either processed or unprocessed. Nori is made from red seaweed, and is basically the 'standard' type. Aonori is instead made from green seaweed; Ao is the Japanese word for blue, but historically it's also been used for green (which is Midori nowadays), and sometimes is still used for green depending on context.

Just found out that aonori is the ingredient in tsukudani. I always thought that stuff was made out of kelp.

Tsukudani can be made from a number of different ingredients; including meat, nori, and konbu (kelp). It depends on the variety of tsukudani.

ecology lesson:

there are three types of 'macro' algae, green, brown and red. kelp is brown, carrageenan, one of the fundamental gelling agents, is made from a red alga called irish moss. nori is also a red alga, despite it's actual color. fundamentally, the green/red/brown stuff is about biochemistry.

caulerpa is the only green one i know of, people eat it as 'sea grapes'. which is far, because another Caulerpa species is eating the Mediterranean like the blob (escaped from an aquarium). most green macroalgae are calcerous - they build a calcium carbonate pseudoskeleton, like corals.

there are a few true vascular plants in the ocean (marcoalgae do not transport nutrients from one part to the other, even in kelp). they are usually named like this: animal + grass. thus eelgrass, turtlegrass, manateegrass. if i had the money, i'd build an aquarium with these, instead of chunks hacked off reefs, like most ..... shutup, tantric.

This is wrong. Nori and Aonori are made from different kinds of seeweed; and both can be either processed or unprocessed. Nori is made from red seaweed, and is basically the 'standard' type. Aonori is instead made from green seaweed; Ao is the Japanese word for blue, but historically it's also been used for green (which is Midori nowadays), and sometimes is still used for green depending on context.

Tsukudani can be made from a number of different ingredients; including meat, nori, and konbu (kelp). It depends on the variety of tsukudani.

OK, it's good to know I'm not crazy, er, not as crazy as I thought.

bundt lasagna.jpg

Made a Bundt Lasagna. Lasagna noodles from scratch. Bean sprouts in the ricotta.

cake.jpg

Double Chocolate - Peanut Butter Cake. Used three recipes. One general chocolate cake, an uber-rich "fudge" cake, more like "Truffle" consistency cake, with a layer of peanut butter icing in between. Extremely rich cake.

View attachment 3229

Made a Bundt Lasagna. Lasagna noodles from scratch. Bean sprouts in the ricotta.

View attachment 3230

Double Chocolate - Peanut Butter Cake. Used three recipes. One general chocolate cake, an uber-rich "fudge" cake, more like "Truffle" consistency cake, with a layer of peanut butter icing in between. Extremely rich cake.

They look yum.....

7 Delicious Cocktails To Serve Anyone Who Loves Batman

WTF! How come there isn't one for the Penguin?:mad:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysand...s-to-serve-anyone-who-loves-batman#.yn401YBYa

These cocktails were originally mixed up for a Batman & Robin-themed “bro-dal” shower menu. You can check out the full party plan here.

enhanced-10885-1434741222-1.jpg

javascript:;
View this image ›
Lauren Zaser / BuzzFeed
1. The Bruce Wayne

javascript:;javascript:;javascript:;javascript:;javascript:;
enhanced-7705-1434741778-2.jpg
View this image ›

Lauren Zaser / BuzzFeed Life
Something magical happens to iced coffee when you shake it with whiskey and maple syrup: You get a lovely, creamy head of foam on top — almost like a Guinness — that disguises the dark depths below (which contain enough caffeine to power any nocturnal superhero).
Serves 1
4½ oz. black iced coffee
2 oz bourbon

¼–½ oz. maple syrup (depending how sweet you like it)
Brew a pot of coffee and let chill until cold, or dilute cold-brew coffee concentrate with an equal amount of cold water. Measure all ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake thoroughly, until chilled and foamy. Strain into glass over ice.

2. The Boy Wonder

enhanced-10895-1434741312-1.jpg
View this image ›

This drink, the love child of a tequila sunrise and a mimosa, makes a perfect brunch-appropriate sidekick to the Bruce Wayne. The measurements are just a guideline; feel free to add as much champagne as you like.
Serves 1
3 oz. orange juice
2 oz. sparkling wine
1 oz. silver tequila
Splash grenadine or maraschino cherry juice

Pour tequila, juice, and sparkling wine into a champagne flute and stir. Tilt glass slightly and slowly pour grenadine down the side so that it settles at the bottom. Garnish with a lime slice.

3. The Joker

enhanced-17815-1434741352-1.jpg
View this image ›

1f609.png

Serves 1
3 oz. grape Jolly Rancher-infused vodka (see below)
¼ oz. lime juice
Seltzer
To make the infused vodka: Unwrap 10–12 purple Jolly Ranchers and put them in a sealable jar or bottle. Add 1½ cups of vodka, seal, shake, and let sit overnight or until candy fully dissolves when you shake the bottle. Chill until ready to use.
Add 3 oz. infused vodka and lime juice to a Collins glass with ice, stir, and fill with seltzer. Garnish with lime slice.

4. The Poison Ivy

enhanced-15438-1434741366-13.jpg
View this image ›

This herbaceous cocktail is pretty, but watch out — it packs a punch.
Serves 1
2 oz. gin
1 oz. St. Germain
¾ oz. fresh-squeezed lime juice
3 sprigs fresh basil
2 sprigs fresh mint

Muddle all ingredients well in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice, shake vigorously for at least 20 seconds (this will help break up the herbs and give the drink its color and flavor), and strain into a coupe glass.

5. The Mr. Freeze

enhanced-2204-1434741379-1.jpg
View this image ›

Freezing the pineapple juice beforehand takes a little planning, which any super-villain could tell you is worth the effort: You’ll end up with a super-thick, borderline-spoonable treat. Multiply the recipe and freeze accordingly for your number of guests; you should be able to blend a few drinks’ worth at once.
Serves 1
6 oz. pineapple juice
1½ oz. white rum
1½ oz. blue Curaçao
3–4 blue raspberry Jolly Rancher candies (optional)
The night before making: Divide pineapple juice between sections of an ice cube tray and freeze until solid.
Crush Jolly Rancher candies with a mortar and pestle, or seal in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or another heavy kitchen tool. Empty “crystals” onto a small plate. Rub the rim of a margarita or hurricane glass with a lime slice and roll it in the candy crystals to coat, then chill glass in fridge or freezer while you blend the cocktail.
Combine frozen pineapple juice cubes, rum, and blue Curaçao in a blender, pulse to break up the frozen juice, and blend until smooth. Pour into glass. Serve with a straw (and maybe a spoon).

6. The Catwoman

enhanced-9665-1434741397-1.jpg
View this image ›

Black currant liqueur is the secret ingredient in a drink that’s dark, sophisticated, and bittersweet enough to suit Selina Kyle.
Serves 1
2 oz. bourbon whiskey
1 oz. sweet vermouth
½ oz. creme de cassis
½ oz. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Dash bitters

Shake all ingredients vigorously with ice and strain into a martini glass (or serve on the rocks, if your prefer).

7. The Alfred

enhanced-17681-1434741414-3.jpg
View this image ›

The perfect low-key, low-alcohol drink to serve your employer in the afternoon if you know he’ll need to be alert later. That said, you can always ramp up the booze factor with a nice British gin, if you feel so inclined.
Serves 8
2 cups Pimm’s No. 1
3 cups brewed black tea, chilled
2 12-oz. bottles ginger beer
, like Reed’s or Gosling’s
1 lemon
1 orange
6 sprigs fresh mint
, plus more for glass garnishes
Wash lemon and orange and slice them into thin rounds. Add citrus, Pimm’s and tea to a large pitcher, stir, and keep in the fridge at least one hour or until chilled. To serve, stir in ginger beer, pour into glasses filled with ice, and garnish with mint and a lemon slice.
Optional: If you’d like a boozier drink, add 1 oz. of gin to your glass before serving, and then stir in the Pimm’s mixture.

what goes with blueberry mousse?

last year i made a parfait with three layers: blackberry mousse, orange marmalade and crumbled walnut shortbread. this year i have a great excess of blueberries and i want to do it again - what flavors would best go with a blueberry mousse?

5928776440.jpg

i did blueberry mousse with candied mango and ginger and lavender&saffron shortbread crumbles as layers.

would y'all think '100% pure essential oil' lavender oil for aroma therapy is food safe? considering i used a total of 3 drops?

i did blueberry mousse with candied mango and ginger and lavender&saffron shortbread crumbles as layers.

would y'all think '100% pure essential oil' lavender oil for aroma therapy is food safe? considering i used a total of 3 drops?
You tell us.

You tell us.

well, i once took sassafras oil and made it into MDMA, that worked, but still, i may have different standards

last year i made a parfait with three layers: blackberry mousse, orange marmalade and crumbled walnut shortbread. this year i have a great excess of blueberries and i want to do it again - what flavors would best go with a blueberry mousse?

View attachment 3393

Mandarin. Shortbread with little pieces of preserved ginger (if I'm coming, make those large pieces)

I am currently eating quite a lot of cheese melted over a small number of corn chips and drinking Cointreau out of a mug at 3 in the afternoon.

Has anyone here tried to cook a suckling pig?

This video makes it seem like it is not all that hard to do

Back
Top Bottom