• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Well, Our kitchen is practically finished and all our stuff is put away so NOW I can cook again and I look forward to sharing recipes with you all. :)

Tonight I am making a quick beef curry using a nice piece of rump steak. I am looking forward to grinding my own mix of cumin, coriander and mustard seeds, with a splash of garlic and chilli infused oil to make my marinade.

Photo to follow.

Well, Our kitchen is practically finished and all our stuff is put away so NOW I can cook again and I look forward to sharing recipes with you all. :)

Tonight I am making a quick beef curry using a nice piece of rump steak. I am looking forward to grinding my own mix of cumin, coriander and mustard seeds, with a splash of garlic and chilli infused oil to make my marinade.

Photo to follow.

10448182_10203348922302397_6210511602720304485_n.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photo. But it was delicious.

• steak
  • miso paste
  • sliced jalapeno
  • sliced garlic
  • vegetable oil

Smear the miso paste on your steaks with a butter knife. Put in a plastic bag with the sliced jalapeno and garlic. Add just enough vegetable oil to spread the flavors around. Push the air out of the bag and refrigerate overnight.

Warning: miso paste is very salty. Do not add salt.

Wipe the miso off of the steak before cooking as it will burn otherwise.

Over the last 2 months, Bilby and I have rarely had a decent meal due to our kitchen being renovated. I thought I would share the finished product and let you know that we are looking forward to many more delicious and healthy meals.

BEFORE:
10291832_10202895708092325_2355944355323296834_n.jpg

AFTER:
10551048_10203352959523325_497868345445355_n.jpg

10559732_10203352959483324_2452912628826042179_n.jpg

In 57 years I have never managed to make a good meatloaf. They are always dry, and crumble. I can't bring myself to put in as much fat as they seem to need.

Willing to share your recipe? (I realise these can be sacred, and don't want to push.)

There is nothing sacred in my recipe box and I am always delighted to share good recipes. This one is a gem as it is always consistent. :D

Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf

Pre-heat oven to 375 F

Combine and let stand while preparing other ingredients:

1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
1 egg, lightly beaten

In a large bowl place the following:
1 lb ground lean beef
1 lb ground pork
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, color of your choice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Add the first lot of ingredients to the second and mush all together. Clean hands are the most effective instrument to use, particularly if you double or triple the recipe. :)

Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper and pack in your loaf. Trim off any protruding parchment paper in excess of one inch.

Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Spoon the topping over your meatloaf and pop into the oven.

Bake for 1 hour. Remove pan and tip one corner gently to drain off the fat and accumulated liquids. Back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, drain any extra liquid and let stand for a few minutes before serving as this helps the loaf retain it's shape. Easy to serve as you just lift it out of the pan with the parchment paper.
Add wilted spinach to the meat mixture and then you have a gourmet meatloaf.

Home made Potato and Leek Soup, with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of Paprika. We had it with fresh crusty bread rolls.

10568830_10203360879641323_3588088867117776018_n.jpg

It's not just that though.
Recipe:
Ingredients:
1 leek
1 parsnip
1 potato
1 suede
1 stalk of celery
1 onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
1 litre of Chicken Stock roughly
Pinch of Cumin

Dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of Paprika to garnish.

Method:
1. Melt butter and oil together in a large saucepan.
2. Chop the leek, potato, parsnip, celery, onion and suede into roughly 1cm - 2cm cubes.
3. Start to cook the vegetables over a medium heat until onion and leek are soft. Add the pinch of cumin at this stage.
4. pour chicken stock over vegetables until they are just about covered with liquid.
5. cook on medium heat until all vegetables are soft. You can rapid cook this soup, but I have found the flavours are better if they are slow cooked.
6. When cooked, blitz the soup using a blender or stick blender.
7. Return to heat and reheat until lightly bubbling.
8. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with paprika to garnish.
ENJOY!

My mom used to make Polish Potato Soup. Lots of potatoes, cubed, dumplings, chopped up bacon (the whole damn package), and lots of onions is what I remember. If I complained about the onions, she'd threaten to make Czernina [char nee na] or Duck Blood Soup.

My mom used to make Polish Potato Soup. Lots of potatoes, cubed, dumplings, chopped up bacon (the whole damn package), and lots of onions is what I remember. If I complained about the onions, she'd threaten to make Czernina [char nee na] or Duck Blood Soup.

If you can find the recipe, please share it. I am always looking for new things to try and cook.

If you can find the recipe, please share it. I am always looking for new things to try and cook.
I have to visit my mom for you?

Kidding. I have to head over there soon. I need to try and fix a countertop. Euclid the countertop installer didn't realize all walls are not created square.
I'll ask if she still has/knows the recipe.

I have to visit my mom for you?

Kidding. I have to head over there soon. I need to try and fix a countertop. Euclid the countertop installer didn't realize all walls are not created square.
I'll ask if she still has/knows the recipe.

Thanks TV, I am always trying new recipes. :)

Regarding the Potato and Leek Soup recipe, the recipe calls for 1 suede?

Suede are an English alternative rock band from London, formed in 1989.

Suede.jpg

My question is...which one did you use in the recipe?

(Just having a bit of fun with you. I'm sure you must mean swede, which is another term for turnip.) :)

The rutabaga, swede (from Swedish turnip),[1] turnip, yellow turnip, or neep (Brassica napobrassica, or Brassica napus var. napobrassica, or Brassica napus subsp. rapifera) is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip; see Triangle of U. The roots are prepared for human food in a variety of ways, and the leaves can be eaten as a leaf vegetable. The roots and tops are also used as winter feed for livestock, when they may be fed directly, or by allowing the animals to forage the plants in the field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga

Regarding the Potato and Leek Soup recipe, the recipe calls for 1 suede?

Suede are an English alternative rock band from London, formed in 1989.

Suede.jpg

My question is...which one did you use in the recipe?

(Just having a bit of fun with you. I'm sure you must mean swede, which is another term for turnip.) :)

The rutabaga, swede (from Swedish turnip),[1] turnip, yellow turnip, or neep (Brassica napobrassica, or Brassica napus var. napobrassica, or Brassica napus subsp. rapifera) is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip; see Triangle of U. The roots are prepared for human food in a variety of ways, and the leaves can be eaten as a leaf vegetable. The roots and tops are also used as winter feed for livestock, when they may be fed directly, or by allowing the animals to forage the plants in the field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga

I used swede, yes, which is different to turnip I think.

It was a very nice soup. Leftovers for lunch today.

One could start a whole debate in Scotland over the proper use of the term 'turnip', lol. Looks like a very nice soup and left-overs are always grand. Many soups and stews are even tastier the second time around, once the flavors come together. Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

Back
Top Bottom