• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

One could start a whole debate in Scotland over the proper use of the term 'turnip', lol. Looks like a very nice soup and left-overs are always grand. Many soups and stews are even tastier the second time around, once the flavors come together. Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

You are welcome. I am really looking forward to cooking heaps more things so this thread will be well referenced.

I do miss eggs and those look perfect.

Hawaiian Fried Rice​

I use a rice cooker. I have no experience with instant rice. This should be prepared with a mind to keeping all ingredients well drained where applicable. Many of the ingredient quantities are up to you.

2 cups Jasmine rice. Cook this first. You'll want it to be somewhat cooled by time your ready to mix it in.
Some carrots, I use baby carrots and quarter them lengthwise
Green onions (just the green)
Brocolli tops pulled apart to small pieces
A small can of pineapple cubes (tidbits) drained, cut them further in halves
Popcorn shrimp
One red pepper, chopped
Mushrooms, chopped (not canned, if you need to be told)
1/2 medium red onion chopped
Soy sauce (I use the low sodium stuff)

In your wok,
Fry up the chopped onions, red pepper, broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms. Just a little. Drain well.
Stir a little soy sauce in.
Bring the heat to very low and add the shrimp.
Then immediately add the rice. Bust up the clumps and add just enough soy sauce to brown it up.
*The more you mix with the heat on the mushier the rice will get. You want to get all this mixing done quickly.
Turn off the heat.
Mix in the pineapple. Drink the juice. Soy sauce and pineapple juice do not agree.
Transfer it to a dish and top it with the chopped onion greens (little rings)

Great with or after beer.

I have to admit that I have missed entertaining.

Tonight, my parents, brother and his GF came over to celebrate the completion of the kitchen. We served pumpkin'ish' soup; with roast pork belly, new potatoes, cone, baby carrots and other seasonal veg; finished with a Bakewell tart (made by Dad). All of it was cooked to perfection (except for the snow peas and broccoli which I overlooked).

So it was greT company, and great food. Cannot wait to entertain again.

One could start a whole debate in Scotland over the proper use of the term 'turnip', lol. Looks like a very nice soup and left-overs are always grand. Many soups and stews are even tastier the second time around, once the flavors come together. Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

Thanks to an SMS query as to what was for dinner and a reply that was auto-corrected, Turnips (aka neeps) are now forever know in our family as "beeps".

Soup is almost invariably better the second day which is why I always make mine the day before it is required. Red Pepper, Lentil, and Chorizo Soup is about as simple as it gets and, IMHO, delicious.

Thanks to an SMS query as to what was for dinner and a reply that was auto-corrected, Turnips (aka neeps) are now forever know in our family as "beeps".

Soup is almost invariably better the second day which is why I always make mine the day before it is required. Red Pepper, Lentil, and Chorizo Soup is about as simple as it gets and, IMHO, delicious.

Sounds great. Recipe Please?

Pizza Hut with a view.

Photo0449.jpg

You only have to negotiate your way around the Tanks to get there (which you are not supposed to take pictures of.)

Photo0510.jpg

goat ham

slab-of-mocetta1.jpg

Isn't much of a recipe

Chop some chorizo and onion.
Gently fry the chorizo to release the oil
Add the onions and soften
Add red peppers
Add stock
Add red lentils
Simmer until lentils are cooked.
Whizz smooth if desired.
Done

Isn't much of a recipe

Chop some chorizo and onion.
Gently fry the chorizo to release the oil
Add the onions and soften
Add red peppers
Add stock
Add red lentils
Simmer until lentils are cooked.
Whizz smooth if desired.
Done

Sounds similar to what I cook - except for the lentils and that I don't whizz it. I add chopped tomatoes and tomatoe paste to it to make a thicker 'sauce' and serve with pasta.

Back
Top Bottom