• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Well, as long as it's not hurting me, I"ll keep eating it.

Why not. Vinegar tastes nice.

Why people feel the need to claim that things they like are also cures for a wide range of ailments I shall never understand.

Just enjoy it, and leave curing cancer to the oncologists. (The same goes for cannabis too).

Why people feel the need to claim that things they like are also cures for a wide range of ailments I shall never understand.

Just enjoy it, and leave curing cancer to the oncologists. (The same goes for cannabis too).

I wasn't trying to claim anything. I was curious as to whether there were any benefits. Why people need to fill in their own assumptions as others' motivations I'll never understand.

I wasn't trying to claim anything. I was curious as to whether there were any benefits. Why people need to fill in their own assumptions as others' motivations I'll never understand.

Well someone must have made those claims, or why would you even ask the question?

Such claims are pretty widespread on the Internet, and I presume your question is a response to those claims - as is my response to your question.

Why should oncologists be the only ones getting high?

I make Pico de gallo with white wine vinegar in lieu of lime juice. I'll make a couple Mason jars of it and it will keep in the frig for a couple weeks. It's great with a simple meat or fish and rice dish.

There's as many unsubstantiated claims about certain foods being healthful as there are being harmful. It is particularly difficult to come out and claim a particular food is harmful. You better be damn sure of your findings as the industry concerned is going to come after you all teeth and claws. In this light, I'm inclined to err on the side of caution where my health is concerned. I may not get a second chance. For example, I'm not waiting for irrefutable evidence that processed meats promotes colon cancer. Seven polyps and being put on the colonoscopy three year plan is convincing enough for me to experiment with a non-processed meat diet for three years. Similarly, if one indulges in these presumed healthful foods, is there a downside should you be wrong?

Why should oncologists be the only ones getting high?

I make Pico de gallo with white wine vinegar in lieu of lime juice. I'll make a couple Mason jars of it and it will keep in the frig for a couple weeks. It's great with a simple meat or fish and rice dish.

There's as many unsubstantiated claims about certain foods being healthful as there are being harmful. It is particularly difficult to come out and claim a particular food is harmful. You better be damn sure of your findings as the industry concerned is going to come after you all teeth and claws. In this light, I'm inclined to err on the side of caution where my health is concerned. I may not get a second chance. For example, I'm not waiting for irrefutable evidence that processed meats promotes colon cancer. Seven polyps and being put on the colonoscopy three year plan is convincing enough for me to experiment with a non-processed meat diet for three years. Similarly, if one indulges in these presumed healthful foods, is there a downside should you be wrong?

Yes, there is. Pascal's Wager is bullshit when applied to foods, just as much as it is bullshit when applied to gods. There are not just two choices, and 'no harm' is NOT the worst possible outcome from doing something that is claimed (without adequate evidence) to be healthy.

In the 1940s and '50s, cigarettes were advertised using doctors who extolled their beneficial effects on health. Someone who chose to start smoking on the basis that 'Maybe they are not as good for me as people are saying, but if they are wrong, what's the harm' would clearly be making a grave error; and while the gravity of your current error is unknown, it's basis remains the same.

You cannot, by definition, err on the side of caution; If you are basing your choices on an error, then you are just erring. There is no 'side of caution' until and unless you have hard evidence, at which point there's no need to err.

In the absence of hard evidence, the only choice that minimizes the downside is the one that maximizes the upside - spending more than you need to, and/or eating things you enjoy less, is ONLY a good idea when you have solid evidence that doing so is good for your health, or that not doing so is bad for it.

Orthorexia is no better for you than any other mental illness, and should be avoided.

I've had tabouli for breakfast, lunch, and dinner today.

I did that once, and I ended up with a bad case of acid reflux, I guess because of the onions...:p

Ew! I don't get heartburn or acid reflux with tabouli. I mostly get that from greasy or buttery foods. Thank goodness because tabouli is my favorite food. I put a bit too much lemon juice in this batch, though. Also forgot to save some cucumber to add, but did have tomatoes. Without tomatoes, it's just not the same.

I did that once, and I ended up with a bad case of acid reflux, I guess because of the onions...:p

Ew! I don't get heartburn or acid reflux with tabouli. I mostly get that from greasy or buttery foods. Thank goodness because tabouli is my favorite food. I put a bit too much lemon juice in this batch, though. Also forgot to save some cucumber to add, but did have tomatoes. Without tomatoes, it's just not the same.

Maybe too much onion. Tomato and cucumber are essential. What parsley do you use?

Maybe too much onion. Tomato and cucumber are essential. What parsley do you use?

I use the Near East mix these days. I used to make it from scratch and it was pretty good most times. I used either fresh parsley or some dried kind. I don't use a lot of parsley in mine and the Near East mix doesn't, either. I had a hard time finding the wheat in stores and the Near East mix is so deliciously perfect that I just don't make it from scratch anymore.

Apparently, there's more than one kind of tabouli salad. I love the recipes that are mainly bulgar wheat but some recipes I've seen are mainly parsley. I was excited one time when my neighbor from Jordan offered me some of her tabouli recipe. Authentic! But I didn't know what to say when she handed me a bowl of wet parsley with nary a speck of wheat. :/

I use the Near East mix these days. I used to make it from scratch and it was pretty good most times. I used either fresh parsley or some dried kind. I don't use a lot of parsley in mine and the Near East mix doesn't, either. I had a hard time finding the wheat in stores and the Near East mix is so deliciously perfect that I just don't make it from scratch anymore.

Apparently, there's more than one kind of tabouli salad. I love the recipes that are mainly bulgar wheat but some recipes I've seen are mainly parsley. I was excited one time when my neighbor from Jordan offered me some of her tabouli recipe. Authentic! But I didn't know what to say when she handed me a bowl of wet parsley with nary a speck of wheat. :/

I like it with more wheat than that...:p

Feasting on nature's bounty: garden salad with ranch, topped with a scoop each of tuna salad, cucumber salad, and cottage cheese, with a bowl of crisp, fat seedless green grapes on the side, and a cup of orange tea.

House Made Bacon With Maple Cotton Candy & Peppercorns
at Kayne Prime Steakhouse in Nashville, TN

housemade-bacon-with-maple-cotton-candy-at-kayne-prime.jpg

How would one go about making real life Simple Rick's Wafers

I mean obviously they couldn't be made with the flavor of one's own completion
but would it be possible to add something to a sugar wafer to give it more complex flavor
Are there any ingredients other than dye that could be used to recreate the purple of the wafer and light blue of the filling while adding a unique flavor that would compliment the other tastes? Some type of liquor,fruit,spice,etc?

I had a sizable amount of leftover slices of fresh garlic from making bulgogi for my brother's family. Decided to make chili con carne, which I haven't done in a long time.

• Ground beef (around 2.5 lbs)
  • tomato paste (12 oz can)
  • tomato sauce (15 oz can)
  • mirepoix (diced onions, sliced carrots, sliced celery proportion 2:1:1) (slightly more than one onion, one carrot, two stalks of celery, remainder of other onion saved for garnish)
  • fresh diced tomatoes (4 hefty ones)
  • fresh garlic (sliced, handfull)
  • fresh jalepenos (4, somewhere between diced and puree in the food processor)
  • Chinese eggplant (1, sliced)
  • sliced mushrooms (small box)
  • beans (3 cans, any will do, but I used black, pinto, and kidney beans)
  • zest and juice from 1 lime
  • Chinese spicy fermented bean paste (big spoonfull)
  • Chili powder
  • Cumin powder
  • dried oregano
  • salt
  • Unsweetened baking chocolate (4oz bar)

Garnish
  • Fresh diced onion
  • Shredded cheddar cheese

Add salt to beef when browning. Remove beef. Cook sliced garlic in oil until you get a strong smell. Add onions and more salt and cook until soft. Add beef back. Add tomatoes, eggplant, and jalapeno. Cook until softened. Add cans of beans (juice and all), and remaining ingredients except chocolate. Not sure how much of the spices. A lot. :p (More chili powder than cumin, much less oregano than either.)

Simmer 2 hours. Add chocolate. Stir and let it melt in. From this point, the chili will be more prone to form a crust at the bottom of the pot, so stir more frequently until the chocolate is all melted and stirred in.

22406047_10212162339646982_8609579572770212454_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom