• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

What's your go to hot sauce?

Depends on what I'm doing.

I have Sriracha (the ketchup of the gods), gochujang (basically Korean spicy miso paste), Szechuan spicy fermented bean paste, a mild American vinegar-based hot sauce (Frank's) an aggressively spicy vinegar based hot sauce (with ghost peppers) and Szechuan chili oil.

Although not technically a hot sauce, I will often use the oil from Chicago style giardiniera (or small amounts of giardiniera itself) as an accent.

Today's tahini cookies are so so close to perfect. The flavor, the crisp... OMG. Just need to be a thinner wafer. I keep planning to roll and chill the dough so I can slice it thin, but I get impatient and just roll balls and smoosh them down with a spoon. Next time I will chill, roll, and slice to wafer thinness.

The applesauce made with bratwurst pan drippings turned out great.

The bratwurst drippings included water because of the way I cook bratwurst (sear both sides, then add water to cook through). Just added chopped apples, brown sugar, and freshly grated cinnamon to the pot. Simmered it until the apples were soft, then hit it with a hand blender.

If I had to pick one, I can't.

If it's a salad, sandwich, or anything Italian, probably giardiniera.

If it's Asian, it could be anything.

The Frank's, Szechuan chili oil, gochujang, and Sriracha probably get used most often in cases where giardiniera doesn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

Gochujang and Sriracha are great for adding impact to other sauces (such as barbecue sauce).

Practice round 2, this time with a (small) turkey. Just went in for its 3 day dry brine (with baking powder this time).

20171111_085045.jpg

Will update.

Wild Coyote Buried Alive
Blair's Mega Death

I also make my own. I have a real problem.

Oddly enough, when I buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket, my go to sauce is tabasco. An entire bottle of it at a time, but still tabasco.

The Asian grocery near our place is a wonderland of good sauces.

At this time I have a spicy ketchup (with bonnet pepper), a more pure bonnet pepper sauce, a Caribbean jerk, yellow lantern/pumpkin chilli, and hot mango. No favourite, just depends on my mood (the spicy ketchup seems to be getting a lot of play, though). Although usually I'll mix the pure bonnet pepper sauce with something else because.. bonnet peppers, I find it plays well with my sweet chilli sauce.

I also have a shaker filled with dry hot pepper which I'll mix with regular pepper and salt sometimes. Not sure what kind of pepper it's from but it's fiery. This big set of sauces and peppers is a requisite when a lot of your meals are comprised of brown rice, beans, and tofu.

Anyway: Asian Grocery

Practice round 2, this time with a (small) turkey. Just went in for its 3 day dry brine (with baking powder this time).

View attachment 13096

Will update.

Why dry?

- - - Updated - - -

Wild Coyote Buried Alive
Blair's Mega Death

Oddly enough, when I buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket, my go to sauce is tabasco. An entire bottle of it at a time, but still tabasco.

You have far more tolerance for heat/spice than I!

Speaking of, here's a bizarre shot you might like called buffalo sweat or prairie fire: Tabasco and tequila.

It's easier and it's supposed to give better results than wet brining. (Doesn't get spongy, skin crisps up, etc)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/...ing-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving.html#dryorwet

Wild Coyote Buried Alive
Blair's Mega Death

You have far more tolerance for heat/spice than I!

Speaking of, here's a bizarre shot you might like called buffalo sweat or prairie fire: Tabasco and tequila.

My entire family barely even notices stuff other people think is insanely spicy. I thought it was normal while I was growing up. :D

Tabasco and tequila sounds... interesting.

Baking powder? Would that work on a flash frozen turkey if I thaw it?

And any secrets to pass along? I'd like to give that a try.

My turkey was frozen and thawed, will post to show how it turns out. The baking powder raises the pH, breaking down the proteins, and also reacts creating CO2 to form little bubbles in the skin. When you cook it, the skin crisps and browns much better. Works on all poultry, and pork skin too. Just needs to sit overnight (or longer).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-get-crispier-chicken-turkey-poultry-skin-with-baking-powder.html

For ideas, Serious Eats is my go to.

20171114_125240.jpg

Turned out great! Looked a little weird after 3 days of dry brining, but came out juicy with really crispy skin. An added benefit of butterflying it is that the whole turkey cooked in just over an hour.

I'm going to a wild game dinner this weekend. Amongst other things, there will be lynx lasagna (tastes like chicken!), beaver stew (spare me the predictable jokes), and muskrat stir-fry (Appalling! Too much rat in it.) Also, the usual moose or deer steaks, and possibly a gibollette (rabbit stew). The guy who's providing all this wanted to get a wild boar too, but alas! it was not to be.
The muskrat was pretty bad, but the snapping turtle soup was worse.

Back
Top Bottom