• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

A venison backstrap medallion will be happening this evening.

Was in my home-town last weekend which is home to the only game meat retail store in the province. Splurged a bit and rushed it all back to my freezer in London.

Remember that applesauce made from bratwurst pan drippings? I still have to get rid of it. I also have a surfeit of already-peeled fresh garlic cloves (the kind Anthony Bourdain would insult me for using[ent]hellip[/ent] in my defense, I needed a lot of garlic for boolgogi). I also had some green grapes that were getting a bit long in the tooth.

So, to get rid of the applesauce, I bought some cheap ham steaks (large, thick cuts of ham) and some veggies.

20171118_143457_SM.jpg

Lemon Beans
  • Green beans
  • Fresh diced onion
  • Fresh garlic
  • Zest and juice of one lemon
  • salt & pepper
Using both zest and juice from a whole lemon results in a fairly aggressive lemon flavor. Saute garlic, onions and salt, then add beans, lemon juice and zest, bring to a boil, cover and simmer until desired bean texture reached.

Mushrooms with sun-dried tomatoes
  • Mushrooms
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • fresh diced onion
  • fresh garlic
  • Salt and pepper
Used the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes to saute the onion and garlic. No point in wasting all that flavor.

Cabbage with grapes and giardiniera
  • Small head of cabbage cut into 1 inch slices
  • Sliced grapes
  • Chicago style hot giardiniera
  • Fresh diced onion
  • Fresh garlic
  • Salt
  • Balsamic vinegar
Sauteed onion, garlic, and giardiniera with salt. Added grapes and stirred for about a minute before adding the cabbage, more salt, and simmering until desired texture reached.

The ham steaks were just browned in a skillet with a couple of whole cloves of garlic to flavor the oil.

Was in my home-town last weekend which is home to the only game meat retail store in the province. Splurged a bit and rushed it all back to my freezer in London.

London, Ontario?

London, Ontario?

Yep. From Sarnia to London, ice-packs abound.

That always makes me think of a character from the webcomic Spinerette:

http://spinnerette.wikia.com/wiki/Werewolf_of_London,_Ontario

My meager Thanksgiving contributions this year.
e61d1ac73b96a2a52fefec8d29874caa.jpg

Cranberry sauce

7ad5120c7034f94a4a23e564c4c3cdf0.jpg

honey-molasses wheat bread (clone from Cheesecake Factory)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

effaab50cf470c91a46a50c6f6e635e7.jpg

Panera cookies, but baked better.

a0425b26ee3660d8540703a64d64061b.jpg

Coco biscotti.

Definitely bitten by the baking bug on Saturday.

I figure this is a good place to ask, what are you guys planning for Christmas Dinner!

Here, as it is summer, we will start with nibbles, such as vegetables, cheese, dip etc, while we open presents.

Foe the main we will have ham, maybe 1/2 of it baked, 1/2 not. We will have roast or bbq chicken. I haven’t decided if I am roasting them myself or buying bbq chicken and reheating or having it cold. This will be served with a crisp green salad. A light meal really.

For dessert we are having Christmas cake my parents have made, basted regularly with brandy, and individual pavlovas and fruit.

Of course, there will be alcohol! And no doubt more nibbles during games!

How does that sound?

I wish I had recorded the date I bought the bag of rice I have at home. This year we bought out first car so I could finally lug a big bag back from the grocery store. 8kg of calrose brown rice for about 15 CDN. It's been feeding me for around 5 days/week for 3-4 months. I usually add beans that I've cooked at home, tofu, and some type of sauce or seasoning.

Compare that to the weekly chicken I used to consume at 12 dollars/week.

Cranberry sauce

Did you bake the cranberry sauce?
Oh goodness no. You put the sauce on the baking pan (with raised edges) to help it cool off quicker. Stuff was so good I made a double batch that weekend. A little bit of peppermint is huge. Completes the flavor!

My aunt used Ginger in her sauce which was nice. It provided subtle flavor on the back end. What I like about the mint is that the mint comes first, then the sour, then the blissfulness of the whole thing being perfect. I was pondering nutmeg, which would add a bit of stump to the sauce, but went with my gut.

Cranberry sauce

Did you bake the cranberry sauce?
Oh goodness no. You put the sauce on the baking pan (with raised edges) to help it cool off quicker. Stuff was so good I made a double batch that weekend. A little bit of peppermint is huge. Completes the flavor!

My aunt used Ginger in her sauce which was nice. It provided subtle flavor on the back end. What I like about the mint is that the mint comes first, then the sour, then the blissfulness of the whole thing being perfect. I was pondering nutmeg, which would add a bit of stump to the sauce, but went with my gut.

Ah, OK. I thought maybe you baked it to get more carmelization or something.

Me, I go for simplicity: cranberries, water, sugar, and maybe a little citrus.

- - - Updated - - -

I figure this is a good place to ask, what are you guys planning for Christmas Dinner!

Here, as it is summer, we will start with nibbles, such as vegetables, cheese, dip etc, while we open presents.

Foe the main we will have ham, maybe 1/2 of it baked, 1/2 not. We will have roast or bbq chicken. I haven’t decided if I am roasting them myself or buying bbq chicken and reheating or having it cold. This will be served with a crisp green salad. A light meal really.

For dessert we are having Christmas cake my parents have made, basted regularly with brandy, and individual pavlovas and fruit.

Of course, there will be alcohol! And no doubt more nibbles during games!

How does that sound?

I wussed out and didn't make Thanksgiving dinner this year. We just bought a big dinner from Boston Market the day before. So I expect I'll need to make up for that with Christmas dinner. Normally, I do ham for Christmas to counter the turkey for Thanksgiving, but now I'm not sure. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom