• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

I never thought I'd post anything in this thread because MS Tharmas and I don’t cook. We sort of live off the hot plate at Whole Foods and similar venues, IOW pre-cooked meals.

However, just about every Sunday I cook us brunch. Sometimes it’s from a published recipe, and sometimes I wing it.

Today I made a Blueberry-Lemon Dutch Baby (from a recipe I found in the local paper a couple of years ago). It’s turned out well before, and it did again this morning, so I actually took a picture.

It’s quite sweet, but there’s a “Savory Baby” option in the recipe which I’ve also made. We find both versions delicious!2019-01-20_11-43-18.jpg

I made some sausage gravy with veggie sausage patties. It was surprisingly good.

Having great success finding low carb and low sugar options. I just made a chocolate microwave cake using coconut flour and splenda for sweetener. I topped it with Breyers carb smart or whatever vanilla ice cream and it is so delicious!

I am on a low residue diet for a couple of weeks, and so will be cooking plain food.

Any ideas on how to vamp it up?

Interesting. I never heard of this type of diet until now. I would have no clue how to do it. Is Google forthcoming at all? Surely there are others who have to adjust their diet like this.

I am on a low residue diet for a couple of weeks, and so will be cooking plain food.

Interesting. I never heard of this type of diet until now. I would have no clue how to do it. Is Google forthcoming at all? Surely there are others who have to adjust their diet like this.
Basically it’s a diet that is low in fibre, sometimes called the FodMap diet. I can eat pretty much any meat, but have to watch the veggies. Nothing with a lot of fibre, or seeds. I have just had a bad bout of diverticulitis, and I want to a avoid a recurrence. I am on it for 2 weeks, then I can slowly increase fibre again, provided I tolerate it ok.

Basically it’s a diet that is low in fibre, sometimes called the FodMap diet. I can eat pretty much any meat, but have to watch the veggies. Nothing with a lot of fibre, or seeds. I have just had a bad bout of diverticulitis, and I want to a avoid a recurrence. I am on it for 2 weeks, then I can slowly increase fibre again, provided I tolerate it ok.

Ah, I see. About 20 years ago, I had a bout of diverticulitis, too. I thought I was going to die right there at work. Severe pain. But for me, taking fiber supplements is what helped. I haven't had a bout or any intestinal problems at all since then. I don't take the supplements anymore, but my regular diet is high in fiber.

I guess everyone has different tolerances for these things. Hope you get better soon! <3

Ah, I see. About 20 years ago, I had a bout of diverticulitis, too. I thought I was going to die right there at work. Severe pain. But for me, taking fiber supplements is what helped. I haven't had a bout or any intestinal problems at all since then. I don't take the supplements anymore, but my regular diet is high in fiber.

I guess everyone has different tolerances for these things. Hope you get better soon! <3

Thanks Floof! I am getting there. The good thing is that I am home for another week to recover, yes it was quite bad, and so I get to indulge in watermelon and rockmelon (cantelope to you non-metric ones). Eventually, I will move up to a high fibre diet, but that part of my body needs time to recover first. It will take about 6 weeks to get up there.

Turkey pot pie.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FERdavBJvpY[/YOUTUBE]

I've been using a lot of coconut flour lately and I love it. So delicious and versatile, and replaces a ton of white flour in my diet. Actually adds back in a lot of the recipes that I don't make anymore for wanting to avoid white flour.

The first thing to know about coconut flour is that it will never produce a product quite like a wheat flour baked good or gravy. If you want foods that pretend to be white flour foods, it's not really gonna happen. I don't think there is such a thing as an equal replacement for the divine foods of the gods that white flour creates.

That said, a coconut flour recipe is good shit in its own right. The important thing to me is that the coco flour foods are delicious and satisfying to me, whether they taste like wheat flour foods or not, and so far, coconut flour has exceeded my expectations.

The second thing to know is that coconut flour is way more absorbent so you only need anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount of wheat flour in a recipe.

My favorite coconut flour things so far are microwave mug cake and sausage gravy. Fantastic! I've made a wonderful banana bread and lemon cake as well.

Again, there is nothing on this earth like sausage gravy made with white flour, but the coconut flour gravy is so tasty. Very good replacement. I also use vegetable/tofu sausage (it was tough to find one I liked, Morning Star), so I am very pleasantly surprised at what is, I admit, rather an abomination of traditional sausage gravy. :D

I make it the same way as white flour gravy just with less coco flour - cook the sausage and crumble it, add butter or oil if needed for vegetarian sausage, fry up the coco flour until browned (not too brown... coco flour burns at a lower temp than white flour, apparently, and might turn a little bitter), add milk, and simmer stir to the thickness you like.

The chocolate mug cake is super easy. I spray a bowl (mugs overflow in the microwave) with baking spray, add all ingredients and stir until smooth, and then nuke for two minutes. Done. I have the recipe memorized already.

2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
2 tbsp of sugar or other sweetener of your choice
1 egg (vegetarians can use aquafaba, but I tried that and was not as pleased with the texture or the taste. good thing I'm not a vegetarian)
1/3 c milk

You can add vegetable or coconut oil if you want a richer, moister cake, but I usually top it with ice cream, so I don't really need the extra moisture or richness.

I've also made this mug cake with lemon or vanilla instead of cocoa. The vanilla was kind of meh, but the lemon was awesome.

My next coco flour experiment will be sponge cake. :love:

Split pea and ham soup with baked cheese puffs, bitches! :D

I hadn't made the puffs before and I ended up adding a little milk because the mixture was so dry. But now I see that is how it should be for them to be proper puffs instead of crisps. But omg are they delicious.

Soup's not done yet but smells like my best attempt so far. I added kale and mustard powder this time.

splitpeawhamkale.jpg
cheesepuffs.jpg
splitpeawhamkale2.jpg

Last edited:
I have been getting into baking recently. Here are my first efforts, every one delicious, as it turns out ...

Banana bread
fHT8UEo.jpg

Speculaas cake
PYyJtgD.jpg

Sponge cake with (a little too much) buttercream
1Mjq1jo.jpg

Sponge cake with glacé cherries and icing
L8xdcjr.jpg

I made spaghetti casserole using spaghetti squash instead of noodles. Turned out great.

I've been attempting to bake myself some good artisenal-style bread for several years now. Needs to have a crispy crust, soft crumb with lots of air holes, and of course good hearty taste. I finally made it all come together since I bought a small dutch oven (a Staub 4 qt cocotte). I've got a large size toaster oven with convection by Oster so it fits with room to spare. Been using it for braising meat dishes and it works great. But I also heard it can be used for bread. Can it ever! First try and the results were exactly as prescribed. At the same time I tried a new bread recipe that called for beer and all I had in the house was a Yuengling porter. As it turns out porters and stouts are the perfect choice because they have lots of complex malty flavors and less hops which tend to just leave their bitterness after baking. Actually I've been looking for how to add malt to the recipe all along since I see it on the ingredients of most breads. But I couldn't find a source. Duh, it's in beer! So now my adventure continues trying every kind of porter and stout I can lay my hands on. Just got a Founders Imperial Stout, which is a bit high end. I'm not a big beer drinker but now I have an excuse to explore some of the more refined examples.

The recipe is very easy -
Combine 2 cups AP flour + 1/4 tsp rapid rise yeast + 1/2 tsp salt + water (I forget how much at the moment) + 2 oz beer + 1 tsp white vinegar. Mix well with a large spoon. Place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let ferment for 8 to 18 hours (I do 18 in a proofing box I bought). Place dough on a lightly floured surface and kneed about 20 times by hand. Form a ball and place on a longish piece of greased parchment paper in about a 10" skillet (this helps hold the shape). Cover with a towel (or place back in the proofing box with a tray of water for humidity) and let rise for 2 hours. Half an hour before baking heat the cocotte in the oven at 450F. Make a 1/2 inch deep slash across the top of the dough with a sharp knife. Remove the cocotte from the oven and lower the dough into it using the parchment paper. Let the paper hang over the edges and place cover on top. Bake at 425F for 30 min covered and then 20 min uncovered. Takes a long time but not much of it's actual hands-on. No need for a fancy mixer with a dough hook either. I can even prep the dough after work during the week and bake it the next evening.

Last edited:
I wanted to make a hearty stew with what I have on hand so I don't have to go out to the store. It's one of those days where I felt like I had nothing in the cupboard, but then it turned out I had plenty. So I made sweet potato chickpea kale soup.

Sauted onion in olive oil, added beef broth, diced sw potatoes, a can of chickpeas, and a cup or so of frozen kale. Seasoned with garlic, basil, oregano, and a couple other spices I forget now, plus salt and pepper.

Figured out why my cannellini bean and leak soup wasn't very good. NOT ENOUGH GARLIC!
In a large sauce pan -
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 bulb garlic, diced
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
When garlic blooms, add -
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 2 large dried bay leaves
  • 3 oz green tops from leeks, fine chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, 1/4" chopped
Cover and simmer for 20 min. Add -
  • 4 oz white leek stalk, 1/4" chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2, 15 oz cans organic cannellini beans, undrained
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 8 oz white button mushrooms, 1/2" chopped
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • some parsley, fine minced
Cover and simmer for 20 min.

Freezes very well, making it a winner. Next time will double the recipe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom