• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

bimetllic-siberian.jpg

Making sweet potato soup.

So simple: sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, chicken broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper and some other seasonings that I just blindly sprinkled in.

Making sweet potato soup.

So simple: sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, chicken broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper and some other seasonings that I just blindly sprinkled in.

That's wild and creative!

Only missing two things: fresh garlic, so I used powder, though it would have been better with fresh or nothing at all. And some cooking wine in the saute step. Next time.

Making soup.

lentils
carrots
spinach
onion
garlic
mushrooms
crushed tomatoes
vegetable broth
basil, oregano, salt, pepper

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, then throw all ingredients in, bring to boil, then simmer.

edit: regretting the basil. :/

edit 2: Not bad soup in spite of the basil. The mushrooms are kind of a waste in this soup because you can't really taste them. I'll save them for something else where their flavor can be highlighted. This is a really robust, yummy soup. Super filling.

For next time: no basil, no mushrooms, less tomatoes, and maybe try beef broth instead of vegetable broth.

Last edited:
Making soup.

lentils
carrots
spinach
onion
garlic
mushrooms
crushed tomatoes
vegetable broth
basil, oregano, salt, pepper

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, then throw all ingredients in, bring to boil, then simmer.

edit: regretting the basil. :/

edit 2: Not bad soup in spite of the basil. The mushrooms are kind of a waste in this soup because you can't really taste them. I'll save them for something else where their flavor can be highlighted. This is a really robust, yummy soup.

For next time: no basil, no mushrooms, less tomatoes, and maybe try beef broth instead of vegetable broth.

Thai basil might have worked better than regular basil ... if you can find it locally. Wish I could.

[YOUTUBE]Y_9QImcJmSg[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty cool trick if you have a rice cooker.

Just measure out the water & rice as you normally would, add salt & pepper to taste, add a bit of olive oil, and a ripe tomato with the stem removed.

I'm going to have to try this one.

Mikey then gooses it up by adding a bunch of extra ingredients, but I think I would probably like the simple version better. Simple is good.

[YOUTUBE]Y_9QImcJmSg[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty cool trick if you have a rice cooker.

Just measure out the water & rice as you normally would, add salt & pepper to taste, add a bit of olive oil, and a ripe tomato with the stem removed.

I'm going to have to try this one.

Mikey then gooses it up by adding a bunch of extra ingredients, but I think I would probably like the simple version better. Simple is good.

Could you put microwave rice in a microwave bowl and add a whole canned tomatoe with a light drizzle of Worcestershire sauce?

Tonight’s dinner

AE7934B5-349F-4593-991E-01E077DECF34.jpeg

Whole cherry tomatoes, quartered mushroom and yellow button squash, with sliced zucchini and some capsicum chunks, drizzled with garlic infused olive oil and balsamic reduction, some salt and pepper.

I served it over rice and we put some grated cheese on top to be mixed in.

I wasn't happy with the lentil soup at first, but I must say it is way more delicious as reheated leftovers, basil and all.

So anyway, the best cranberry sauce is:

12 oz cranberries (one bag)
1 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar

and the secret ingredient is a small splash of peppermint extract

Cooking is simple, add sugar to OJ in a pot, Heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add cranberries and cook at medium heat until cranberries have popped. Add splash of peppermint, stir well to mix it all up. Pour out onto cookie baking pan with raised edges to cool and thicken.

Back
Top Bottom