• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

For Christians, define god

But you’re the one who said that we can see the effects of God. Those are generally referred to as miracles. If you did not mean that, what effects were you talking about when you said we can see the effects of God and how would we distinguish those from what it would be like if there wasn’t a deity involved in them?
The universe exists, does it not? As for the second part, I don't see how you could... we only have the one universe to observe. Where's the control for this experiment?

Indeed, I don't see how a Newtonian miracle would prove that God had created the universe itself. Wouldn't it just prove that he's capable of breaking it? I can break a lot more machines I know how to make.

This is exactly what the OP was getting on about. Whenever someone tries to pin down a Christian on what it is that they’re talking about, the definition changes from person to person and its impossible to have a conversation because they’re all referring to different things.
Shocking. It is almost as though people might be different from one another, or have different opinions about things.

Try to do what? The OP asked for a Christian take on a question, I did my best to answer it. But really, there isn't a lot there. I've never been burdened with the conceit of imagining I have answers to all the big questions. There's no need to be rude about it. I don't believe in "miracles" of the Newtonian sort, which seems to be what your question is about, or the natural/supernatural divide it implies.
You are being awfully evasive, only describing what you don't believe. The OP was about what is believed.

But, from your posts, it sounds like you are more a Deist rather than a Christian. But then you are being so cagey that it is impossible to tell.
Cagey? You make it sound like I have some sort of secret position I'm not disclosing. Am I part of a shadowy conspiracy to confuse atheists now? :dancing:

Refusing to give strong, specific answers to questions that no one honestly has an answer to, does not make me less honest than someone who is selling you some bill of goods about the lot.
I didn't take the question to be about ultimate answers of what is known but about beliefs which you are not answering.

But you are still being cagey. You didn't respond to my guess that you are more of a Deist than a Christian.

Cagey? You make it sound like I have some sort of secret position I'm not disclosing. Am I part of a shadowy conspiracy to confuse atheists now? :dancing:

Refusing to give strong, specific answers to questions that no one honestly has an answer to, does not make me less honest than someone who is selling you some bill of goods about the lot.
I didn't take the question to be about ultimate answers of what is known but about beliefs.

But you are still being cagey. You didn't respond to my guess that you are more of a Deist than a Christian.
Are you asking whether I consider myself to be a Deist? No, I do not. The idea that God is hiding to one side of the natural/supernatural divide just sort of watching the TV of our lives does not appeal to me; I think it makes too many assumptions about that supposed dichotomy. I do not actually see God/the gods and separate from nature or natural processes at all. If you need a bin to stuff me into, pantheism or panentheism would be better fits. But really, I prefer agnosticism on most questions of import. I distrust the intellect of people with overly pat answers to things, and do not aspire to join their ranks.

I didn't take the question to be about ultimate answers of what is known but about beliefs.

Are you asking whether I consider myself to be a Deist? No, I do not. The idea that God is hiding to one side of the natural/supernatural divide just sort of watching the TV of our lives does not appeal to me; I think it makes too many assumptions about that supposed dichotomy. I do not actually see God/the gods and separate from nature or natural processes at all. If you need a bin to stuff me into, pantheism or panentheism would be better fits. But really, I prefer agnosticism on most questions of import. I distrust the intellect of people with overly pat answers to things, and do not aspire to join their ranks.
Thank you for the direct answer. It makes your prior responses clearer, or actually clear rather than enigmatic.

But you’re the one who said that we can see the effects of God. Those are generally referred to as miracles. If you did not mean that, what effects were you talking about when you said we can see the effects of God and how would we distinguish those from what it would be like if there wasn’t a deity involved in them?
The universe exists, does it not? As for the second part, I don't see how you could... we only have the one universe to observe. Where's the control for this experiment?

Indeed, I don't see how a Newtonian miracle would prove that God had created the universe itself. Wouldn't it just prove that he's capable of breaking it? I can break a lot more machines I know how to make.

This is exactly what the OP was getting on about. Whenever someone tries to pin down a Christian on what it is that they’re talking about, the definition changes from person to person and its impossible to have a conversation because they’re all referring to different things.
Shocking. It is almost as though people might be different from one another, or have different opinions about things.

People do have different opinions. But in mainstream religions, that is not allowed; It's called 'heresy', and up until very recently could get you seriously set on fire.

Only in a secular society is such a thing NOT shocking. History tells us that such societies are a rarity. So from a broad perspective of humanity, yes, it is deeply shocking.

The explosion of different religious beliefs within Christianity is a strong indication that none is correct; And for centuries the various branches of Christianity have tried to resolve that glaring problem by violence, up to and including all out war.

The very idea of religious freedom is one which has been viewed with horror by most Christian (and Islamic) societies for almost all of history; Tolerating freedom of religion is an idea that has only become mainstream in the last couple of centuries, in a very small part of the world - and the result of freedom of religion is fragmentation of opinion.

A failure to move towards consensus is generally diagnostic of an erroneous hypothesis. If any of the religions or sects were based in fact, that sect would tend to dominate over time, if only because their expectations about the best course of action in any given circumstances would tend to be dashed less often than those of their heretical brethren.

Religions look exactly as we might predict them to look under the hypothesis that no gods exist outside fiction. They look nothing like we would predict under the hypothesis that there is a single god, or even a most powerful god amongst a pantheon.

Observed reality is consistent with atheism, or with a highly diverse polytheism of almost powerless small gods who are in constant competition for influence on reality. The latter is needlessly unparsimonious, and suffers from being almost universally disbelieved, which is a major blow against the likelihood of any religion's being non-fictional.

Isn't the universal Christian belief that God is the Supreme Being that created the universe and sent his Son to earth to be crucified and then resurrected.

I think all Christians would agree with that wouldn't they?

Isn't the universal Christian belief that God is the Supreme Being that created the universe and sent his Son to earth to be crucified and then resurrected.

And that means what?

If this is an appeal to popularity then Christianity loses as it has less than 1/3 of the world's population.

Surprisingly, no. Many self proclaimed Christians do not believe in a personal God. And many do not believe Jesus was in any sense divine. Not all Christians are orthodox by any means.

I shouldn't think so. You'd be surprised how few Christians actually fit the stencil of orthodoxy, when you really talk to people about things. Not that conservatives don't exist, but they don't have as much power as they pretend to have. Minds are free.

Surprisingly, no. Many self proclaimed Christians do not believe in a personal God. And many do not believe Jesus was in any sense divine. Not all Christians are orthodox by any means.

Don't forget Christians who believe that Jesus was a mythical, non-physical figure who could not possibly be 'sent to Earth.'

Nor should we forget the Christians who don't believe that Jesus was physically resurrected.

In my experience, the only thing that all Christians agree on is that the majority of their brethren are practicing their religion wrongly.

I didn't see the term "personal God" in RP's post. Neither did he mention the Trinity.
Try again.

And that means what?

If this is an appeal to popularity then Christianity loses as it has less than 1/3 of the world's population.

RP wasn't appealing to the universality of Christianity.
100% of Christians are Christians no matter what the other 2/3rds of worlds population are.

Don't forget Christians who believe that Jesus was a mythical, non-physical figure who could not possibly be 'sent to Earth.'

Nor should we forget the Christians who don't believe that Jesus was physically resurrected.

In my experience, the only thing that all Christians agree on is that the majority of their brethren are practicing their religion wrongly.

:) Quite true.

And then there is that a great many who identify as Christian only for social acceptance in their community, not because of belief.

People faking Christianity ?

...I never did believe those abnormally low atheists in prison stats.

People faking Christianity ?

...I never did believe those abnormally low atheists in prison stats.

Do you also believe the, "there are no atheists in foxholes", line too?

Personal experience informs me otherwise. The only thought when in a "bad situation" was getting gunship support. But then maybe the squad I was in was abnormal.

I didn't see the term "personal God" in RP's post. Neither did he mention the Trinity.
Try again.

It does not matter. The point was that there is a rather wide set of definitions for God among self described Christians. One cannot always assume a self described Christian is in any way orthodox or is any sort of Biblical literalist, fundamentalist, or evangelical.

Reactions: WAB
Try again.

It does not matter. The point was that there is a rather wide set of definitions for God among self described Christians. One cannot always assume a self described Christian is in any way orthodox or is any sort of Biblical literalist, fundamentalist, or evangelical.

If someone said they were Christian and didn't believe in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ they really aren't Christian.

There probably are exceptions but if you can't accept that definition then why bother attempting to figure out what defines Christians?

Try again.

If someone said they were Christian and didn't believe in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ they really aren't Christian.

There probably are exceptions but if you can't accept that definition then why bother attempting to figure out what defines Christians?

Why bother in the first place? :confused:

Why bother in the first place? :confused:

I don't know, why?

Try again.

Indeed,
Resurrection did not happen, say quarter of Christians
However, almost one in 10 people of no religion say they do believe the Easter story, but it has "some content that should not be taken literally".
A fifth of non-religious people believe in life after death, the poll suggests.
The Church of England said it showed many people held religious beliefs.

And American christian beliefs about whether the bible is leteral, or god breathed or just a book written by men.

Some christians like to tell other christians that they aren’t christians, although they love to count them as christians when they claim it’s a majority christian nation.

Parallel to the above (Rhea's post) and to some extent ,when atheists say to those who do not believe in certain things in the bible. You can often get the remark: "How can you be Christian and not believe what it says in the bible?" Some Christians would agree with the atheists.

Shouldn't affect the Gospel itself or Jesus and the teachings ...which IS the main thing!

Back
Top Bottom