• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Forgery suspect killed by cop restricting his airway

I'm not a fan of antifa, but I do think those who support the concept have been unfairly demonized during these protests.

It is the new Acorn or Planned Parenthood. Conservatives hate what they are doing, so will make up all kinds of unfounded criminal accusations that they will repeat until ‘everyone knows they do that’

And the fact that the thing they hate people doing is opposing fascism, that's pretty fucked

Former Commanders Fault Trump’s Use of Troops Against Protesters - The New York Times - "After military helicopters carried out a “show of force” mission to discourage protesters, retired senior military leaders condemned their successors for deploying such tactics."
As military helicopters flew low over the nation’s capital and National Guard units moved into many cities, Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper and General Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, publicly aligned themselves behind a president who chose tear gas and rubber bullets to clear peaceful protesters from a park so that he could stage a photo op at a nearby church.

Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, wrote on Twitter that “America is not a battleground. Our fellow citizens are not the enemy.” Gen. Tony Thomas, the former head of the Special Operations Command, tweeted: “The ‘battle space’ of America??? Not what America needs to hear … ever, unless we are invaded by an adversary or experience a constitutional failure … ie a Civil War.”

Adm. Mike Mullen, another former chairman, wrote in the Atlantic: “Whatever Trump’s goal in conducting his visit, he laid bare his disdain for the rights of peaceful protest in this country, gave succor to the leaders of other countries who take comfort in our domestic strife, and risked further politicizing the men and women of our armed forces.”
Trump’s Response to Protests Draws Bipartisan Rebuke in Congress - The New York Times
“After the president’s reality show ended last night, while the nation nervously watched the chaos that engulfs us, President Trump probably laid in bed pleased with himself for descending another rung on the dictatorial ladder,” Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, said on the Senate floor on Tuesday morning. “He probably wore out his remote control watching the clips of General Barr’s victory over the unarmed in the battle of Lafayette Square.”

He added: “It’s all so sad, so pathetic, so weak.”

On the other side of the Capitol, wielding her own Bible and quoting from the Book of Ecclesiastes, Speaker Nancy Pelosi urged the president to focus on “a time to heal,” adding that the aggressive scene that played out in Washington on Monday had “no place” in the nation’s capital.

“We would hope that the president of the United States would follow the lead of so many other presidents and be a healer in chief,” Ms. Pelosi said, “and not a fanner of the flame.”

“There is no right to riot, no right to destroy others’ property and no right to throw rocks at police,” Senator Ben Sasse, Republican of Nebraska, said in a statement. “But there is a fundamental — a constitutional — right to protest, and I’m against clearing out a peaceful protest for a photo op that treats the word of God as a political prop.”

His comments echoed those of Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, the only black Republican in the Senate, who denounced the move in unequivocal terms during an event hosted by Politico.

“If your question is, ‘Should you use tear gas to clear a path so the president can go have a photo op?’ the answer is no,” Mr. Scott said.

Trump's Bible Photo: What Democracy Scholars Thought - The New York Times
If another leader of another nation stood in another simmering capital and instructed police and law enforcement to “dominate the streets” against protesters, then walked through a park where government officers had forcibly cleared demonstrators from his path, then arrived outside a church to hold a Bible aloft like a championship trophy for the cameras — well, what would America think of that?

“If we were seeing this in another country,” said Kori Schake, a former Pentagon official and Republican policy adviser, “we would be deeply concerned and talking about the foreign policy consequences of states behaving this way.”

“Every believer I talked to certainly appreciates what the president did and the message he was sending,” said Robert Jeffress, the pastor of First Baptist Dallas and a stalwart evangelical Trump supporter. “I think it will be one of those historic moments in his presidency, especially when set against the backdrop of nights of violence throughout our country.”
On the other side, Democrats are using a certain word to describe him:
“The words of a dictator,” Senator Kamala Harris of California said.

“He behaves like a dictator,” Senator Ed Markey of Massachusetts tweeted.

“For us to just shut our eyes and somehow believe he won’t go that far — he just ordered the federal government to fire at innocent protesters,” Representative Ruben Gallego of Arizona said in an interview. “We need to accept the fact that this president, if given the opportunity, will try to be a dictator.”

Mr. Gallego, a veteran of the Iraq War, predicted that military leaders would find themselves at a decision point soon: “They’re going to have to say no to the president and not follow illegal orders.”
Then about how Trump is an "authoritarian populist", someone who believes that he alone represents the people.

About his Bible-waving,
“Trump doesn’t quote anything from the Bible. He really just uses it as a pure symbol of partisan identity,” she said, adding: “Authoritarianism frequently comes veiled in religion.”
His wrapping himself in religion is much like Viktor Orban of Hungary and Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey.

For his part, he claims that a "SILENT MAJORITY" is on his side.

I'm not a fan of antifa, but I do think those who support the concept have been unfairly demonized during these protests.

It is the new Acorn or Planned Parenthood. Conservatives hate what they are doing, so will make up all kinds of unfounded criminal accusations that they will repeat until ‘everyone knows they do that’

If you live in the Pacific Northwest, Antifa is hardly new. They’ve been a pest for a long time.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest, Antifa is hardly new. They’ve been a pest for a long time.

Yea, they are bunch of assholes. Great tools for Trump though.

State of Minnesota files civil rights charge against Minneapolis Police Department
The inquiry, stemming from the death of George Floyd, will be designed to root out "systemic racism that is generations deep," Gov. Tim Walz told reporters.

"The Minnesota of Department of Human Rights is filing a commissioner's charge of discrimination to launch a civil rights investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department," Walz said.

"The investigation will review MPD's policies, procedures and practices over the last 10 years to determine if the department has utilized systemic discriminatory practices towards people of color."

Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero said the agency served papers on the city at about 1 p.m. CT Tuesday.

Lucero said that while investigators will have subpoena power, she expects the city to be open with records and that she hopes to have findings in "several months."

"We're really hoping that this is something ... we can move very quickly on, because of shared values and goals around this issue," she said.

Well, the guy was not "white", he was ukrainian, and apparently fought pro-russian "separatists" in Eastern Ukraine. Only the best.

Ukrainians aren't white. I guess that makes Russians not white too. :rolleyesa:

Race is a social construct. Categorization of individuals is not consistent across time, geography and culture. Some people say Muslims, Jews, Gypsies, and Ukrainians are not White. Some people think Irish, Portuguese, Arabs are not White. Some people classify Northern Africans and Caucasian Indians as Black. The relationship of sociological race which is inconsistent around the world to biology is loose and in some populations unknown. The biology is imperfect and sometimes unknown, too, but when people talk whiteness they are operating in the context of their cultural learnings.

Widespread looting in NYC.
Looters strike luxury shops around NYC before curfew sets in

Is deBlasio fiddling? NYC needs much harder police response!
And why hasn't Cuomo mobilized the national guard yet?

What you don't seem to understand is that we seem to have three groups in play at this point.

1) The protesters. They appear to be pretty much non-violent, but are getting attacked by the police without justification in many cities. There is a lot of video out there of crowds doing nothing but speaking and getting attacked. There is plenty of video of reporters being attacked by the police for covering the protests. Can't have the reporters showing that the protesters aren't the violent ones.

2) The looters. Some of it is probably opportunistic, some of it appears to be organized (probably gangs doing it.)

3) The vandals. Some is probably just scumbags who enjoy doing it and think they can get away with it now. Some of it appears to be organized, those that have been identified seem to be white nationalists.

It's groups 2 and 3 that are the problem, but they hit and run, the cops go after the easy catches, never mind that they're almost certainly not guilty.

Hong Kongers have been on the streets protesting for over a year.

Not one shop looted.

Not. One.

I am happy to broadly agree with you for once.

In fact, I read of one incident where an opportunist thief did some looting (3 mobile phones) and the protesters tied him to railings until the police arrived to arrest him. He was charged, he confessed and was sentenced.

However, mainland Chinese-owned businesses were vandalised by the protesters and set on fire. Protesters also threw petrol bombs at police. For some reason, they drew a line at looting.

Because Hong Kong doesn't have the organized looters that the US does.

Well, the guy was not "white", he was ukrainian, and apparently fought pro-russian "separatists" in Eastern Ukraine. Only the best.

Ukrainians aren't white. I guess that makes Russians not white too. :rolleyesa:

Race is a social construct. Categorization of individuals is not consistent across time, geography and culture. Some people say Muslims, Jews, Gypsies, and Ukrainians are not White.
I should have known this would start this :)
I made a joke (internal one at that) which was interpreted through your own american views which has little to do with that joke. The joke makes a reference to half-serious and half-humorous "theories" spread in Ukraine about ukrainian history.

There is not as much economic disparity in Hong Kong. If Hong Kong chinese and mainland Chinese presence in Hong Kong had an economic hierarchy and similar dynamics to US, you'd see the same thing.

There is not as much economic disparity in Hong Kong. If Hong Kong chinese and mainland Chinese presence in Hong Kong had an economic hierarchy and similar dynamics to US, you'd see the same thing.

Abuses by local authorities in Hong Kong are a real problem but not the central issue behind the protests.

People are protesting the gradual takeover of the government by mainland Chinese authorities. The protesters want to preserve the way things have been in Hong Kong for decades, not bring about a dramatic change. Their ire isn't directed at the local hierarchy, except for those individuals believed to be collaborators.

Last edited:
What I find fascinating is that the "law and order" crowd are focusing on the relatively small number of looters and rioters of any ideological persuasion instead of the clear lesson that this tragedy struck a real chord across the USA.
Actually I think they realise this very well. And they are terrified of it ! Hence the distraction and what-about-ery.

What you don't seem to understand is that we seem to have three groups in play at this point.

1) The protesters. They appear to be pretty much non-violent, but are getting attacked by the police without justification in many cities. There is a lot of video out there of crowds doing nothing but speaking and getting attacked. There is plenty of video of reporters being attacked by the police for covering the protests. Can't have the reporters showing that the protesters aren't the violent ones.

2) The looters. Some of it is probably opportunistic, some of it appears to be organized (probably gangs doing it.)

3) The vandals. Some is probably just scumbags who enjoy doing it and think they can get away with it now. Some of it appears to be organized, those that have been identified seem to be white nationalists.

It's groups 2 and 3 that are the problem, but they hit and run, the cops go after the easy catches, never mind that they're almost certainly not guilty.
Very well said !

Back
Top Bottom