• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gender Roles

Titania McGrath shares "her" views on woke culture. Please do NOT click unless you're in for the giggles.
Just... Wow. Like holy shit wow. I've never seen such a Trainwreck of not-even-wrong before.
For anyone else who has missed the point... I would suggest you consider things like The Onion or The Babylon Bee before finding yourself aghast at Titania McGrath.

Here at the IIDB, sarcasm and satire are sometimes taken seriously. Although I am one of the worst offenders, I have asked others to inject emoticons to clarify. But prefacing a parody with "Warning: This is Satire" is bit like watching a film like Sixth Sense after reading the spoilers. Still I don't think I kept the fact it is satire overly-secret, even putting "her" in quote marks -- Titania McGrath is a parody persona of a male comedian.

Every single sentence of the article reeks of extreme satire. Pick ANY sentence at random and tell us whether the sentence is OBVIOUSLY sarcastic. I found the whole article hugely hilarious.

Fellow Infidels may have noted I'm a Bill Maher fan and do not sit on the same side of the aisle as extreme wokeists. I posted in part to see if extreme advocates of "woke" could also see the humor in the article.

I wonder how I would feel if I read a brilliant parody of views I agree with. But such parody might be hard to find. It takes intelligence to produce such great satire, and very intelligent people generally agree with me! :lol: :dancing: :lol: :dancing: :lol: :lol: :lol: :encouragement:

Satires go both ways, though. Yes, it's pretty obvious that there's a satire there, however it's a satire presented such that it strongly appears to be mockery of the idea of gender at all. I gathered it as a satirical mockery of the idea that gender has biological realities, like a conservative version of the Onion.

Of course it's "satire", but the issue I have with it is that it's satire that, in its treatment, embeds an unearned dismissiveness of the science, ultimately supporting the Dawkins/Rawlings idiocy that we see proudly supported by the right.

It seemed to be as if the author is themselves a straw-man.

Good satire of the form The Onion produces is generally "quiet part said blatantly loud" or "all the things said, but in the same place".

That piece was more "Gish Galloping Army of Straw Men", from my reading, made to present trans issues as of trans people and advocates are insane science deniers. Propaganda presented as satire when it's just propaganda intended to gaslight trans advocates.

Legislation based on "biological sex" can only be enforced by the involuntary violation of women's privacy and bodily autonomy. Without the cooperation of the accused, there is no way to "prove" that a person was born male or female, except by non-consensual exposure of their body, or non-consensual requisition of bodily samples. In short, every TERF rapes women, and indeed their primary targets are girls. They just use the State to do their dirty work for them, so they don't have to think about what it means. A crime by proxy is not a crime, in their imagination. But they still have victims.

Titania McGrath shares "her" views on woke culture. Please do NOT click unless you're in for the giggles.
Just... Wow. Like holy shit wow. I've never seen such a Trainwreck of not-even-wrong before.
For anyone else who has missed the point... I would suggest you consider things like The Onion or The Babylon Bee before finding yourself aghast at Titania McGrath.

Here at the IIDB, sarcasm and satire are sometimes taken seriously. Although I am one of the worst offenders, I have asked others to inject emoticons to clarify. But prefacing a parody with "Warning: This is Satire" is bit like watching a film like Sixth Sense after reading the spoilers. Still I don't think I kept the fact it is satire overly-secret, even putting "her" in quote marks -- Titania McGrath is a parody persona of a male comedian.
It's the curse of casual written communication--the perceptions we would have in person are gone but the compensation that a professional writer would use doesn't replace it.

It's the curse of casual written communication--the perceptions we would have in person are gone but the compensation that a professional writer would use doesn't replace it.
As I stated before, regardless of intent, when conservatives "satirize", it generally ends up being a gish-gallop of straw men. Such "satire" simply fails to be satirical at all, and falls on its face as propaganda.

There's nothing funny or satirical about it. It's just a straight up lie at that point.

There's a difference between hyperbolic extension of an opposing argument to its logical ends and instead taking a straw man to do the same.

Maybe I'm off the mark here but that piece of text was appeared pretty firmly to straw-man the opposition rather than hyperbolically extending their opposition's actual arguments.

Legislation based on "biological sex" can only be enforced by the involuntary violation of women's privacy and bodily autonomy. Without the cooperation of the accused, there is no way to "prove" that a person was born male or female, except by non-consensual exposure of their body, or non-consensual requisition of bodily samples.
This is some postmodern philosophical bullshit, Poli.

Humans are sexually dimorphic. At the end of the day, sex is defined based on the type of reproductive system a person has. But that's far from the only way to discern a person's sex. There are a plethora of secondary and sex-correlated traits that are obvious and apparent in the vast majority of cases. FFS, do you really think that nobody at all has any idea whether Jason Momoa is a male or a female? It's all just a guess in your mind? That's just downright rhetorical misdirection and intentionally misleading argumentation.

How do you tell whether a peafowl is male or female without sticking your finger up their cloaca? JFC, the idea that the only possible way we can discern a person's sex is by forcing them to drop trou is ridiculous.
In short, every TERF rapes women, and indeed their primary targets are girls. They just use the State to do their dirty work for them, so they don't have to think about what it means. A crime by proxy is not a crime, in their imagination. But they still have victims.
This is some twisted bullshit, and it's so far divorced from reality I don't even know where to begin. This is fucked up.

But that's far from the only way to discern a person's sex
It's the only way to determine the sex of a person whose secondary characteristics are contradictory or ambiguous, and who you suspect of lying.

Which is the entire problem here.

It's the only way to determine the sex of a person whose secondary characteristics are contradictory or ambiguous, and who you suspect of lying.

No, that's not the problem, and it never really has been. The problem isn't females who have features that are a bit more masculine than the average woman, nor is it females who seem somewhat androgynous. The problem is people who are OBVIOUSLY male who are claiming they have a RIGHT to invade female-only spaces because of their gender feelings.

Cases like Colleen Francis or Darren Merager or Alex Drummond or Eddie Izzard

No, that's not the problem, and it never really has been. The problem isn't females who have features that are a bit more masculine than the average woman, nor is it females who seem somewhat androgynous. The problem is people who are OBVIOUSLY male who are claiming they have a RIGHT to invade female-only spaces because of their gender feelings.

That may be *a* problem your approach solves, but it's not *the* problem. On the other hand, what Politesse and bilby describe is a problem your approach *creates*. If you think that's a price worth paying, you're welcome to say so explicitly, but pretending it doesn't exist is either dishonest or naive.

This is a complex world where actions have unintended consequences. Judging them by their intent only is going to predictably lead to suboptimal solutions.

That may be *a* problem your approach solves, but it's not *the* problem. On the other hand, what Politesse and bilby describe is a problem your approach *creates*. If you think that's a price worth paying, you're welcome to say so explicitly, but pretending it doesn't exist is either dishonest or naive.

This is a complex world where actions have unintended consequences. Judging them by their intent only is going to predictably lead to suboptimal solutions.
I strongly disagree.

Look - for many, many years, none of this was a problem at all. We had some transsexual people who used female spaces, and they were accepted into them. In some very few cases, it's because we couldn't tell that they were female - they successfully passed. When we're talking about bathrooms, passing just means that they looked reasonably female and didn't have any obvious male indicators. A somewhat masculine or butch looking person that still had the overall general physique of a female human being was never questioned. Even when they didn't pass well, even when they had an easily discernible adam's apple and huge shoulders and a 5-o'clock shadow, it was never a problem in bathrooms because they were always clearly trying to pass, were clearly trying to fit in, and were clearly respectful and considerate of the women around them. When we're talking showers or similar, they either had genital reconstruction surgeries or they kept their genitals covered so as to not make it obvious that they were actually male.

We were already accepting of transsexual people.

The problem we have now is different. The problem is that within the last decade or so, the entire paradigm shifted so that it's now based only on a person's declaration that they feel transgender. Now, we end up with people who are obviously male in female spaces - and they don't pass well, they're frequently not even trying hard to pass, and even more than that - they domineeringly demand that we MUST accept them without question. Now we're in a situation where LITERALLY any man on the fucking planet has been given free access to any female space and women are no longer allowed to question them or to tell them to leave. We're in a situation where any man at all can literally toss on some fucking lipstick, waltz into the female side of a nude spa with his dick a swinging... and if women feel uncomfortable with this, women are told that they're bigots who need to be reeducated and just accept that the dude with the semi sitting in the spa next to you is just as much of a women as you are.

Do you not get the problem with this? Do you not see the shift that has happened?

And now, we end up with this misleading narrative that the only way you can tell someone's sex is by forcibly checking their potty parts... as if we don't have millions of years of evolution behind us that allows us to pretty accurately discern a person's sex, as if Eddie Izzard is totally interchangeable with Zooey Deschanel and nobody can possibly tell the difference. FFS, you guys end up arguing that if Zooey is wearing pants and Eddie is wearing heels, everyone on the entire planet is going to be totally convinced that Zooey is a dude and Eddie is a chick.

It's wrong, it's blatantly false, and you all know it. You absolutely know this isn't the case, but the same narrative keeps getting pushed - and it's pushed by MALES. It's not females in here trying to gaslight me into thinking that it somehow hurts women if we try to maintain a reasonable expectation of sex-separated spaces, that it's a violation of women's autonomy to have some reasonable expectation that we're not going to find ourselves forced to share intimate spaces with a person with a dick and balls.

It's never women insisting this - it's always males who are demanding that if women don't submissively accept any male who says they have gendery feels as being just as much a women as they are then we're hurting women.

How on earth can you possibly thing that women wanting to retain sex-specific intimate spaces is somehow a newly created problem that will hurt women... and that forcing women to allow any man who says magic words into those spaces is somehow going to be good for women?

Legislation based on "biological sex" can only be enforced by the involuntary violation of women's privacy and bodily autonomy. Without the cooperation of the accused, there is no way to "prove" that a person was born male or female, except by non-consensual exposure of their body, or non-consensual requisition of bodily samples.
Humans are sexually dimorphic. At the end of the day, sex is defined based on the type of reproductive system a person has. But that's far from the only way to discern a person's sex. There are a plethora of secondary and sex-correlated traits that are obvious and apparent in the vast majority of cases. FFS, do you really think that nobody at all has any idea whether Jason Momoa is a male or a female? It's all just a guess in your mind? That's just downright rhetorical misdirection and intentionally misleading argumentation.
So you believe that sex discrimination should not require any determinant of sex except for the arresting officer's stupid fucking opinion? A woman can be sent to prison for life in a men's prison, just because someone else thinks she "looks like a t*****"?

Me, I don't think anyone has a right to tell Jason Momoa what pronouns to use except for Jason Momoa, and for what it's worth, I'm 100% certain that Jason Momoa agrees with me. He's a good guy, actually, and good to his fans. All of his fans, not just braindead Christians.

It's never women insisting this - it's always males who are demanding that if women don't submissively accept any male who says they have gendery feels as being just as much a women as they are then we're hurting women.
Are you... seriously denying the very existence of non-bigoted women? I assure you, not every woman is a 19th century schoolmarm. I certainly don't remember my mother ever teaching me to hate anyone for being different from me. In fact, I think she'd disown me if she ever heard me talking about someone else the way you talk about people who believe different things from you. Her mother, either, and she was a probation officer, so in her case it certainly wasn't due to never having met a trans person...

Are you... seriously denying the very existence of non-bigoted women? I assure you, not every woman is a 19th century schoolmarm.
Nope, definitely not.

Are you denying the very existence of women who want a man free place for personal business? Stuff like excretion, feminine hygiene, or just primping a bit? Are you denying that there is a room right next door with all the facilities that the Women's room has?

Are you telling women who don't agree with you about such personal views that they are bigots? Or are you just mansplaining to the wimmins what they ought to feel and agree to?
Tom

Are you denying the very existence of women who want a man free place for personal business?
Obviously not. Everyone knows that trans exclusionary feminists exist, they are as loud and public about their beliefs as a person can be. But no faith group should be allowed to conduct the affairs of others.

Are you telling women who don't agree with you about such personal views that they are bigots?
No. I have no interest whatsoever in determining who is or is not a "bigot", whatever that term may mean. I do oppose bigotry, but that is an action and a choice, not an essential state of being.

Are you denying the very existence of women who want a man free place for personal business?
Obviously not. Everyone knows that trans exclusionary feminists exist, they are as loud and public about their beliefs as a person can be. But no faith group should be allowed to conduct the affairs of others.
Faith group?

How are women who want a man free place a faith group?

I mean seriously. Why do you find it so easy to exclude women? People who don't find your agenda much worth addressing?

Sorry dude, you are the bigot here.

Those stupid chicks! How dare they want something us dudes have already told them to get over...
Tom

This is some postmodern philosophical bullshit, Poli.

The vast majority is not the totality. The distribution is extremely bimodal but intermediate states do exist.

And note that there's no big evolutionary problem with mental attributes not matching up with physical ones. Homosexuality simply doesn't have enough pressure to breed itself out (and might even be being selected for--later in the birth order increases the odds of homosexuality. It could easily be that once you've had some kids providing spare parents is reproductively advantageous.) Why would non-conforming gender breed itself out, either? Especially in times past where things were more about practical than desires.

We were already accepting of transsexual people.

The problem we have now is different. The problem is that within the last decade or so, the entire paradigm shifted so that it's now based only on a person's declaration that they feel transgender. Now, we end up with people who are obviously male in female spaces - and they don't pass well, they're frequently not even trying hard to pass, and even more than that - they domineeringly demand that we MUST accept them without question. Now we're in a situation where LITERALLY any man on the fucking planet has been given free access to any female space and women are no longer allowed to question them or to tell them to leave. We're in a situation where any man at all can literally toss on some fucking lipstick, waltz into the female side of a nude spa with his dick a swinging... and if women feel uncomfortable with this, women are told that they're bigots who need to be reeducated and just accept that the dude with the semi sitting in the spa next to you is just as much of a women as you are.

Do you not get the problem with this? Do you not see the shift that has happened?
1) You think you knew the situation. And note that that applies to bathrooms, not changing rooms.

2) Basically what you're objecting to here is people not playing the role adequately.

The words you're trying to drag kicking and screaming out of my mouth ... are not "plain and common English". They're Newspeak. English doesn't have words for the meaning I meant to convey so I pulled in a language that does. ...
... linguistics is what I have a degree in. And from a linguistic perspective, it's clear that singular "they" is at least as old as Modern English.
Not so clear...
A bit imprecise. What really seems to be going on is not that there's a homophone of plural "they" that's marked for the singular, but that "they" is underspecified for number. That's an unusual state of affairs, but English number agreement is independently known to be unusual. There's few if any other languages where the 3rd person singular is the only place in the verbal paradigm that usually shows visible concord. The exact opposite is much more common: the 3rd Sg typically has no agreement marker where the other slots in the paradigm do have one, or had the phonologically lightest marker.

What I'm saying is: there probably is no "singular they" in English, in the sense of a separate word that that is marked for singular and happens to sound and spell the same as another word that is marked for plural. There probably isn't a "plural they" either. There is only one "they" which is unspecified for number, gender and specificity. Its usage where it picks up a (grammatically and/or) semantically singular antecedent is restricted by the "Elsewhere principle", or by the convention of using the most restricted whose specifications don't produce a mismatch. A grammatical example would be English verbal inflection: it's not parsimonious to suggest there a five different, lexically distinct, verb endings in the present indicative and another six in the subjunctive that all happen to be homophonous, i.e realised as a null suffix. Its much more plausible that English main verbs really only have two endings, one that's specified for 3rd person singular indicative and one that's fully unspecified.
That's a fascinating hypothesis but I doubt if its parsimony can be evaluated by examining Modern English without taking into account the history of how the rest of Old English's case endings were lost. And I think pursuing it will take us far afield; we should be able to settle our current dispute on narrower grounds.

A loose analogue outside of grammar could be how you usually wouldn't say "I'm going to Europe" when the only planned stop is in Paris.

Here's an example from Shakespeare: "
There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
As if I were their well-acquainted friend."

And another from the King James Bible: "Let nothing bee done through strife, or vaine glory, but in lowlinesse of minde let each esteeme other better then themselues."

(Examples via https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=24504, there's more there)
Thanks for injecting some hard data. Let's see what it tells us...

It appears English does have a word for "a person who's sex not known or irrelevant, in the singular", and it's "they" (which just so happens to also be a word for "persons, plural" and for "inanimate objects, plural"),
That's not hard data; that's a theory. I.e., it's a testable hypothesis that's been proposed as an explanation for hard data. Testing it means answering three questions. How well does it predict actual in-the-wild examples of the usage in question? How badly does it falsely predict examples of the usage in question? And how does it compare with competing theories?

For the first question, Shakespeare? Check. Bible? Check.
Well, something we agree upon...
For the second question, all your examples are usage, so I went browsing for examples of non-usage in the wild. (...). I submit that Bibi's and Robert's maleness is irrelevant to what was being said about them. If the theory were correct then English-speakers would use "they/them/their" for singular antecedents a lot more than we do.
I refer to my extra-grammatical analogy further up: if you went to Paris for the weekend, you'd tell people "I went to Paris for the weekend", not "I went to Europe for the weekend", even if you weren't planning with following up with anything Paris specific - indeed even if you specifically bring it up to boast how you can still afford transatlantic weekend trips during this economic crisis, or to annoy someone who wants to ban "needless" air travel for ecological reasons, ie if the only relevant aspect of your trip is indeed that you went to Europe. Language expects you to be as specific as you can without being obtuse.
To add, sticking with the Paris/ Europe analogy: If you want to keep it unknown that it is Paris you went to (because its the Bush Jr years and "French fries" were just renamed and your conversation partner is a staunch Republican), or if you think mentioning it might cause confusion (because you expect them to not know where Paris is located), you're free to say that you "went to Europe". You wouldn't be lying by doing so. At best you'd be an incompletely collaborative communicator.
When talking about a specific referential entity known to both hearer and speaker to be singular and male, your audience expects you to use "he" - because all the boxes for the use of "he" are ticked, not because "they" would cause a grammatical mismatch.
And again, you wouldn't be lying by using "they", even though you might set your audience off searching for a different antecedent.
It seems to me your analogy breaks down here. When I say I "went to Europe", that does not set my audience off searching for a city other than Paris. The whole reason saying "they" might set my audience off searching for a different antecedent is precisely because using "they" on a specific referential entity known to both hearer and speaker to be singular and male causes a grammatical mismatch, not just incompletely collaborative communication. That's not just based on my own grammatical intuition -- the Lagunoff dissertation you linked backs me up on this. Using "they" for such an antecedent is not English.

For the third question, I don't know what competing theories linguists have considered, but the one that occurs to me is that "they" isn't being treated as an honorary singular pronoun after all; rather, the grammatically singular antecedents in these cases are treated as honorary groups.
(...) In some dialects of English, mostly British varieties, plural agreement with grammatically singular nouns is readily available. Constructions like "Parliament are discussing topic X tonight" or "the committed continue to be divided" (...)
You probably guessed this was supposed to read "the committee continue to be divided", but adding it just in case.
(...)
Why I'm saying they're probably not semantically plural is this: they allow distributive readings with singular predicates. Most speakers of English accept "every professor had a rebellious phase when they were a student" as a well formed sentence of the language (whether it's true is a different discussion). The analogue is not possible for unambiguously plural subjects: "all professors had a rebellious phase when they were a student" or "the professors..." seems to imply that they were collectively one student before splitting up into multiple professors. So the availability of "they" in "every professor had a rebellious phase when they were a student" does not predict plural-like behaviour in what predicates are available.
The converse is also true: you don't get collective readings with "each/every". "All (the) striking labourers assembled at the factory doors" is not like "every striking labourer assembled at the factory doors", in that only one of them is English
I don't think that's a counterexample, any more than your earlier "every one I speak to vanish as soon as they hear my voice" interpretation was. My hypothesis never involved any retrocausality, any notional pluralizing of a grammatically singular noun phrase before using "they" brings it on. You do get collective readings with "every" after an appearance of "they" has done its work. "Every striking laborer picked up a sign when they assembled at the factory doors." is English.

But never mind that. "Every professor had a rebellious phase when they were a student" is a problem for my hypothesis, and Lagunoff included other examples it doesn't account for. The theory that "they" pluralizes its antecedent doesn't predict the antecedent flipping back to singular; it predicts "Every professor had a rebellious phase when they were students." The tragedy of science: a beautiful theory slain by an ugly fact.

That said, though, my contention doesn't hang on any specific theory for accounting for "they" usage. It hangs on the demanded construct not being English -- on the nonoccurrence of "* Sodomize Bibi. They will kill as many people as they can get away with." The exact reason it isn't English hardly matters. Lagunoff's apparently correct explanation for why it isn't English makes my case for me every bit as much as my own explanation would have had it been correct.

When talking about a specific referential entity known to both hearer and speaker to be singular and male, your audience expects you to use "he" - because all the boxes for the use of "he" are ticked, not because "they" would cause a grammatical mismatch.
[+Plural] vs. [-Plural] isn't the only possible grammatical mismatch. The mismatch Lagunoff points out is [+Referential] vs. [-Referential]. Of course, as she says, the term “referentiality” has been used with many different definitions in many different contexts, making it problematic; I'm not sure what you mean by "referential". But in her usage, it is precisely the fact that "Bibi" is singular and referential that makes "they" unavailable for it. The boxes for "he" are ticked, yes; but the critical point is that the boxes for "they" aren't. All those examples of singular "they", from your corpus and hers, are nonreferential in Lagunoff's terminology.

(Of course "Alice and Bob think they love each other." is perfect English, and "Alice and Bob" is referential, so one might well dispute that "they" is marked [-Referential]. And you'd no doubt argue that two "they" homonyms, one [-Referential] and one [+Plural], is an unparsimonious hypothesis. Fine. Lagunoff's theory amounts to saying "they" is marked [-(Singular & Referential)]. "Bibi" is marked [+(Singular & Referential)]. That's the grammatical mismatch. Any objection to compound markings with "&" in them would be a map/territory fallacy.)

Here's a dissertation that talks about all of this in more detail than I ever could. Don't be scared of by the categorisation "applied linguistics" in the cover, at least one of the advisers is a syntactician: https://lingbuzz.net/lingbuzz/006367

Rachel Lagunoff said:
4.3 Names and Deixis
Proper names can never be antecedents of singular they. Even names which can be used for people of either sex are not available. Names must be distinguished from all other types of NPs for this reason. In fact, Russell’s (1919) classification of names and deictics53 as referential and all other NPs as descriptions which do not in and of themselves refer makes exactly such a distinction. The semantics and pragmatics of the referentiality of names can explain why names referring to a single person force the choice of a gender-marked third person singular pronoun.

Agreement with non-name antecedents and anaphoric pronouns is based on abstract categories matched in the grammar (see Chapter 5). However, since names are referential, the pronouns anaphoric to them are also referential (Neale, 1990). Thus, pronoun number must match the actual countable number of referents. When one person is referred to by name or by pointing, an associated pronoun must pragmatically indicate that one person is referred to. While they can indicate ‘at least one’ in grammatical agreement, only he or she can indicate ‘exactly one’, and ‘exactly one’ is called for in a context where one person is referred to directly. This analysis is based only on number; however, a gender must also be chosen since the referentially singular third person pronouns are obligatorily gender-marked.

Proper names do not have grammatical gender in the same way common nouns do, but are associated to males or females by social convention. Since names directly refer, any name can be assigned to any referent, with the appropriate pronoun chosen based on the sex of the referent, not the form of the name.
6.0 Summary
It is possible for singular they to have a (semantically or morphologically) gender-marked antecedent, but only when the antecedent does not introduce a discourse referent (in the sense of Karttunen, 1976). Singular they is unacceptable to all native speakers of English when the antecedent is a proper name, whether or not the sex of the referent can be determined by the name. Since singular they is also impossible when referring to a person by pointing, the relevant semantic concept is referentiality (as defined by Russell 1919, and Neale 1990): singular they cannot be anaphoric to a referential antecedent.

Not to mention the fact that the plural form is just as appropriate even here.I still find it hard to believe that he doesn't seem to understand what Newspeak is (...)

"Newspeak... is a controlled language of simplified grammar and limited vocabulary designed to limit a person's ability for critical thinking." -wikipedia

Im pretty sure he does understand, the disagreement is in whether it applies.
Orwell wrote an awful lot about Newspeak in 1984, far too much to be captured in a one-line description. It should be painfully obvious that any given aspect of it will inevitably be more salient in the minds of some readers than others; likewise, it should be painfully obvious that the concept has taken on a life of its own in the years since 1949 as readers have talked about it to one another. Accusing someone of ignorance or bad faith simply because he drew upon a different selection of its characteristics from whichever selection happens to be uppermost in one's own mind is asinine. To quote Jarhyn's above link:

"In contemporary political usage, the term Newspeak is used to impugn an opponent who introduces new definitions of words to suit their political agenda."​

As for "controlled language of simplified grammar and limited vocabulary designed to limit a person's ability for critical thinking", if anyone cares about my thoughts, Jarhyn is plainly trying to impose a controlled language. Simplification of grammar seems immaterial to me -- after all, Esperanto has highly simplified grammar and its millions of speakers would surely insist they can think critically in it just fine. Trying to limit ability for critical thinking by language control strikes me as an exercise in supreme futility, driven by arrogance, linguistic chauvinism, and gross underestimation of the ingenuity and mental flexibility of one's intended victims. People will find ways to think outside whatever box one tries to confine them in; the notion that some languages are better for thinking in than others was no doubt all the rage in 1949 but by my lifetime had mostly been abandoned except by partisans of French; and if Newspeak had somehow actually accomplished that goal then the Party would have just been shooting itself in the foot, since it would have stopped critical thinking in Party members but not in Proles, ultimately guaranteeing a revolution overthrowing English Socialism.

That leaves limited vocabulary. It should be painfully obvious that Jarhyn limited my attempt to add some vocabulary to English. Nonbinary people and their "allies" demanding we use "they" their way is a limit on existing vocabulary analogous to the famous Newspeak example of "free" being retained but with its meaning reduced to "dog free of fleas" -- they're trying to reduce the definition of "they" from 3rd-person-pronoun[unmarked gender,-(singular & referential)] to 3rd-person-pronoun[unmarked gender]. And both limits are in the service of a more insidious third limit, a limit Jarhyn and Janice both tried to perpetrate upthread. The underlying goal seems to be to delete an entire existing concept from our language in the hope of deleting it from our minds: the very concept of gender itself.

Back
Top Bottom