• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

George Floyd murderer's trial

What Do You Think The Jury Will Do?

• Murder in the 2nd Degree

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Manslaughter

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Not Guilty

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Hung Jury

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Murder in the 3rd Degree

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Minnesota judge finds aggravating factors in George Floyd murder | Reuters
In a six-page ruling dated Tuesday, District Court Judge Peter Cahill found that prosecutors had shown there were four aggravating factors in the death of Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man.

The judge said Chauvin, who is white, abused his position of trust and authority and treated Floyd with particular cruelty. He committed the crime as part of a group with three other officers and did so with children present, Cahill ruled.

"The slow death of George Floyd occurring over approximately six minutes of his positional asphyxia was particularly cruel in that Mr. Floyd was begging for his life and obviously terrified by the knowledge that he was likely to die but during which the defendant objectively remained indifferent to Mr. Floyd's pleas," Cahill wrote.

Also,
Judge postpones trial for three ex-cops in George Floyd case | Reuters
A judge in Minneapolis on Thursday postponed the trial of three former policemen accused of taking part in the murder of George Floyd to March 2022, saying the federal case against the men should proceed first, local media reported.

Feels like this is going against the spirit of double jeopardy having state and federal charges for the same crime.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/17/scotus-allows-states-and-federal-government-to-prosecute-a-person-for-the-same-crime.html

In a 7-2 ruling, the justices affirmed the so-called “dual sovereignty” exception to the Constitution’s double jeopardy clause. The opinion was authored by Justice Samuel Alito, who wrote that the rule is “not an exception at all.”

The Fifth Amendment’s double jeopardy clause states that “No person shall [...] be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb.” Alito wrote that because states and the federal government are both sovereign governments, a violation of state and federal law is not the “same offense,” but is instead separate offenses.

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Neil Gorsuch, in separate dissents, took issue with the majority’s formula.

In her dissent, Ginsburg wrote that under the Constitution, it is the governed, not the governments, who are the ultimate sovereigns.

In his dissent, Gorsuch wrote that a “free society does not allow its government to try the same individual for the same crime until it’s happy with the result.”

Who is charged with federal and state charges for the crime?

Feels like this is going against the spirit of double jeopardy having state and federal charges for the same crime.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/17/scotus-allows-states-and-federal-government-to-prosecute-a-person-for-the-same-crime.html

In a 7-2 ruling, the justices affirmed the so-called “dual sovereignty” exception to the Constitution’s double jeopardy clause. The opinion was authored by Justice Samuel Alito, who wrote that the rule is “not an exception at all.”

The Fifth Amendment’s double jeopardy clause states that “No person shall [...] be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb.” Alito wrote that because states and the federal government are both sovereign governments, a violation of state and federal law is not the “same offense,” but is instead separate offenses.

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Neil Gorsuch, in separate dissents, took issue with the majority’s formula.

In her dissent, Ginsburg wrote that under the Constitution, it is the governed, not the governments, who are the ultimate sovereigns.

In his dissent, Gorsuch wrote that a “free society does not allow its government to try the same individual for the same crime until it’s happy with the result.”

I will mirror such consternation over trying anyone multiply. Alito is a piece of shit, but I might point out that with Beerbro et Al on the court, we are liable to see more of these offenses to good logic.

Oh, how Alito must be fuming that his ruling is letting a COP get double Jeopardied instead of a black man or whatever ..

Granted, in other news, the Booger Boi who torched the police station got a 12m dollar restitution levied.

For some reason, I recall a lot of consternation about arsons in Minneapolis, but the right seems suspiciously silent here concerning this turn of events: that the worst of the fires were set by far-right agitators.

Breaking news: a black accomplice of the supposed "far right agitator Booger Boi" was just sentenced.

Third Minneapolis Police Precinct Arsonist Sentenced

Devon Turner was sentenced to three years and ordered to pay 12 million restitution.

And this is from last week about one of the white arsonists (the 3rd precinct arson was committed by a diverse group of two whites and two blacks).
Protester at BLM rally on why he took part in Minneapolis arson
Al Jazeera said:
“I’ve seen articles accusing me of being part of the Boogaloo Bois. I’ve seen YouTube videos and posts on Instagram saying I’m part of the KKK or I’m a white supremacist and my goal was to frame Black Lives Matter as a collective for the arson of the precinct,” Wolfe said.
“None of that is true.”
[...]
Floyd was killed on a Monday. Large crowds began marching to the third precinct, and by Wednesday, the law enforcement facility was burned.
From “Wednesday until Saturday morning, I never went home”, Wolfe continued. Wolfe said he followed the demonstrations to the precinct, enjoying the feeling of belonging it provided, which is attractive to someone in a manic state.
He is blaming his participation in the arson on bipolar disorder, but in any case, he is a true believer who was angry about George Floyd, and not some "Boogaloo Boi" committing a false flag attack.

So much for your misinformation campaign about the arson being committed by "far-right agitators". :rolleyes:

Granted, in other news, the Booger Boi who torched the police station got a 12m dollar restitution levied.

For some reason, I recall a lot of consternation about arsons in Minneapolis, but the right seems suspiciously silent here concerning this turn of events: that the worst of the fires were set by far-right agitators.

Breaking news: a black accomplice of the supposed "far right agitator Booger Boi" was just sentenced.

Third Minneapolis Police Precinct Arsonist Sentenced

Devon Turner was sentenced to three years and ordered to pay 12 million restitution.

And this is from last week about one of the white arsonists (the 3rd precinct arson was committed by a diverse group of two whites and two blacks).
Protester at BLM rally on why he took part in Minneapolis arson
Al Jazeera said:
“I’ve seen articles accusing me of being part of the Boogaloo Bois. I’ve seen YouTube videos and posts on Instagram saying I’m part of the KKK or I’m a white supremacist and my goal was to frame Black Lives Matter as a collective for the arson of the precinct,” Wolfe said.
“None of that is true.”
[...]
Floyd was killed on a Monday. Large crowds began marching to the third precinct, and by Wednesday, the law enforcement facility was burned.
From “Wednesday until Saturday morning, I never went home”, Wolfe continued. Wolfe said he followed the demonstrations to the precinct, enjoying the feeling of belonging it provided, which is attractive to someone in a manic state.
He is blaming his participation in the arson on bipolar disorder, but in any case, he is a true believer who was angry about George Floyd, and not some "Boogaloo Boi" committing a false flag attack.

So much for your misinformation campaign about the arson being committed by "far-right agitators". :rolleyes:

At this point his claims are worth what I just left in the toilet, and should probably go flush.

The far right agitators have repeatedly demonstrated that they will Lie for Jesus and False Flag as much as they can get away with.

If the goal was to finger BLM, it makes entire sense why someone trying to finger BLM would claim he was involved with BLM and not BoogerBois

At this point his claims are worth what I just left in the toilet, and should probably go flush.
As are your claims that everybody involved in

The far right agitators have repeatedly demonstrated that they will Lie for Jesus and False Flag as much as they can get away with.
If the goal was to finger BLM, it makes entire sense why someone trying to finger BLM would claim he was involved with BLM and not BoogerBois
Is that why he was working with two black guys?

Why is it so hard for you to believe that some left wing activists (#BLM, Antifa) do bad things? Your conspiracy theory is no different than the conspiracy theory that those who attacked the Capitol were all Antifa.

Former Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin pleads not guilty to federal charges

(CNN)Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was convicted in April on state murder charges for killing George Floyd, pleaded not guilty on Thursday in a federal case related to the use of unreasonable force on a 14-year-old in September 2017.

Chauvin was arraigned via video conference before US District Magistrate Judge Hildy Bowbeer on two counts of federal civil rights violations. He declined to have the charges read against him in court.

The ex-cop wore a tan shirt in what appeared to be a conference room -- a yellow pad in front of him -- at Minnesota's maximum-security prison in Oak Park Heights outside of Minneapolis, where he's serving a 22 1/2-year sentence for Floyd's murder. He spoke briefly, answering short procedural questions and entering his plea.

A federal grand jury indicted Chauvin and three other former officers in May for allegedly violating Floyd's constitutional rights.

Chauvin also was charged in the separate indictment involving the Minneapolis 14-year-old in September 2017, according to the Justice Department.
The first count of that indictment said Chauvin "held the teenager by the throat and struck the teenager multiple times in the head with a flashlight," the DOJ said in a statement at the time.

How can such bad things happen to such a nice guy?

St. Paul, Minnesota (CNN)Cross-examination of Tou Thao got tense Wednesday as the ex-officer snapped at the prosecutor for asking why he didn't tell Derek Chauvin to get off George Floyd's neck and back during the 9 minutes and 29 seconds.
"I think I would trust a 19-year veteran to figure it out," Thao said on the stand.
Thao is one of three officers -- including J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane -- standing trial in federal court for violating Floyd's civil rights.
All three are each charged with deprivation of rights under color of law as Chauvin restrained Floyd. Thao and Kueng are also charged with willfully failing to intervene in Chauvin's use of unreasonable force, resulting in Floyd's death.
The three have pleaded not guilty to the federal charges and are being tried together. Chauvin admitted guilt in December as part of a plea deal.
All three former officers will face a state trial later this year on charges of aiding and abetting in Floyd's murder.
Kueng and Thao told US District Judge Paul Magnuson on Monday they planned to testify in their own defense.

St. Paul, Minnesota (CNN)Cross-examination of Tou Thao got tense Wednesday as the ex-officer snapped at the prosecutor for asking why he didn't tell Derek Chauvin to get off George Floyd's neck and back during the 9 minutes and 29 seconds.
"I think I would trust a 19-year veteran to figure it out," Thao said on the stand.
Thao is one of three officers -- including J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane -- standing trial in federal court for violating Floyd's civil rights.
All three are each charged with deprivation of rights under color of law as Chauvin restrained Floyd. Thao and Kueng are also charged with willfully failing to intervene in Chauvin's use of unreasonable force, resulting in Floyd's death.
The three have pleaded not guilty to the federal charges and are being tried together. Chauvin admitted guilt in December as part of a plea deal.
All three former officers will face a state trial later this year on charges of aiding and abetting in Floyd's murder.
Kueng and Thao told US District Judge Paul Magnuson on Monday they planned to testify in their own defense.
Officer Thao was caught between a rock (saving a suspect) and a hard place (going against a veteran officer). He made his choice and now he has to live with its consequences.

What I will never quite erase from my brain is the video showing Thao’s face as he refused to listen to bystanders begging for Floyd’s life. He just looked smug.

Officer Thao was caught between a rock (saving a suspect) and a hard place (going against a veteran officer). He made his choice and now he has to live with its consequences.
Says a lot about the police force though.

I've pointed this out many times, but unfortunately it bears repeating; "no law enforcement agency is under any obligation to report a death in custody or a shooting in action to a higher authority". This only applies in the United States.

Says a lot about the police force though.

I've pointed this out many times, but unfortunately it bears repeating; "no law enforcement agency is under any obligation to report a death in custody or a shooting in action to a higher authority". This only applies in the United States.
Well, maybe you should have stopped repeating that in 2013 when the department of justice implemented the Death in Custody Reporting Act... which was later assessed in 2018 for effectiveness. you can read that report here:

Well, maybe you should have stopped repeating that in 2013 when the department of justice implemented the Death in Custody Reporting Act... which was later assessed in 2018 for effectiveness. you can read that report here:
Thank you for the link. The conclusion of the report (found on page 21) is not very reassuring, especially considering the amount of police shootings that people are protesting against are being done by state law enforcement.

Thank you for the link. The conclusion of the report (found on page 21) is not very reassuring, especially considering the amount of police shootings that people are protesting against are being done by state law enforcement.
It's fine to move the goalpost from "there is no accountability of any sort" to "the accountability is not very reassuring to me"... but note the difference between the two realities is that one could be imagined to foster institutionalized racism, and the other cannot.

All three found guilty on all their charges in federal trial.

This is extremely bad news for those of us that have gotten very used to imagining everything is fostering or is a result of institutionalized racism.

You're the only one on this forum I see still using the word institutionalized. Institutionalized slavery & oppression of black people was done away with, but that doesn't stop you from imagining that a black kid was yelling in a video when he clearly wasn't. The racism may not be institutionalized but it exists right there inside of you bruh.

Back
Top Bottom