• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

George Floyd murderer's trial

What Do You Think The Jury Will Do?

• Murder in the 2nd Degree

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Manslaughter

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Not Guilty

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Hung Jury

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Murder in the 3rd Degree

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

ST. PAUL, Minn. – A federal judge sentenced former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin to 21 years in prison for violating George Floyd's civil rights when he killed Floyd by pinning the unarmed Black man to the pavement with his knee for more than nine minutes.

In December, Chauvin pleaded guilty to violating Floyd's civil rights, admitting for the first time that he kept his knee on Floyd’s neck – even after he became unresponsive – resulting in the Black man’s death on May 25, 2020. The white former officer admitted he willfully deprived Floyd of his right to be free from unreasonable seizure, including unreasonable force by a police officer.

Chauvin was convicted in a separate case on state charges of murder and manslaughter and is already jailed.

The federal sentence adds a few years to the time Chauvin is already serving for his murder conviction.

Chauvin will now serve the new federal sentence in a federal prison, in addition to serving his state sentence there, based on the plea agreement.

A substantial amount of people in my circle won't be happy with him serving state and federal time concurrently (they wanted him to get life with no chance of parole) & I understand that. At his age 20 years in prison is nothing to scoff at. I wonder what will happen with his pension though. He shouldn't be allowed to file bankruptcy to protect it. Bankruptcy can't wipe out restitution for criminal acts right?

A substantial amount of people in my circle won't be happy with him serving state and federal time concurrently (they wanted him to get life with no chance of parole) & I understand that. At his age 20 years in prison is nothing to scoff at. I wonder what will happen with his pension though. He shouldn't be allowed to file bankruptcy to protect it. Bankruptcy can't wipe out restitution for criminal acts right?
From what I understand, vested pensions cannot be taken away for any reason.

Not taken away sure but once he receives payment(s) wouldn't all money present in any account be seized for said restitution? I'd thank that's how it would work. Like the family's lawyer can maybe get a court order for the pension account holder to advise them on when and where any money is to be moved so they can seize the receiving account in advance and allow the funds to continue trickling in. Rinse and repeat if the criminal tries to set up deposits to different accounts.

Not taken away sure but once he receives payment(s) wouldn't all money present in any account be seized for said restitution? I'd thank that's how it would work. Like the family's lawyer can maybe get a court order for the pension account holder to advise them on when and where any money is to be moved so they can seize the receiving account in advance and allow the funds to continue trickling in. Rinse and repeat if the criminal tries to set up deposits to different accounts.
This I agree with.

A bad person met a bad cop and a bad thing happened.

Dude should get involuntary manslaughter. But holding GF up like a saint is a huge problem also. I can side with with people saying the cop was wrong. And looking at that cops history he was.

I can not side with people that are attacking all cops in the name of Floyd. That is as mythical as many other beliefs.

Thanks for sharing SIB. Now, go to Twitter where you can find the people attacking all cops over Floyd, or quote and reply to the member who did so on this forum. I'm not saying you can't randomly post your thoughts but I am implying that doing so makes you seem socially inept. Welcome to IIBD friend. :D

A bad person met a bad cop and a bad thing happened.
George Floyd wasn't a saint, nor was he a "bad person". He might not have been particularly good, but he was murdered by an officer was acting like a petty angry fool, not a police officer. He asphyxiated a guy who was trying to pass a fake $20 bill. He quite voluntarily did so.

Yeah, there's stuff called due process & civil rights that don't magically vanish because you committed a crime. Duh

According the article in this mornings Minneapolis Star Tribune, Chauvin is likely to serve just 17 years of sentences for the state crimes.

I can not side with people that are attacking all cops in the name of Floyd. That is as mythical as many other beliefs.
Good thing no one is doing that then.
So, it is pointedly that we DO attack all cops who do not stand against the perversion of justice to racism, pettiness, oppression, and greed.

We DO NOT attack cops who DO stand against the perversion of justice.

Therefore we do not attack all cops.

The problem is that I don't see very many cops standing against the perversion of justice.

"Vanishingly few" is an apt descriptor.

So, it is pointedly that we DO attack all cops who do not stand against the perversion of justice to racism, pettiness, oppression, and greed.

The problem is that I don't see very many cops standing against the perversion of justice.

We also don't see many "people" standing in the way against perversion of justice within their own groups. "Police our own", no punn intended, like you are alluding to is very important to me. To me, police are viewed the way they are because of police not addressing their own.

To me todays world seems to be "If you're not with us you are against". That leaves very little space for "Hey, why are we doing this/that?" Like policing our own first. "Just don't slow us down, we are fighting for you too." is a very powerful notion than some people don't think through.

I guess I have a bit of bias. I am more anti-criminal then anti-cop in general. I always look at the event that lead to the initial meeting of cop vs person. So how do we lessen personal bias? Maybe my anti-criminal bias is in error. List the good things cops do and list the bad things they do. What side is the balance tipped?

I know one thing, cities are more unsafe today than they have ever been. I wonder if the steps taken to reduce police effectiveness play a role? I know in science/engineering that profiling the behavior of system(s) is key to design proper solutions that work.

We also don't see many "people" standing in the way against perversion of justice within their own groups. "Police our own", no punn intended, like you are alluding to is very important to me. To me, police are viewed the way they are because of police not addressing their own.

To me todays world seems to be "If you're not with us you are against". That leaves very little space for "Hey, why are we doing this/that?" Like policing our own first. "Just don't slow us down, we are fighting for you too." is a very powerful notion than some people don't think through.

I guess I have a bit of bias. I am more anti-criminal then anti-cop in general. I always look at the event that lead to the initial meeting of cop vs person. So how do we lessen personal bias? Maybe my anti-criminal bias is in error. List the good things cops do and list the bad things they do. What side is the balance tipped?

I know one thing, cities are more unsafe today than they have ever been. I wonder if the steps taken to reduce police effectiveness play a role? I know in science/engineering that profiling the behavior of system(s) is key to design proper solutions that work.
I don't know what communities you exist in, but all the communities I'm in tend to reject bad-faith actors quite vigorously, and are generally on the look out for such.

I'm not gonna play "all things balanced". I'm going to say we have plenty of humans, and we can absolutely select the outliers in the population that are more or less capable of doing the job well.

So if you see your communities as not policing your own, start policing your communities properly. Just be very careful of how you do it, because if you do it on bad or unsound principles, you're going to be part of the problem.

There's a reason that in sane countries, they require cops to have degrees.

I don't know what communities you exist in, but all the communities I'm in tend to reject bad-faith actors quite vigorously, and are generally on the look out for such.

I'm not gonna play "all things balanced". I'm going to say we have plenty of humans, and we can absolutely select the outliers in the population that are more or less capable of doing the job well.

So if you see your communities as not policing your own, start policing your communities properly. Just be very careful of how you do it, because if you do it on bad or unsound principles, you're going to be part of the problem.

There's a reason that in sane countries, they require cops to have degrees.
While I agree, there is also the fact that sane countries arean't awash in guns like the US is.

I can't imagine a community that doesn't have members that get together in hopes to improve their community. Even the worst parts of Chicago have that. The police have and always will be an important part of our efforts (at least here in Orange county Florida). What I see are some folks that live outside of my community getting their info about my community from the likes of Fox & CNN, then passing judgment without once setting a foot in my community. They also use statistics to show crime rates vs racial backgrounds as if to say "get your shit together before complaining" as if the complaining isn't a part of us getting our shit together. Anytime (throughout the history of this country) black people get together for a cause we receive the usual "look at those thugs" to divert the conversation.

We're fucking looking at those thugs too! We don't want gang violence! We want what America stands for but for some reason, the good people in my community remain invisible. And it's not because we aren't trying to be seen*.

*See BLM members who aren't resorting to riots and actually try to remove those people from their protests. Oh? I forgot they are invisible.

So you're viewing Police as though they are an ethnic group. What is wrong with you?
Firstly it's "today's" no "todays". And the phrase is "If you are not with us then you are against us". Which is a fucking shit attitude to have with regards to law enforcement. Cops should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen and there should be zero tolerance towards Police corruption. Do you really need an explanation as to why?
I guess I have a bit of bias. I am more anti-criminal then anti-cop in general.
Pedantry part first. You definitely have an anti-grammar bias. "Than" is the correct word to use in your bullshit statement, not "then". If you want a mnemonic to help you here's one; "SIB fucked up his sentence then was made to look quite foolish. I, on the other hand, am much smarter than you". Hope that helps.
Now to address your bullshit assertion. No one here is pro-criminal or anti-cop. That is simply you being butt hurt because you are making shitty arguments and are being called to account. Which, incidentally is all I want from Police, To be held accountable for their actions. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes and all that. It's hardly a unique or revolutionary sentiment yet right wingers get their tits in such a flutter when it is raised.
List the good things cops do and list the bad things they do.
That's a fucked way of looking at things. Bill Cosby did a lot of charity work. This is an even more fucked sentiment if you apply it to law enforcement. If you genuinely want to know why, google Roger Caleb Rogerson.
I know one thing, cities are more unsafe today than they have ever been. I wonder if the steps taken to reduce police effectiveness play a role?
Nope. More like reduced trust in law enforcement because of decades of corruption. That you believe this started with George Floyd only shows your ignorance on the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one here is pro-criminal or anti-cop.
I dunno about that, Patooka.
I see how unconcerned our RW extremists here are about the several cops their brethren killed and 140 or so cops they injured on 1/6.
I can't think of anything more "anti-cop" than that off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom