• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

George Zimmerman got punched in the face...

Except that very question is rooted in the wrongful conflating of the law and the outcome one wants in a particular situation. You can have each person deciding what they personally want to see happen in a situation, and at the same time they also defer to formal systems and delegated authorities to determine what the outcome is in any formal legal decision.
I can support laws against vigilante killings, and support that the law should strive to go after such killers. That doesn't dictate my conscience or how I feel (or even what I do) if I see a guy rape and murder a child then see the parent of that child shoot that guy as he tries to escape. If I have that certainty of knowledge in a particular case, then I want the parent to get away with it and even not go through the strain of a trial. That is not inconsistent with (because it is irrelevant to) what I want the laws to be or how I want I want the standard principles of law enforcement and prosecution to be, because those things must strive to operate with consistency to minimize injustice overall, not guarantee justice in any specific case.

But it's the tradeoff in any justice system though. We can make it so that the person harmed or family members decide the punishment. We can make it so the whole country votes the guilt and punishment, or we can have some type of judge/jury system. Humans have a very weird mix of emotions.

No tradeoff is needed because they are two separate things: 1) What the formal system of rules for deciding punishment in general?; 2) What do you want the punishment to be in a specific instance?

But it's the tradeoff in any justice system though. We can make it so that the person harmed or family members decide the punishment. We can make it so the whole country votes the guilt and punishment, or we can have some type of judge/jury system. Humans have a very weird mix of emotions.

No tradeoff is needed because they are two separate things: 1) What the formal system of rules for deciding punishment in general?; 2) What do you want the punishment to be in a specific instance?

In this case people have decided that the punishment for Zimmerman is allowed to be punched in the face. Are people willing to accept that anybody out there can punch them in the face if they think it's the correct punishment for some action? And who determines which actions are acceptable and which actions are not acceptable?

In this case people have decided that the punishment for Zimmerman is allowed to be punched in the face. Are people willing to accept that anybody out there can punch them in the face if they think it's the correct punishment for some action? And who determines which actions are acceptable and which actions are not acceptable?

Speaking for myself: of course it was morally wrong and probably illegal for someone to punch Zimmerman in the face. No matter how much he deserved it and no matter how much delight is felt by me--and thousands of others who read about the punch.

A fitting punishment for Zimmerman would be a significant jail sentence. For any of his previous assaults on various people, not just the cowardly stalking and murder of a 16 year old boy walking home from the local convenience store with treats for himself and his little brother.

In this case people have decided that the punishment for Zimmerman is allowed to be punched in the face.
He wasn't punched in the face.

The title thread and the news report was wrong?

Accounts from eye witnesses vary. I'm sure if you and I were in a bar, and I shoved you hard enough to push you over, half the people there would say I decked you with one punch.
Then the cops will try and sort out what happened and both guys may just be given a warning.

Another perspective on BLM from non white and white people re All Lives Matter.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRZks2UKlw[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, yeah, those bullshitters.

I've got nothing but hate for them, so...I'll just let it go.

Do people even say 'pwned' anymore? It's like politicians doing the Macarena

I have no sympathy for this guy. I don't condone violence, even against him, if it wasn't legally justified.

I think Zimmerman is missing a great business opportunity. He should produce a line of punching bags and targets with his face on them.

I think Zimmerman is missing a great business opportunity. He should produce a line of punching bags and targets with his face on them.
Do you mean pictures of his face?
Because i think hitting him in his actual face is where the big money would be...

So apparently, George Zimmerman was bragging about how he killed Trayvon Martin...and someone took offense, and punched him in the face. And Zimmerman decided to cower and call the cops.

story here, I guess...

I feel bad about this, violence is not the answer...

Is what the better version of me would say. In truth, I laughed, and threw a fist up.
Zimmerman is lucky the puncher did not fear for his life and pull out a gun and kill him.

So apparently, George Zimmerman was bragging about how he killed Trayvon Martin...and someone took offense, and punched him in the face. And Zimmerman decided to cower and call the cops.

story here, I guess...

I feel bad about this, violence is not the answer...

Is what the better version of me would say. In truth, I laughed, and threw a fist up.
Zimmerman is lucky the puncher did not fear for his life and pull out a gun and kill him.

With as much hatred of him as there its something he has to always worry about or find a way to cope with being hated. You can't worry about someone murdering you though.

With as much hatred of him as there its something he has to always worry about or find a way to cope with being hated.

They way to cope with being hated is usually to lay low, and not call attention to yourself. Bragging to complete strangers about the thing everyone hates you for is probably not the best way to avoid the hatred manifesting itself in violence.

With as much hatred of him as there its something he has to always worry about or find a way to cope with being hated.

They way to cope with being hated is usually to lay low, and not call attention to yourself. Bragging to complete strangers about the thing everyone hates you for is probably not the best way to avoid the hatred manifesting itself in violence.

Or that he isn't very worried about it.

Sadly, I'm certain that Zimmerman gets plenty of positive feedback for his actions. Plenty.

Back
Top Bottom