• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Harris Trump debate

Why is no one talking about his repeated ridiculous claim of 'abortions' after birth (ie: infanticide). It's absurd.
And the thing is infanticide is done in USA, perpetuated by the Republicans. For instance, if a pregnant woman has a birth complication where the normal medical procedure is abortion, this is prevented. The result is the baby still dies, and the mother herself can die or be unable to have children in the future, so that is potentially multiple infanticides. Also, of course, there is the unconcern that Republicans have about the needs of actual living children, so that is more child deaths.

Your arithmetic is sound as far as 1971, but your statistical analysis, not so much. Your 4-5 acquaintance is doing all of us a favor by occupying some women that would benefit the rest of us very little. The sociosexual scene you have constructed, simply doesn't exist in reality. If you are unable to find a partner for sex with no attachment or obligation, it's not because hot guys have taken more than their fair share. Drawing on my experience, to be blunt, but gentle as possible, it's not a lack of supply. You are doing something wrong.

As a former "hot guy"(references on request), I can assure you, women do not always go for the hottest guys, no matter how obliging. It was like that in the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.
The problem with this logic is that inherently there must be someone at the bottom of the desirability list. It's simply not possible for that not to be the case.

Like with the job market after the housing collapse. All this crap about trying harder did absolutely nothing about the fact that there were more job seekers than jobs. You look at it and conclude, correctly, that hotness isn't a required attribute. But that doesn't mean there aren't required attributes, just that you failed to identify them.
Your analysis might be valid if there was such a thing as a uniform desirability list. There isn't one. There's a different one for every woman. I had an employee who was a remarkably attractive young woman and happened to be 5 ft 11. She would not date men taller than her because in her experience, "tall guys are assholes." The short guy who never approached her would never learn about his particular advantage.

The comparison to the housing market would make more sense if the house chose the buyer, maybe based on their aesthetic sense of landscaping. I'm sure the prospective buyer who wakes up every morning and says, "There's no house in the world that would have me", is going to be renting for a very long time.

If you Google Danny Trejo, you'll find him somewhere in top five of any Ugliest Actors In Hollywood list. There are three women who thought he was good enough to marry, all before his acting career started. He's 5ft6, so my employee might have found him interesting.

I'm going to have to scroll back a few pages to figure out why this is an issue in the Presidential Politics subforum.
The list is fuzzy, not everyone will rank everyone the same, but there is a general order to it. And if you're on the autism spectrum that throws you way down the list unless you're looking at other people on the spectrum--but note that it skews quite male.

If you consider enough people there's probably a match for most everybody, but there's no database to find them. Maybe you get lucky and find someone, but many less desirable ones never do.

Your generator would help (but note that you can't store gasoline very long) but I would definitely talk to somebody who knows about such things before attempting to make solar panels coexist with a generator.
Most if not all home standby generators run on natural gas or LP gas.
He said "gasoline".
You said gasoline. ??? I have no idea WTF you're going for.

I said most if not all home stand by generators do not run on gasoline.

Your generator would help (but note that you can't store gasoline very long) but I would definitely talk to somebody who knows about such things before attempting to make solar panels coexist with a generator.
He said "gasoline".

I've been looking into generators the last few days, oddly enough. The expensive built in standby ones (like the Generacs) seem to be mostly natural gas. A lot of the portable kind are dual fuel. Gasoline OR propane. Natural gas generators seems like a good idea in a catastrophe, but you are kind of screwed if the gas infrastructure fails or is shut off for safety reasons. I'm thinking mostly earthquakes, which is the big risk out here in CA.

About solar panels, generators, accumulators etc. - I do not know much about these.
A company from a nearby town have made solar panel -systems for four families in this small village. And everyone is happy - except for the cost. ;)
I know that it costs me more to not rely on an expert firm, so I will have them to plan everything and make a budget and so on.

The main thing for me and my son is that there is electricity all the time. My son is a digital nomad. So was I, until the young people in the firm that I worked for understood that I was at that time 72 years old!
I got much price from my earlier employer, but then the company was sold to another company. And those guys - they knew everything and they knew that they know everything... about languages. My +40 years of experience was not needed any more. ;)

I have three other children that I aim to bring here. And at least two of them should work as digital nomads.
Anyway, the situation within two years will be:
- Two houses renovated according to (Western) European standards.
- Cold rooms for the food and woodworking and such facilities.
- Two (or three) gardens that are enough to feed everyone in my extended family.
- I get enough water for the gardens from the river even if the summers seem to get less rain. I will also make a rain-collecting system, because I need cisterns for the automated watering system in the garden. (I am writing a book about "The Lazy Gardener". The watering system is a part of it.)

So our cost will be per annum:
- Internet about 120 $
- Communal tax 7 $ per person
- Communal (drinking)water (about 2 $) per cubic meter.

In one sense I am a prepper, but I have no guns or such - I think that is a little bit extreme. But I want my family to be safe - especially if "The Narcissistic Russian Agent" is elected as US president.

Last edited:
So, whatchall think about that debate?

After giving a few days for dust to settle and Republican damage control to fizzle out, it seems Harris has been rewarded by the polls. Of, credit must be given to Taylor Swift and Scientific American.

Watching the damage control was pretty funny, because nobody listed the points Trump made or the policies he described. The general pitch was to convince the country that Harris thinks she lost, because she is ready for a second debate.

Trump definitely is no more ready for round 2 than he was for the first. A second debate would be fun for some people. "Unhinged" is not the best metaphor. The doors and shutters came off of House Trump a while back. Everyone will be waiting for Trump to declare his lack of a healthcare plan on the Illuminati or lizard people have infiltrated the FBI.

All that matters is we get a good meme out of it. A new catch phrase will do. "Concept of a ...." still has some milage on it. This morning I listened to a UK commentator describe a long distance Ukrainian attack on a Russian logistics center. He said, "Russia's air defense is more of a concept of an air defense" so it's made it across the Atlantic.

He said "gasoline".

"He" = "Henry-Finland". He said "gasoline" so I said "gasoline". I realize it's not the normal fuel of a standby generator, but it's the fuel he identified.

He said "gasoline".

I've been looking into generators the last few days, oddly enough. The expensive built in standby ones (like the Generacs) seem to be mostly natural gas. A lot of the portable kind are dual fuel. Gasoline OR propane. Natural gas generators seems like a good idea in a catastrophe, but you are kind of screwed if the gas infrastructure fails or is shut off for safety reasons. I'm thinking mostly earthquakes, which is the big risk out here in CA.
It's for reasons of storage. Gasoline stores very poorly. Diesel can store reasonably well if treated. Natural gas and propane do not have any shelf life limits.

And while natural gas generators tie you to the gas lines storing the fuel brings it's own safety hazards.

About solar panels, generators, accumulators etc. - I do not know much about these.
A company from a nearby town have made solar panel -systems for four families in this small village. And everyone is happy - except for the cost. ;)
I know that it costs me more to not rely on an expert firm, so I will have them to plan everything and make a budget and so on.

The main thing for me and my son is that there is electricity all the time. My son is a digital nomad. So was I, until the young people in the firm that I worked for understood that I was at that time 72 years old!
Your plans aren't going to work. If there's ongoing power issues don't expect your internet connection to be reliable.

Your plans aren't going to work. If there's ongoing power issues don't expect your internet connection to be reliable.
I have this system and it works pretty well:

Fixed Wireless

• Speed: 5 Mbps to 1 Gbps
  • Technology: Uses radio signals between a ground-based tower and a receiver installed at your location.
  • Pros: Good for rural areas, relatively fast.
  • Cons: Requires a line of sight between the tower and receiver, can be affected by weather.

My main problem has been with the electricity. And that will be solved.

He said "gasoline".

"He" = "Henry-Finland". He said "gasoline" so I said "gasoline". I realize it's not the normal fuel of a standby generator, but it's the fuel he identified.
Just a note:
Back-up generators in Alaska run on gasoline. Natural gas isn't widely available here, and propane gas turns to liquid at -44F (-42C), so it becomes unusable in the depths of winter.

Fixed Wireless

• Technology: Uses radio signals between a ground-based tower and a receiver installed at your location.
  • Cons: Requires a line of sight between the tower and receiver, can be affected by weather.

Think the power at the transmitter will be better than your power??

Such things usually have some on-site battery capacity but that's for minor outages. If the power is off too long they'll go down.

He said "gasoline".

Don't worry about it, it's just LP gas.

Fixed Wireless

Think the power at the transmitter will be better than your power??

Such things usually have some on-site battery capacity but that's for minor outages. If the power is off too long they'll go down.
Time for StarLink!

(I say that with ambivalence, of course. I do not like Elon Musk or his business practices. But Starlink is my only option for broadband. Still one can get internet (laggy, not enough for streaming) via high orbit satellites as well.)

Back
Top Bottom